Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I am Armenian and GAY. Not feminine, just masculine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I am Armenian and GAY. Not feminine, just masculine.

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    I hope you mean that's the legal impact at least. Even that is an understatement, but less so...
    What other impact is there to "legal marriage" than the legal impact

It's not like anyone is stopping people from throwing parties with their friends/family and celebrating.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      What other impact is there to "legal marriage" than the legal impact

It's not like anyone is stopping people from throwing parties with their friends/family and celebrating.
      That's not the only legal impact. For example, you also get legal standing to make decisions on behalf of your partner as well in the event of their incapacity to do so or their death.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

That's not the only legal impact. For example, you also get legal standing to make decisions on behalf of your partner as well in the event of their incapacity to do so or their death.
        Yes, decisions on their property and belongings. You have the right to inherit what they leave behind. I suppose that could be done with a good estate lawyer regardless.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Yes, decisions on their property and belongings. You have the right to inherit what they leave behind. I suppose that could be done with a good estate lawyer regardless.
          It's not all about their freakin' property. I just said you can make decisions for them if they are incapable (e.g. regarding their finances/assets (yeah property), medical decisions, arrangements for the disposal of their body, etc.).
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

It's not all about their freakin' property. I just said you can make decisions for them if they are incapable (e.g. regarding their finances/assets (yeah property), medical decisions, arrangements for the disposal of their body, etc.).
            Yes, that's the political reason behind gay marriage.... everyone should have the right to pull the plug and dispose of their partners body

Comment

Yes, that's the political reason behind gay marriage.... everyone should have the right to pull the plug and dispose of their partners body
              Yes, because that's the only conceivable medical decision one might have to make.

Comment

? Marriage is about the merger of property and belongings. Poor people have nothing! Why would they need to "get married"?
                Here is a list of why poor people might want to get married from http://www.religioustolerance.org/mar_bene.htm
                • joint parenting
                • joint adoption
                • joint foster care, custody, and visitation (including non-biological parents)
                • status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent
                • joint insurance policies for home, auto and health
                • dissolution and divorce protections such as community property and child support
                • immigration and residency for partners from other countries
                • inheritance automatically in the absence of a will
                • joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the event one partner dies or leaves the house or apartment
                • inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal property through the right of survivorship (which avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate)
                • benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social Security, and Medicare
                • spousal exemptions to property tax increases upon the death of one partner who is a co-owner of the home
                • veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans joint filing of tax returns
                • joint filing of customs claims when traveling
                • wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and children
                • bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or child
                • decision-making power with respect to whether a deceased partner will be cremated or not and where to bury him or her
                • crime victims' recovery benefits
                • loss of consortium tort benefits
                • domestic violence protection orders
                • judicial protections and evidentiary immunity
                • and more....
                this post = teh win.

Comment

Yes, because that's the only conceivable medical decision one might have to make.
                  I'll tell you what's going to happen after the gay marriage thing. Everyone will have to be responsible for their own health care and spouses will no longer be able to use their spouses health insurance. That will be fair for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                    Here is a list of why poor people might want to get married from http://www.religioustolerance.org/mar_bene.htm
                    • joint parenting
                    • joint adoption
                    • joint foster care, custody, and visitation (including non-biological parents)
                    • status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent
                    • joint insurance policies for home, auto and health
                    • dissolution and divorce protections such as community property and child support
                    • immigration and residency for partners from other countries
                    • inheritance automatically in the absence of a will
                    • joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the event one partner dies or leaves the house or apartment
                    • inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal property through the right of survivorship (which avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate)
                    • benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social Security, and Medicare
                    • spousal exemptions to property tax increases upon the death of one partner who is a co-owner of the home
                    • veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans joint filing of tax returns
                    • joint filing of customs claims when traveling
                    • wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and children
                    • bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or child
                    • decision-making power with respect to whether a deceased partner will be cremated or not and where to bury him or her
                    • crime victims' recovery benefits
                    • loss of consortium tort benefits
                    • domestic violence protection orders
                    • judicial protections and evidentiary immunity
                    • and more....
                    Poor people live off welfare. Most of those things listed don't apply to them. They have no legal benefits to marriage unless they marry someone outside of their welfare class in which case they no longer receive welfare cheques.

Comment

Poor people live off welfare. Most of those things listed don't apply to them. They have no legal benefits to marriage unless they marry someone outside of their welfare class in which case they no longer receive welfare cheques.
                      Go around and ask a few non-wealthy people whether these things are important to them. It's rather arrogant of you to decide for others what rights are valuable to them (e.g. being able to adopt, not losing their housing if their partner dies, being able to see them in the hospital, being able to recover in tort actions, etc).

Comment

Working...
                      X