Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Birth rate in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by Artsakh View Post
    People, people.... How long has it been that "people" have been "crying" that Armenia is emptying, its population has halfed to 1.5 million, etc... Since the very early years after independence. And now you guys are falling for an article authored by none other than the infamous PAUL GOBLE???

First of all, the basic facts are not even correct. Armenia's population NEVER reached 5 million. At most, the population of Armenia has reached around 3.8 million prior to the collapse of the Soviet Union

The number of cars is increasing year after year in Armenia. I got news for you-- sheep ain't driving them.

The horrible traffic in Yerevan speaks for itself as to the supposed "emptiness" of the country.

Moreover, since the onset of the 2008 global financial crisis, where would Armenians "flee" to for "better opportunities"??? The US, Europe and other advanced countries have all been unable to afford their own citizens with opportunities or basic jobs. Highly educated individuals in the US and other advanced countries have unemployed for years now, many lost their homes. So in these past years in particular, Armenians would really have no where else in the world to flee to for better opportunities.

This article is aim at spreading panic among the uninformed.
    Have you ever been somewhere else than your lovely Erevan? Because anywher else than Erevan and its surroundings EVERY city has depopulated. Naturally erevan is the capital and people will move there but anywhre else its catastrophic. I'm talking about more than 50% depopulation in 15/20 years.

Also if you want to feel the real population then don't go in the summer. You will see more tourists than real habitants.

Comment

Originally posted by haydavid View Post
      Have you ever been somewhere else than your lovely Erevan? Because anywher else than Erevan and its surroundings EVERY city has depopulated. Naturally erevan is the capital and people will move there but anywhre else its catastrophic. I'm talking about more than 50% depopulation in 15/20 years.

Also if you want to feel the real population then don't go in the summer. You will see more tourists than real habitants.
      Genius, half of Armenia's population is situated in Yerevan--are you expecting an even distribution of Armenia's population throughout the country???.

As a matter of fact, yes I do visit Armenia quite often. In fact, I was there last year around this time for the new year. Interestingly enough, I noticed Armavir, Charencavan, Abovyan, and Gyumri--all outside of Yerevan--to be particularly vibrant. People shopping, people on the go, salesman selling their goods. So I noticed quite good stuff, and very encouraged.

I'm not sure when the last time you visited (or deserted) Armenia was, but don't go around talking non-sense. You and Paul Goble can instead go to highly populated Instabul where there isn't any debate about how populated it is!
      Last edited by Artsakh; 12-19-2015, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmeniaSacra View Post
        Bro this issue of "de-population" is being over-marketed believe me by both external forces and internal propaganda. Not that it is not an important issue, don't get me wrong! It's tragic! and must be dealt with asap.

But there is no country in the world that actually ceased to exist because there were no longer people living in it.

Let me explain it to you in numbers:

Lithuania: 2.9 million (65,000 Km2)
        Latvia: 1.9 million (65,000 km2)
        Estonia: 1.3 million (45,000 km2)
        Slovenia: 2 million (20,000 km2)
        Macedonia: 2 million (25,000 km2)

All are very valid countries. Now to explain it to you from an economic point of view. As long as the Armenian economy and GDP are growing you don't need to worry about anything. It means the productivity in the country is increasing. New businesses are opening up and there will always be need for new workforce. Armenia's current economic situation cannot support 3 million people, but that's changing.

When the USSR collapsed we were left with a crumbled economy with 3.8 million people to support. The migration started, in turn, the economy started developing. Gradually the migration levels started to drop (still net negative though). As the economy further develops, migration levels will further drop until they reach a point where the number of people in the country could be supported by the level of economic development. And then the opposite trend would start. Meaning, the developing economy will need workers. The 1st candidates will be Armenians working in Russia, followed by Armenians in Georgia and Iran. When it really improves, diasporan Armenians will be attracted to work there as well (at least some of them).

This is a natural trend for any developing economy. Where does our case exactly become unique and critical? If a war starts and the population is at its lowest. Which means less soldiers to defend the homeland.

This is what's critical in our case. The rest is simple economics which can be changed with the course of the development of our country's abilities. But the general talk, specially in the diapora that "Hayastane ge barbevigor" is mere bull****. The depopulation of Armenia is a security challenge not a demographic one.

Finally, if people in the diaspora are really concerned that Armenia is being depopulated. Let them be the 1st heroes and go and live there. When Jews first moved to Israel, they lived in swamps and had to put up with diseases and security concerns. But they did...and eventually succeeded. We in the diaspora on the other hand want to move to Armenia only if it becomes a "welfare state" like Canada or Australia.

P.S. If Armenia does become a welfare state, it will no longer need the diaspora. There would be many willing applicants wanting to live there. So how exactly do we, as Armenians living outside Armenia, differ from mere opportunistic immigrants? a Question I think each one of ask must ask himself/herself.
        I did exactly what you're saying. Believe me I had an amazing life in Beirut and sold every single thing I had there and moved to Yerevan last fall. I already bought two apartments, a car and a piece of land. I'm planning to buy another piece of land soon, and will be launching a business here. I came here on a mission..to contribute to the GDP of this country and employ as many young guys as I can. I find it funny when taxi drivers open their mouth and start complaining about how bad life is in Armenia, and give you a lecture of how to become a millionnaire in Moscow. Our biggest enemy is this naive mentality.
        Last edited by armnuke; 12-19-2015, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Noone of the countries you listed are doing great.
          Armenia will not die out because of this , well not directly. But when you see that turkey doubles its population , azeris give birth like potatoes , ... it makes you think.
          You are right ,this will be a huge problem in wartime. Imagine we had 30-/40000 more conscripts on the frontline. Wouldn't that be huge? I am allready amazed how so little number of young people can hold against 4 times more soldiers on the other side.

Imagine if the ratio was 1/2 instead of 1/4. We wouldn't even have to worry about Turkey , we wouldn't be so dependent of Russia.

I don't think diaspora Armenians will ever come back in numbers. Jews went back to Israel because they were scared to live in their country. Armenians have no real reason to immigrate back to Armenia, only nationalism.
          At least 4 out of 5 of the listed countries are doing much much better than Armenia is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by armnuke View Post
            I did exactly what you're saying. Believe me I had an amazing life in Beirut and sold every single thing I had there and moved to Yerevan last fall. I already bought two apartments, a car and a piece of land. I'm planning to buy another piece of land soon, and will be launching a business here. I came here on a mission..to contribute to the GDP of this country and employ as many young guys as I can. I find it funny when taxi drivers open their mouth and start complaining about how bad life is in Armenia, and give you a lecture of how to become a millionnaire in Moscow. Our biggest enemy is this naive mentality.
            Best of luck to you in that bro! i sincerely hope u'd succeed in that and make way for all of us with ur example. We have to admit there are alot of troubles in armenia but also alot of improvements! It's just unfair to compare Armenia 10 years ago with Armenia now. The country is developing and hopefully with more positive mentality like urs it'll be more productive.

I met the the repat Armenia people a while back...a really positive bunch mostly from the disapora. That's what we need more in Armenia. Less criticisers more positivity.
            Last edited by ArmeniaSacra; 12-19-2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Noone of the countries you listed are doing great.
              Armenia will not die out because of this , well not directly. But when you see that turkey doubles its population , azeris give birth like potatoes , ... it makes you think.
              You are right ,this will be a huge problem in wartime. Imagine we had 30-/40000 more conscripts on the frontline. Wouldn't that be huge? I am allready amazed how so little number of young people can hold against 4 times more soldiers on the other side.

Imagine if the ratio was 1/2 instead of 1/4. We wouldn't even have to worry about Turkey , we wouldn't be so dependent of Russia.

I don't think diaspora Armenians will ever come back in numbers. Jews went back to Israel because they were scared to live in their country. Armenians have no real reason to immigrate back to Armenia, only nationalism.
              Yes sir, that's exactly what am saying. That this is a more security challenge rather than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by armnuke View Post
                I intend to follow your footsteps, keep it up!

Comment

Thanks guys, plan well and you won't be disappointed.

Hopefully the boys on the border will have a peaceful night after today's meeting.

Comment

Re: Birth rate in Armenia

"For example, he says, it has taken in only 7,000 Armenians from Syria out of an Armenian community there of 150,000."

lol just from that you can tell this is total nonsense. I doubt there was ever 150,000 Armenians in Syria, definitely not at any point within the last 30 years. Before the war started it was probably already under 60-80,000.

Comment

• Re: Birth rate in Armenia

Armenia's resident population down in 2015

17:43 ¢ 29.01.16

As of January 1, 2016, Armenia's resident population was 2,998,600 ` a
                      year-on-year decrease of 12,000 people (0.4%), Karine Kuyumjyan, Head
                      of the Population Census and Demography Division, National Statistical
                      Service of Armenia, told reporters on Friday.

She explained the decrease by migration (26,000 people) and population
                      flow (about 14,000 people), rates of birth and death.

Last year, 5,462,000 ingresses and egresses were recorded in Armenia,
                      with an unfavorable balance of 43,438 people.

`If we compare the number of people with documents of the Republic of
                      Armenia that arrived in and left Armenia, the unfavorable balance was
                      47,676 ` 602 more than in 2014. Last year, official residential status
                      was given to 5,722 people in Armenia,' Mrs Kuyumjyan.

“If we compare the number of people with documents of the Republic of Armenia that arrived in and left Armenia, the unfavorable balance was 47,676 – 602 more than in 2014..."
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X