Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

16yr Annivarsary Of The Armenian Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16yr Annivarsary Of The Armenian Earthquake

Decemeber 7, 1988 Armenia was hit with a 6.9 earthquake, killing over 50,000 people and leaving a million homeless, 2/3 of the deaths were children.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this earlier...I'm sure some of you were effected by this tragedy wether directly or indirectly.

Share your stories here.

Many of my family members left for Armenia to help as volunteers and took me with them. After the rescue efforts were finished we were helping refugees settle in the trailors. I was about 11 so don't remember much, but I burned my face slightly trying to light one of those kerosene heaters. I also remember the smell of the recovered bodies from the rubble. Food was a problem too, my uncle was handing out mandarins...

Photos: http://www.butovo.com/~dimula/foto_spitak/index.html

Comment

Wow...interesting pictures...this one stood out the most

Comment

Can't say I knew anyone who was affected, still heartbreaking. Whenever I hear about Armenians in any sort of pain, even if I've never met them, I feel like it happened to a member of my family.
        "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

My family and I moved to Leninakan (Gyumri) after fleeing Baku. We didnt actually move there, we were put there, it was one of the cities that had refugees from Baku. All in all, I was there, I dont remember anything, and my parents dont like talking about it much. All I ever got out of them was that there was a man that was working on the house that had been given to us by the government, he apparently saved my life as well as my sisters lives because he quickly grapped us and ran out of the house when he felt the building shake. The tragic part is he saved us, but my parents later found out that he lost his entire family (wife and kids) during the earthquake. That day was also the day my sisters were supposed to start school, but my mom wanted to wait till the next day so we could settle in, thank goodness she waited, because almost all the kids that died that day died because they were in school. Also on that day my dad started his first job, he told me that a few minutes before the earthquake hit he went outside to have a smoke, minutes later the enitre building collapsed and there were few surviviors. Thinking about this is really emotional because I know that I was there, although I dont remember it. Makes you realize that life is a blessing.

Comment

Uph....Your story gave me goosebumps Inna.

I was only two years old when it happened, and lived in Syria, so I obviously do not remember anything. All I know is that my parents sent whatever they could, from flour and sugar to toys and clothes, and my grandmother with the other ladies from AGBU started a fond called "Kez hamar Hayastan" or something like that. From what my parents have told me, she was very active in raising funds and material donations for the earthquake zone.

Heroo ella...

Comment

I was about 6 or 7 years old when the earthquake occured. Strangely, we had already sold our house and we were set to fly to America, which we did 2 days after the earthquake. During it, we were staying at my grandmothers apartment, which was one of those many high rise apartment projects built during the Soviet projects, and we were I believe on the 10th floor. My grandmother is a heavy set old lady so she's not very mobile. When the earthquake struck, it was scary. I have yet to feel anything as powerful, not even the Northridge quake. I remember when it struck, my mom yelled at me and my brother to run downstairs quickly. And boy did we run. We didn't even look back. My mother stayed up there with my grandmother trying to help her, but she told us to run. And we ran down the stairs as fast as we could. Luckily nothing happened, but if it were to collapse, my grandmother and mother would have perished in the time that it took them to come out of the building. Those stupid Soviet buildings were never built well, but then again that's good ole Communist efficiency.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

I remember we were in elementary school and Mekhitarian and all the other Armenian schools did a night to collect money and we sang the song "Kez hamar, nor karoon ge ka, yev baytsar ge shogha norits, etc.." I wish I remembered all the words. It is a great song and gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
                The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

We arrived in the U.S on September of 88, so I wasn't there when it happend, and I don't remember much of the time.

But I do remember that later on there was a lot of talk about the earthquake being "artificially" created. I even remember my Armenian teacher telling us about it.

Heres some stuff I just searched for.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.

What do you guys think about this conspiracy theory?
                  Last edited by spiral; 12-08-2004, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I was in school too when it happend. Except I was in yerevan. The tables started shaking and the door was banging. We all got up ans started running out while the earthquake was happening. I had no idea what an earthquake was so I was very scared and conused.

Comment

Working...
                    X