Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Safe jacking and jackstand points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe jacking and jackstand points

I'm looking into different options on how to raise my car up for oil changes and such. Here are the options I'm concidering...

1. Rhino ramps are usually 8.5" high, which I don't think is enough. They're cheap and easy to use but I think the underside of the car is gonna be right in my face when I'm trying to work.

2. Jacking the car with a floorjack and putting jackstands underneath. This mehod will give me plenty of clearance but I have no clue where safe jacking points on my car are. The shop manual doesn't say anything other than how to use the sissor jack that comes standard with the car. Also where are the right points to put the jackstands?! I'm paranoid about punching a big whole right trough a floor board.

3. A big ramp that I can drive right over. The kind of ramps they use at dealerships to show the undersides of cars. I've been looking but I can't find something like that anywhere. Are they even sold to the public? If anyone knows where I can score one of those, that would be super.

If anyone has real world experience on this subject please share your exploits.

jack the car up, just look underneath for steel bars going across, and they are usually right on the outer edge of the underside. My car actually had hard plastic w/ a raised lip that you were supposed to put the jack under. I suggest you not listen to me anyway.

Comment

What kind of car do you have? I don't have to jack up the blazer as I can easily crawl around under it and with the jeep ... well, I can practically sit upright under there

But the answer is the factory recommended jack points ... where ever the manual says you should use for the scissor jack, you can use for another jack as well. Usually you can put the jack stand right next to it. Of course you NEVER want to rely on any jack to support the vehicle weight, especially if you are going to be under it.

However, it may be worth it to do the oil change at like jiffy lube or something since they now do it for so cheap, that it's pretty much worth it ... unless you really like to take care of your car yourself. Plus they'll lube your suspension and drive lines and check other fluids as well.
      Last edited by Sip; 03-28-2005, 06:03 PM.
      this post = teh win.

Comment

What Sip said. Usually behind the front wheels, or in front of the back wheels, there should be a contact point consisting of the frame itself. I usually use the ramps you drive up on myself when I have to work on anything under the cars. I love 'em. No time wasted jacking the car up, then planting it down on jack stands. Only issue is the front of my cars being so low, the front air dam/valance can fold a bit on the initial contact due to the slant of the ramps, but they form right back to shape once they pass that point. And once the wheels are planted in the little dip at the top of the ramp, the car's not going anywhere. I still put something behind whatever wheels are on the ground just to be on the safe side. You should be able to pick up a set of those at most any parts store. They won't look like the ones you find at the dealer. Just some simple ramps. More like these.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow
          What Sip said. Usually behind the front wheels, or in front of the back wheels, there should be a contact point consisting of the frame itself. I usually use the ramps you drive up on myself when I have to work on anything under the cars. I love 'em. No time wasted jacking the car up, then planting it down on jack stands. Only issue is the front of my cars being so low, the front air dam/valance can fold a bit on the initial contact due to the slant of the ramps, but they form right back to shape once they pass that point. And once the wheels are planted in the little dip at the top of the ramp, the car's not going anywhere. I still put something behind whatever wheels are on the ground just to be on the safe side. You should be able to pick up a set of those at most any parts store. They won't look like the ones you find at the dealer. Just some simple ramps. More like these.
          The link you have is what I referred to as "rhino ramps". My suspicion is that those will not give me enougn clearance to work comfortably, otherwise I'd go out and buy a set tomorrow. How much clearance do you get with those?

As far as what Sip said, jiffy lube does nothing but change oil and look for other things to charge me for around where I live. $39.99 is not worth it to me, since I put a lot of miles on my car and am getting oil changes frequently. I'd have more fun doing things myself than having some 18 year old telling me my anti freeze is dirty, as if I don't know.

As far as using the car manufacturer recomended jacking points, my car has a lip attached to the frame which is designed for a scissor jack. I tried using the floor jack on it and I almost crushed the lip, I'm never tryng that again. Besides, floorjacks are made to lift two wheels off the ground at a time, so the jacking point will have to be somewhere in the middle of the front and rear.

Comment

It would still help to know what kind of car you got
            this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
            X