Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!


2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.


- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.


8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Preservation, conservation of monuments.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Preservation, conservation of monuments.

    There was talk of a special thread on this topic.
    I do not know if it was done.
    If so, please do relocate and merge this one with that one.
    If not, so be it;

  • #2
    Re: Preservation, conservation of monuments.

    SAMVEL KARAPETYAN: PROTECTION OF MONUMENTS DOES NOT ALWAYS DEPEND ON MONEY
    Sona Hakobyan

    "Radiolur"
    18:11 18.04.2013

    Every year on 18 April, the International Council on Monuments and
    Sites (ICOMOS) celebrates the "International Day for Monuments and
    Sites", whose establishment was approved by the 22nd UNESCO General
    Conference in 1983. In 2013, the theme is Heritage of Education
    (schools, universities, libraries, academies, etc.) in its expressions
    in different geo-cultural contexts.

    The aim of the International Day for Monuments and Sites is to
    encourage local communities and individuals throughout the world
    to consider the importance of cultural heritage to their lives,
    identities and communities, and to promote awareness of its diversity
    and vulnerability and the efforts required to protect and conserve it.

    The protection of monuments does not always depend on money, said
    Samvel Karapetyan, President of the Research on Armenian Architecture
    Fund. According to him, more important are the moral features of the
    nation, the minimal respect and good taste. The expert said he does
    not see a careful attitude towards monuments in Armenia today.

    Samvel Karapetyan said he would like to be the Minister
    of Education for just five minutes. He would use the time to
    instruct the headmasters of all general schools to organize trips
    to historical-cultural sites, as he's confident indifference and
    lack of attitude are to blame for the poor condition of monuments in
    our country.

    http://www.armradio.am/en/2013/04/18...pend-on-money/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Preservation, conservation of monuments.

      Originally posted by Vrej1915 View Post
      There was talk of a special thread on this topic.
      I do not know if it was done.
      If so, please do relocate and merge this one with that one.
      If not, so be it;
      There are two threads actually.
      Here http://forum.hyeclub.com/showthread....Heritage-Sites
      And the one I started here, before I know the above thead existed.
      http://forum.hyeclub.com/showthread....ments-in-Peril

      Both those are in the Armenian History section - but the sad reality is that this section, Armenian Politics, is probably a more accurate home for them since the issues have nothing to do with conservation (the concept of "conservation" doesn't seem to be understood in Armenia), and have everything to do with politics.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Preservation, conservation of monuments.

        Originally posted by Vrej1915 View Post
        SAMVEL KARAPETYAN: PROTECTION OF MONUMENTS DOES NOT ALWAYS DEPEND ON MONEY
        Sona Hakobyan

        "Radiolur"
        18:11 18.04.2013

        Every year on 18 April, the International Council on Monuments and
        Sites (ICOMOS) celebrates the "International Day for Monuments and
        Sites", whose establishment was approved by the 22nd UNESCO General
        Conference in 1983. In 2013, the theme is Heritage of Education
        (schools, universities, libraries, academies, etc.) in its expressions
        in different geo-cultural contexts.

        The aim of the International Day for Monuments and Sites is to
        encourage local communities and individuals throughout the world
        to consider the importance of cultural heritage to their lives,
        identities and communities, and to promote awareness of its diversity
        and vulnerability and the efforts required to protect and conserve it.

        The protection of monuments does not always depend on money, said
        Samvel Karapetyan, President of the Research on Armenian Architecture
        Fund. According to him, more important are the moral features of the
        nation, the minimal respect and good taste. The expert said he does
        not see a careful attitude towards monuments in Armenia today.

        Samvel Karapetyan said he would like to be the Minister
        of Education for just five minutes. He would use the time to
        instruct the headmasters of all general schools to organize trips
        to historical-cultural sites, as he's confident indifference and
        lack of attitude are to blame for the poor condition of monuments in
        our country.

        http://www.armradio.am/en/2013/04/18...pend-on-money/
        It's all waffle waffle waffle waffle. Karapetyan is becoming another Ara Baliozian (as if we need even one Ara Baliozian) - someone who seems reluctant to ever name names or cite specific examples or be specifically critical of anything. Armenia should be expelled from UNESCO given Armenia's blatant disregard for the treaties it has signed up to regarding the protection of cultural monuments. And Zvartnots should be delisted from UNESCO's World Heritage List since (after its destructive rebuilding at the hands of the Lincy Foundation), it no longer fills the requirements for listing. But luckily for Armenia (and unlucky for Armenia's monuments), UNESCO is all politics and nothing at all to do with the protection of culture (Julfa proved that).
        Plenipotentiary meow!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Preservation, conservation of monuments.

          Expert of medieval architecture Samvel Karapetyan to present new scientific work

          14:25, 20 April, 2013

          YEREVAN, APRIL 20, ARMENPRESS: President of Research on Armenian
          Architecture Foundation Samvel Karapetyan told about Turkish speaking
          Armenians in his videoblog. As Armenpress has been informed from the
          administration of the videoblog, Samvel Karapetyan hopes to complete
          the publication of a scientific work, telling history of 300 villages
          situated on left bank of the Kur River, as well as Armenian
          architectural monuments with their measurements and photos. Samvel
          Karapetyan also plans to share his memoires at the end of the work,
          consisting of 600-700 pages.

          In the video he tells about Armenians, speaking Turkish, whom he met
          on left bank of the Kur River.



          http://armenpress.am/eng/news/715998...ific-work.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Preservation, conservation of monuments.

            Monuments in Nagorno-Karabakh region left unattended

            21:30 - 20.04.13


            Many historical-cultural monuments in Nagorno-Karabakh's Kashatagh
            region are in a dire need of protection, an editor of a local
            publication has said in Yerevan.

            `Thousands of historical monuments in the region are the best evidence
            that the territory is Armenian. So our demand is to have them at least
            reinforced,' Zohrap Erkoyan, the editor-in-chief of the Meran
            newspaper, told a news conference on Saturday.

            The best monument, he said, is the Varazgom monastery, a 9th century
            construction that needs renovation.

            `Besides, there are 18th century churches which also need repairs,' he
            said, adding that the region also has rock carved churches whose
            repairs require very small costs.

            http://www.tert.am/en/news/2013/04/2...agh-monuments/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Preservation, conservation of monuments.

              Originally posted by Vrej1915 View Post
              Monuments in Nagorno-Karabakh region left unattended

              21:30 - 20.04.13


              Many historical-cultural monuments in Nagorno-Karabakh's Kashatagh
              region are in a dire need of protection, an editor of a local
              publication has said in Yerevan.

              `Thousands of historical monuments in the region are the best evidence
              that the territory is Armenian. So our demand is to have them at least
              reinforced,' Zohrap Erkoyan, the editor-in-chief of the Meran
              newspaper, told a news conference on Saturday.

              The best monument, he said, is the Varazgom monastery, a 9th century
              construction that needs renovation.

              `Besides, there are 18th century churches which also need repairs,' he
              said, adding that the region also has rock carved churches whose
              repairs require very small costs.

              http://www.tert.am/en/news/2013/04/2...agh-monuments/

              These monuments need protecting from people like Zohrap Erkoyan. Protecting from nationalist bigots like him who only see them as objects to be exploited for their ideology.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Preservation, conservation of monuments.

                Sakharov Square Building: Another Case of Misplaced 'Eminent Domain'

                Kristine Aghalaryan
                HETQ, April 17 2013
                http://hetq.am/eng/articles/25607/sa...nt-domain.html

                The building in the photo, located at 2 Pushkin Street facing Sakharov Square, is registered as a local monument.

                The government has allocated it to an outfit called Local Developers, Ltd., a company founded by Samvel Mayrapetyan and his wife Gohar Kyalyan, former rector of the State Medical University.

                The building was designed by the architect N. Buniatyan and went up in 1930.

                Up until last year, the building housed the No. 8 fire and emergency services unit of the RA Ministry of Emergency Situations. In September, the unit relocated to a new building on Myasnikian Street.

                The building now serves as a garage for local residents and officials of nearby government agencies. The parking spaces are being rented out. A local lad named Davit refuted the claim that the parking spaces are being rented out by the month. Davit told me that the cars belong to his friends and relatives and that the fire brigade chief had requested that he keep his eyes on the site so that the homeless don’t move in.

                Samvel Mayrapetyan could say nothing about the parked cars. He claimed ignorance and said that he hadn’t started to provide security for the site.

                On May 7, 2009, the government decided to allocate the building to Mayrapetyan, arguing that the new owner would thus be compensated for agreeing to cover the costs of building a new structure for the fire and emergency unit on Myasnikian Street.

                In response to a Hetq inquiry sent to the Yerevan Municipality, the Office of the Chief Architect said that the municipality had granted no construction permits regarding the building.

                Samvel Mayrapetyan told Hetq that he hadn’t yet decided what his plans are for the landmark building, given that the process of buying up the property of residents in the immediate vicinity hadn’t been completed.

                Thus, it turns out that not only has the landmark building been allocated to Samvel Mayrapetyan under the pretense of eminent domain, but adjacent properties as well.

                Another Piece of Old Yerevan Faces Uncertain Future

                Kristine Aghalaryan
                HETQ, April 18 2013
                http://hetq.am/eng/articles/25636/an...in-future.html

                There’s a placard on the outside wall of the building at 4 Pushkin Street that reads, “Maintained by the government.”

                Emma Kilikyan, a resident, says that the sign is merely for show and that the government is doing nothing to preserve the building built in the late 19th and early 20th century.

                “They couldn’t give a hoot about this place,” said Kilikyan, who lives in the building along with her husband. The structure is included in the list of historical-cultural landmarks.

                The resident says that an episode of the film Garegin Nzhdeh was filmed in the courtyard out back.

                Kilikyan says that the building once belonged to the wealthy Tairov family and that the Kilikyans purchased in the late 1920s. She's been living there ever since and was married 55 years ago.

                She says that the businessman Samvel Mayrapetyan is now pressuring them to sell.

                The government has allocated the building at 2 Pushkin Street (the former fire engine station facing Sakharov Square) and adjacent structures to Mayrapetyan under an eminent domain order.

                According to a 2008 government decision, Mayrapetyan’s “Local Developers” company in a project designed to rid Yerevan of dilapidated structures that were not seismically sound. The plan at the time was for the site to be demolished and a new multi-purpose structure to be built.

                The government’s decision notes that the area contains landmark buildings which are in poor condition.

                In its decision, the government also stated that the new owner of the site would be allowed to “restore and rebuild” the existing structures in a manner that would synthesize the old Yerevan architectural style with buildings now being erected.

                As to what this means in practical terms is anyone’s guess. Even Mayrapetyan, the new owner, confesses that he hasn’t yet decided what to build at the site.

                He knows that there are two landmark buildings at the site and claims that it is possible to maintain their former appearance, but that he will have to consult with architectural specialists. Mayrapetyan says that the Ministry of Culture will also have a say in the matter as to what can and cannot be changed.

                Kilikyan says that Mayrapetyan has offered the family $400,000 for their 1,000 square meter property but have rejected the sum as inadequate.

                She claims the market value is more like $1 million.

                Most of the residents at 4 Pushkin have already accepted Mayrapetyan’s money and have vacated the premises.

                One such resident, who didn’t wish to be named, said he accepted $70,000 for a 70 square meter apartment; an amount regarded as way below market for an apartment in the heart of Yerevan.

                Mayrapetyan says he doesn’t know what course of action he will take regarding those who hold out for more money.

                “The historical buildings require specific decisions and special attention,” said Mayrapetyan.

                For the present, the status of 2 Pushkin remains in limbo.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Destruction of a church in Sghert, Occupied Western Armenia

                  Թուրքիայում հերթական հայկական եկեղեցին է քանդվել. ահազանգում են իրավապաշտպանները (ֆոտո)
                  http://news.am/arm/news/151454.html


                  Մայիս 01, 2013
                  Նախկինում հայերով բնակեցված Թուրքիայի Սիիրթ նահանգի Էրուհի շրջանի Սուրբ Հովհաննես եկեղեցին քանդվել եւ տեղում աղջիկների համար կացարան է կառուցվում։

                  Ինչպես տեղեկացնում է Hytert-ը, Թուրքիայի մարդու իրավունքների միության Սիիրթի (Սղերթ) մասնաճյուղի պատասխանատուները մամուլի ասուլիսի ժամանակ հայտարարել են, թե Էրուհի հայկական Սուրբ Հովհաննես եկեղեցու քանդումն ու Էրուհի ճանապարհին հայկական գերեզմանների վրա ճանապարհ կառուցելը բռնաբարություն է հայ ժողովրդի հավատքի հանդեպ։

                  Մամուլի ասուլիսի ժամանակ թուրք իրավապաշտպաններից Սերդար Բաթուրը ցույց է տվել արդեն քանդված հայկական եկեղեցու հայերենով փորագրված քարերը, որոնք օգտագործցում են նոր կառուցվող շինության մեջ։ Նա նշել է, թե Էրուհում ապրողները, ովքեր հետագայում մահմեդականացվել են, դեռեւս այցելում են այդ եկեղեցու տարածք եւ մոմ վառում։

                  Մեկ այլ իրավապաշտպան Զանա Աքսուն հայտարարել է, թե 1915-ին սկսված եւ շարունակվող Հայոց ցեղասպանության գաղափարը Սիիրթում փորձում են թարմ պահել։

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Destruction of a church in Sghert, Occupied Western Armenia

                    Originally posted by Vrej1915 View Post
                    Թուրքիայում հերթական հայկական եկեղեցին է քանդվել. ահազանգում են իրավապաշտպանները (ֆոտո)
                    http://news.am/arm/news/151454.html


                    Մայիս 01, 2013
                    Նախկինում հայերով բնակեցված Թուրքիայի Սիիրթ նահանգի Էրուհի շրջանի Սուրբ Հովհաննես եկեղեցին քանդվել եւ տեղում աղջիկների համար կացարան է կառուցվում։

                    Ինչպես տեղեկացնում է Hytert-ը, Թուրքիայի մարդու իրավունքների միության Սիիրթի (Սղերթ) մասնաճյուղի պատասխանատուները մամուլի ասուլիսի ժամանակ հայտարարել են, թե Էրուհի հայկական Սուրբ Հովհաննես եկեղեցու քանդումն ու Էրուհի ճանապարհին հայկական գերեզմանների վրա ճանապարհ կառուցելը բռնաբարություն է հայ ժողովրդի հավատքի հանդեպ։

                    Մամուլի ասուլիսի ժամանակ թուրք իրավապաշտպաններից Սերդար Բաթուրը ցույց է տվել արդեն քանդված հայկական եկեղեցու հայերենով փորագրված քարերը, որոնք օգտագործցում են նոր կառուցվող շինության մեջ։ Նա նշել է, թե Էրուհում ապրողները, ովքեր հետագայում մահմեդականացվել են, դեռեւս այցելում են այդ եկեղեցու տարածք եւ մոմ վառում։

                    Մեկ այլ իրավապաշտպան Զանա Աքսուն հայտարարել է, թե 1915-ին սկսված եւ շարունակվող Հայոց ցեղասպանության գաղափարը Սիիրթում փորձում են թարմ պահել։

                    The original Turkish source for the above is at: http://ermenihaber.am/?lang_id=1&men...4&cur_news=655

                    And in English.

                    http://news.am/eng/news/151454.html
                    May 01, 2013 | 15:14

                    The Surp Hovhannes (Saint John) Armenian church, which is located in Eruh Region of Turkey’s Siirt Province where Armenians used to live, is demolished and a dormitory for girls is being built at the site.

                    During a press conference, the persons in charge of the Siirt chapter of Turkey’s Human Rights Association announced that the destruction of the church and the construction of a road on the Armenian graves on the road of Eruh are a barbarity against the faith of the Armenian people, Hyetert website reports.

                    In this connection, human rights activist Serdar Batur showed the picture of the destroyed Armenian church’s Armenian language-engraved stones, which are used in the construction of the aforesaid dormitory. He noted that the Eruh residents, who were converted to Islam, still visit the area of that church and light candles there.

                    Another human rights activist, Zana Aksu, stated that there is an attempt to keep fresh in Siirt the idea of the Armenia Genocide, which continues ever since 1915.



                    Video of the nearby cemetery that was destroyed by the road making.
                    http://webtv.hurriyet.com.tr/2/41993...aya-cikti.aspx

                    And report of same:
                    http://news.am/eng/news/114714.html
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X