Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Can Turkey Learn Tolerance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can Turkey Learn Tolerance?

One Year Imprisonment for Saying "Kurdistan"

05 October 2009, Monday

Diyarbakır - BİA News Center

Erol ÖNDEROĞLU [email protected]

Lawyer Eren Keskin, actor Murat Batğı and writer Edip Polat were handed a 1 year prison sentence for using the terms "Kurdistan" and "Kurds". Furthermore, they were deprived of all civil rights.

The Diyarbakır 5th High Criminal Court found lawyer Erin Keskin, theater actor Murat Batgi and author Edip Polat guilty of "inciting hatred and hostility" and handed down a 1 year prison sentence to each of them. The accused had been trialed because of using the terms "Kurdistan" and "Kurds" in a speech on the occasion of the 6th Culture and Art Festival in Diyarbakır three years ago on 31 March 2006.

Prison sentence plus heavy restrictions

Lawyer and human rights activist Keskin issued a press release in the Istanbul Branch of the Human Rights Association (HRA) on 3 October.

In line with prosecutor H. Yüksel Ünal's proposition, President Judge of the court Ahmet Alkan convicted the three accused on 29 September under article 216 of the Turkish Criminal Code (TCK) concerned with inciting hatred and hostility amongst the public and humiliation of the public.

Furthermore, the court decreed to deprive Keskin, Batgi and Polat of their rights to the assumption of a public office, to do duty for institutions and organizations, the right to vote and be elected, and the right to manage structures such as associations, foundations, companies, unions and parties.

"Kurdistan" and "Kurds" as reasons for penalty

On behalf of the Kurdish Writers Union (Kurdish PEN) Polat awarded a prize to Keskin at a panel with the topic of "The Kurdish Question from yesterday till today and its solutions". These are the sentences Polat was convicted for:

"... Indeed, before awarding this prize, if such an honest and brave person, a Kurd with Kurdish roots and in Kurdistan, can make a speech holding his head that high, then this makes me very happy".

After her conviction Keskin stated: "I will always continue to defend all the oppressed individuals and the right of the Kurdish people to determine their own destiny. And I will always continue to criticize the Turkish militarism's dominance over the civil politicians... Regarding the agenda of Turkey and Kurdistan... more than 200 cases have been opened against me until today, and there is also a penalty handed down to me now. I received all those penalties for using the concept of Kurdistan, and I will continue to do so till the end".

Batgi was quoted in the conviction from one of his stand-up shows as follows: "Ecevit is in a coma, pray for Ecevit that nothing happens, I said something the other day, "I am afraid I will see Kurdistan before I die" and I said "May god give you a lifetime of a thousand years so you can see four Kurdistans".

Court sees "clear and immediate danger"

The court concluded from those words that they revealed the "public incitement of hatred and hostility partly among the public and partly against the public". The actions following those speeches showed "evidence of clearly emerging and immediate danger".

In a previous trial the Gebze 3rd Criminal Court of First Instance had acquitted Keskin who was again to be trialed for using the term "Kurdistan". Keskin was also served with a subpoena by the Viranşehir Criminal Court under the same allegations resulting in the same decision on 20 November 2007.

On 19 July 2007 the Bulanık Attorney General, conceding that "one can agree with this or not", decided for the phrase to be part of the freedom of thought. (EÖ/VK)

Link

Comment

Hey Army i just wanted to add that you can speak about kurds and utter the word kurdistan as much as you like in armenia and no one will bother you about that either.
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Even the Prime Minister say 'Kurds'.. However Kurdistan is a different issue, its something like calling for an Azeri state on Armenian lands. Foolish ban anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
          So the answer to the question in the title of this thread is no.
          Case closed!

Don't need to push this topic up by posting new stuff. Let Turkey/Turks stand alone as THE country/people/nation who cannot learn tolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by may View Post
            Case closed!

Don't need to push this topic up by posting new stuff. Let Turkey/Turks stand alone as THE country/people/nation who cannot learn tolerance.
            I am sure they can but they sure as hell try not to.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Case closed!

In a forum full of little Armenian kids, you didn't really expect a satisfying conclusion, did you?
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Case closed!

Why not? Even though the question seems to be more rhetorical, the idea can still be debated with brand new topics and perhaps even improvement by Turkey's part.
                Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                  Why not? Even though the question seems to be more rhetorical, the idea can still be debated with brand new topics and perhaps even improvement by Turkey's part.
                  As a reminder, the first thread under this topic starts with this sentence: "They need to change this culture of violence"

Hence, at least the initially, topic is more of a racist one, than rhetorical. On the other hand, it sounds like it is asked from a point of a moral judge, or an authority who already has this virtue of being "tolerant"? By the way, who really learned/knows tolerance? Gavur? All Armenians? Some Turks but very very very very very small numbers? U.S.? Europeans?

Otherwise, I don't mind a topic named "Human right abuses in Turkey" etc. which this topic is actually evolving to. But within this headline: "Can Turkey Learn Tolerance?", thanks, I'll skip. You'll give that tolerance to chose the topic that I want to discuss right?

Comment

Ok May we will let you judge this then.

TURKISH COURT RULES NOBEL LAUREATE PAMUK CAN BE SUED FOR COMMENTS

DPA
                    GMT 10-7-2009 19:17:40

Istanbul - Turkey's Supreme Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday that Nobel
                    Laureate Orhan Pamuk can be sued for remarks made several years ago
                    about the alleged massacres of Armenians and Kurds in during World
                    War One, the semi-official Anatolian Agency reported.

'Thirty-thousand Kurds and a million Armenians have been killed and
                    almost nobody dares to mention that, except for me,' Pamuk was quoted
                    as saying in a Swiss magazine in 2005.

Nationalist activists filed suit against Pamuk, saying his remarks
                    had insulted them and demanding compensation.

Although lower courts in Istanbul have twice rejected the case,
                    the higher court ruled that the case should be heard again.

Pamuk, the widely-acclaimed author of 'Snow' and 'My Name is Red,'
                    won the Nobel prize in literature in 2006, the first Turkish author
                    to do so.

After he made his comments in 2005, charges were brought against him
                    that he had 'insulted Turkishness.' The charges were later dropped
                    for technical reasons.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                      In a forum full of little Armenian kids, you didn't really expect a satisfying conclusion, did you?
                      The only little kid here is you bell. If this forum is beneath you then why do you continue posting here. Lets see we are kids who cannot measure up to a great intellectual like you thus you chose to participate here anyways by insulting us kids. Sounds like someone doesnt have a life but hey here is something that i am sure a great intellectual such as yourself will find pleasure in

Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X