Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Meet me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet me

Hi, my name is Kate and I'm getting pressured into this by the one friend I have on here. Clearly, I give into peer pressure...even though I'm older than this individual.

I am an aspiring opera singer. I am half of Armenian heritage and half Irish. Strange combination it seems, but I meet more and more of this cross. I like all kinds of music, but I've put a lot of time and study into classical music. My brother is a pianist and we are planning on doing a recital together next week.

I do not know how to speak Armenian. I know a few words, but I would like to learn. My father was one of the youngest in his family and they stopped speaking Armenian when his father died...he was only 15 at the time. Needless to say his Armenian is a bit rusty. Although, I do have an aunt that was a little older who got a good education in Armenian who I am considering asking to teach me the language. My brother is also interested in learning, we just need to get to it. I'm not that talented at learning languages, which is unfortunate since I need to sing in like 6 languages all the time.

My great-grandfather was an opera singer in Armenia, who, during the Genocide was asked to sing and was soon killed right after singing. A pretty tragic ending, and although I have no idea what he sounded like I suppose my brother and I are carrying the burden of having to justify that loss. Five of his children were killed as well. I have a lot of crazy stories as to how and why my family is existing today and why the Armenian last name is still able to be carried like most other Armenian/Americans.

The Armenian men I have encountered are usually jerks. I would like to meet some who aren't conceited, close-minded or immature. Anyone interested in learning more, hit me up.

Kate

Re: Meet me

Originally posted by yerkouhi View Post

Hi, my name is Kate and I'm getting pressured into this by the one friend I have on here. Clearly, I give into peer pressure...even though I'm older than this individual.
    I wonder who that could be?

I am an aspiring opera singer. I am half of Armenian heritage and half Irish. Strange combination it seems, but I meet more and more of this cross. I like all kinds of music, but I've put a lot of time and study into classical music. My brother is a pianist and we are planning on doing a recital together next week.
    Hope it works out for you!

I do not know how to speak Armenian. I know a few words, but I would like to learn. My father was one of the youngest in his family and they stopped speaking Armenian when his father died...he was only 15 at the time. Needless to say his Armenian is a bit rusty. Although, I do have an aunt that was a little older who got a good education in Armenian who I am considering asking to teach me the language. My brother is also interested in learning, we just need to get to it. I'm not that talented at learning languages, which is unfortunate since I need to sing in like 6 languages all the time.
    That's a shame. Hopefully the members of this board will inspire you to learn about Armenia, its culture and its language.

My great-grandfather was an opera singer in Armenia, who, during the Genocide was asked to sing and was soon killed right after singing. A pretty tragic ending, and although I have no idea what he sounded like I suppose my brother and I are carrying the burden of having to justify that loss. Five of his children were killed as well. I have a lot of crazy stories as to how and why my family is existing today and why the Armenian last name is still able to be carried like most other Armenian/Americans.
    It is great that you are trying to keep his legacy alive! What a great and tragic story.

The Armenian men I have encountered are usually jerks.
    Does this include me?

Kate
    That's such a lovely name. Welcome! (or as we say in Western Armenian "Pari Yegak!") I hope you continue to post on this board as it provides invaluable opportunities for discussion, conversation, meeting other like-minded people that we usually do not have in our every day lives as diasporan Armenians! I know you will be an asset to the HyeClub community.
    Last edited by yerazhishda; 12-08-2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Hmmm. FAKE POST!
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Yeah, anonymouse, that's it...

Comment

Welcome Kate.

Comment

welcome kate
            and for the sake of good order the word yerkouhi meaning singer does not exist, the right word is yerkchuhi (or yerktchouhi)

Comment

Welcome kate.
              Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by vasbourakan1 View Post
                welcome kate
                and for the sake of good order the word yerkouhi meaning singer does not exist, the right word is yerkchuhi (or yerktchouhi)
                I am going to have to beg to disagree; I've heard people use both.

Example:

UNICEF-ը "HSBC Բանկ Հայաստան"-ի հետ համատեղ ծրագրում է անցկացնել "Երեխան պետք է մեծանա ընտանիքում" ակցիան

ՄԱԿ-ի մանկական հիմնադրամը (UNIСEF) "HSBC Բանկ Հայաստան"-ի հետ համատեղ ծրագրում է հանրապետությունում անցկացնել "Երեխան պետք է մեծանա ընտանիքում" ակցիան (Help Children to Stay in Family), - երկուշաբթի հաղորդել է Հայաստանում UNICEF-ի ներկայացուցիչ Շելդոն Յեթթը:

"Չափազանց կարևոր է, որ ակցիային մասնակցում է նաեւ մասնավոր հատվածը: Ես վստահ եմ, որ այս գործընթացին պետք է մասնակցություն ունենան նաեւ մասնավոր հատվածը եւ ոչ կառավարական կազմակերպությունները", - ասել է Յեթթը Երևանում "Նովոստի" միջազգային լրատվական կենտրոնում կայացած մամլո ասուլիսի ընթացքում:

Վերջինիս խոսքերով HSBC բակի հետ համատեղ նկարահանվել է տեսահոլովակ, որի ստեղծման աշխատանմքներին մասնակցել է UNIСEF-ի բարի կամքի դեսպան, հայ հայտնի երգուհի Ալլա Լևոնյանը:

Շելդոն Յեթթի խոսքերով տեսահոլովակում կոչ է արվում, որ երեխաները պետք է մեծանան ընտանիքներում, այլ ոչ թե մանկատներում, և հաղորդվում է բանկային հաշիվ, որի վրա յուրաքանյուր ոք կարող է դրամական միջոցներ փոխանցել, որոնք կօգնեն երեխաներին մնալ ընտանիքներում:

"Արշավը մենք կմեկնարկենք սեպտեմբերին, երբ կկայանա տեսահոլովակի շնորհանդեսը", - նշել է Յեթթը:

source: http://www.banker.am/news.php?news_c..._id=660&lang=1
                Last edited by yerazhishda; 12-11-2008, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I agree with ^^^

Yerkouhi is used commonly as well.

Comment

yeraz and sero, I do respect a lot your point of view, of course this is not the right thread to discuss about this but I checked into the dictionary -the one we have is kapamajian's which btw is arevmdahay- and the word yerkouhi does not exist. concerning the arevelahayeren there are a lot of words that are pronounced different, one of them which we hear daily on the armenian tv's armenia and h1, is nakhaka i/o nakhakah, nakhakan yegav, nakhakan knats or ge yerkem i/o g'erkem without mentionning the javakhkahayeren who would say yerkem ge. so may be I'm still thinking in my narrow arevmdaheyeren point of view, so thanks for pointing this to my attention

Comment

Working...
                    X