Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Bird Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe's bird flu risk easing but not over

Friday, May 5, 2006

Conservation groups say the international trade in poultry is more to blame for spreading the virus that has killed more than 100 people, mostly in Asia

DAVID EVANS

PARIS - Reuters

The risk from migratory birds carrying the H5N1 virus from Africa to Europe may be easing but countries looking to relax measures protecting their poultry still need to be on guard, experts said.

The spring migration involving millions of birds from Africa to the northern hemisphere has been underway for weeks, and yet so far there has been no recorded case of the Asian bird flu strain in Europe linked to wildfowl from the continent.

Conservation groups say the international trade in poultry is more to blame for spreading the virus that has killed more than 100 people, mostly in Asia.

But animal health experts still believe migration is key, saying one reason H5N1 has not spread from Africa may be that it has largely been confined to poultry farms in the six African countries to confirm cases.

"We know that in Africa there may be few wild infected birds, but a few wild infected birds can be enough to get an outbreak," Christianne Bruschke, head of the bird flu task force at the World Animal Health Organization (OIE), told Reuters.

"We haven't seen outbreaks in Europe or the United States, which is very good, but it doesn't mean it's impossible for an infected bird to fly from Africa to Europe or North America."

The African migration season lasts until the end of May, but already some European countries have begun easing bans on keeping their domestic poultry flocks outside.

Major poultry exporter the Netherlands said it believed the migratory risk had now passed.

The bird flu cases found so far in Europe have been linked to infected swans and other wildfowl displaced by extreme cold weather around the Black Sea earlier this year.

A government spokesman in France, which has recorded more than 60 wild bird cases, said none had come from Africa.

One country that has had no bird flu is Spain, despite fears that migrating birds would bring the virus north from Africa.

Juan Jose Badiola, head of the Spanish Veterinary Association, said aquatic birds that return to Spain from Africa in the spring tended to winter on the West African coast between Mauritania and Senegal, where there have been no cases.

"The risk for Spain now is less than it was two months ago, but it's too early to lower our guard," he said. "This is a highly contagious disease and it's moving west within Africa."

Trade or migration:Conservation groups such as Birdlife International say the pattern of the spread of the virus suggests migration is not to blame in many cases, including those in Africa.

"Recent outbreaks in Cameroon, Egypt, India, Israel, Jordan, Niger, Nigeria and Pakistan originated within the poultry industry," Birdlife said in a statement.

"The timing and location of these outbreaks do not match the movements of migratory birds." The groups acknowledge certain wildfowl species can carry the virus but say the birds die after flying relatively short distances. Only by transmitting the disease to other birds can the virus be passed long distances.

And at a conference organised by the Lancet medical journal this week in Singapore, a top flu expert also warned the scientific community against blaming migratory birds.

"We forget that there is an enormous commercial industry with the movement of animals all the time. That, to me, is the most obvious thing to look for," said Kennedy Shortridge, who spent three decades studying influenza viruses.

"Lots of people don't realise that there's movement of poultry from one country to another, even to Nigeria, where we've got bird flu. People are transporting all sorts of poultry meat," he said.

The OIE says more research is needed into which species are more susceptible to the virus and how long birds can fly with it. However, it still believes migration is a major factor.

"My firm belief is that the migration of birds carries the virus over big distances," Bruschke said.

"And within regions it is spread more by (trade) movements of birds, which could be legal or illegal," she added.

Comment

Originally posted by RUDO

Friday, May 5, 2006

Conservation groups say the international trade in poultry is more to blame for spreading the virus that has killed more than 100 people, mostly in Asia

DAVID EVANS

PARIS - Reuters

The risk from migratory birds carrying the H5N1 virus from Africa to Europe may be easing but countries looking to relax measures protecting their poultry still need to be on guard, experts said.

The spring migration involving millions of birds from Africa to the northern hemisphere has been underway for weeks, and yet so far there has been no recorded case of the Asian bird flu strain in Europe linked to wildfowl from the continent.

Conservation groups say the international trade in poultry is more to blame for spreading the virus that has killed more than 100 people, mostly in Asia.

But animal health experts still believe migration is key, saying one reason H5N1 has not spread from Africa may be that it has largely been confined to poultry farms in the six African countries to confirm cases.

"We know that in Africa there may be few wild infected birds, but a few wild infected birds can be enough to get an outbreak," Christianne Bruschke, head of the bird flu task force at the World Animal Health Organization (OIE), told Reuters.

"We haven't seen outbreaks in Europe or the United States, which is very good, but it doesn't mean it's impossible for an infected bird to fly from Africa to Europe or North America."

The African migration season lasts until the end of May, but already some European countries have begun easing bans on keeping their domestic poultry flocks outside.

Major poultry exporter the Netherlands said it believed the migratory risk had now passed.

The bird flu cases found so far in Europe have been linked to infected swans and other wildfowl displaced by extreme cold weather around the Black Sea earlier this year.

A government spokesman in France, which has recorded more than 60 wild bird cases, said none had come from Africa.

One country that has had no bird flu is Spain, despite fears that migrating birds would bring the virus north from Africa.

Juan Jose Badiola, head of the Spanish Veterinary Association, said aquatic birds that return to Spain from Africa in the spring tended to winter on the West African coast between Mauritania and Senegal, where there have been no cases.

"The risk for Spain now is less than it was two months ago, but it's too early to lower our guard," he said. "This is a highly contagious disease and it's moving west within Africa."

Trade or migration:Conservation groups such as Birdlife International say the pattern of the spread of the virus suggests migration is not to blame in many cases, including those in Africa.

"Recent outbreaks in Cameroon, Egypt, India, Israel, Jordan, Niger, Nigeria and Pakistan originated within the poultry industry," Birdlife said in a statement.

"The timing and location of these outbreaks do not match the movements of migratory birds." The groups acknowledge certain wildfowl species can carry the virus but say the birds die after flying relatively short distances. Only by transmitting the disease to other birds can the virus be passed long distances.

And at a conference organised by the Lancet medical journal this week in Singapore, a top flu expert also warned the scientific community against blaming migratory birds.

"We forget that there is an enormous commercial industry with the movement of animals all the time. That, to me, is the most obvious thing to look for," said Kennedy Shortridge, who spent three decades studying influenza viruses.

"Lots of people don't realise that there's movement of poultry from one country to another, even to Nigeria, where we've got bird flu. People are transporting all sorts of poultry meat," he said.

The OIE says more research is needed into which species are more susceptible to the virus and how long birds can fly with it. However, it still believes migration is a major factor.

"My firm belief is that the migration of birds carries the virus over big distances," Bruschke said.

"And within regions it is spread more by (trade) movements of birds, which could be legal or illegal," she added.
      It must have been 2000 or 2001, and my cousin went to Guangzhu province in China her German colleauges. There, in remote villages, she noticed that the villagers were playing drums using forks, knives, and all other possible tools to create noise. When they inquired about this weird activity, they were told that the Chinese government instructed them to do so! They were told that the migrating birds were carrying strange diseases, and they had to keep making these noises in order to prevent these birds from resting in their village.

Upon hearing this her first reaction was 'bunlar kafayi siyirmislar' / 'they have lost their minds', but now, in retrospect, I think they might have a point

BTW, this also happens to be my nickname, Vogelgrippe meaning bird flu in German.

Comment

Originally posted by Vogelgrippe
        BTW, this also happens to be my nickname, Vogelgrippe meaning bird flu in German.
        that is very educational, happy you are sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by DHolyGhost
          If you meant it sarcastically, try reading my entire post instead of quoting & picking at my last sentence. And watch out for China!

If you meant it seriously, sorry for my misunderstanding. Happy to make you happy

Comment

Originally posted by DHolyGhost
            First adjust your web cam.So we can see your face clearly.

But hmmmm I am afraid of what I am going to see if you adjust your cam.

Comment

Age of Cybertech!

Originally posted by RUDO
              First adjust your web cam.So we can see your face clearly.

But hmmmm I am afraid of what I am going to see if you adjust your cam.
              'Adama webcam'ini ayarla derken once neden bahsettigini anlamadim. Anlayinca yikildim gulmekten

(First, I did not realize what you meant by 'adjust your web cam'. Then, when I figured out, I cracked up from laughter)

Comment

Originally posted by Vogelgrippe
                'Adama webcam'ini ayarla derken once neden bahsettigini anlamadim. Anlayinca yikildim gulmekten

(First, I did not realize what you meant by 'adjust your web cam'. Then, when I figured out, I cracked up from laughter)
                While writing that post,I also cracked up from laughter.

I am happy to make you laugh.

Comment

Human Bird Flu Appears in Djibouti, First in Horn of Africa

Ten nations now have spotted human cases of avian influenza

Domestic fowl is examined for evidence of avian flu infection, Nigeria. (©AP/WWP)

Washington -- Djibouti is the latest country to report the appearance of highly pathogenic avian influenza in humans, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), with a May 12 account of illness in a 2-year-old girl.

The child’s symptoms first appeared April 23, and the presence of the dangerous H5N1 bird flu virus has been confirmed now by the U.S. Naval Medical Research Unit 3 (NAMRU-3), a Cairo-based facility that is a key confirming laboratory in the region. (See related article.)

The girl is in stable condition with persistent symptoms, according to WHO. Her disease is the first human case reported in the Horn of Africa. Djibouti becomes the 10th nation to report a human case of the disease that originated in animals in Southeast Asia and has spread through South and Central Asia, Europe and Africa over the last year.

Indonesia reported its first human case of H5N1 infection in 2005, and has now reported a total of 33 human cases with 25 deaths. That is the second largest number of cases in a single nation among the 10 reporting, exceeded only by Vietnam.

The latest Indonesian case was confirmed by the Ministry of Health May 8. A 30-year-old man from Greater Jakarta developed symptoms April 17 and died on April 26.

International health officials warn that H5N1 has the potential to spark pandemic influenza if it becomes contagious among humans. Virtually all the human cases so far have resulted from direct contact with birds carrying the virus.

ANIMAL INFECTIONS OF H5N1

The World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) confirmed the presence of H5N1 in animals in Cote d’Ivoire for the first time May 11. Its weekly accounting of animal disease reported two outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza in Abidjan district, occurring among free-ranging chickens and ducks.

The Ministry of Animal Production and Fish Resources reported that some control measures are already under way, and further steps are to be taken.

Also in that May 11 account, Sudan reported further outbreaks of disease in birds across a broad swath of the country, both north and south of Khartoum.

Turkish health officials detected no new suspected outbreaks in this weekly reporting period, and 12 previously reported outbreaks in nine provinces have been eradicated.

The total number of nations that have detected H5N1 in either wild or domestic birds now comes to 51. More than half those nations have found their first cases since the beginning of 2006.

For more information on avian influenza and efforts to combat it, see Bird Flu.
                  "All truth passes through three stages:
                  First, it is ridiculed;
                  Second, it is violently opposed; and
                  Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Two Bird Flu Cases Detected in Czech Republic

Two Bird Flu Cases Detected in Czech Republic
                    By Anadolu News Agency (AA), Prague
                    Published: Thursday, May 25, 2006
                    zaman.com

Two more cases of the deadly H5N1 bird flu virus have appeared in the Czech Republic, reporters said.

Ivan Prikryl, a veterinary institution agency official in the southwestern town of Brno in the Czech Republic, said the bird flu virus was detected in two swans that were found dead in the southwest of the country last week.

So far, 14 swans have been found infected with the H5N1 virus in the Czech Republic.

Comment

Bird Flu Transmits Between Humans

Bird Flu Transmits Between Humans
                      By Anka, Cakarta
                      Published: Sunday, June 25, 2006
                      zaman.com

The transmission of the bird flu virus between human beings has been confirmed in Indonesia, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

WHO officials said that an entire family that contracted the virus died; however, there was no possibility of an epidemic.

It was rumored that a woman became infected with the bird flu virus from a chicken and spread it to the rest of her household. The virus was then transmitted to the father from his son.

Because of this, the virus mutated twice.

The deadly H5N1 strain of the bird flu virus first emerged in Asia in 2003.

Since then it has claimed approximately 130 lives across the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X