Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

People who live with motto; “I’m my own hero” can’t recognize somebody/something mightier/wiser themselves, until summoned by God.

And because they ”enjoy” many things, that are prohibited by Bible/religion as a sin, but are allowed in some states, as their “democratic rights”.

Can somebody believe in a religion that bans the things he/she is carrying out regularly?
    Last edited by gegev; 07-30-2011, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anbidan View Post
      Why do you ask when you’re not even interested to hear the answer?
      I am interested. That's why I asked. I think this would be the starting off point for a more interesting dialogue.

Originally posted by gegev View Post
      People who live with motto; “I’m my own hero” can’t recognize somebody/something mightier/wiser themselves, until summoned by God.

And because they ”enjoy” many things, that are prohibited by Bible/religion as a sin, but are allowed in some states, as their “democratic rights”.

Can somebody believe in a religion that bans the things he/she is carrying out regularly?
      There doesn't need to be tension between us; we are not adversaries. We have probably most other things in common except this one thing. We're more alike than we are different. I just happen not to believe in god. It's really not about being my own hero, not liking the content of the religion, or anything else. It's because I simply do not have evidence for it. There is not reason to believe.

Why do you believe? Why do you think there must be a God? What convinces you of his existence? I am being completely sincere and I hope that all of you believers answer this question... Why do you believe? And please think about it a bit and give a thoughtful open answer.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

The dialogue would be interesting yes, but only when we discuss matters by respecting each others’ beliefs, and not ridicule the other side just because we think we have read few more books than the others. Let’s not make it an IQ contest.

Not everyone can sense the spiritual world. It’s like a radio that can’t receive short waves or FM waves, sometimes a good antenna would help, sometimes nothing helps because that radio was not made to receive those waves. If you are happy to what your radio is receiving and not interested to receive deferent waves then it’s good for you, but don’t claim that there is nothing else there. No one can make the blind man see. We can only explain what the clouds, the rainbow, the sunrise or the sunset looks alike, it is up to him to believe it or to dismiss it saying “if I can’t see it or feel it, it does not exist”

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
        I am interested. That's why I asked. I think this would be the starting off point for a more interesting dialogue.
        Al-aaynnou-bil-aayn, wall-sinnou-bil-sinn, wa-al-badi azlamm !
        العين بالعين والسن بالسن، والبادي اظلم

Comment

The dialogue would be interesting yes, but only when we discuss matters by respecting each others’ beliefs, and not ridicule the other side just because we think we have read few more books than the others. Let’s not make it an IQ contest.

Not everyone can sense the spiritual world. It’s like a radio that can’t receive short waves or FM waves, sometimes a good antenna would help, sometimes nothing helps because that radio was not made to receive those waves. If you are happy to what your radio is receiving and not interested to receive deferent waves then it’s good for you, but don’t claim that there is nothing else there. No one can make the blind man see. We can only explain what the clouds, the rainbow, the sunrise or the sunset looks alike, it is up to him to believe it or to dismiss it saying “if I can’t see it or feel it, it does not exist”
          I am not trying to ridicule anyone. I wouldn't even say I'm trying to promote atheism! I am promoting skepticism and science education. If I help someone be a better critical thinker in all other aspects of their lives and they just never transfer that to religion and they maintain they religious belief, I would still consider this a success.
          I spoke about atheism because people have all sorts of misconceptions about atheists and atheism (e.g. that religion is the only source of morality, therefore atheists are immoral). Did you know American's say they'd be more willing to elect a muslim to office than an atheist?

Are you suggesting the only evidence comes from people's subjective experiences? Couldn't we still observe evidence for god among the receptive people then? What is it that makes some people receptive. Define receptive. We are not radios, so you need to explain how you think this would happen given human physiology.

I am not limiting evidence to that which I can see or feel. We can describe what clouds and rainbows look like, but we can measure what a cloud is in other ways (moisture?) and we understand how rainbows are "created" and we can create them.

You still have not shared why you believe. You've just basically said that some people can't understand and left it at that.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

You don't have to read books to realize the fundamentals of Creationism, GOD making humans in "His image", resurrection, and a lot of other "religious" constructs that people so vehemently want to cling on to as being "True" are absolute garbage. Holding dialogues and discussions are great when both sides have valid points to make. But when one side is comprised of complete idiots, sometimes the only choice you have is to just say it like it is.

I made a parallel earlier I believe in this thread about Genocide denialists coming here and wanting to have a "dialogue". There is no dialogue when one side is just completely wrong on their stance.

Now I am not saying atheists are right or wrong. Who am I to say there is or there is no God? There can be many good discussions around that. But I don't think atheists are wrong or out-of-line when they call the evolution-dismissing, Jesus-God equivocating, rapture-awaiting, premarital-sex-is-a-sin proclaiming, gay-bashing, we-receive-spiritual-wavelengths-from-God-that-you-don't "Christians", idiots.
            Last edited by Sip; 08-01-2011, 11:29 AM.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
              You don't have to read books to realize the fundamentals of Creationism, GOD making humans in "His image", resurrection, and a lot of other "religious" constructs that people so vehemently want to cling on to as being "True" are absolute garbage. Holding dialogues and discussions are great when both sides have valid points to make. But when one side is comprised of complete idiots, sometimes the only choice you have is to just say it like it is.

I made a parallel earlier I believe in this thread about Genocide denialists coming here and wanting to have a "dialogue". There is no dialogue when one side is just completely wrong on their stance.

Now I am not saying atheists are right or wrong. Who am I to say there is or there is no God? There can be many good discussions around that. But I don't think atheists are wrong or out-of-line when they call the evolution-dismissing, Jesus-God equivocating, rapture-awaiting, premarital-sex-is-a-sin proclaiming, gay-bashing, we-receive-spiritual-wavelengths-from-God-that-you-don't "Christians", idiots.
              I don't think people who are religious are stupid. There's a broad continuum of religiosity and belief though... And some believe things that are more "absurd" than others. For instance, on the more absurd side we have those who believe in the literal interpretation of the bible (e.g. virgin birth, young Earth, believing that bread and wine are literally (yes literally, as in not symbolically) the body and blood of Christ),etc.

I can coexist without issue generally if it was secular. I have a problem with religious influence on science, medicine, education, technology, law/judicial rulings, policy decisions, reproductive rights, individual rights, etc.

Comment

Just because someone is Christian you can call him an idiot, and just because you add a simile right after the insult it’s considered an interesting dialogue? And this is very well accepted by the unbiased atheist administrator who claims we can have an interesting dialogue. What bothers you in Christianity is that gays are not accepted and they don’t have orgies when they have ceremonies to worship their lord?

Al-aaynnou-bil-aayn, wall-sinnou-bil-sinn, wa-al-badi azlamm !
                العين بالعين والسن بالسن، والبادي اظلم

Comment

Just because someone is Christian you can call him an idiot, and just because you add a simile right after the insult it’s considered an interesting dialogue? And this is very well accepted by the unbiased atheist administrator who claims we can have an interesting dialogue. What bothers you in Christianity is that gays are not accepted and they don’t have orgies when they have ceremonies to worship their lord?
                  To be fair he said Creationists and described a specific type and if you stop selectively reading (talk about "unbiased") you'd see that I said...

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                  I don't think people who are religious are stupid.
                  Your response that he must be bothered by the bigotry (yeah, that's exactly what it is) towards the gays and lack of orgies (Channels Palin 'Because this what atheists do anytime more than a couple of them amass, dontcha know!') is at the very least the pot calling the kettle black. That's not approaching someone with a differing viewpoint fairly either. Besides, if you are truly were interested in discussing it, why did you ignore my invitation to do yet again? I didn't insult you, I took time to explain my perspective, and I was nice about.

-----------------

Aaaaand there it is... Yedtarts, you messed up. You have 8 posts and you called me the unbiased admin. That piqued my curiosity just enough to take a closer look at you. Oops! Bubye! I would have actually discussed this, but we have a zero tolerance policy toward banned users creating duplicate accounts.

My invitation to discuss respectfully is still open to non-banned members.

Comment

Siggie is right. I NEVER said someone is stupid just because he or she is Christian. I know some VERY smart Christians who try to live the way Jesus taught. Jesus had many many good things to say and I definitely think the world would be a very good place if more people followed in the footsteps of Jesus.

What I did say was this (as some examples of when I think it is ok to call someone an idiot):

If you believe in Creationism, then you are an idiot.
                    If you confuse God and Jesus in your head, you are an idiot.
                    If you are awaiting the rapture to meet up with Jesus and go up into the sky, you are an idiot.
                    If you think you will go to Hell for having had premarital sex, you are an idiot.
                    If you bash gays (kill them, hurt them physically, insult them, etc), you are an idiot (and you are certainly no Christian in my view).
                    If somehow God speaks to you on certain wavelengths that the rest of us don't hear, you are an idiot.

Hope this cleared it up. This are what I call "Christians" (in quotes). The true Christians in my mind are those that are tolerant of others, turn the other cheek, go out of their way to help their fellow man.

Like this guy in Norway that blew up a bunch of buildings and killed about 80 kids in the name of fighting Islam and wrote the 1500 page manifesto with the cross on the cover page ... that guy is an IDIOT. And we should all feel free to say it.
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Siggie is right. I NEVER said someone is stupid just because he or she is Christian. I know some VERY smart Christians who try to live the way Jesus taught. Jesus had many many good things to say and I definitely think the world would be a very good place if more people followed in the footsteps of Jesus.

What I did say was this (as some examples of when I think it is ok to call someone an idiot):

If you believe in Creationism, then you are an idiot.
                      If you confuse God and Jesus in your head, you are an idiot.
                      If you are awaiting the rapture to meet up with Jesus and go up into the sky, you are an idiot.
                      If you think you will go to Hell for having had premarital sex, you are an idiot.
                      If you bash gays (kill them, hurt them physically, insult them, etc), you are an idiot (and you are certainly no Christian in my view).
                      If somehow God speaks to you on certain wavelengths that the rest of us don't hear, you are an idiot.

Hope this cleared it up. This are what I call "Christians" (in quotes). The true Christians in my mind are those that are tolerant of others, turn the other cheek, go out of their way to help their fellow man.

Like this guy in Norway that blew up a bunch of buildings and killed about 80 kids in the name of fighting Islam and wrote the 1500 page manifesto with the cross on the cover page ... that guy is an IDIOT. And we should all feel free to say it.

So who died and made you King of what Christianity is and what it isn't and what people should or shouldn't believe? Seems to me, you're the one that's intolerant.
                      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                      X