Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Art Simonyan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art Simonyan

Hailing from Yerevan it has been two years since he is boxing professionally. As a new amateur Armenian fighter, he overcame a great obstacle against a tough test himself, Carlos Contearas which resulted in Art Simonyan winning the title. That's right. Keep your eyes peered for this guy.

At the age of 27, Art is a 2 _ year pro. A rising prospect at 122 pounds, he has stepped up in class of opposition in his last three fights and scored his career-best wins, including winning the vacant United States Boxing Association jr. featherweight title in his last fight on July 26.
    In an interview with Francisco Salazar of Fightnews.com, Art said, “I’m pretty satisfied with my career so far. I know the professional fight game is different from the amateurs, but the amateurs has prepared me well for my career.
    “I came to the United States because I know that one could become successful in this country with the sport. I understood the change I would experience in coming here. I’m used to the travel because I have traveled all over the world as an amateur.
    “I’ve learned so much since I’ve been here. In this sport, you always have to learn strategies or techniques. Even world champions are always learning. As champions, fighters always learn because each fighter is different.
    “I have my own style. But you always look at other fighters and learn what makes them successful as well. You adapt to something new and that is can make you successful in this sport.”
    Manager Harry Kazandjian said, “I have never dealt with a fighter like this. Art has never asked who he is fighting or how much money he is fighting for. All he says is, ‘Let me know when and where.’ This kid is the most determined and hardest working fighter - with skills - I have ever worked with. A lot of fighters try hard, but they don’t have skills. Art has both, skills and determination. He is very dedicated, he has never missed training unless he is very, very ill. There are no excuses with him. He is in the gym every day. Art is here for one thing and one thing only – to train to win a title.”

Fight by Fight – 2003 - WON VACANT USBA JF TITLE - ONE OF HIS BEST WINS - in his last fight on 7-26-03 in Tunica, MS, he won a 12 round unanimous decision against former world title challenger Carlos Contreras (19-6-3): Conteras consistently pressed forward, but Art boxed and counterpunched effectively and dominated the fight; scored 116-111, 116-112, 116-112…
    ANOTHER BEST WIN - on 3-15-03 in Chicago, IL, he TKO’d Ablorh Sowah (17-3-1): it was an exciting fight; Art was floored by low blows in the 3rd and 4th rounds, but came back to score a knockdown in the 5th; Art landed a body punch in the 6th round and Sowah turned away claiming a low blow, but the referee did not recognize it and stopped the fight at 2:56, a TKO win for Art…

2002 – ANOTHER BEST WIN - on 12-13-02 in Temecula, CA, he TKO’d former world title challenger Radford Beasley (22-1): Beasley started fast and rocked Art in the 1st round, but Art came back strong in the 2nd, constantly pressed forward and wore down Beasley with a busier pace and sharper punches; Art was cut on the scalp by a clash of heads in the 3rd round, but rocked Beasley a number of times in the 5th and Beasley was cut over the left eye; Art was cut over the right eye in the 6th; but staggered Beasley late in the round; Art rocked Beasley again in the 7th, and the referee stopped the fight after the round…
    On 9-6-02 in Compton, CA, he won a 4 round unanimous decision against Mario Camarena (0-6-1): both fighters were cut by a clash of heads…
    On 6-6-02 in Montebello, CA, he knocked out southpaw Jacobo Gomez (8-8-2): the fight was scheduled for 10 rounds; Art scored a knockdown in the with a body punch in the 6th round, and Gomez was counted out at 1:46; after the fight, Art said, “I was not surprised he did not get up from the bodyshot. I was ready for anything. I did not know he was a southpaw until before the fight.”…
    On 4-19-02 in Montebello he won a 6 round decision against Julio Leal (3-3-1): Art dominated the fight and buckled Leal’s knees in the 5th round; both fighters were cut over their eyes in the 6th; scored 60-54 on all three scorecards; after the fight, Art said, “I did not think the fight was going to be easy. I wasn’t hurt. I was happy I got the rounds in because I want to go on to the 10 round fights.”…
    On 1-12-02 in Las Vegas, NV, he fought to a 6 round draw against David Vazquez (17-8-2), scored 58-56 Simonyan, 57-57, 57-57…

2001 – on 11-16-01 in Montebello he won a 6 round unanimous decision against Juan Martinez (11-19): the six-rounder was the main event of the fight card; Art was down from a low blow in the 1st round and Martinez was penalized one point; both fighters were cut over their left eyes in the 4th; Art was generally busier and sharper, and won by scored of 60-53, 59-54, 59-54 …
    On 9-14-01 in Montebello he TKO’d Freddy Castro (1-3-1): Art cut Castro over the right eye, and the fight was stopped on the cut at 2:08 of the 1st round…
    On 6-28-01 in Irvine, CA, he knocked out Mynor Vasquez (0-1) at 2:22 of the 1st round…
    On 5-25-01 in Prior Lake, MN, he TKO’d Brad Timm (5-11-1): Art scored a knockdown when Timm was held up by the ropes; Timm was held up by the ropes again, and the referee stopped the fight at 1:30 of the 1st round…
    On 4-26-01 in Irvine, CA, he won a 4 round decision against Juan Gutierrez…
    On 1-7-01 in Las Vegas, NV, he won a 4 round unanimous decision against Alejandro Lopez (0-3-3): both worked hard and kept a fast pace; scored 39-37, 39-37, 40-36…
    He debuted on 11-30-00 in Inglewood, CA, and knocked out Johannes Musa (0-13): Art scored one knockdown in the 1st round and another in the 4th, and the referee stopped the fight at 2:40 of the 4th round; Art weighed 134 for the fight, the heaviest of his career – Musa was a late substitute and much heavier, and Art put on weight to make up for the difference…

AMATEUR, PERSONAL BACKGROUND: Art started boxing around the age of 10 and reportedly had 215 amateur bouts (195-20)…he was a three-time Armenian National amateur champion, a U.S.S.R. champion, and won the European Cup…
    Manager Harry Kazandjian said, “Art was the number-one pick to go to the 2000 Olympics, but there were political issues in Armenia and it didn’t work out.”
    Art moved to Glendale, Ca., in 2000 and lives there with his aunt…he is married and has a daughter who is almost two years old; his wife and daughter still live in Armenia; his daughter was born after Art moved to the U.S. and he has never seen her; he has only seen photos of her and spoken to her on the telephone…he is a full-time fighter.

Working...
X