Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian lesbians/gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenian lesbians/gays

Hey Lil, don't be so afraid sweetheart. As someone mentioned as well, your parents love you and will accept who you are. Your father might be the hardest one to convince, but I'm positive he'll get used to the idea as well.

For those saying homosexuality is a disease or anything else of the like, and the quoting of the DSM mind you, I should point out that research in the last 20 years has been extensive, especially in terms of twin studies. Identical twins reared in different homes have an extremely high chance of both coming out homosexual. We've eliminated environmental factors here, as they are exposed to different worlds. We have focused on the genetics especially. Identical twins are more likely to both come out homosexual than fraternal twins, and definitely more so than average siblings. The DSM itself is constantly updated as more research comes to light, so the psychologist's manual from the 1960's is definitely no source to use. If you have taken any psych courses lately, you will realize that you're not even allowed to use sources further back than 10 years unless absolutely necessary, preferably limiting to the last 2-5 years.

As for offering any more advice, I'm afraid I can't be of much help but I can refer you to a friend of mine who's pretty damned amazing and a Lesbian Christian... took her a while to admit to people her preferences, but she's accepted fully. She's not Armenian, however, though she has a few Armenian friends

Comment

I would say both of you have no idea how Armenian families work or how they have worked through the ages. In Armenia every household is a nation on itself, with its own laws and rules. In some places you have strong men taking charge and in others you have women taking charge. But it's the family themselves that decides how to act not the outside world. Most Armenians like to keep everything that happens in a household secret from the outside world, that is why the both of you are wrong, Mos and flamenkita.

Right now Armenia is evolving, the Armenia that we will have in a couple of years will be totally different from what we had during any other time. However that is a very good thing, because like an organism a nation and a culture needs to evolve and adapt to survive. The same goes for languages and people, but that is a totally different discussion.
      Armenia and Armenians have always being metropolitan and globalised people. We always have been traders moving from one part of the world to the other. Till this day we have a community living in India. 200 years ago when most people were living in one place Armenians were travelling the world and trying to earn as much money as possible.
      Multiculturalism has always been part of Armenia and Armenians because of the way we think and we are. We as a people do not trust authority and like to be different from everyone else. In Armenia every neighbourhood has its own culture and every village has its own language. In the past things were even worse with the Nakharars.

The only thing I see here is that neither of you understands how Armenians really are and how Armenians really think and how our culture really works.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
        I would say both of you have no idea how Armenian families work or how they have worked through the ages. In Armenia every household is a nation on itself, with its own laws and rules. In some places you have strong men taking charge and in others you have women taking charge. But it's the family themselves that decides how to act not the outside world. Most Armenians like to keep everything that happens in a household secret from the outside world, that is why the both of you are wrong, Mos and flamenkita.

Right now Armenia is evolving, the Armenia that we will have in a couple of years will be totally different from what we had during any other time. However that is a very good thing, because like an organism a nation and a culture needs to evolve and adapt to survive. The same goes for languages and people, but that is a totally different discussion.
        Armenia and Armenians have always being metropolitan and globalised people. We always have been traders moving from one part of the world to the other. Till this day we have a community living in India. 200 years ago when most people were living in one place Armenians were travelling the world and trying to earn as much money as possible.
        Multiculturalism has always been part of Armenia and Armenians because of the way we think and we are. We as a people do not trust authority and like to be different from everyone else. In Armenia every neighbourhood has its own culture and every village has its own language. In the past things were even worse with the Nakharars.

The only thing I see here is that neither of you understands how Armenians really are and how Armenians really think and how our culture really works.
        I haven't even talked about how Armenian families work. All I've talked about is against many of the ultra-left and unnatural cultural ideals from becoming a permanent part of Armenian society.Many of these ideals go against the rather family oriented society/culture that we have.

When talking about mulitculturalism, you can be understanding/knowledgeable of other cultures, but it becomes a problem when multiculturalism becomes a state/societal policy with your own culture being shoved aside for this globablised mindset that you must accommodate other cultures. Just like it has ruined Western Europe, which leaders there agree, it will ruin Armenia if it gets to that point.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

That's all fine and good, Karo, but you are talking to someone who has a degree in Armenian Studies, specifically in the area of cultural studies, i.e. anthropology. I base my opinions on primary sources and extensive fieldwork. I agree with you completely that Armenians were always metropolitan, multicultural, multilingual, and global. That they were always suspicious of centralized authority. And so, to read some of the stuff Mos is writing, suggesting the exact opposite and further demanding that we return to something that never existed to begin with? That's annoying.

Comment

Where have I demanded that we return to something that never existed to begin with? On the contrary, I have advocated shielding Armenian society from some of the negative influences coming in via globalisation.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Moz & Retro, you have very strong views upon the matter of abortion and you are so cold hearted in your decision. You are both men and have no idea what it is like for women to deal with such issues, not only abortion and contraceptive but the mere allowance of choices. I can't believe how disgusting both your personalities are. who are you to tell me what my 'duty' is? its so disgusting that you say women are useless if they don't have babies. you can say the same thing about men. why don't we all just force 14 yr old girls to marry 30 yr old men so they can serve their 'duties' more efficiently...eliminating her opportunities for an education and a life for herself.
              and moz, you really need to check up on your definition of feminism. i have told you that before. feminism is about EQUALITY and not superiority. believing that men and women are equal doesn't turn someone lesbian. if you do know the actual meaning of feminism, your saying that men should have authority over women?

Comment

Mos, where are the links? Also, Sarkozy... Really? His own people detest him passionately. This is not an opinion that he's expressing on behalf of his country, but rather on behalf of himself or whatever political goal he has in the moment.

Angela Merkel? Another superstar afaic. German legal scholars are very engaged in trying to reconcile a multicultural Europe while preserving local, individual, and public processes. Look up the work of Armin von Bogdandy if you are interested in learning about the process.

As for David Cameron and the Brits? Multiculturalism is all fine and dandy as long as it's in the service of making Britain bigger and richer.

Just because these "leaders" are making political statements that tickle the right-leaning segments of their voters doesn't mean that what they are saying carries any weight, or that it can and should be generalized to include what goes on in the rest of the world. Also, multiculturalism isn't this unchanging, monolithic thing that, once achieved, remains in place unchanged for eternity. It is a process. In the United States it is very much a process that changes and evolves, just like people change and evolve.

Comment

and im not trying to make the whole of armenia love me for who i am. im only trying to be accepted and not attacked. trying to explain to people that homosexuality is a part of life..so maybe i wont be hated so much and i wont have to live in fear for the rest of my life like i am now. i dont care about fitting into the armenian society. im not seeking to fit into the armenian socitey...ive lived 20 years of being a social outcast of the 'armenian circle' around where i live and im ok with that. what im not ok with is that i have to deal with such anxiety, stress, fear, depression because of who i am. of course im going to choose the love of my life over 'fitting in'. some people spend their whole lives trying to find a relationship like mine..your crazy if you think im going to give that up because a country of under educated (not meant to be offensive..but the armenian education system needs to step up) people. my original question was about my family and parents..not the whole of armenia. social mainstream thoughts etc will change....what wont change are facts about homosexuality (which most of you obviously are unaware of)

and thank you tamar for ur support. i am aware of all the recent scientific articles on homosexuality and many other topics..i am a 3rd yr science uni student.

Comment

Originally posted by lil View Post
                    Moz & Retro, you have very strong views upon the matter of abortion and you are so cold hearted in your decision. You are both men and have no idea what it is like for women to deal with such issues, not only abortion and contraceptive but the mere allowance of choices. I can't believe how disgusting both your personalities are. who are you to tell me what my 'duty' is? its so disgusting that you say women are useless if they don't have babies. you can say the same thing about men. why don't we all just force 14 yr old girls to marry 30 yr old men so they can serve their 'duties' more efficiently...eliminating her opportunities for an education and a life for herself.
                    and moz, you really need to check up on your definition of feminism. i have told you that before. feminism is about EQUALITY and not superiority. believing that men and women are equal doesn't turn someone lesbian. if you do know the actual meaning of feminism, your saying that men should have authority over women?
                    Agreed, Lil. I like how you call Mos "Moz" by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamenkita View Post
                      Agreed, Lil. I like how you call Mos "Moz" by the way.
                      o lol opps

Comment

Working...
                      X