Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
    But a fundamental difference that i see, is that Armenia's foreign policy is really Russia's foreign policy in the region. If Armenia wants to do something as drastic as growing it's borders, then it would need Russian backing and approval. I think the Russians will instead take what they want and we might get a slice of it. That's the best we could hope for right now.
    Well yes...that's what I said. Russia will take the initiative by forcing its way through Georgia (at which point it would be relatively easy to convince them that a border is necessary).

Another interesting idea I have heard is to offer Russia a military base in NKR. I know it sounds far-fetched at this point, but I don't think that in the long-run Russia prioritizes anything over maintaining influence in the Caucasus. Even the mere gesture of such an offer would do much to help Armenia, coupled with the fact that Azerbaijan is becoming an annoyance to Russia with their Western tendencies and Gabala issue.

Comment

Originally posted by davidoga View Post
      ....... what does Russia care if Armenia retakes Nakhchivan and/or advances the frontline?.......
      My understanding is that there is a treaty to which among others ( Armenia, Azerbaijan) Turkey and Russia are parties.

That is one of the reasons why Armenian forces were “told” to hold back going into Nakhichevan during the war.

Of coarse treaties can be broken, do not know the wider scope of this treaty and consequences breaking this may result.
      Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
        My understanding is that there is a treaty to which among others ( Armenia, Azerbaijan) Turkey and Russia are parties.

That is one of the reasons why Armenian forces were �told� to hold back going into Nakhichevan during the war.

Of coarse treaties can be broken, do not know the wider scope of this treaty and consequences breaking this may result.
        Number of things:

1. The Republic of Armenia does not recognize the Treaty of Kars.

2. Turkey is practicing selective implementation. It agrees to protect Nakhchivan, but does not have a consulate in all 3 nations of the South Caucasus (as stipulated by the treaty). By every definition, the document is null and void.

3. Turkey cannot enforce this treaty even if they wanted to. They have arguably the worst-orchestrated foreign policy in the world: Turkey has made enemies of all countries in the region(Armenia, Iran, Greece, Kurdistan, Syria, Israel) but would not DARE act against any of them. What's more, there EU hopes are dead and NATO clearly does not give a sh*t about them. Things are getting so bad that there is talk of sacking Davutoglu.

My point is that the fate of Nakhchivan rests solely in the hands of Russia and Armenia. While it is easy to say that the former decides everything, you need to understand that the relationship is mutually beneficial. If Armenia can make a compelling argument (maybe coupled with concessions such as Russian base in NKR), everything is possible.

Comment

Azerbaijani soldier dies

[ 31 Jul 2012 18:35 ]
          Baku. Hafiz Heydarov – APA. The Azerbaijani Army lost one more soldier.

APA reports that the incident was recorded in Defense Ministry’s “N” military unit situated in Goranboy region. Soldier Mehdi Bahadir Sultanov died as a result of fire opened from his service submachine gun.

Press service of the Defense Ministry confirmed the fact to APA. The investigation is carried out into the fact.

Sultanov was drafted from Baku’s Sabunchu district.
          apa.az

Comment

Number of things:

1. The Republic of Armenia does not recognize the Treaty of Kars.

2. Turkey is practicing selective implementation. It agrees to protect Nakhchivan, but does not have a consulate in all 3 nations of the South Caucasus (as stipulated by the treaty). By every definition, the document is null and void.

3. Turkey cannot enforce this treaty even if they wanted to. They have arguably the worst-orchestrated foreign policy in the world: Turkey has made enemies of all countries in the region(Armenia, Iran, Greece, Kurdistan, Syria, Israel) but would not DARE act against any of them. What's more, there EU hopes are dead and NATO clearly does not give a sh*t about them. Things are getting so bad that there is talk of sacking Davutoglu.

My point is that the fate of Nakhchivan rests solely in the hands of Russia and Armenia. While it is easy to say that the former decides everything, you need to understand that the relationship is mutually beneficial. If Armenia can make a compelling argument (maybe coupled with concessions such as Russian base in NKR), everything is possible.
            Nakhchivan is mostly useless to us now. Better things stay as they're until the right time comes. I'd rather be looking at northern artsakh...

Comment

Originally posted by burjuin View Post
              apa.az
              This has to be the second time an Azerbaboon has shot himself this week. I'm starting to get the impression that their guns look something like this:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse-gun.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	538870

"Nakhchivan is mostly useless to us now. Better things stay as they're until the right time comes. I'd rather be looking at northern artsakh..."

Not sure what you mean by useless. Nakhchivan, apart from being a part of the Armenian identity, is also VERY fertile. It also provides Azerbaijan with the only border it has to Turkey. Taking it would be a strategic victory. Also, trade with Iran will be exponentially facilitated. I don't know if you have been to Artsakh recently, but you will notice that on the drive from Yerevan, there is an endless line of Iranian trucks.....

By Northern Artsakh, are you referring to Goranboy, Ganja, and Qazakh regions? Those areas do not have Armenians either and are of less historical/cultural significance than Nakhchivan. But ultimately, I agree with you: those lands should be ours.
              Last edited by davidoga; 07-31-2012, 06:50 AM.

Comment

This has to be the second time an Azerbaboon has shot himself this week. I'm starting to get the impression that their guns look something like this:
                [ATTACH]2580[/ATTACH]

"Nakhchivan is mostly useless to us now. Better things stay as they're until the right time comes. I'd rather be looking at northern artsakh..."

Not sure what you mean by useless. Nakhchivan, apart from being a part of the Armenian identity, is also VERY fertile. It also provides Azerbaijan with the only border it has to Turkey. Taking it would be a strategic victory. Also, trade with Iran will be exponentially facilitated. I don't know if you have been to Artsakh recently, but you will notice that on the drive from Yerevan, there is an endless line of Iranian trucks.....

By Northern Artsakh, are you referring to Goranboy, Ganja, and Qazakh regions? Those areas do not have Armenians either and are of less historical/cultural significance than Nakhchivan. But ultimately, I agree with you: those lands should be ours.
                North Artsakh is no less armenian or ancient than Nakhchivan, it's just that we lost north artsakh even before nakhchivan, long long ago(think more than half a millennium before). Nakhchivan is fertile, but so is North Artsakh, which also has a strategic position in the caucus in modern day (pipeline, trainline, also the only reliable way NATO ships their stuff through the caspian sea to afghanistan), it's also more beautiful >). It would give us strategic depth against azeris on the right flank, also gets us nearer to Russia than before. If we get north artsakh(including gazakh), georgian influence in the south caucus will be next to nill.

Getting nakhchivan will just piss off the turks and possibly Iran, and Russia. Wont serve us as much in the long term. Also, Once the train line to iran from armenia completes, reliance on trucks and nakhichevan will be reduced significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
                  North Artsakh is no less armenian or ancient than Nakhchivan, it's just that we lost north artsakh even before nakhchivan, long long ago(think more than half a millennium before). Nakhchivan is fertile, but so is North Artsakh, which also has a strategic position in the caucus in modern day (pipeline, trainline, also the only reliable way NATO ships their stuff through the caspian sea to afghanistan), it's also more beautiful >). It would give us strategic depth against azeris on the right flank, also gets us nearer to Russia than before. If we get north artsakh(including gazakh), georgian influence in the south caucus will be next to nill.

Getting nakhchivan will just piss off the turks and possibly Iran, and Russia. Wont serve us as much in the long term. Also, Once the train line to iran from armenia completes, reliance on trucks and nakhichevan will be reduced significantly.
                  You're right, it is as Armenian. However, I doubt that any land can be more strategic than Nakhchivan, as it is Azerbaijan's only land access to Turkey (without which it would literally be surrounded by hostile states). And I agree that it is beautiful, I would love to go to Gandzak city

Either through Georgia or Azerbaijan, a border needs to be created. I prefer the former, though, because the population is at least Christian.

Don't see why Iran would have a problem with Armenian-controlled Nakhchivan. They tacitly recognize our claims, as there is an Armenian-dominated sector of Isfahan called "New Dzugha." But then again, Iran was against a possible Armenian takeover in '93....

Comment

"Another interesting idea I have heard is to offer Russia a military base in NKR. I know it sounds far-fetched at this point, but I don't think that in the long-run Russia prioritizes anything over maintaining influence in the Caucasus. Even the mere gesture of such an offer would do much to help Armenia, coupled with the fact that Azerbaijan is becoming an annoyance to Russia with their Western tendencies and Gabala issue."

You know I like you so much better when you are talking like this bro! You have come around a bit

Now let us start formulating plans both for a land link to Russia and Nakchivan, becuase we all know that it is a pit stop! They are still sitting on our lands fat and happy. This is not going to last for ever, god forbid that day for the toorks!

Getze Hayastan!

Comment

hahah iam so sorry guys for censura, but i needed to post the picture i made

Comment

Working...
                      X