Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!


2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.


- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.


8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Education Jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: Education Jobs

    Originally posted by One-Way View Post
    You know, I had a couple questions but I don't have the time to make threads like I used to and really delve into it. I'm three years away from getting my BA. I was just wondering about teaching high school, because I am mildly interested in teaching. I'm just thinking about the possbilities right now, but can I do so with a BA or do I need some extra teacher certificate?

    I'm looking to teach film/media classes, which is either the study of film (history) or production courses. So it's not your basic English degree, teaching English in high school. Do I need additional teaching classes or do I have to pass a test to be certified to teach? I'm wondering about both private/public schools in Los Angeles.

    Also, how does it pay? I haven't really looked into it yet -- as I said, I was just thinking about this as a possibility. I'm sure it differs with what you teach, how many degrees you have, years of experience, etc. How much would I expect to make, let's say coming straight of university -- USC, School of Cinematic Arts, with no real experience. I hear it's low but how low are we talking?
    I’m a former mathematics teacher, programmer and MBA. Now I’m a tutor of math, GRE, GMAT and computer operating courses. I’ve about 35 experience in it; in past I was doing it after work, sometimes free of charge, in order to gain experience, becoming familiar in the area in my neighborhood and being able to do it professionally: when I would be on pension. Now I’m doing it and it’s in fact a leisure time for me. In order to become a tutor one needs to be very interested in his/her major and must: conceive, think about, all possible questions the students might ask and being diligent enough to learn them in advance. If you are strong enough to take time and learn most of the possible questions the students may ask: you’ll become a great tutor.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by gegev; 11-09-2009, 07:06 AM.

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: Education Jobs

      Originally posted by One-Way View Post
      You know, I had a couple questions but I don't have the time to make threads like I used to and really delve into it. I'm three years away from getting my BA. I was just wondering about teaching high school, because I am mildly interested in teaching. I'm just thinking about the possbilities right now, but can I do so with a BA or do I need some extra teacher certificate?

      I'm looking to teach film/media classes, which is either the study of film (history) or production courses. So it's not your basic English degree, teaching English in high school. Do I need additional teaching classes or do I have to pass a test to be certified to teach? I'm wondering about both private/public schools in Los Angeles.

      Also, how does it pay? I haven't really looked into it yet -- as I said, I was just thinking about this as a possibility. I'm sure it differs with what you teach, how many degrees you have, years of experience, etc. How much would I expect to make, let's say coming straight of university -- USC, School of Cinematic Arts, with no real experience. I hear it's low but how low are we talking?
      I am pretty sure you need a degree in education if you wanna teach high school but i am not sure if different states have different rules.
      Hayastan or Bust.

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: Education Jobs

        Well the time of truth is at hand. I get my first evaluation done on friday. There is gona be a faculty member in my class to evaluate me and the students get to fill out their own evaluations of me. Kinda makes me nervous but this was my first time teaching a subject i havent touched in 20 years so i am not gona be too hard on myself yet.
        Hayastan or Bust.

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: Education Jobs

          Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
          I am pretty sure you need a degree in education if you wanna teach high school but i am not sure if different states have different rules.
          I don't think so. I think you need to pass a test, just so see if you're capable of teaching. I'm almost certain you don't need a separate degree in education, just a Bachelor of Arts in a related subject matter.

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: Education Jobs

            I am going to start a BA in philosophy and political science next year (as I really enjoy it), as I have tried business courses, religious studies and so forth and just been bored with it. Maybe one day I could visit Armenia and lecture (if I become good at it)...though I guess that would mean I would have to learn a little Armenian. But I am 20, so I have plenty of time left to get a BA and learn Armenian (and I am thinking also Chinese).

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: Education Jobs

              Teaching got way funner when i started teaching microeconomics a year ago. The students are much more capable then the ones i had in developmental math and the subject matter really frees me up and allowes me to use all kinds of resources. Here are some interesting videos i have used in class
              Romney vs Detroit http://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/...ailout_bonanza
              NDAA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ27t...feature=relmfu
              Fox news http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa1G3...eature=related
              Monopoly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU-ep...EBFCBE888C8E67
              Hayastan or Bust.

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: Education Jobs

                Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                Teaching got way funner when i started teaching microeconomics a year ago. The students are much more capable then the ones i had in developmental math and the subject matter ...
                Happens when all of those other students are filtered out by prerequisites. Developmental sequences are a nightmare. Where you teaching the developmental math at a junior college or a 4-year?
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: Education Jobs

                  Its a private college with campuses nationwide it offers both 4 year and 2 year degrees. They have a good online program too which i may look into teaching as well. Developmental math was very challanging to teach - i had a older guy who was either hi or drunk or both when he showed up. He failed everything but was always so happy. Economics allowes me to be much more creative in the classroom then i could be with math. I am hoping to teach other econ courses since i like this one.
                  Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                  Happens when all of those other students are filtered out by prerequisites. Developmental sequences are a nightmare. Where you teaching the developmental math at a junior college or a 4-year?
                  Hayastan or Bust.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: Education Jobs

                    Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                    Its a private college with campuses nationwide it offers both 4 year and 2 year degrees. They have a good online program too which i may look into teaching as well. Developmental math was very challanging to teach - i had a older guy who was either hi or drunk or both when he showed up. He failed everything but was always so happy. Economics allowes me to be much more creative in the classroom then i could be with math. I am hoping to teach other econ courses since i like this one.
                    Not one of these pay-for-degree type schools like International American University, University of Sedona, etc. I doubt they'd be offering microecon though.

                    Yeah, it's nice to be able to teach the higher-level stuff that we find more interesting.
                    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: Education Jobs

                      Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
                      I am going to start a BA in philosophy and political science next year (as I really enjoy it), as I have tried business courses, religious studies and so forth and just been bored with it. Maybe one day I could visit Armenia and lecture (if I become good at it)...though I guess that would mean I would have to learn a little Armenian. But I am 20, so I have plenty of time left to get a BA and learn Armenian (and I am thinking also Chinese).
                      I might be a bit biased, but university degrees in subjects such as Philosophy and Political Science are often worthless. Most of the time in such majors, you are...(jur es cecum eli)...it's very subjective and not really a defined science. In my view, much better to get a degree in a technical/scientific field. Such fields are more pure in terms of their theory and gives you a much more useful skill set. And why would you want to learn Armenian ? Unless, you're Armenian, there's no use in knowing it, especially living in New Zealand...
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---
                      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X