Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    Sheesh Jeff! That's fascinating about the shift. I only recently heard about this shift, but that it's not clear what caused it. Thanks so much for explaining it so thoroughly. I'm going to chew on the information a bit.

Science monster! Oogabooga! I'm really quite intimidating and frightening... If I make it out to your neck of the woods (maybe picking up Anna on the way ), you'll have to see for yourself. If you're not too scared, that is. You never know, I may be executing a diabolical plan to sell you to a pharmaceutical company as a human guinea pig.

As for the other science stuff. I don't know... You're trying to point out the limitations in theory, but honestly, when I say I live by that standard, clearly I'm not saying I conduct an experiment for everything. What I mean is taking an evidence-based approach. Before I make up my mind about something or make a decision, etc. I want to be informed, and I seek evidence to inform the opinion, decision, etc. That's it. You can always seek evidence in this way.

There are sciences where they're not conducting experiments. They're making predictions (based on what is already established by prior research or you have to make a really strong case for it based on logic if it's not been addressed in the literature or it's not supported by it) and then seeking evidence, gathering observations, etc. and examining whether it negates their hypothesis. If the evidence is not inconsistent with the null hypothesis (we always seek to disprove our hypotheses) and it is consistent with the research hypothesis, then we confirm it.

In the case of things that are not observable, then they're really thought experiments, but you still apply logic. Given what we know about the world, is it plausible that this would be like this....
    Perhaps it would be more helpful to discuss it non-abstractly? Do you have something in mind that you think cannot be benefited from logic or an evidence-based approach?

-------------------------------------

Eek... And Jeff?
    Happy birthday!!! :-)

Thanks Siggie You know... regarding the debate, I think whenever something feels like it makes sense in our heads, we feel a rewarding, relaxing satisfaction, a brain tickle. I think that's why humanity has been drawn towards science and logical deduction, and I agree, I think you can apply it to anything. Even if you don't have evidence, you can go about a subject in a way that demands evidence before jumping in the boat of belief.

It would be cool to see you in Montreal someday

Comment

why the censorship?
      it is not up to one person to decide was is valuable or not to the community.
      the degree of intolerance on this board is appalling.
      this short film is relevant to the discussion at hand (far more relevant in fact than any argument could be)

Comment

Originally posted by gkv View Post
        why the censorship?
        it is not up to one person to decide was is valuable or not to the community.
        the degree of intolerance on this board is appalling.
        this short film is relevant to the discussion at hand (far more relevant in fact than any argument could be)
        Don't you think saying "none of your arguments are relevant" is also an example of intolerance?

Your "short" film is a pile of propagandistic garbage btw, nor is it "short". We can be thankful that fads amongst film critics are like teenage crushes - over within 6 months and quickly forgotten. Films of South-American "magic realism", anything at all from Australia, Polish Catholic angst in 3, 6, or 10 parts, Spanish fantasies with tits and fascists, Iranian small-scale trivialities of life, all pronounced to be deeply-meaningful works of genius that will change film making forever, then within a year gone and forgotten (and never watched by anyone). What will their next big thing be? Who the hell cares?
        Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-13-2011, 01:57 PM.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          Don't you think saying "none of your arguments are relevant" is also an example of intolerance?

Your "short" film is a pile of propagandistic garbage btw, nor is it "short".
          there was no “your“. You misread my words and got a wrong understanding as a result.
          A film under an hour is short imho. that you would refer to this as garbage is quite sad.

Comment

let people see for themselves outside of your strict & narrow mental categories

Comment

A film under an hour is short imho. that you would refer to this as garbage is quite sad.
              A short film is 15 or 20 minutes long at the most. And there are ten of those things, at 50 or so minutes each!

I have better things to do than watch 8 hours of manipulative, clawing, Polish Catholic angst. Or watch obscenities like seeing milk being added to tea that is in a glass cup.
              Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-13-2011, 01:39 PM.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

let people see for themselves outside of your strict & narrow mental categories
                The most succinct review of the first "short" film I could find:
                God as a Mafia Boss I watched the first episode and couldn't believe my eyes. How could anybody, Catholic or atheist take this story seriously? I was watching it and praying: Please, Kieslowski, don't trivialize the matter!

Here's the plot: A nice intelligent guy raises a gifted and sensitive son alone. They relationship if filled with love. But the hero has one flaw, he's an agnostic, even though he was brought up in a Catholic family. What's worse, instead of trusting God, he happens to trust science--in particular his computer. God has no choice but to teach him a lesson. And what could best drive God's point if not killing the person the hero loves most--his son?

Having grown up in Catholic Poland, I can attest that this is how most people there understand religion. The loving God, who--like a Mafia boss--kisses you before stabbing your heart. This is the kind of God who doesn't stay Abraham's hand.

There is no subtlety in Kieslowski's story. No questioning of faith. The commandments are rigid rules--you break them, you pay. And the competing god--the technology--is viewed in a superstitious, parochial, way.

I'm glad Kieslowski didn't present his views on the intelligent design vs. Darwinism.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I posted only one episode for there was only one to watch which is the only one i know
                  You live with prejudice and are looking with similar minded people to comfort yourself in your prejudices. Allow other people to live otherwise.
                  You have used the word garbage to qualfy sthg you haven't even seen. I could return the compliment you made to sip in another thread just a few minutes before posting in this one

Comment

There is no propaganda in this film btw not even a message. it is open-ended.

Comment

There is no propaganda in this film btw not even a message. it is open-ended.
                      Are you saying that the following does not sum up the plot?

Here's the plot: A nice intelligent guy raises a gifted and sensitive son alone. Their relationship is filled with love. But the hero has one flaw, he's an agnostic, even though he was brought up in a Catholic family. What's worse, instead of trusting God, he happens to trust science--in particular his computer. God has no choice but to teach him a lesson. And what could best drive God's point if not killing the person the hero loves most--his son?
                      Or are you saying that a plot like that should not be classed as propaganda?
                      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-14-2011, 08:00 AM.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X