Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

ARARAT SWEEPS THE 'GENIES'; WINS FIVE 'CANADIAN OSCAR AWARDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARARAT SWEEPS THE 'GENIES'; WINS FIVE 'CANADIAN OSCAR AWARDS

-- Egoyan's Treatment of the Armenian Genocide is Named Best Film;
    Khanjian and Koteas are Honored for their Roles

TORONTO, CANADA - Renowned Director Atom Egoyan's "Ararat," which
    explores the ongoing impact of the Turkish government's denial of
    the Armenian Genocide, was honored as the best Canadian feature
    film of 2002 at the "Genie" awards ceremony held last night.

In addition to best film, "Ararat" won awards in four additional
    categories, best actress, Arsinee Khanjian; best supporting actor
    Elias Koteas; best original score, Mychael Danna, and; best costume
    design, Beth Pasternak.

In a statement issued earlier today, the Armenian National
    Committee of Canada extended its "profound congratulations to the
    five winners of last night's Genie Awards. . . The importance of
    this long overdue film, critical as it is of Turkey's longstanding
    denial of its own history, cannot be overstated. Director Atom
    Egoyan has directed not only a remarkably intricate character
    study, but has managed to do so by exposing the inherent problems
    and consequences of genocide denial, which are still very relevant
    today."

Accepting the best picture award in Egoyan's absence, "Ararat"
    producer Robert Lantos explained that, "Four years ago, I
    challenged Atom to make a film about the tragic story of his
    people, the Armenians. And I said if he did, I would stand by
    him." Egoyan was unable to be present at the award ceremony
    because he is serving on the jury at the Berlin Film Festival.

Best actress winner Arsinee Khanjian, who hosted the "Genie"
    Awards, commented on her victory, noting, "With my work on
    'Ararat,' I wanted to honor the spirit of my ancestors." She then
    thanked her husband, Egoyan, - "without whom I might have become a
    politician," she laughed - before finishing her speech in Armenian.

Having made its world-premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May
    of 2002, "Ararat" is described as Egoyan's most powerful film to
    date, weaving the tale of the estranged members of a contemporary
    Armenian family faced both with Turkey's denial of the Armenian
    Genocide and with their own complicated lives. The film initially
    opened in Los Angeles and New York theaters on November 15th and
    continues to be seen in cities across North America.

As part of their efforts to generate nation-wide awareness of the
    film, the ANCA's regional offices and local chapters organized a
    grassroots campaign to encourage Armenian Americans to "Take a
    Friend to Ararat." In a recent interview with Canada's "Horizon
    Weekly" correspondent Aris Babikian, Director Atom Egoyan stressed
    the importance of these grassroots efforts to the success of the
    film, noting "I can't underestimate the crucial role that the
    Armenian community played at that point through the "Take a Friend
    to Ararat" program and through the Action Alert notices... That
    opening weekend [in Los Angeles and New York] was historic. We had
    a higher per-screen-average than 'Harry Potter.' That is
    remarkable. I think the campaign was able to facilitate wider
    distribution and continued to manifest the passion [Miramax Co-
    Chairman] Harvey [Weinstein] felt."

In October of last year, the ANCA cosponsored, along with the
    Armenian Assembly, a Congressional Armenian Caucus screening of the
    film at the Library of Congress for U.S. Representatives and
    Senators.

yep, very very good news... but too bad it didn't generate anything big in the US. True alot of people went to the premier, including non Armenians here in New York ( i dont know about California). But the general population hasen't even heard about the movie.. it really was a long overdo film exposing Turkish crimes, but i just wish more people here would be interested in seeing it....

Comment

Poor Advertising, no promoting, etc etc the list goes on.

Comment

That's because the entertainment industry is a Jewish pastime and how dare anything but the Holocaust take center stage.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

not only how dare anything but the holocaust take centerstage, but how dare the Armenian Genocide be put in comparison with the holocaust.

Comment

dodood...

ok my opinion of that movie is that it SUCKED i thought it was gonna b solely based on the genocide but the genocide was kinda left in the background i think it was distasteful and couldve been done a bit better... i also think its da first big armo movie made so i guess for now its fine but i hope to see better cuz i didnt really think much of it

Comment

I could say that I was also disappointed in how the Genocide was portrayed in the movie. Although the movie addresses such a grave tragedy that may be shocking when shown in it's full light, the movie was bombarded with unnecessary plots that took away from the whole point of the movie. Needless to say, this is a first attempt, so it should be praised for its efforts. Better films have yet to come.

Comment

"Ararat" is in fact a poor one. Egoyan tried playing with the "stream of consciousness" (which is his "style", if you've seen his other films) and basically fails at it. I dont think that focusing only on the Genocide would be a good way to solve the problem (although focusing on one thing instead of 6-7 would be a good idea! ), because that way the so called target audience would shrink even more. But focusing steadily on Archil Gorky, with the Genocide playing a consistent role (as it did in the artist's life), a very comprehencible and worthy film could be made. Nevertheless, Egoyan is just exprerimenting with this "stream of consciousness" technique, as I said. What we are concerned about is why he allowed himself to experiment when such an issue as the Armenian Genocide is at stake.[/u]

Comment

Originally posted by Chichu
                  "Ararat" is in fact a poor one. Egoyan tried playing with the "stream of consciousness" (which is his "style", if you've seen his other films) and basically fails at it. I dont think that focusing only on the Genocide would be a good way to solve the problem (although focusing on one thing instead of 6-7 would be a good idea! ), because that way the so called target audience would shrink even more. But focusing steadily on Archil Gorky, with the Genocide playing a consistent role (as it did in the artist's life), a very comprehencible and worthy film could be made. Nevertheless, Egoyan is just exprerimenting with this "stream of consciousness" technique, as I said. What we are concerned about is why he allowed himself to experiment when such an issue as the Armenian Genocide is at stake.[/u]
                  all I heard was blah blah .....blah blah blah.... blah blah...
                  is this why you're sitting at home watching TV... and Miramax is paying Egoyan to make films? lol
                  "fails at it"? I thought this thread was about the awards this film has been achieving...
                  it's all good...
                  hating smart asses is just too much work, I just ignore them...

Comment

Fear that lady!
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X