Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Territorial Reparations: Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Territorial Reparations: Is it possible?

My take on possible territorial reparations, based on access to the black sea to ensure the survival of the nation. 300-500 thousand people live in these territories, most historically Armenian areas. This would only become a absolute possibility if the Turkish state recognizes its crimes:

Last edited by Chubs; 04-11-2015, 07:50 PM.
    Armenian colony of Glendale will conquer all of California!

Re: Territorial Reparations: Is it possible?

Not going to happen.....plus the area to the black sea is one of the most ultra nationalist with strong hate for Armenians.
    All the Armenian orphan kids were put in Armenian church and gas them by thousands.

You want land/access from Turkey you have to take our land back with blood.
    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
      Not going to happen.....plus the area to the black sea is one of the most ultra nationalist with strong hate for Armenians.
      All the Armenian orphan kids were put in Armenian church and gas them by thousands.

You want land/access from Turkey you have to take our land back with blood.
      Thats idiotic, and I dont even know how you concluded that considering the fact that alot of the people who live there are Laz and Muslim Georgian. Turkish Azeris are concentrated in Kars, while Turks live near Ardahan.

Gonna need a source on that Church gassing Captain Eddo, because that sounds largely ridiculous considering the fact that it was in the deserts of Syria where they made makeshift gas chambers where Armenians were stuffed into caves and killed through setting brush fires near it. Ive never heard of Turks using toxic gas on Armenians stuffed in a Church in Russian controlled Ottoman Empire

This is a hypothetical situation Eddo, where Turkey does recognize the genocide. You have obviously spent hours fighting Turks on the internet, and are too clouded to think rationally about this. This thread is about the territory being given, and its implications on the Armenian state.

Lol, even implying the Armenian military can take on the Turkish Army is hilarious. Dont Eddo, enough of the internet warrior stuff...can you be serious about this?

If those people are that Ultra-Nationalist then they will leave to live in their Great Toorkey obviously. I dont want them to be forced out or to leave disgruntled, thats what its Erdogans job to pay them as they enter their new mansions in Istanbul.

The groups i doubt will leave are the Laz and Georgians, who are also indigenous. They would make great contributions to the Armenian nation and its culture Im sure.

I belive the main question about Armenian obligations is: Are Armenians willing to give up a road in Artsakh in order to develop the nation?
      Last edited by Chubs; 04-11-2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs View Post
        Thats idiotic, and I dont even know how you concluded that considering the fact that alot of the people who live there are Laz and Muslim Georgian. Turkish Azeris are concentrated in Kars, while Turks live near Ardahan.

Gonna need a source on that Church gassing Captain Eddo, because that sounds largely ridiculous considering the fact that it was in the deserts of Syria where they made makeshift gas chambers where Armenians were stuffed into caves and killed through setting brush fires near it. Ive never heard of Turks using toxic gas on Armenians stuffed in a Church in Russian controlled Ottoman Empire
        Whats idiotic is to think Turkey will do such thing.....might as well open the borders.
        City of Trabson. After all the adults were butchered they were left with all these Armenian kids. They put them all in the Armenian church and used gas. I think it didn't work so they burned the church. That area especially now is very ultrnationalist that you show on your map. You want a corridor? Never happen.

This is a hypothetical situation Eddo, where Turkey does recognize the genocide. You have obviously spent hours fighting Turks on the internet, and are too clouded to think rationally about this. This thread is about the territory being given, and its implications on the Armenian state.
        Turkey will never recognize the AG. btw, I don't fight them.....I expose them to other readers.

Lol, even implying the Armenian military can take on the Turkish Army is hilarious. Dont Eddo, enough of the internet warrior stuff...can you be serious about this?
        I never implied such a thing you dumdum......just saying that land is always taken and lost with blood.
        remember I always say....the road to Western Armenia is through the East.

If those people are that Ultra-Nationalist then they will leave to live in their Great Toorkey obviously. I dont want them to be forced out or to leave disgruntled, thats what its Erdogans job to pay them as they enter their new mansions in Istanbul.

The groups i doubt will leave are the Laz and Georgians, who are also indigenous. They would make great contributions to the Armenian nation and its culture Im sure.
        What? face palm

I belive the main question about Armenian obligations is: Are Armenians willing to give up a road in Artsakh in order to develop the nation?
        Give nothing to Turks.....what are you talking about a road in Artsakh and how connected with your topic.
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Whats idiotic is to think Turkey will do such thing.....might as well open the borders.
          City of Trabson. After all the adults were butchered they were left with all these Armenian kids. They put them all in the Armenian church and used gas. I think it didn't work so they burned the church. That area especially now is very ultrnationalist that you show on your map. You want a corridor? Never happen.

Turkey will never recognize the AG. btw, I don't fight them.....I expose them to other readers.

I never implied such a thing you dumdum......just saying that land is always taken and lost with blood.
          remember I always say....the road to Western Armenia is through the East.

What? face palm

Give nothing to Turks.....what are you talking about a road in Artsakh and how connected with your topic.
          Read the damn text, return some of the buffer zone, largely just one road, a ghost city, and a series of villages to the Azeris in return for Turks being appeased and agreeing to principles set forth in negotiations for territorial reparations. Some high up Turk official claimed Turkey would consider lifting the blockade in exchange for NKR releasing a territory to Azerbaijan. just one. This could possibly be incorporated into negotiations for territorial reparations in order to appease Turkey.

They put them all in the Armenian church and used gas.
          They burned the church down with kids inside, they didnt use gas. Thats very misleading.

What? face palm
          The claim that those people are ultra nationalist are just as credible as claiming all of Van is ultra nationalist because of what happened there. I dont think you are xenophobic Eddo, but whats wrong with having a Turkish minority? If they want to leave, the Turkish gov and Armenian gov would facilitate their relocation and assign a financial compensation/settlement for them. The ones who wish to stay will become citizens of Armenia. I am sure the vast majority of Turks and Azeris would choose relocation over living in Armenia due to their own xenophobic fears.

This is the ONLY logical territorial reparation. It will insure the development and survival of the country thanks to Black Sea access. Turks of course will never do it, because they will never recognize it. This is in the case they do, and are willing to negotiate. Its hypothetical Eddo.

the road to Western Armenia is through the East.
          Care to explain?

Eddo, our nation is doomed if something doesnt change. Something, anything really. We are stuck in a never ending war with Azerbajian, we have a declining population and an economy completely reliant on some empire that largely doesnt care if we were wiped off the face of the earth. Armenia needs to become, at least in some way, self-reliant. If this doesnt happen, I dont know if there will be an Armenia worth going back to in the next 20 or so years. These regions are largely impoverished, Ardahan has already faced large scale population decline to other parts of Turkey. Its not like Turkey would lose Van or Istanbul.
          Last edited by Chubs; 04-11-2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I want Mount ARARAT back oh well.

We never loose hope and never forget who we are dealing with.
            Armenia needs to retake its land to the east and fragment Azerbaijan at ethnic level. then years go by and Armenia keeps getting stronger and then can concentrate to deal with the real Turks.
            B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

I want Mount ARARAT back oh well.

We never loose hope and never forget who we are dealing with.
              Armenia needs to retake its land to the east and fragment Azerbaijan at ethnic level. then years go by and Armenia keeps getting stronger and then can concentrate to deal with the real Turks.
              Yes Eddo, that's actually the reasonable path.
              I'm done dealing with the capitalizing crap.
              A basic straight line in an purposeful steady pace. We are picking ourselves up from the ashes.
              We have to continue and strive to do better.
              There are a lot of negatives , but there are also many significant positives.
              We've come a long way from the ashes in terms of infrastructure and military capability/co-ordination as well as general govt function .
              We can't stop now. And we cannot capitulate to the status quoe that can't even recognize a blatant genocide consistently carried out by the most heinous tortures that the turc could figure out.
              A hundred years ago. ----- not to be confused with a long , long, time ago.
              Only hundred years ago.
              We cannot forget who we are dealing with. Look at erdotwits speeches concerning Hayastan . They aren't going to change.
              Eddo's right, when opportune is right, we are going to have to thump them.
              ----- PERIOD ----

From the ashes comes a hammer.
              The hammer is carried by those who don't forget.
              One does not agree with a liar.

Comment

armenian genocide reparations study group excerpt:

Determining The Territory To be Returned and its Post-Reparation Status

As previously discussed, there are three primary factors in determining specifically which land should
                be transferred to armenians as restitution for land lost through the armenian genocide, including its
                second phase. First, large amounts of land privately held by armenians in a lawful manner in the ottoman
                empire were expropriated through the armenian genocide. Second, the traditional armenian homeland,
                referred to as the “six armenian vilayets (provinces)” (erzerum, van, bitlis, diyarbekir, mamuret-ulaziz,
                and kharpert/harput391) or “western armenia,” in addition to the region of cilicia in the center
                of southern asia minor, were emptied of armenians by deliberate government policies including the
                391 see rouben paul adalian, historical dictionary of armenia, 2nd ed., “historical dictionaries” book series (lanham, md, usa:
                Scarecrow press, 2010),

genocide. While these lands were under ottoman governance (having been conquered centuries before
                the genocide), the clear attempt to “de-armenianize” them is grounds for an armenian right to this land
                as compensation. Third, a portion of these lands was given to the 1918 armenian republic through a
                legally binding arbitration process, in recognition of the armenian historic right to the lands, armenian
                habitation of the lands, and the need for armenians to have independence from turkish rule that had just
                subjected them to genocide and clearly could never be a legitimate authority over armenians again. The
                armenian republic was prevented from actual possession of some of this land, and lost the remainder
                through direct military invasion and conquest by turkish nationalist forces.
                These three points correspond to three possible ways of determining the land that should be returned
                to armenians: (1) land could be returned to the heirs of individual owners of property, (2) specific areas
                of pre-genocide armenian population concentrations could be determined and returned, or (3) the lands
                determined by the wilsonian arbitration award process could be given.
                There are three problems with the first approach. (a) it would require detailed documentation or
                historical accounts fixing the specific lands held by hundreds of thousands of armenian families. (b) it
                would not provide a basis for group reparations, as the lands in question were typically interspersed with
                land occupied by other groups. While armenians might have been a majority, the emphasis on individual
                title as the basis of entitlement to reparations would prevent any group reparative process involving
                territory, and thus limit greatly the reparative effects of land return. (c) this approach would ignore the
                wilsonian arbitral award as well as the actual possession of territory by the 1918 armenian republic and
                the violent seizure of much of this land by turkish forces. For this approach to be properly reparative
                and not subject to these objections would require a way of consolidating territory into one unit. This
                could be accomplished by determining by actual documentation and by extrapolation the approximate
                amount of territory held privately by armenians before the genocide and designating a territory of
                the same size contiguous to the present armenian republic as the land to be given as compensation for
                the land expropriated through the genocide. In this way, land return would not be direct repair, but
                compensation. Determination of the specific lands to be given would have to take account of historical
                issues—the cultural importance of certain areas to armenians—as well as present-day needs, such as the
                need for access to the sea.
                Last edited by Chubs; 04-12-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Armenian Reparations Study Group

Determining the Territory to be Returned and and its Post-Reparations status

The second approach would not be subject to the above concerns, but the problem of pre-Genocide
                  population interspersion would still need to be taken into account. The most appropriate way to do this
                  would be to use pre-Genocide population figures to determine what portion of historically Armenian
                  lands were Armenian-occupied at the time of the Genocide, and based on this to determine what portion
                  of the six Armenian provinces and Cilicia should be returned to Armenians. Depending on the actual
                  pre-Genocide demographics determined by careful study, the implementation of this approach might
                  depend on offsetting pre-Genocide Armenian population centers further from the present-day Republic
                  with non-Armenian-majority areas closer.
                  The third approach would simply apply the Wilsonian Arbitral Award after a nine-decade suspension.
                  This approach has a distinct advantage over the other two approaches: the lands to be given to Armenians
                  were determined through a painstaking process (see Subsection 5.3.1) that took into account a range of
                  factors related to the need for an appropriate territory to ensure the future viability of the Armenian
                  people. The territory designated for Armenians, in fact, was intentionally designed to support the goals
                  of repair. Further, this approach is based on a post-Genocide analysis of what land should be given to Armenians, rather than relying on pre-Genocide or historical habitation. Because the land calculation
                  done for the Wilsonian Arbitral Award concerned what was needed for the viability of an Armenian
                  state and the reconstitution of Armenian identity, it can be argued that it remains valid on these grounds
                  today. It should also be noted that the awarded territory is significantly smaller than the six provinces
                  and Cilicia, and so represents a compromise claim.
                  While the Wilsonian Arbitral Award is a very good solution to the problem of determining lands
                  to be given in reparation, one objection that use of it—or either of the other two possibilities just
                  presented—might face is that reliance on a long-past determination of territory to be returned does not
                  take account of the current demographic realities of Armenians. If Armenians are granted extensive
                  land reparations, will they be able to inhabit the lands at anywhere near the population density of the
                  present-day population? The population of Turkey relative to the global number of Armenians is so
                  disparate, with Turks greatly outnumbering Armenians much more than prior to the Genocide, that
                  large-scale land reparations will possibly displace a substantial number of Turkish citizens and leave the
                  lands to be inhabited by a smaller number of Armenians. This objection can be addressed in a way that
                  follows the Subsection 6.2.4 requirement that consideration of present residents does not in itself negate
                  reparations claims.392
                  In deciding (1) which of these approaches best serves reparative justice by taking account of past
                  harms and present realities in a properly balanced way and (2) the actual territory to be returned,
                  one issue that needs to be considered in a more complex manner than typical in the general and
                  Armenian-specific literature on reparations is how post-genocide population densities should be taken
                  into account in determining the size of the territory to be returned. The temptation when considering
                  present population figures is to use a straight proportion of the populations to determine the correct
                  proportion of claimed territory to be given to Armenians, compared to that retained by Turkey. If
                  the present population of Turkish citizens on the land in question is, for instance, four times the
                  number of Armenians who would occupy the land if it were given to the Armenian Republic, then
                  proportional fairness would dictate that only one-fifth of the land in question should be returned to
                  Armenians, to achieve a balanced population density. It would be possible to vary this approach by
                  using the population of the Turkish Republic, approximately 70 million, and the worldwide population
                  of Armenians, an estimated 8 million, for a similar calculation, though this would include many people
                  on both sides who would not inhabit the land.
                  The problem with this kind of proportional approach is that the population figures in question are the
                  result of (1) the demographic destruction of Armenians through the Genocide, (2) the assimilation of many
                  Armenians to Turkish identity through the Genocide, and (3) nearly a century of Turkish population
                  growth within secure borders, as opposed to a difficult post-Genocide situation for many Armenians
                  that affected population growth. Thus, what appears to be a fair use of proportions today in fact rewards
                  the perpetrator group for genocide. The demographic effect of genocide on land reparations must be
                  balanced for—that is, the proportion used to determine how much territory contemporary Armenians
                  are to receive as reparations should not be based on simple population figures, but must be adjusted for
                  the effects of the Genocide. One way to do this would be to use demographic projections, such as the 20
                  million figure for the present-day Armenian population cited in Subsection 6.2.2 (though even this did
                  not adjust for population losses in the first phase of the Genocide), with an adjustment of the Turkish
                  population regarding Armenians forcibly assimilated and their progeny and other appropriate factors.

Comment

Armenian Reparations Study Group

Determining the Territory to be Returned and and its Post-Reparations status

There are two potential objections to this approach, however. First, the majority of Armenians globally
                    are not represented by the current Armenian Republic, nor do they have any role in its policies or decisions.
                    Second, the significant corruption reported in the Armenian Republic393 raises strong concerns about any
                    state process of reparations distribution. Achieving the goals of reparations—viability and reconstitution—
                    might not be possible with a simple transfer of land to the present Republic. (2) Another option is the
                    creation of a second independent Armenian state comprising the territory given in reparations. This leads to
                    obvious problems, however. A political split does not support viability and reconstitution as well as a single
                    state. Many Armenians in the Republic trace their heritages to the Genocide, but will be excluded from
                    the returned territory unless they choose to leave the Republic. The political split will artificially divide
                    Armenians in a manner inconsistent with prevailing sentiments, while inclusion in a single state would
                    provide returning Armenians formal representation within the existing Republic’s governmental structures.
                    Finally, a law can be passed forbidding the Armenian government from explicitly or surreptitiously selling
                    or ceding away land to individuals or entities within or outside its borders.
                    (3) Another alternative is to develop a new governmental structure for the combined territory of
                    the Armenian Republic and reparation lands. A federated structure could preserve a measure of local
                    independence while also guaranteeing a proportional or half share of power to Armenians taking up
                    residence on the returned land.
                    The second and third way of determining land to be given as reparations (above: return of lands that
                    had high Armenian population figures prior to the Genocide and restoration of the Wilsonian Arbitral
                    Award territory) also require decisions about land distribution to individuals once a political transfer
                    takes place. In some cases, land will be returned to the heirs of those who lost it in the Genocide but who
                    retained documentation or other evidence establishing prior ownership without a reasonable doubt, such
                    that these options subsume the first approach of exclusively individual land return, except that land given
                    to individuals will be part of the Armenian state rather than the Turkish. As for land that is not claimed
                    by individuals, a significant portion should be retained for national use for the benefit of the Armenian
                    people generally, and the remaining land should be distributed among Armenians tracing their lineage
                    through the Genocide (or, for simplicity sake, all Armenians globally), in an equitable manner. In general,
                    though adjusted for the complexities of family size today relative to prior to the Genocide, Armenians
                    who can document or otherwise corroborate title to specific property in areas of Turkey outside the
                    transferred land should be awarded comparable property within the transferred territory, and others will
                    receive an equitable share of unclaimed property. If this results in too great a disparity in land amounts
                    awarded in favor of those with specific claims or those with unspecific claims, then the claim awards
                    should be adjusted to make them more equitable or fully equitable. The family size adjustment will
                    take account of how many family members there were prior to the Genocide as well as how many there
                    are today, to balance the competing principles that the size of reparation awards should depend on the
                    number of family members alive prior to the Genocide (with the award to be divided among living family
                    members today) and the principle that reparations for the Genocide are due equally to all Armenians
                    (excepting survivors, who should have special status in the process) as they were equally impacted by the
                    Genocide. All these considerations would be adjusted based on need.
                    In each of these approaches, a means of providing an avenue of representation for Armenians with
                    property in the reparations zone but who reside outside of Armenia and Turkey is crucial.

Comment

Working...
                    X