Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Great Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Great Outdoors

It has been a pleasant summer so far here with temps staying relatively cooler then most summers. I took my son fishing a couple of days ago and he caught a huge pike which i had to help him with. People in the boat next to us were clapping after we landed this brute. The fish was released and swam away. Landing a big pike can be a bit tricky because they have nasty teeth and prefer to save most of their energy until you grab them and will often go crazy once in the boat. Trashing with those teeth and the treble hooks sticking out of its mouth. This one was well over 40 inches and healthy looking...it was a pleasure catching, releasing, and watching this beautiful fish swim away. I did not have my phone with me so no pics this time.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Great white gets eaten by killer whale.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Up here in N Alaska is a major flyway for migratory birds. They come from many parts of the globe to nest during spring and summer then head back during fall. N America, S America, Russia, Europe, and other spots.
        Just now... 9/24/14, 11:10am, I saw 4 tundra Swans glide down and land on a small lake.
        Such beautiful birds. They are getting ready to go home.

Comment

December 21st is the shortest day up here in n Alaska. A brief amount of daylight but mostly it's dark. That gets old.
          We are now gaining daylight every day.
          Oh yes. Most welcome.
          Hope all had a quiet & pleasant new year.

Comment

Hi Arty. I took down my hunting blind since the season is now over. I took my son with me and we went for a walk on some of the frozen lakes in the area. Since the ice is fresh you can see straight down to the bottom of the lake through the clear ice..it is so cool. I am so very thankful that I can spend time with my son in the great outdoors. He enjoyed every minute of it and we will soon be going ice fishing and making memories.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Strange weather continues here in Michigan. It went from 40 to 4 degrees in one day. I love ice fishing but when it gets into single digits and bellow your hole freezes up faster then you can keep it open and fishing is no longer fun. The "cool" thing about the lake flash freezing like that is how transparent the ice is. You can see all the way down to the lake bottom while walking on the ice... it is a very beautiful sight. My son got a big kick out of "walking on water" as he called it. Venturing out on ice covered lakes is not something you should do by yourself if you are not experienced. Ice thickness varies from lake to lake so if it is safe on one lake it does not mean it is safe on the others. Things like current, debt, underwater springs can effect ice thickness so it is important to know the body of water you are walking on or to be with someone who does.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Today I woke up to negetive 41 degrees F. For the last 4 days or may be 5 days its been averaging minus 20 or 30 degrees.
                Until about a week ago we have had another exceptionaly warm winter. These temps we have had this last week used to start no later than january but could start as early as october.
                so finally we get a week of weather that used to be normal for all of january and february.
                if one is not dressed properly in these temps then they turn into popsicles in short order.
                haykakan mentions in his previops post how his ice hole freezes quickly when temp is down to negetjve 4. I have a friend who lives in Rampart village on the Yukon river. Before this dramatic warmup started in 2000 he would dig a hole 9 feet deep in the ice at 40 below but never mentions the ice freezing at the bottom. Maybe cause your hole is so close to the surface?
                stay warm.

Comment

Yes Arty the debt shelters it from the wind. It is in the teens and low twenties here and I am having a great time fishing. I bought a shanty this year so my son can stay out there with me and we have had a wonderful time out there. He had a playdate with his friend and I took him out to and he caught his first fish ever. Tomorrow I have to clean all the fish we caught today. I had a big pike on today. He bit my tiny bluegill jig and I fought him all the way to the hole until he broke the hook. Ice fishing is a lot of fun and catching fish with my son brings me great joy.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Sounds dangerous......you guys use rope in case you fall through?
                    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
                      Sounds dangerous......you guys use rope in case you fall through?
                      I haven't haven't ice fished with a hook in the last 4 decades as I stopped doing harm to the defenseless long ago. I do put bread , cheese, etc on a string (no hook) for fun.
                      When I did ice fish however the temps up here froze the lakes & rivers so hard you could put a fully loaded cement truck in the middle with no worries.
                      Now the ice on the Yukon only gets around 3 ft thick, but that's safe.
                      All who ice fish have to understand how to read the ice thickness situation or risk being eliminated from the gene pool.

Comment

Working...
                      X