Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    Was the conversion to Christianity peaceful and of the peoples' free will? Oh wait... the Christian church didn't preserve that part of our history. I wonder why...?
    Our Christian faith has always been integral to the Armenian nation. It helped preserve our culture, literature, and other academics. It served as protector and centre point of Armenian identity. During Ottoman Ampire, converting to Islam was the equivalent to becoming a Turk. That's how people were turkified. There people chose to Turkify rather than stand up and protect their heritage and nation. They are cowards.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      Crypto just means that you're secretly Armenian. It's like being an Armenian secret agent. At any time they can turn against whatever organization/group they've joined and work for Armenian interests once they make the right connections. There are probably some among Turks and Kurds.
      This is at least better than Mos's interpretation of the word. Not nearly as offensive, but you're still implying he's not working toward any Armenian interests now. That's awfully presumptuous; you know practically nothing about the guy except that he is critical of religion. I think we can only assume that you've concluded as much based entirely on prejudice regarding the non-religious.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

My interpretation is basically the Turks, who are aware of their Armenian roots and don't want to forget those roots. However, we must realise historically who these people are. I'm not going to all of a sudden embrace some traitors that have lived comfortably among Turks, as Turks, for decades. You just can't be so naive.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          This is at least better than Mos's interpretation of the word. Not nearly as offensive, but you're still implying he's not working toward any Armenian interests now. That's awfully presumptuous; you know practically nothing about the guy except that he is critical of religion. I think we can only assume that you've concluded as much based entirely on prejudice regarding the non-religious.
          You should know by now that I'm prejudice. I picked up a lot about him just from his choice of nickname
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            You should know by now that I'm prejudice. I picked up a lot about him just from his choice of nickname
            Not sure if you're joking. Samael is a mythological character, so I don't see how it can possibly say anything about me other than I'm into mythology.

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
              Our Christian faith has always been integral to the Armenian nation. It helped preserve our culture, literature, and other academics. It served as protector and centre point of Armenian identity. During Ottoman Ampire, converting to Islam was the equivalent to becoming a Turk. That's how people were turkified. There people chose to Turkify rather than stand up and protect their heritage and nation. They are cowards.
              I keep hearing how Christianity helped "preserve our culture" etc etc yet everyone saying that seems to be living in this imaginary world that somehow Armenians were "lost" before Christianity with no hope of "survival" and somehow this amazing blessing saves us from sheer destruction. When in reality, Christianity helped us lose our true identity and turn into this orthodox blobish sect of the Christian cult that was starting to spread around the world. I usually have a hard time understanding what part of Christianity came from Armenians.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                I keep hearing how Christianity helped "preserve our culture" etc etc yet everyone saying that seems to be living in this imaginary world that somehow Armenians were "lost" before Christianity with no hope of "survival" and somehow this amazing blessing saves us from sheer destruction. When in reality, Christianity helped us lose our true identity and turn into this orthodox blobish sect of the Christian cult that was starting to spread around the world. I usually have a hard time understanding what part of Christianity came from Armenians.
                It did very much preserve our identity by the fact that Armenians were able to distinguish themselves from the Persians and Turks through it, and fought to maintain that difference and identity. I am not saying that that would not have been possible without Christianity, but it would have been more difficult. Even today in the diaspora, the church is a unification point for Armenians.

Comment

Just a question regarding Armenians in Turkey. Not Islamified Armenians of the Genocide or the Hamshentsiner, but regular Christian Armenians. Why do they continue to live in Turkey and why are such a large portion of them so comfortable with assimilation. On wikipedia it says that most of Armenians in Turkey don't even speak Armenian. How can they accept this, understanding what that xxxxing country has done to their people and what it thinks of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
                    Just a question regarding Armenians in Turkey. Not Islamified Armenians of the Genocide or the Hamshentsiner, but regular Christian Armenians. Why do they continue to live in Turkey and why are such a large portion of them so comfortable with assimilation. On wikipedia it says that most of Armenians in Turkey don't even speak Armenian. How can they accept this, understanding what that xxxxing country has done to their people and what it thinks of them?
                    I don't understand that either. They should at least visit Armenia, but I don't know if there's much hope for them. They are under intense Turkish propaganda and are very self-complexed.

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                    Like Mher said, Christianity has helped us hold on to our identity throughout our times under foreign powers especially Muslim ones. During Ottoman Empire, converting to Islam was basically becoming Turk. Armenian Churches were cradles and preserves of Armenian culture, we have lost a lot of blood fighting to preserve our faith and not convert. So at the minimum, you should respect the Armenian church for this fact. I don't see how our faith as helped lose our "true identity", it has helped preserve our identity, it has yes refined our identity, but that is just natural over time.
                    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                    ---

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
                      Just a question regarding Armenians in Glendale, CA. Not the Armenian criminals and mafiosi who flourish there, or the rarely-seen political refugee, but regular Armenians who want to feel superior by thoughtlessly criticising others whose circumstances and history and culture they do not understand. Why do they continue to live in America and why are such a large proportion of them so comfortable with assimilation. On Wikipedia it says that most Armenians in America don't even speak Armenian. How can they accept this and still think they have a right to criticise those who are far more Armenian than they will ever be?
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X