Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Birth rate in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by Mher View Post
    lol so much truth, thinking Armenia is the worst place on earth has become the national pastime
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Anyway, Armenia's real problem isn't emigration as much as the fertility rate, though both can be improved with economic improvement. The fertility rate was steadily rising until 2014 when it hit 1.7 but it's dropped to 1.6 the last two years thanks to the Russian recession. The low fertility rate hadn't hit us as much so far because the generation that was having kids was the very large 1980's generation. However the 90's generation is much smaller, and we can't afford the same situation.
    By whom?

If the answer is the government then the people have every right to complain about the government.

If the answer is not the government then we better find who, because we are running out of time.

PS We cannot be at the mercy of the winds !!!
    Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
    Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
    Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
      By whom?

If the answer is the government then the people have every right to complain about the government.

If the answer is not the government then we better find who, because we are running out of time.

PS We cannot be at the mercy of the winds !!!
      - the government for being egoistic, corrupt, and backward.

- the people for their lack of political maturity.

- who's taking 5,000 drams and voting again? You and me? I dont think so.

- people like Sasna tsrer are also to be blamed. Instead of educating the people to develope a sane political idiology, theyre acting like people would do Mogadishu.

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
        lol so much truth, thinking Armenia is the worst place on earth has become the national pastime
        Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Anyway, Armenia's real problem isn't emigration as much as the fertility rate, though both can be improved with economic improvement. The fertility rate was steadily rising until 2014 when it hit 1.7 but it's dropped to 1.6 the last two years thanks to the Russian recession. The low fertility rate hadn't hit us as much so far because the generation that was having kids was the very large 1980's generation. However the 90's generation is much smaller, and we can't afford the same situation.
        I remain less optimistic about the economy fixing the birth rate. I think I've read it needs to go over 2.1 for growth. But anyway, the reason I'm pessimistic is that all you need to do is look at the Baltics where the economy is supposedly doing great for post-USSR standards but the birth rates are even worse than Armenia. Western Europe where the economies are great have horrible birth rates and only sustain population growth through immigration and Muslims. Sure, the economy can affect the birth rate, logically people that are better off can plan more children because they can afford it. But that's not what is happening in Europe. I suspect this issue is largely a cultural one and needs to be addressed primarily as such. Take Muslims. Their countries are often dirt poor yet it doesn't stop them from popping minimum 4 children (sometimes per wife but polygamy is kinda rare in post-USSR Muslim countries). You can see this divide very clearly when comparing Armenia & Georgia vs Azerbaijan. Or Central Asian countries vs other post-USSR countries.

Armenians are in the European sphere in terms of culture and we will most likely fall in line like the rest of them. We can slow down the bleeding with the government handing out fixed benefits/incentives to boost the population, like in Artsakh where they offer thousands for every 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th... child. Build more day cares, kindergartens, schools, clinics that deal with infertility, maker smokers' lives difficult so people quit the habit and so on. But I believe we need to ultimately find a way to resist the European mentality of 1-2 children per family and follow our own path. Perhaps the church can encourage large families, I don't know.

Reminded me of this ad by Denmark government encouraging Danes to have more sex and bring more children

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by armnuke View Post
          - the government for being egoistic, corrupt, and backward.

- the people for their lack of political maturity.

- who's taking 5,000 drams and voting again? You and me? I dont think so.

- people like Sasna tsrer are also to be blamed. Instead of educating the people to develope a sane political idiology, theyre acting like people would do Mogadishu.
          This is the result of 70 years of Soviet society. 70 years of suppression of any idealism and political thought. Communism was not an idealism or political thought after 1930s. It was a dogma and sistem of oppression.
          The despair and hopelessness staring from Stalin continued in Brezhnev era and after and into today because of post independence governments and economy.
          It is like a genetic makeup now.
          But can be changed.
          You need to change by injecting fresh mindset and energy. Like from 1945 repatriation brought. But making sure that those of us that go back are given chance unlike before, to flourish. Not get oppressed and pushed down like with my grandparents.
          Those of you, who have moved back may think it's impossible, but every argument and communication with locals has an effect, leaves a crack or small Ray in minds.
          My grandparents never stoped complaining about every bad or low thing in Armenia but they never wanted to emigrate. It was their children who did, because they had the same mindset (unlike their parents)like every local.
          Some of you naively think that complaining bears despair, not the other way around(which is the real case).
          But few posts back I was talking about diaspora involvement and got hushed.
          There is no force or resource left in Armenia for changes that are needed. Never been for past 60 years. Country has gone from total horrors of two world wars, Stalinist era (look on North Korea to see people, mindset and the destroyed human personality) to chaos and corruption today.
          But we have huge diaspora with it's human, moral, political wealth that can be used to change everything there.
          As soon as I say this, people say "no diaspora controlling Armenia".
          But maybe not controlling but there has to be a better way of injecting mindset and societal improvements? So far the only way was either bring your money or come live like others. We saw how enthusiastic diaspora was in early 90s and how numb it is now.
          Political, social changes have to happen in Armenia to open the society. I don't mean east west, liberal or not games.
          Armenia's society has to be opened up to it's diaspora, world.
          The fact is, after emigrating, 100%, everybody starts missing, craving, becoming sick for Armenia. This means this feeling has to be imported and spread there by people from here. To be more caring and with political backbone.
          In short. Get government to change. Change the format of diaspora Armenia relations. If not governing rights, but give diaspora rights and guarantees for their money and businesses in Armenia. Make them have better protections than what country they are coming from.
          Oligarkhy is coming to a crisis. They need to be cracked.
          Last edited by Hakob; 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
            A+ ad, loved the concept and Emma

Comment

• Re: Birth rate in Armenia

Hakob you continuously hold the diaspora up on some pedestal. There are all kinds of people in the Armenian diaspora but most don't give a dam about Armenia. This is about as active as any Armenian forum regarding Armenia related topics and it is the same half dozen people making all the posts. The diasporans that are active on Armenian issues tend to concentrate on things that have little significance in regard to nation building. You talk greatly of the backwardness of the Hayastantsys while implying the diasporans are way better but that implication is utter bs! People here and pretty much everywhere else are easily duped into the divide and conquer game the elites have always used to rule over us. Just look at how pathetic we are. There are a handful of Armenians left yet we are discussing hayastantsi vs diasporan, just like our ancestors were discussing vanetsi vs mushetsi... We refuse to learn from history and because of this we will lose our homeland yet again. Unless we learn to feel and act as a single people, as a single nation, then we might as well be discussing jewelry or some other bs topic.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                Hakob you continuously hold the diaspora up on some pedestal. There are all kinds of people in the Armenian diaspora but most don't give a dam about Armenia. This is about as active as any Armenian forum regarding Armenia related topics and it is the same half dozen people making all the posts. The diasporans that are active on Armenian issues tend to concentrate on things that have little significance in regard to nation building. You talk greatly of the backwardness of the Hayastantsys while implying the diasporans are way better but that implication is utter bs! People here and pretty much everywhere else are easily duped into the divide and conquer game the elites have always used to rule over us. Just look at how pathetic we are. There are a handful of Armenians left yet we are discussing hayastantsi vs diasporan, just like our ancestors were discussing vanetsi vs mushetsi... We refuse to learn from history and because of this we will lose our homeland yet again. Unless we learn to feel and act as a single people, as a single nation, then we might as well be discussing jewelry or some other bs topic.
                Cool, and those half a dozen of people on the forum don't happen to be from Armenia.
                Besides, I don't blame them because they can't even speak proper English.
                You don't like the diaspora because they don't fit into your views which is obedience to Russia.

Comment

[/QUOTE]

I think, good economy can increase birth if country gets really committed to it. Big part of limiting birth is economic.
                  Give privileges and perks. Provide 3 years of diapers and supplies. Give a year of paid vacation

Comment

A good economy will not increase births. It will however stop emigration and perhaps increase immigration. To increase births you need to make having and raising children easy and affordable. Things like good affordable childcare will raise the birth rate.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                      I remain less optimistic about the economy fixing the birth rate. I think I've read it needs to go over 2.1 for growth. But anyway, the reason I'm pessimistic is that all you need to do is look at the Baltics where the economy is supposedly doing great for post-USSR standards but the birth rates are even worse than Armenia. Western Europe where the economies are great have horrible birth rates and only sustain population growth through immigration and Muslims. Sure, the economy can affect the birth rate, logically people that are better off can plan more children because they can afford it. But that's not what is happening in Europe. I suspect this issue is largely a cultural one and needs to be addressed primarily as such. Take Muslims. Their countries are often dirt poor yet it doesn't stop them from popping minimum 4 children (sometimes per wife but polygamy is kinda rare in post-USSR Muslim countries). You can see this divide very clearly when comparing Armenia & Georgia vs Azerbaijan. Or Central Asian countries vs other post-USSR countries.

Armenians are in the European sphere in terms of culture and we will most likely fall in line like the rest of them. We can slow down the bleeding with the government handing out fixed benefits/incentives to boost the population, like in Artsakh where they offer thousands for every 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th... child. Build more day cares, kindergartens, schools, clinics that deal with infertility, maker smokers' lives difficult so people quit the habit and so on. But I believe we need to ultimately find a way to resist the European mentality of 1-2 children per family and follow our own path. Perhaps the church can encourage large families, I don't know.
                      You are partially correct. If you look at the economic performance and fertility rate, there's certainly a correlation between the two. As an example, the fertility rate in Azerbaijan has been falling along with their economy. It reached a peak in 2011 along with their economy. Moreover all of these countries had a massive fall in the 90's in fertility rate, and they rose back up with the economies.

However, you are also right that there's a cultural competent to it. For example the Baltic states had a low birthright even before Soviet collapse, and the trend has continued. Also Georgia has had a higher fertility rate than Armenia all along, and even had so in the 1990's when Georgia was the poster child of a failed state. Of course same goes for Azerbaijan.

So I think the conclusion is that there is a cultural general trend, but it is affected by the economic situation.

You're certainly correct about the Western and European aspect, and I sincerely believe there's no such thing as staying too far from these values.

But in addition to that, I still believe an equal amount of it relies on believing in the country, believing in its economic future, and believing there's a reason to have children, and that will change with having a better government.
                      Last edited by Mher; 02-06-2017, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X