Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Who owns what in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who owns what in Armenia

Where did you see me justify or accept the oligarchs? I respect most of your writing because you do not "put words in other peoples mouths" so please don't start now. Then you repeat what i have said all along that a small nation like Armenia cannot afford to make the same mistakes as the bigger nations-this is like preaching to the quire. I want the oligarchs gone asap but it will never ever happen and neither will that opposition group of your dreams. The sad reality is that oligarchs only get more powerful and sophisticated and they morph into what we have in USA now-a system where people think they have a say but nobody ruling the country could care less about the people. They also kill effective opposition and set up fake opposition to make it look democratic. All of this is being done in Armenia and has been done in all developed democracies. I warned against this very thing when Armenia became independent but hey people wanted to be like America so here you are now.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

I wouldn't say it will never ever happen Haykakan....not likely anytime soon but not impossible. As citizens voice their views and as the country goes through its growing pains.

btw surprising amount of Americans are realizing what is really going on and the vets are the biggest voices.
      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

No Eddo there cannot exist a real political party in such a unequal society. Those at the top will bribe/threaten/scandalize/kill those who try to do anything good just like they do here in USA now. They will then install their moles and cronies and take over the party. People are shocked by what goes on in Armenia because they are ignorant of how politics "works" in capitalism. It is the same xxxx in the west only far more refined but yes you are right people are catching on but then what? So now you know so what do you do now? I do my part by educating hundreds of people about it but as one of my students asked me - what should i do? I do not have a real answer to this question accept whatever answer it is it will not work via regular political system because it is all corrupted to the core. In Armenia it is a little different because world powers are backing opposing sides but the effect is all the same where real issues get sidelined and stupid crap becomes the burning issue of the day-forget inequality-forget the death of the middle class-forget the destruction of society and its future-it is gay rights, abortion, Miley Srus... that really matter. We have lots of people here with the likes of Vrej the pessimist-Tom the Armenian uncle Tom-We have optimists which includes too many to name-i happen to be a realist-no bs-no crocodile tears-just reality but people do not like reality so they wear their colorful sunglasses and pretend the world is not what it is. Just think about the name of this thread-like what kind of a person would dwell on who owns what? We all know the oligarchs own it all so why start this thread? He starts it because he wants to dwell on the negativity-he has a sickness and this is his therapy. Pathetic and sad but this is indeed the state of the world we live in today.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

I don't thing colored glasses matter and you come across more of a pessimist (glass half empty) than a realist, not that you don't see reality.....the parallels between the awaken American people and the awaken Armenian people are very close, they both don't know what to do to restore and protect their rights from deterioration plus Americans have comfort zone not worth loosing in a civil war or civil unrest unlike Armenians who feel it more.
          We must remember what kind of a world we will leave our grandchildren and how they will judge us.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Sorry for this, but just can't help it----
            ---- Haykakan, are you insinuating that Miley isn't all important?
            Man, what are you thinking???
            Hahaha ah hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Serjik View Post
              Axper jan OMG thats Monte? My bad. All his time and I thought you had an Arab fetish LOL

Yeah Armenia has a lot of painful growing pains axper jan, it sure ain't pretty over there but it aint prettier anywhere else in the region so let's not get bent out of shape. I see how my family over there suffers day to day with all sorts of stuff but its not because of this oligarch or that oligarch its because the lack of high paying jobs because of closed borders, closed factories and screwed up neighborhood. Armenia is like located in a place like in south central LA, if know what I mean LOL Our best neighbor is Iran and they are sanctioned! Thats show you bro. We can criticize and protest whats going on but no getting on Uncle Sams bandwagon to cause more demoralize and destabilization in the country by joining with western mercenaries who want to take Armenia's natural problems and use it against Armenia for political reasons. You should watch the cable tv show Who built America on History channel. Just think man one hundred years ago this wonderful place we live in place was one big sweatshop and before that a big plantation for slaves. But things change and now that they got all rich and whatnot because of their stealing and wars they want to tell other newly starting off countrys what to do and how to live? No bro, we need to do home grown grass roots activism to help Armenia and not join forces with our enemies. And we have to be critical in a positive way and be have to be patient, like Rome was not build in one day. I periodically read The Gamper by Mat Bayramian and theriseofrussia.blogspot by Arevordi. Rise of Russia's webmaster is sometimes extremistic but he make a good sense when he talks about political situations facing Armenia. You should read him. Him and Haykakan here actually changed how I think about politics. I think you should pay attention to these older men. We all hurt for Armenia and worry for her and we all know the problems overthere but we dont need foreigners like Bell telling us what to do and we dont need hysterical armos crying fire every time they dont like something. Enough bro let Armenia go through evolution. I visit my relatives in Armenia a lot and trust me bro the country is not what MSN makes it out to be. The place is slowly but surely getting better.

And this Vrej character is fake IMHO, from his comments I know he is a fake because he basically repeats everything Azeri favorite Lragir writes. This is the internet there is no old or young here because there is no way anybody can verify who is who and what is what. Like how do you know Im Serj who grew up in Glendale (Armendale LOL) and is now studying in New York? Age means nothing in the internet. Anyway instead of coming hard down on me like Im ur enemy you should be shutting the mouths of the Armenia bashers here that includes Vrej and Bell who are causing us a lot of demoralization and our homeland is depopulating because of it.
              First of, sorry if I've been a bit too aggressive in my responses. See if you just stick to your arguments, without cussing out the other person, people will listen to what you have to say. We all do that once in a while, but its a good to avoid if you want to be listened to.

Aper I read both of those blogs regularly and both are from very informed people. I know a bit about William Bairamian, having met him, and knowing his brother, so I can trust what he has to say more. He is a highly educated and accomplished person, but one thing about him, like a lot of us, he does the best to see the best of our country, so he always says everything in the best terms. As far as the Rise of Russia blog, I've been reading it for a few years, I've read his posts on this forum from a few years ago too. I take what he says with a grain of salt. No doubt he is very informed, but he's views are quite extremists.

How do you think Armenia is to improve? How does this evolution occur? by people fighting for it to occur. It won't improve if we you just accept that things are how they are. How does Armenia's external situation related to the billions being stolen by some of these bastards in power. There is a difference between some of these animals like the Prosperous Party or Ter-Petrosyan trying to get into power, or foreign forces trying to influence Armenia, and people trying to fix real issues in the Armenian society. Believe it or not, in the near future, Armenia's Turkish and Azeri borders will not open, Armenia will not have access to a sea, and Armenia will not be connected to Russia. So I don't know how Armenia is supposed to improve. Also believe it or not, most other Armenian news sites actually have higher proportion of Azeri visitors that Lragir.

Not that I'm supporting Lragir, or accept the unnecessary negativity, but a significant part of that negativity is well justified.
              Last edited by Mher; 01-17-2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Will it be Professor Dodi Gago next?

Knowledge important rather than degrees
                “Last year I watched TV and heard about 149 new PhD theses! In the USSR, only 10 to 15 people used to defend PhD theses after working for many years…”

Director of the National Gallery of Armenia Paravon Mirzoyan cannot understand officials seeking PhDs.

“Last year I watched TV and heard about 149 new PhD theses! In the USSR, only 10 to 15 people used to defend PhD theses after working for many years,” Mirzoyan told Tert.am.

Speaking of Yerevan Mayor Taron Margaryan and Minister of Transport Gagik Beglaryan, both of whom recently defended their theses, Mirzoyan said: “It is knowledge that is of importance. It must be a fashion now when one is addressed as ‘doctor’ or ‘professor’.”

Police Refuse to Take Action Against Pro-Government Youths

Astghik Bedevian
                RFE/RL Armenia Report - 01/10/2014

Pro-government youths prevent journalists from covering the
                supposedly public defense of Yerevan Mayor Taron Markarian's doctoral
                thesis, Yerevan, 26 Dec 2013.

The Armenian police have refused to launch criminal proceedings
                against pro-government students that forcibly prevented journalists
                from covering a supposedly public defense of Yerevan Mayor Taron
                Markarian's controversial doctoral dissertation.

Markarian was awarded a PhD in economics by the Armenian State
                Economics University (ASEU) on December 26 at a ceremony that was
                effectively held behind the closed doors contrary to legal
                requirements.

Several dozen aggressive youths led by the pro-government heads of the
                ASEU student council blocked the entrance to the university building
                to thwart any press coverage of the dissertation defense. Some of them
                bullied and insulted reporters trying to make their away into the
                building. Two police officers guarding the entrance looked on and
                refused to intervene.

Some of the reporters lodged afterwards a formal complaint with the
                police, demanding the opening of a criminal case against the youths
                affiliated with the ruling Republican Party (HHK). They cited an
                article of Armenia's Criminal Code that makes it a crime to obstruct
                the work of journalists.

The complaint was essentially dismissed by the police. The chief of
                the national police service, Vladimir Gasparian, said on Thursday that
                he has only `reprimanded' the two policemen for effectively obeying
                the abusive students' orders.

Tigran Safarian, a lawyer representing the journalists, also filed a
                separate complaint with another law-enforcement body, the Special
                Investigative Service (SIS). Safarian said on Friday that the SIS has
                still not responded to the appeal.

Hayk Gevorgian, a senior correspondent for the `Haykakan Zhamanak'
                daily who tried in vain to cover Markarian's dissertation defense,
                criticized the police stance. `Police should have detained and
                prosecuted at least two dozen youths on the spot,' he said. `The
                police not only failed to do that but also sided with that hooligan
                band.'

Nor have the students in question faced serious disciplinary action
                from the university administration. The ASEU rector, Koryun Atoyan,
                claimed to have rebuked them after the incident. `I summoned everyone
                and told that regardless of what happened they had no right to behave
                like that,' he told RFE/RL's Armenian service (Azatutyun.am).

A photograph circulated on through the Internet earlier this week
                showed Atoyan attending a New Year's party with the same students on
                December 31. `Why should I have not partied with my students?' he said
                on Friday.

The rector personally told the embattled journalists on December 26
                that they cannot attend the event despite a legal requirement that it
                must be open to the public and the media in particular.
                Last edited by bell-the-cat; 01-19-2014, 06:27 AM.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                  Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                  Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
                    Of course I couldn't understand a word of it.
                    But, it looked like the two guest commentators on the left were pointed out the fraudulent behavior seen when the reporters tried to witness the "degree buying".
                    And the two on the right were defending oligarch nonsense.
                    Could be wrong.
                    The filming of the reporters & the young thugs + police cooperation with youthful thugs, seems to say it all.
                    The young wannabe tough guys are the children of those who are getting their palms greased by the oligarchs & also obvious candidates as buyers of good grades & degrees.
                    The police are obviously bought & paid for.
                    My question is ... What could the two on the right have possibly said in public that wasn't laughable???
                    Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
                      Of course I couldn't understand a word of it.
                      But, it looked like the two guest commentators on the left were pointed out the fraudulent behavior seen when the reporters tried to witness the "degree buying".
                      And the two on the right were defending oligarch nonsense.
                      Could be wrong.
                      The filming of the reporters & the young thugs + police cooperation with youthful thugs, seems to say it all.
                      The young wannabe tough guys are the children of those who are getting their palms greased by the oligarchs & also obvious candidates as buyers of good grades & degrees.
                      The police are obviously bought & paid for.
                      My question is ... What could the two on the right have possibly said in public that wasn't laughable???
                      Artashes
                      actually both sides were condemning. Left side was for totally abolishing country's academic system of degrees and certificates. Right side was for cleaning up current system from political influenses.

Comment

Working...
                      X