Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia's Economic Pulse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenia's Economic Pulse

The Microsoft agreement sounds promising. I do not want Armenia in the cigarette business not because of economic reasons. I just do not want her to be associated with this industry because of moral and health reasons. Plus as you said it is a declining industry. If we made cigars I would not mind as much and there may be higher margins in this market but cigarettes are killers no matter how you look at them.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      The Microsoft agreement sounds promising. I do not want Armenia in the cigarette business not because of economic reasons. I just do not want her to be associated with this industry because of moral and health reasons. Plus as you said it is a declining industry. If we made cigars I would not mind as much and there may be higher margins in this market but cigarettes are killers no matter how you look at them.
      I totally understand what you're saying, but we're not in the position to pick and chose when it comes to the current economic realities of Armenia. The fact is that these companies are created desperately needed jobs and bring revenue to the country. My primary issue is with the massive smoking rates in Armenia. Get those down with strict legislature and public awareness campaigns, and I hardly care about what choices people in Syria and Iraq are making. The fact is its a product that has a massive universal market and the prices of cigarettes made in Armenia are a tiny fraction of top brand names. There's much room for growth with the massive market in Iran and Russia which has the single highest smoking rates in the world.
      Last edited by Mher; 05-22-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
        I totally understand what you're saying, but we're not in the position to pick and chose when it comes to the current economic realities of Armenia. The fact is that these companies are created desperately needed jobs and bring revenue to the country. My primary issue is with the massive smoking rates in Armenia. Get those down with strict legislature and public awareness campaigns, and I hardly care about what choices people in Syria and Iraq are making. The fact is its a product that has a massive universal market and the prices of cigarettes made in Armenia are a tiny fraction of top brand names. There's much room for growth with the massive market in Iran and Russia which has the single highest smoking rates in the world.
        I also appreciate your point of view. Yet the very things you are concerned about will only get worst as this industry grows in Armenia. How likely are the Armenian people to reduce smoking as that sector becomes more and more powerful in that country. We have seen how the powerful tobacco lobby kept the USA under its spell for many decades, hell they even advertised to kids with their kamel line. The effect of tobacco on Armenia has been and continues to be devastating. Just go to any cemetery and look at the dob and dod of the dead and you will start to get some idea of the damage this industry has done to our people. The more powerful this industry gets in Armenia the less likely Armenians will be to stop smoking.
        Last edited by Haykakan; 05-22-2015, 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
          Completely agree.
          Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

ARMENIAN FIRMS SEEK END TO US TREATY VOID

Tax-news.com
            May 21 2015

by Mary Swire

The Armenian National Committee of America has welcomed the signing
            of the US-Armenia Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA)
            but has said that a renegotiated double tax agreement is a priority in
            order to fully realize the two nations' bilateral trade and investment
            potential.

The TIFA was signed on May 7 and was immediately welcomed by the
            House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (R - California) and
            Congressional Armenian Caucus Co-Chair Frank Pallone (D - New Jersey).

Pallone said "the Trade and Investment Framework Agreement signed
            between the Republic of Armenia and the United States represents
            our shared commitment to mutual prosperity. With this agreement, I
            am certain that the United States and Armenia will continue to focus
            on our shared trade and investment interests. Armenia has always been
            a proud ally of the United States and I am pleased that we have made
            progress that will support workers in both of our nations."

The ANCA welcomed the move and called for further expansion of
            US-Armenia economic relations through the negotiation of a bilateral
            treaty ending double taxation on businesses and investments. In a fact
            sheet shared with Congressional leaders, the ANCA outlined the benefits
            of a US-Armenia tax treaty, as well as the costs of the status quo,
            of having "an outdated an obsolete Soviet-era agreement."

The fact sheet pointed out that a US-Armenia double tax treaty would
            establish a clear legal framework for investors and individuals that
            have business activities in both jurisdictions, preventing double
            taxation and facilitating the expansion of economic relations. It
            said the lack of a working US-Armenia double tax treaty hinders the
            growth of US-Armenia economic relations, creating legal uncertainty
            that deters investment and diverts investment flows.

The outdated forty-year-old 1973 US-USSR tax treaty is recognized by
            the US but not Armenia. The fact sheet says, even by 1970s standards,
            the Soviet tax treaty was a limited agreement between two hostile
            superpowers. "Its current legal status remains unclear and its terms
            are inadequate to the needs of present-day US-Armenia relations. While
            investors have found ways to adjust to its inadequacies, the existing
            system of foreign tax credits and deductions is not consistent with
            any accepted tax or accounting system," the ANCA said.

It added that "negotiating a double tax treaty between the US and
            Armenia should be relatively straight-forward. It would be, in great
            measure, an 'off the shelf' treaty, not requiring a great deal of time
            or effort to research, tailor, negotiate, or implement. A US-Armenia
            double tax treaty would likely largely follow the US Model Income Tax
            Convention of 2006, updated by more recent features of US tax treaty
            policy such as provisions for mandatory arbitration."

Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

New greenhouses in Armenia growing vegetables for the local market and export to Russia. The Russians recently banned food imports from Europe. With the Customs Union and the previously mentioned fact, this is our time to seize the opportunity.

In the meantime, I've read that Armenian food products are reaching Russian supermarkets more and more lately from Armenians in Moscow. Here's one.

Last edited by Federate; 05-24-2015, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                New greenhouses in Armenia growing vegetables for the local market and export to Russia. The Russians recently banned food imports from Europe. With the Customs Union and the previously mentioned fact, this is our time to seize the opportunity.

In the meantime, I've read that Armenian food products are reaching Russian supermarkets more and more lately from Armenians in Moscow. Here's one.

I have been seeing some Armenian products in my area also. The Arshav brand of canned/jarred fruits and veggies. I am going to try to introduce some made in Armenia wines to stores here as well.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                  I have been seeing some Armenian products in my area also. The Arshav brand of canned/jarred fruits and veggies. I am going to try to introduce some made in Armenia wines to stores here as well.
                  One way to introduce Armenian alcohol is to send sharply dressed people into liquor stores and asking the employees/managers if they have Armenian products. Do this over and over again and they may notice there's a demand and will order. The sharply dressed part is to create the illusion that it's people with high disposable income demanding it so they will buy a lot.

Comment

Lots of Armenian products here in the US lately, i've seen a large variety of areni wines in stores all over CA including San Diego and San Francisco.

Comment

IT Industry news:
                      -Microsoft Corporation pledged to step up its contribution to Armenia’s burgeoning information technology sector on Tuesday with a new regional software development center to be opened in Yerevan soon.
                      Microsoft Corporation pledged to step up its contribution to Armenia’s burgeoning information technology sector on Tuesday with a new regional software development center to be opened in Yerevan soon.

- D-Link Facility Launched In Armenia:
                      highlighting the rapid growth of Armenia’s information technology (IT) sector, D-Link Corporation, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of computer networking equipment, inaugurated its newly constructed research and development center in Gyumri on Monday.
                      GYUMRI -- Highlighting the rapid growth of Armenia’s information technology (IT) sector, D-Link Corporation, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of

- IT field one of the main areas of the governments plan:
                      YEREVAN, 26 MAY, ARMENPRESS. In the presence of Prime Minister Hovik Abrahamyan, the Government of the Republic of Armenia and Microsoft signed agreements on long-term cooperation in the development of information technologies, protection of intellectual property rights, data security, as well as education and innovation.

Comment

Working...
                      X