Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    Thanks for the pics. I wish Zoravar would post his analysis of regional military developments.
    Stay tuned. I will post something in the near future.

Comment

Visit of Minister of Defence S.Oganyan on a frontline in the northeast of Armenia. On May, 03rd 2008г.

Comment

Is that land (the region) all time green or just only in springs?

Comment

Originally posted by Army View Post
          Maps are not facts. You need to use libraries
          And you are a Turk - so you have never seen a proper map and don't know how to use them. Unless you have a permit from your National Security Ministry, it is illegal for you to use or own 1:100,000 maps or better, same for all contour maps.
          I've seen Turks go visibly white at the sight of a map. I've seen them try to read maps turned sideways, or upside down. I've seen them peer over a map for an hour, and still be none the wiser about what it shows. I've seen a supposedly professional driver (a Kurd in this case) go on a 4 hour hour dead-end detour down the wrong road because he was incapable of reading a map, even though the correct route was being repeatedly pointed out to him on that map, and the route he was on was shown as going under the waters of a lake formed by a recently constructed dam!
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
            And what is this suppose to mean? Are you here denying that in 1934 a land transfer creating a direct link with Nakhichevan took place? If so, than indeed you can put that statement into quotation marks.
            There was no land transfer in 1934 to create a direct link with Nakhchivan, and the same land link existed when the territory was part of the Russian empire. Your "historical fact" is just a myth.

Blatant falsehoods peddled by Turkey or Azerbaijan are also always called "historical facts". I'm surprised you decided to use such a phrase, given its normal context is within those Turkish or Azeri lies.

I am sorry but if you cannot clearly see the marked border then perhaps you need some kind of glasses. Do you want me to outline the border in bright red for you? I can also post a comparative map of today's Armenian Republic so you can see how clearly the border joint is well above the present boundaries of Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic.
            Beware of amateurs with their small-scale maps. Lord Salisbury put it better (when puting down some rabid pro-Turk interventionists in 1877), but that about sums up what he said.

Now this is indeed very poor quality map that you cannot differentiate any border demarcations and is nothing compared to the resolution and clear border markings of the map that I posted. Heck you cannot even read geographic destinations much the less see the borders.
            The image is poor quality, not the map. The map is probably 1:200,000 maybe better. The information is there. If you can't read it, that's your problem. It just shows you don't know much about the area's geography. Unlike you, I've been there.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
              There was no land transfer in 1934 to create a direct link with Nakhchivan, and the same land link existed when the territory was part of the Russian empire. Your "historical fact" is just a myth.
              I have posted 3 maps (including Scale: 1:6,100,000 ) that clearly show that before 1930s there is NO direct link to Nakhichevan. It is Nakhichevan by the way, and not "Nakhchivan." You, on the other hand, claim otherwise and as evidence have presented a very poor map by all standards.

Blatant falsehoods peddled by Turkey or Azerbaijan are also always called "historical facts". I'm surprised you decided to use such a phrase, given its normal context is within those Turkish or Azeri lies.
              They are historical facts as affixed in the international borders prior to 1930s. Show me well readable historic map from an earlier era with the said "strip" as part of Turkey and not that of Iran, and I would take it as concrete evidence. As of now, the evidence is not on your side, of all things based on the said historic maps.

Beware of amateurs with their small-scale maps. Lord Salisbury put it better (when puting down some rabid pro-Turk interventionists in 1877), but that about sums up what he said.
              Fine, lets say you are right, can you please provide evidence to support this? Again, the map you posted cannot be credited with being "amateur" or "professional" because of its quality. Historical source of the map would also help.

The image is poor quality, not the map. The map is probably 1:200,000 maybe better.
              This is already a word play, I think you understood what I meant by poor.

The information is there. If you can't read it, that's your problem.
              No the information is not there in terms of affirming or denying the border since it is worthless because of its resolution.

It just shows you don't know much about the area's geography. Unlike you, I've been there.
              This is very amateur thing to say. What has "being there" in recent times has to do with history and the historical borders?

Comment

Well your questioning made me more determined to find an extreme close up on the scales (as close as you can get with these maps with [inches] 1: 4,000,000) that we talked about. Although, I was more than certain in the maps I provided here is the close up from 1922 (The Edinburgh Geographical Society, Bartholomew, J. G., 1860-1920; John Bartholomew and Son) Turkish-Iranian border.

Since as you noted, you have been to this area personally, you should know the alignment with Karasu river and the village of Sadarak, which today via the said strip made by Turkey lies well beyond it.

And here is how the border stands today:

Last edited by Catharsis; 10-23-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

And what is this suppose to mean? Are you here denying that in 1934 a land transfer creating a direct link with Nakhichevan took place? If so, than indeed you can put that statement into quotation marks.

I am sorry but if you cannot clearly see the marked border then perhaps you need some kind of glasses. Do you want me to outline the border in bright red for you? I can also post a comparative map of today's Armenian Republic so you can see how clearly the border joint is well above the present boundaries of Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic.

Now this is indeed very poor quality map that you cannot differentiate any border demarcations and is nothing compared to the resolution and clear border markings of the map that I posted. Heck you cannot even read geographic destinations much the less see the borders.
                  Well your questioning made me more determined to find an extreme close up on the scales (as close as you can get with these maps with [inches] 1: 4,000,000) that we talked about. Although, I was more than certain in the maps I provided here is the close up from 1922 (The Edinburgh Geographical Society, Bartholomew, J. G., 1860-1920; John Bartholomew and Son) Turkish-Iranian border.

Since as you noted, you have been to this area personally, you should know the alignment with Karasu river and the village of Sadarak, which today via the said strip made by Turkey lies well beyond it.

And here is how the border stands today:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hevan-assr.gif
                  You really haven't a clue. You dare to use a 1: 4,000,000 map to "prove" your unproven "historical fact". Are you a kid or a cretin? I mean - you do understand that a 1:100,000 map shows more detail than a 1:1,000,000 one? It's nothing to do with the amount you blow up the actual map. A 1:1,000,000 map shows the same amount of detail whether you scan it at 4000 dpi or at 400 dpi!
                  Last edited by bell-the-cat; 10-23-2009, 10:25 AM.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

You really haven't a clue. You dare to use a 1: 4,000,000 map to "prove" your unproven "historical fact".
                    Can you do better? Put up or shut the hell up. The maps CLEARLY show the border without the "strip" yet you are really mentally challenged or are playing stupid not to see an obvious.

Are you a kid or a cretin? I mean - you do understand that a 1:100,000 map shows more detail than a 1:1,000,000 one?
                    Neither, but you sure show signs of both, since you have more eyes of a bat than a feline. I understand the scale, and I noted it, still the border is VERY FINELY VISIBLE WITHOUT the land strip.

It's nothing to do with the amount you blow up the actual map. A 1:1,000,000 map shows the same amount of detail whether you scan it at 4000 dpi or at 400 dpi!
                    Then do so! Where is YOUR 1:100,000 map? Every single map I posted shows the actual borders before and after - yet you have provided NOTHING, NOTHING that even comes close yet you dare to speak of "evidence?"
                    Last edited by Catharsis; 10-23-2009, 10:43 AM.

Comment

You really haven't a clue. You dare to use a 1: 4,000,000 map to "prove" your unproven "historical fact". Are you a kid or a cretin? I mean - you do understand that a 1:100,000 map shows more detail than a 1:1,000,000 one? It's nothing to do with the amount you blow up the actual map. A 1:1,000,000 map shows the same amount of detail whether you scan it at 4000 dpi or at 400 dpi!
                      Sorry to step on your tail. A map shows as much detail as the cartographer intended for it to show. The scale is the ratio of a single unit of distance on the map to the corresponding distance in actuality. DPI is the resolution which has nothing to do with scale but does have to do with the detail of scanning.
                      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                      X