Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

Ouch.

Comment

Red Dawn 5.5/10

Red Dawn, is actually ok so long as you're able to suspend your disbelief. You can't go in thinking "well this could never happen b/c of x,y, and z." Also the younger brother was kind of a douche.

Skyfall 8/10

No new ground was broken in this latest installment of the franchise, but overall it was still pretty decent

Comment

The Campaign
        Two powerful CEOs to control of a crucial North Carolina district in this comedy . On the eve of an upcoming election, Cam Brady (Ferrell) makes a misstep that threatens to end his career in politics. Recognizing the opportunity to gain influence Marty Huggins (Galifianakis) as Brady's political rival, quickly shaping him into a viable candidate with the help of a seasoned campaign manager. As Election Day draws near, Brady and Huggins cast ethics aside to engage there contemporary politics straight down the toilet.

Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Movies

The Hobbit 6.5/10- Didn't like the 48 frames per second format(fps), and recommend watching it in the traditional 24fps. The overall film isn't as good as the previous films in the franchise either, but I'm still waiting to see the next installment.

Les Miserables 8/10- I think most people would like this movie so long as they had some prior knowledge of the story. The plot is already fast paced b/c it's covering decades in 2.5 hours, and b/c this version is a musical, sometimes years are covered in one song, so if you don't know the story and you get up to go the bathroom or get some more pop corn you could get lost.

Super 8 7/10- Watched this film last night for the first time and liked it. I often heard that it was a copy cat of E.T. the Extraterrestrial, but found it different enough that I don't think it's a clone. The film has more to do with the boy and his father getting over the death of the mother/wife than the actual alien.

Television

American Horror Story 7.5/10 - the show is interesting b/c it's an anthology series, meaning that every season is a completely different episode, though many of the actors return in the second season playing different characters. It's mostly well written and acted, one of the main actresses received a golden globe for her performance in the show's first season.
          Last edited by ara87; 12-27-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

The Hobit-8.0 Yes it was not as good as the other movies but those were very good movies where as this one is only a good movie. It was too long and it was a setup movie but it was watchable and my wife and i both enjoyed it-especialy the scenes with golem. This movie had halflings(hobits) dwarves, orcs, trolls, ogres, elves..reminded me of E.Q..
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Fugitive at 17

When 2 high school students decide to go to a college party, there one of them meets a college man who spikes her drink & kills her. He takes the other friends spikes her drink & stuffs the drugs in her purse. Cops come to investigate & she's on the run.

3/5

Comment

Silver Linings Playbook

Basically Bradley Couper lost everything. The movie starts off when after spending time in jail he moves back in with his parents trying to reunite with his wife but falls for another woman. Too long of a movie & quite boring....
                2/5

Comment

Wow. Amazing how people can have such different reactions to the same movie. I thought this movie was a great insight into the lives of so many people struggling with emotional and other personal issues. Its not often that you can say Deniro's acting was overshadowed by his costars but both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper did a awsome job of acting - i would say this movie was the best acting performance for both of these stars up to date. A great take away from this movie is what you want the most in life may already be next to you but you have to open your heart to feel it. Yes the movie was a bit long so i give it 4.5/5

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
                  Silver Linings Playbook

Basically Bradley Couper lost everything. The movie starts off when after spending time in jail he moves back in with his parents trying to reunite with his wife but falls for another woman. Too long of a movie & quite boring....
                  2/5
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

I wrote this review for Silver Linings Playbook else, but since we finally have some activity in this thread, I'll post the review here as well.

I disagree with PepsiAddict in that the film was boring. This was a pretty entertaining film and quite refreshing for a conventional Hollywood film. I also somewhat disagree with Haykakan in that the film was a great insight into the lives of these types of people. I mean, the film does essentially use mental illness for entertainment. I also think this is the best I've seen Bradley Cooper. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was great as well, though her performance in Winter's Bone is probably my favorite thus far. I also didn't find the film long, but that's just me.

Silver Linings Playbook

I can't say I was looking forward to this film, considering I'm not a fan of David O. Russell's work. The Fighter was, in my opinion, one of the most overrated films of 2010 with aesthetic decisions that drove me nuts; pop music and excessive camera movements, which all reminded me of why Martin Scorsese is good and why those who copy him are just that, copycats.

In Silver Linings Playbook, David O. Russell doesn't necessarily hold back. The same aesthetic decisions are still there, though it's much more natural to its settings. The film follows Pat (Bradley Cooper) from his release from a mental institution. Pat's problem is that he's bipolar, but he'll also say anything that's on his mind. In the film, he admits that his mind has no filter, so whatever he's thinking - mostly inappropriate thoughts - come straight out of his mouth. Pat's desire is to reconnect with his wife, who has left him for obvious reasons, and along his path, he stumbles across Tiffany, a widower who has problems of her own.

Silver Linings Playbook, like The Fighter, explores family dynamics. Pat's parents, Pat Solitano, Sr. (Robert De Niro) and Dolores Solitano (Jacki Weaver), make attempts in helping their son, but they're too self-concerned. Pat's mother is passive whereas his father is OCD and is addicted to making meaningless bets.

The very conventional structure of the film along with its very predictable payoff - all the character intentions are obvious and it's even more obvious where the film is going - is made watchable by its snappy writing and the deliverance of one-liners by the cast. The film is definitely an ensemble piece, with a rare appearance by Chris Tucker, and much of the film simply works because these are talented actors.

It's great to see Robert De Niro in a good role again - he utters the word "fuck" in his opening line, as if it's a nod to the characters we loved seeing him play. Bradley Cooper plays against his usual image and is great with the ups and downs of his characters. These two are the standout performances of the film, with Jennifer Lawrence giving a good performance herself.

Comment

I thought it was very insightful the way the film showed how the mental illness of an individual effects his whole family. It was also insightfull in showing how blinded people can be by a single goal while missing out on life and all it has to offer. It took him forever to figure out that what he wanted was not really what he needed and that someone better was there with him all that time.
                      Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                      I wrote this review for Silver Linings Playbook else, but since we finally have some activity in this thread, I'll post the review here as well.

I disagree with PepsiAddict in that the film was boring. This was a pretty entertaining film and quite refreshing for a conventional Hollywood film. I also somewhat disagree with Haykakan in that the film was a great insight into the lives of these types of people. I mean, the film does essentially use mental illness for entertainment. I also think this is the best I've seen Bradley Cooper. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was great as well, though her performance in Winter's Bone is probably my favorite thus far. I also didn't find the film long, but that's just me.

Silver Linings Playbook

I can't say I was looking forward to this film, considering I'm not a fan of David O. Russell's work. The Fighter was, in my opinion, one of the most overrated films of 2010 with aesthetic decisions that drove me nuts; pop music and excessive camera movements, which all reminded me of why Martin Scorsese is good and why those who copy him are just that, copycats.

In Silver Linings Playbook, David O. Russell doesn't necessarily hold back. The same aesthetic decisions are still there, though it's much more natural to its settings. The film follows Pat (Bradley Cooper) from his release from a mental institution. Pat's problem is that he's bipolar, but he'll also say anything that's on his mind. In the film, he admits that his mind has no filter, so whatever he's thinking - mostly inappropriate thoughts - come straight out of his mouth. Pat's desire is to reconnect with his wife, who has left him for obvious reasons, and along his path, he stumbles across Tiffany, a widower who has problems of her own.

Silver Linings Playbook, like The Fighter, explores family dynamics. Pat's parents, Pat Solitano, Sr. (Robert De Niro) and Dolores Solitano (Jacki Weaver), make attempts in helping their son, but they're too self-concerned. Pat's mother is passive whereas his father is OCD and is addicted to making meaningless bets.

The very conventional structure of the film along with its very predictable payoff - all the character intentions are obvious and it's even more obvious where the film is going - is made watchable by its snappy writing and the deliverance of one-liners by the cast. The film is definitely an ensemble piece, with a rare appearance by Chris Tucker, and much of the film simply works because these are talented actors.

It's great to see Robert De Niro in a good role again - he utters the word "fuck" in his opening line, as if it's a nod to the characters we loved seeing him play. Bradley Cooper plays against his usual image and is great with the ups and downs of his characters. These two are the standout performances of the film, with Jennifer Lawrence giving a good performance herself.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X