Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I am Armenian and GAY. Not feminine, just masculine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I am Armenian and GAY. Not feminine, just masculine.

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Originally Posted by ara87
    Giving rights to others does not take rights away from yourself. For example giving minorities such as Black Americans, Native Americans, Women(of all races), etc the right to vote and own land, etc, did not take white men's right to own land or vote.
    No, the right thing to do ...
    What do you mean "No, the right thing to do ..."? When you start by saying "No" that means you are disagreeing with what ara87 said. What he said is very true. Do you disagree?
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Making self government based on race would be highly illogical, because this would firstly lead to territorial dispute, look at what happened in Yugoslavia, you'd have that same situation that Bosnians, Serbs and Croats had, with each aguing where the other should live. Native Americans and African Americans do not live in a homogenous area, heneforth if you were to divide them, the wouldn't have an area that can exist seperately as a republic.

Also, of minorities in such self governing areas, you'd have minorities feel they are not being represented, meaning conflicts as well. As America is a multiethnic state, it makes sense giving equal rights to all who live in it

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
        Presentation or content?

For me, a good presenter/salesman.
        Probably he could sell snow to the eskimos.
        Both.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          Both.
          I grew up in the war years during Cyprus problems.

I (we) was homeless, grew up in poverty.
          I was unable to get decent schooling.
          I started work at 16 helping with the family livelihood.

However growing in hardship gave me the advantage of maturing early in life.
          I am a self made man, much more successful than many of my contemporaries who had it all.

If I advocated that today’s youngsters should grow up in that manner to succeed in life I would be made a laughing stock.
          Because its just not “normal”.
          I wouldn’t wish it either to my kids or anybody else's.

To say because somebody grew to become successful/happy does not mean the way the person grows up is normal even though he is a normal person.

Even at my age when I see in people “how I should have grown up” I get a sense of having missed out.
          You cannot feel it unless you have been through it.

He will probably feel it as he grows up.
          Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

I grew up in the war years during Cyprus problems.

I (we) was homeless, grew up in poverty.
            I was unable to get decent schooling.
            I started work at 16 helping with the family livelihood.

However growing in hardship gave me the advantage of maturing early in life.
            I am a self made man, much more successful than many of my contemporaries who had it all.

If I advocated that today’s youngsters should grow up in that manner to succeed in life I would be made a laughing stock.
            Because its just not “normal”.
            I wouldn’t wish it either to my kids or anybody else's.

To say because somebody grew to become successful/happy does not mean the way the person grows up is normal even though he is a normal person.

Even at my age when I see in people “how I should have grown up” I get a sense of having missed out.
            You cannot feel it unless you have been through it.

He will probably feel it as he grows up.
            I applaud you for persevering in the face of adversity and being successful.

That said, what's growing up "normal" exactly? Is growing up "normal" necessarily good?

I'm not sure I understand what point you're trying to make. He's not saying any way is better than the other in the video. He's simply identifying and challenging one of the premises on which those against marriage equality use to justify that position. They claim that children are worse off for being raised in gay parent households. He's arguing that this is not the case. He's doing that by sharing his own story which is just an anecdote, yes. But there is research data to support this too; that the children of same-sex parents are not different or any worse adjusted than those of opposite-sex parents.

Patterson, C. J. (2000). Sexual orientation and family life: A decade review. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 62, 1052 - 1069.

Wainright, J. L., Russell, S. T., & Patterson, C. J. (2004). Psychosocial adjustment and school outcomes of adolescents with same-sex parents. Child Development, 75, 1886 - 1898.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
            -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Fantastic speech.

WOW!!!!!!!!

Is that Alan Greenspan in the background?

Seriously, what's the ex chairman of the Federal Reserve doing here? lol
              Last edited by KanadaHye; 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

That said, what's growing up "normal" exactly?
                Firstly when you feel you grew up normally,
                and secondly when others think you grow up normally.

Hint, the fact that he feels the need to debate that he has grown up normal to others means ......he is concerned/unsure.

I'm not sure I understand what point you're trying to make.
                To say because somebody grew to become successful/happy does not mean the way the person grows up is normal
                ... even though he is a normal person.
                Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Firstly when you feel you grew up normally,
                  and secondly when others think you grow up normally.
                  To me, it seems to boil down to a belief system about what is ideal in society and how our upbringing satisfactorily normed with that ideal. In your case, ideal probably meant having a house, having enough food and security to feel like you could play and be happy without worrying about survival.

To others, normal was about having a sexual orientation that let to norming with all the acceptable, non-stigmatized choices in courtship and sex. But for those with same-sex attractions growing up in homophobic environments, it was not the outside world that is allowed to be blamed if one strongly believes in "normal behavior", but oneself. Thus, they are raised in a punishing environment. They start to miss out on feelings of security, about being able to open up and feel the satisfaction of not having to worry about how others see them (though not all people with same-sex attractions care equally about how they are perceived by others). So some of the things you consider to be part of a normal upbringing, are also missed out on by people who differ only because of their sexual orientation from the norm, rather than on their material security.

That said, there is a maturity process for all of us, when we feel we didn't get exactly what we would've hoped for during our upbringing in terms of support/guidance, which is why we search to amend that which we felt deprived of, by seeking it out at a later age. To do this, we have to declare independence from old, unsatisfactory norms we grew up in, and redefine ourselves and choose what kind of environment is best for us.

Comment

Presentation or content?

For me, a good presenter/salesman.
                    Probably he could sell snow to the eskimos.
                    I found it bad in both presentation and content.

Are Americans all as easily manipulated as robots? Press button X to make then do X, press button Y to make them do Y. To get them to support you press button "I'm a 6th-generation local, not some outsider with strange, heathen ideas who should be tarred and feathered and driven out of town on a mule", press button "We go to church together - so I am a real American", press button "awww, my mom has MS and that is a good, honest, honourable disease that any of you good, honest, honourable people could get - and is not something got from nasty unAmerican lifestyle issues" ... and so on.

I find all these discussions about same sex marriage a big joke - those arguing at each other are the very ones who have no stake at all in marriage as it currently exists. They are all either Catholic priests who are not allowed to marry, or homosexuals who are not allowed to marry their partners, or politicians who, if married, all treat their marriage vows with contempt.
                    The people who should be consulted are the people who have an actual stake in the institution of marriage because they have gone ahead and actually got married and stayed married. But they are entirely ignored! The ONLY people who shoud be consulted are long-term married couples. They should be asked if they feel that their insititution of marriage that they have entered into will be demeaned and devalued by allowing it to be open to same-sex couples, or whether they feel their institution of marriage will be enhanced and strengthened by such a change. And on that basis alone should the outcome be decided.
                    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Fiva7 View Post
                      Hey everyone.

My whole life it was very hard for me to keep it a secret, but I realised that keeping your real personality and desires as a secret isn't living life to the fullest.

BEING GAY is such a taboo for Armenians:
                      - because most of them aren't developed that much, to know that being gay is NOT a choice. They think that it's satanic, and that you will burn in hell forever if you remain living gay.
                      - Armenia has endured so much troubles, and so many people have been killed, that fear has become a part in Armenian DNA. A fear for children who will never be there, because there are gays who don't seek woman but men.
                      As far as I am concerned more gays means more women for us men.....this can only be good.
                      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                      X