Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Ottomans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Ottomans

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
    I am not kidding. I have heard about 2-3 months ago from a good source on another Armenian Forum. Someone posted it. It's not a joke, it's very sad but apparently it's true.
    argh now thats horrible. i feel sorry for those children

Comment

Originally posted by xcelr8Armo View Post
      argh now thats horrible. i feel sorry for those children
      If I was an Armenian living in Turkey, I wouldn't stay there for one more hour. I don't know why the hell there are so many Armenians still living in there. I know, I know they have buildings and businesses; but I would prefer to leave my things and go anywhere else in the world than stay there.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
        If I was an Armenian living in Turkey, I wouldn't stay there for one more hour. I don't know why the hell there are so many Armenians still living in there. I know, I know they have buildings and businesses; but I would prefer to leave my things and go anywhere else in the world than stay there.
        yeah i agree, sell everything and get out of there.

you never know you could pick up any sort of disease while living in Turkey

Comment

There are Armenian organizations in the US that try to gather as many Armenians as possible from the Eastern part of Turkey to bring them over to Istanbul, then to bring them over to the US. Now that's a good thing. I'd prefer to see all the Armenians leaving Turkey and perhaps go to the Middle East, to Europe or to the US.

Comment

thats great to hear, i didn't know that. They are much better of living in Europe or the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanki View Post
              But I didn't mentioned human rights by saying they are weak.... I mentioned " In Ottoman and Seljuk age, they were weak-military,economy etc"

You said Persia was always weak. But thats fine.

As for the Seljuk age, sure the Persians were politically weak, but they had so much cultural influence over Arabs and Turks by influencing Islamic doctrines and culture.

Originally posted by lampron
              I agree there are many cases of Armenian bravery. But collectively, if we just take the Ottoman seige and conquest of Cyprus in 1570-71, an army of 200,000 ottoman troops was assembled and shipped across the sea. An 11-month seige followed. The defenders were 7,000 strong and isolated. More than 50,000 ottoman military were killed until they conquered the island (let's leave the incredible bravery of the defenders to one side).

Just in that seige the Ottomans probably struggled more than Armenians did from 1375 to 1918.

You cannot use Ottoman military incompetance of the 16th century to justify the Ottomans' massacre of their own Armenian citizens during WWI.

Originally posted by lampron
              You say it was a miracle that Cilicia survived that long. Instead of thinking about survival, isn't it better to think how much more powerful Cilicia could have become? The Ottomans when they crossed into the Balkans were surrounded by Bulgarians, Macedonians, Serbians, Albanians, Byzantines. Not only they 'survived', they ended up nearly taking Vienna.How did they do it?

Turks arrived on the scene when all the major powers were weakened through centuries of fighting. Most of the nations you named were small ones (Macedonians, Serbs, Albanians) or severely declining (Bulgarians and Byzantines). Its not as difficult to dominate nations when you almost always have numerical superiority through a steady migration of people from the Asian Steppes, and when all your enemies have ancient, bitter feuds and are divided as a result and are in decline. The fact that Turks were Muslims didn't hurt their relations with the entire Middle East and North Africa, either.

I don't see how you can compare Cilicia's situation with that of the Turks. Can you even name some similarities?

Comment

Originally posted by xcelr8Armo View Post
                yeah i agree, sell everything and get out of there.

you never know you could pick up any sort of disease while living in Turkey

Amen to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hye_Psycho
                  sorry, but having a healthy Armenian population in 'turkey' is something we should encourage. these people will become very usefull for any future Armenian Millitary incursions into Turkish occupied Armenia.

In any case Turkey is already a melting pot for many different ethnie, We must continue to represent our culture there, even if its semi-turkified. lets not forget they wanted us out/dead, lets not flirt with their 'nationalist' ambitions

As long as Turkey is a NATO member, there no way Armenia is going to start war with Turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post

You cannot use Ottoman military incompetance of the 16th century to justify the Ottomans' massacre of their own Armenian citizens during WWI.
                    I am talking about struggles. The sum total of all the Armenian struggles from the fall of Cilicia to the modern age. How many men involved? How much planning? How much organization? A nation's standing is determined by how much it has exterted itself

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post

I don't see how you can compare Cilicia's situation with that of the Turks. Can you even name some similarities?
                    when the ottomans arrived on the shores of the Marmara sea around 1340AD, most had never seen a ship in their lives. At that time the Armenians of Cilicia controlled a prime Mediterranean seashore maybe up 200 miles long on and off for 200 years. Who had the advantage? The Armenians lost everything. The Ottomans went on to build fleets attacking the Spanish empire at the other end of the Mediterranean

Comment

Originally posted by TXMENIAN View Post
                      As long as Turkey is a NATO member, there no way Armenia is going to start war with Turkey.
                      Nobody is interested in a war with Turkey (or even Azerbaijan), Turkey being in or out of NATO makes no difference. The 99.9% Armenians in Armenia are not interested. The 99.9% Armenians living comfortably in California, Texas, Florida, southern France or wherever are not interested. Karabakh is independent. The number of overseas Armenians who have chosen to live there is probably no more than 50

Comment

Working...
                      X