Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by Lori View Post
    The problem with that is the land between artsakh and armenia is extremely mountainous. Building infrastructure, settlements, stations, etc is hard. The weather there is also pretty unforgiving, not a good spot for an airport imo.
    The weather in some strips of the border are milder than the capital Yerevan, or Gyumri, where there are airports.
    Building an airport in Syunik or re-equipping an existing one may be a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by armnuke View Post
      That's our second KIA this month.
      Last month we lost 5 or 6 troops, 3 of which were KIA.

I am seeing lots of people calling for full-scale war to stop this.
      While that may be a popular opinion (or may I say populist), a full-scale war will lead to massive casualties without guaranteeing that when it's over they're gonna stop killing our soldiers.
      The only way of guaranteeing this will stop is by a) peace (which is far fetched at this stage) b) wiping out Azerbaijan from the map (which is also far fetched).

So in my opinion we have to snipe back, move our SoF troops whenever there's a chance (weather, political circumstances, etc..), and try to take strategic heights which would give us a better position so that they can't snipe frequently.
      I agree. However, Armenia's SF are somewhat inadequate. The men are steadfast patriots, do not get me wrong. They must have true skill to pull of those kinds of missions they take part in. However, its the missions and their role that is the problem. Having saboteurs as your sole special forces units is wrong and foolish. The Azeris are guilty of this as well, so are most post-Soviet armies. Its a waste of skillful men. I wish they diversified their roles or established new units. DRG units are from the Soviet era, their job is literally suicidal and was never meant to be functional. Diversion-sabotage is pretty much legal terrorism committed against another country's military. Unconventional tactics are only useful if they are functional and militarily logical. And its not like they are destroying anything earnest. If you actually pay attention to the ceremonies and exercises, it involves only killing sentries, ambushing supply trucks, planting mines on roads. And most of these things are conducted in the case of an offensive against your foe. Its pointless in the situation of a defense of territory.

The whole point of spetsnaz is to be specialized troops with a role that compliments the main military force. Armenia's air space is too small and air defenses are too concentrated for a paratrooper division. Mountain infantry is so well suited to this environment, it just boggles my mind that MoD hasn't formed any meaningful mountain infantry divisions. This is Kavkaz, ffs.

Just my two cents on that.
      Last edited by Lori; 02-08-2017, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lori View Post
        I agree. However, Armenia's SF are somewhat inadequate. The men are steadfast patriots, do not get me wrong. They must have true skill to pull of those kinds of missions they take part in. However, its the missions and their role that is the problem. Having saboteurs as your sole special forces units is wrong and foolish. The Azeris are guilty of this as well, so are most post-Soviet armies. Its a waste of skillful men. I wish they diversified their roles or established new units. DRG units are from the Soviet era, their job is literally suicidal and was never meant to be functional. Diversion-sabotage is pretty much legal terrorism committed against another country's military. Unconventional tactics are only useful if they are functional and militarily logical. And its not like they are destroying anything earnest. If you actually pay attention to the ceremonies and exercises, it involves only killing sentries, ambushing supply trucks, planting mines on roads. And most of these things are conducted in the case of an offensive against your foe. Its pointless in the situation of a defense of territory.

The whole point of spetsnaz is to be specialized troops with a role that compliments the main military force. Armenia's air space is too small and air defenses are too concentrated for a paratrooper division. Mountain infantry is so well suited to this environment, it just boggles my mind that MoD hasn't formed any meaningful mountain infantry divisions. This is Kavkaz, ffs.

Just my two cents on that.
        We need to have a full brigade of them, well-equipped for mountain warfare.

Comment

Comment

Georgia, Armenia and Lithuania participate in military exercises in Gudauri

The servicemen of Georgia, Lithuania, and Armenia are involved in the second round of winter training in Gudauri…

Comment

On Tuesday Lapshin was extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan. We called on our Strategic Partner to not extradite Lapshin as he won't have a fair trial. Our Friend decided to do the opposite , siding with Azerbaijan for its own personal interests I mean the Dictators interests. The question is. Why are we in partnership with Kazakhstan and Belarus ? It's quite clear that they support our enemy over us. I believe the CSTO is dictated by Azerbaijan. It's a complete waste of time and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by ASALA2116 View Post
                On Tuesday Lapshin was extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan. We called on our Strategic Partner to not extradite Lapshin as he won't have a fair trial. Our Friend decided to do the opposite , siding with Azerbaijan for its own personal interests I mean the Dictators interests. The question is. Why are we in partnership with Kazakhstan and Belarus ? It's quite clear that they support our enemy over us. I believe the CSTO is dictated by Azerbaijan. It's a complete waste of time and energy.
                Belarus is not known for being a steadfast ally. They are constantly bickering with Russia over natural gas prices and trade, even though they are pretty much the same country at this point. In reality, what happens in the Caucasus has no effect on Belarus. Armenia's security isn't relevant to them outside of CSTO. Don't take it personally. Kazakhstan is a Turkic nation, they obviously have some inherent bias but are willing to be a cooperative partner in most cases. Support for Azerbaijan is pretty much restricted to diplomatic PR stunts and rhetoric. Its just smoke and mirrors.

I believe the CSTO is dictated by Azerbaijan
                I hope you realize Azerbaijan is not a member of CSTO, has no sway over the organization, and CSTO is led and controlled entirely by Russia.

A military alliance does not require states to be on the same page on all issues. Turkey has awful relations with other NATO member states. Many NATO member states, such as Hungary, Slovakia, Montenegro, are not anti-Russian. A military alliance is just that, a military alliance.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ASALA2116 View Post
                    Belarus is not our "strategic partner".
                    Being in CSTO or the so-called Eurasian Union does not make them a strategic partner.
                    They are a dictatorship which can be put on par with Syria of Assad and Iraq of Saddam.

Comment

Originally posted by armnuke View Post
                      Belarus is not our "strategic partner".
                      Being in CSTO or the so-called Eurasian Union does not make them a strategic partner.
                      They are a dictatorship which can be put on par with Syria of Assad and Iraq of Saddam.
                      Uh, Armenia and Belarus are in the same military alliance. They are a strategic partner, by definition. Belarus is also in a Union State with Russia and have integrated military. So, being allied with Russia is being allied with them. Being a dictatorship doesn't make a state bad, that is a logical fallacy. Lukashenko is also nothing like any of those Arab leaders you listed. He doesn't slaughter his own population or commit genocide against minorities. The only "crime" he has committed is being in power longer than Western politicians are alright with and rightfully aligning Belarus (Meaning White Russian) with Russia. Belarus would have been a failed state filled with Slavs thinking they are ubermensch, like Ukraine. However, he won the election in the 90s and kept Belarus from doing something incredibly stupid, like not making Russian an official language.

He doesn't let his allies take advantage of his nation however. He also has his nations interests at heart, most of the time at least. He plays games with Russia to keep Belarus from joining the Federation itself, so he doesnt lose his job. Even though, it is best for Belarus. In this case, its all realpolitik. Nothing personal against Armenia, unlike with Pakistan.
                      Last edited by Lori; 02-09-2017, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X