Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Mercedes' $200,000 Gullwing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes' $200,000 Gullwing

Mercedes-Benz's new $200,000 supercar, the SLS AMG has two wings and, boy, does it fly

More Pics can be seen here:
    http://www.sub5zero.com/auto-news/20...-specs-details

Review by Jason H. Harper

(Bloomberg) — It's got two wings and, boy, does it fly.

I'm soaring up a steep hill in Mercedes-Benz's new $200,000 supercar, the SLS AMG. Nearing the top, I squeeze on the carbon-ceramic brakes, sweep right to left on the pebbly asphalt, then tuck the supersized beak down a coiling hill—the infamous blind corkscrew at California's Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

I spiral down, stomach dropping, grin spreading. Birds on the wing indeed.

Like fashion designers, car companies love to dip into their pasts for inspiration (or outright appropriation). Few models make such an obvious target as the startlingly beautiful 1950s 300 SL Gullwings. Lithe autos with rounded corners and signature doors hinged at the roof, good examples will go at auction for around $500,000.

No one was surprised to see a modern interpretation from Benz, though I wish they'd simply called it a Gullwing and been done with it.

Every supercar has its own niche. A Ferrari 430 Scuderia is meant for the track, a Bentley Continental GT for Malibu. With the SLS, you could swing into Thomas Keller's The French Laundry without a tinge of nouveau-riche embarrassment—valets will still swoon when the doors swing aloft. Yet the next morning might find you rocking around Laguna Seca at top speed. This is a supercar with class.

Design First
    Mercedes's last supercar was developed with the U.K.'s McLaren Automotive. This time they turned to their own in-house tuning arm, AMG. Based in Affalterbach, AMG modifies existing models to be lighter, faster, more powerful. This is the first time the division has designed a car from the ground up.

The coupe will be released this spring. Price, estimated to be under $200,000 before add-ons, is surprising. Cheap is an odd word to use here, but that sticker is commensurate with Mercedes's own SL65 AMG convertible and vastly less expensive than the SLR McLaren's $500,000 sticker.

With one foot in the past and another in the future, the SLS falls short of the simple beauty of its forbear. The Cyrano de Bergerac-worthy schnoz easily houses the engine, and the elongated proportions are emphasized by the vertical grill. The xxxxpit seems impossibly far back and side windows are small. An unmistakable profile, but the back end forms a V reminiscent of an Acura sedan—faint praise indeed.

The SLS looks best when both doors are open and pointing toward the sky, almost a victory V. Too bad you can't actually drive with it like that—it would play hell with aerodynamics at the 197 mph top speed.

007 Gadgetry
    A handle pops out of the door when you unlock it, a neat bit of 007 gadgetry. But be careful when exiting; I repeatedly knocked my head.

My test version was dark silver with a light tan interior and carbon-fiber accents. The inside is simple, with an all-business steering wheel that captures your thumbs for the correct driving position and a navigation screen situated front-and-center. Seats cradle and secure.

Power is ferocious. It's impossible not to hear the call of the autobahn when you fire up the 6.3-liter V-8. It's rough and rumbly but not brashly loud, emitting burbling pops and snarls as the transmission downshifts. The 563 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque will thrust to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds.

And oh that transmission! The seven-speed dual-clutch is a brilliant background player, intuiting your whims and needs like a psychic thing. Bring your foot off the gas and it knows whether you mean to coast through a curve or if you want to drop a gear in anticipation of unleashing extra torque. After 2 days on roads and track I wanted to buy it a Hefeweizen.

Gun Barrel
    The SLS drives like a big car. The xxxxpit is so far back that one sights down the long hood like a gun barrel, carefully aiming down narrow roads. Still, it's effortless enough to manage about town and the suspension compliantly soaks up bumps and divots.

Switch the driving mode to sport and that familiar, easy-riding Benz character mutates into a rowdy, hungry thing. And in sport plus, the corralled movements of the tires are really let loose, allowing for tail-wagging oversteer and rubber-screaming skids that unleash the car's true sporting capabilities.

I negotiate the last tricky corner at Laguna Seca, sliding just so, then kick up speed on the long front straight. This is no CEO coddler: It makes demands of the driver, allowing you to determine your own fate.

A point that becomes clear as I catch up to another SLS and watch as the pilot unwisely accelerates into a descending left-hand curve and promptly spins off the track, kicking up a whirlwind of dust. I use it as an opening to blast by.

Around town the SLS handles like a dove. Out here it's a bird of prey.

The 2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG at a Glance

Engine: 6.3-liter V-8 with 563 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque.
    Transmission: 7-speed double-clutch automatic.
    Speed: 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds.
    Gas mileage per gallon: 18.8 combined.
    Price as tested: $212,000 (estimated).
    Best features: The spectacular transmission and yes, those doors.
    Worst feature: The car looks best when the doors are open.
    Target buyer: A superstar looking for a supercar with class.

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...114_984037.htm
    Last edited by KanadaHye; 01-27-2010, 10:21 AM.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Re: Mercedes' $200,000 Gullwing

The 18.8MPG is pretty damn impressive I have to say with that engine.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Jay Leno has a video up of him driving a red one through Mulholland Dr, Laurel Cyn, and Beverly on his website. It sounds soooo nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Muhaha View Post
        Jay Leno has a video up of him driving a red one through Mulholland Dr, Laurel Cyn, and Beverly on his website. It sounds soooo nice.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the...treet-circuit/
        I worked on the fender and doors during the process stage. Didn't look like much when it was just a couple pieces of sheet metal. Looks better than I had imagined it would. When they were doing road tests, it looked like they were just using the skin off of a dodge viper.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
          I worked on the fender and doors during the process stage. Didn't look like much when it was just a couple pieces of sheet metal. Looks better than I had imagined it would. When they were doing road tests, it looked like they were just using the skin off of a dodge viper.
          Where do you work?

Comment

Where do you work?
            A company called Magna... it's an automotive parts supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
              A company called Magna... it's an automotive parts supplier.
              Oh, so you manufacture parts for Mercedes and other original companies or is it for after market tuners/modifiers?

Comment

Oh, so you manufacture parts for Mercedes and other original companies or is it for after market tuners/modifiers?
                The division I work for deals with automation and robotics, but Magna itself supplies parts for all the car manufacturers.

Magna manufactures auto parts that are primarily supplied to all major automakers including General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Chrysler LLC, Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai.

In Europe, Magna Steyr holds contracts for the assembly of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Voyager minivan and BMW X3 SUV.

Comment

Wow that's crazy, I would have never expected high end companies like Mercedes or BMW to outsource their work like that.

Comment

Wow that's crazy, I would have never expected high end companies like Mercedes or BMW to outsource their work like that.
                    That's pretty much how every company runs now, just push the work onto someone else.

Comment

Working...
                    X