Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Army service is not for everybody. That is true, but....

An all professional army (no conscripts) is a fine idea when you are a larger country and/or part of a large military organization (like NATO) and the only wars you will be waging are in far distant lands....

For a small country like Armenia located in an almost disastrous geographic place...there is no subsititude to mass scale conscription. Every person should have some degree of military training.

Lets talk raw numbers. The Armenian army is around 65,000 strong (including the conscripts). If we stop mandatory military service, our professional army will shrink to around half of that...not only is that too small to operate significant amounts of military equipment (tanks, aircraft etc.), but it will not be able to last very long in a possible long proctracted conflict. Now, if we have a reserve force of 300,000 people who had a 2 year mandatory training...

A good comparison would be Israel. Their standing army is not very large but, they have a huge reserve (previous conscripts) that can be called within 48 hours.

Of course, a professional army is of better quality....but quantity is a quality itself.

Remember, the boys and girls who defended Artsakh were able to do so because they knew how to use Kalashnikovs, RPGs and tanks from their 2 year mandatory service in the Soviet Red Army.

Edit: Hazing, complaints, poor conditions will not go away. Crusader1492 provided an excellent correlation between "training" and "torture".
    One famous army commander (can't remember who) once said "the worse the army food tastes, the braver the soldiers will be"
    Last edited by ZORAVAR; 10-07-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Chariots of fire : Tanks

Artsakh Army T-72 tanks in Stepanagerd

Azeri T-72 tanks in Baku during parade

Despite the growing Azeri military budget and their lavish arms procurement program, we still maintain a numerical superiority in the field of tanks and armored vehicles.

In fact, with over 300 tanks, the Karabagh self-defense forces alone have about the same number of these steel chariots as Azerbaijan. Armenia itself has about 120. Most of the tanks are T-72 models with various degrees of modernization. The Azeris also posess older tanks like the T-55.

The same applies to armored vehicles. Combined, Armenia and Karabagh have more BMPs, BTRs and MT-LBs than Azerbaijan. Again, Karabagh has more than Armenia itself.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, because of its topography, most of Artsakh’s terrain is not very suitable for tanks. In a tank attack, the Azeris will have to drive through few difficult roads and passes at slow speed making them relatively easy targets for our defenses.

As they loose their forward momentum and suffer losses, they will become prime targets for a counter-attack. Once we have them on the retreat and out of our lands…from our higher altitude positions, we can look down on them in their plains and soft rolling hills which are better suited for our tanks to push all the way to Baku if necessary. The way to the Caspian sea is downhill and great for our counterattack. Our armored columns can do all kinds of classic maneuvers like pincer movements, flanking and bypassing – basically a Blitzkrig.

To do all that, we must make sure that we minimize, as much as possible, the potential of their superior air force. More on that in a future post.

Comment

what about minefields Zoravar? How significant can they be in slowing down tank formations? If the air superiority of Azerbaijan were eliminated, how would our army go about getting our tanks to reach Baku if circumstances allowed for such an advance?

Comment

Here's what happens when you join the azerbaboon army http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51OZpSKK6Es
          Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
            what about minefields Zoravar? How significant can they be in slowing down tank formations?
            If artillery is the king of the battlefield, mines are the demons.

Minefields do not repell an attacking enemy by themselves. Let us not think of them as an impenetrable "Maginot line". All they do is: slow the attacker down, bog them, and even stop them in their tracks momentarily. They allow the defender to regain the initiative by initiating punishing artillery/air strikes or launching flanking counterattacks. Artsakh is heavily mined and that makes the job of an attacker even more difficult.

If the air superiority of Azerbaijan were eliminated, how would our army go about getting our tanks to reach Baku if circumstances allowed for such an advance?
            The key to achieving such a big objective is swiftness. Once we have them on the retreat, we should immediatly go onto the offensive to wherever we want to reach. Failure to act immediatly will allow the Azeris to regroup and organize their defenses. Ideally, we want to have their high command loose control of the situation and their troops be in a panic mode with morale at its bottom. Something like the Georgian's panic dash from Gori to Tbilissi or the Egyptian retreat all the way to the Suez canal in 1967.

A swift counteroffensive with far reaching goals requires "fresh" troops that are not exhausted by the initial fighting and have not suffered losses. That's why, it is imperative to hold a sizable reserve armoured force in the back. That will be the spearhead of the counterattack.

Comment

The Armenian army did have problems with discipline..but that was in the 90s...today it's one of the top armies in the region!
              Now this is an army...and accidents do occur! keep in mind that this is an army that's on high state of alert! this is a fighting army!! the fact that they are on alert tends to make soldiers a bit nervous!
              When u combine nervousness and weapon, accidents could happen!

This isn't the swiss army which basically spends its time cleaning forests..neither its the Swedish army..patroling its shores against whales and sharks! These guys are in a high state of alert 24/7...knowing that the next sniper bullet might hit their heads! It's not an easy fact to deal with!

For armenia...mandatory service is a must! even if armenia one day does have a professional army! in my opinion the military service must continue!

IMHO! Armenia must be like Israel! It must have a military community! both males and females must serve!
              This on one hand! on the other we should build several battalions of SPECIAL FORCES! these forces should be formed of professional soldiers!

So we would have around 100,000 active troops (both males and females)..and 20,000 additional commando battalions!

I also support the idea of diaspora Armenians following 2 months trainings in Armenia! These diaspora troops must be trained to conduct just 1 military action!

Meaning some would be trained to become snipers, other to use an AK, others to use ATGMs, others to drive military trucks...2 monthd is enough time to learn a single function!

I believe this would create an immense military force! But all this requires billions of dollars which the homeland cannot put aside to realize it right now!

But i do believe this is a right way to go!
              Last edited by Snoopy12; 10-08-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure if females should serve or not. I can see the benefits of it, but not sure if Armenian society would support the idea. A diaspora unit would be cool, I would look into if they were ever to establish one.
                For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                  I'm not sure if females should serve or not. I can see the benefits of it, but not sure if Armenian society would support the idea. A diaspora unit would be cool, I would look into if they were ever to establish one.
                  They used to do it in Greece if I'm not mistaken. Not any longer though (at least not as conscripts).
                  You are right, the Armenian society would no support the idea and they would be right.
                  But still don't forget that the best snipers in Artsakh were women.

And not only snipers

When it comes to defending one's home women can be quite tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy12
                    I also support the idea of diaspora Armenians following 2 months trainings in Armenia!

I completely agree with you. I would definitely look into it if they created such a program.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy12 View Post
                      I also support the idea of diaspora Armenians following 2 months trainings in Armenia! These diaspora troops must be trained to conduct just 1 military action! Meaning some would be trained to become snipers, other to use an AK, others to use ATGMs, others to drive military trucks...2 monthd is enough time to learn a single function! I believe this would create an immense military force! But all this requires billions of dollars which the homeland cannot put aside to realize it right now! But i do believe this is a right way to go!
                      I more-or-less agree with everything you said, especially the proposal for giving diasporan Armenians a chance to get military training in Armenia. However, besides the obvious cost obstacle for implementing such a program, such a program would potentially make the Armenian military vulnerable to infiltration by foreign agents. Importing diasporan Armenians into the structures of the Armenian armed forces poses a significant risk to the security of the Armenian Republic. I think many of us have a very romantic view of Armenians in the diaspora, or Armenians in general. Also, take into consideration that Armenians in general are not a warlike people. Before attempting any of your good suggestions we as a nation should first work on implementing a serious indoctrination program in Armenia that seeks to instill - nationalism - in the people. Nationalism/patriotism is fundamental to this particular discussion and to this general topic. A people that does not poses the fundamental tenets of nationalism is doomed to failure. Today, only a small core of Armenians in the Armenian diaspora and the Armenian nation can be considered nationalists. Let's work on creating nationalists first.
                      Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X