Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nightmare comes home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare comes home

re-ups with Freddie Roach's Wildcard outfit.

Homebound boxer pulls Wild Card

Boxing: Glendale’s own Martirosyan returns to Los Angeles and first pro trainer Roach.
    By Gabriel Rizk
    Published: Last Updated Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:13 PM PST
    GLENDALE — While moving forward in his ascent of the 154-pound division, super welterweight prospect Vanes “Nightmare” Martirosyan is coming back to the place where his professional career started.

In mid-February, the 22-year old former Olympian made the decision to break with Houston-based trainer Ronnie Shields and return to his hometown of Glendale. He has already resumed training with World Boxing Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach at Roach’s Wildcard Boxing Club in Hollywood and could be back in the ring as early as April.

“I’m at a stage in my career where every step is really big for me, it’s gonna determine whether I’m gonna make it or not,” said Martirosyan, who improved to 23-0 (14 knockouts) with an eight-round unanimous decision over Billy Lyell on Feb. 7 and is currently ranked 25th in the world in the super welterweight division by the World Boxing Council. “My goal is to be the best fighter I can be and me coming home, I’m coming back to the basics and having the great Freddie Roach get me to the next level.”

Martirosyan began his first stint with Roach, who has produced 17 world champions in a career spanning over 20 years, after signing his first professional contract with Top Rank Promotions in 2004. With Roach, he amassed a record of 17-0 with 11 KOs.

In Dec. 2007, Martirosyan moved to Houston and began training full-time with Shields at the Savannah Boxing Club, citing a need to escape the distractions caused by his budding celebrity in Glendale and the fact that Shields could provide more personal attention than Roach, who has as large and star-studded a client pool as any trainer in boxing.

Shields, an accomplished veteran trainer in his own right, guided Martirosyan to a 6-0 record during a 14-month stint that saw a rise in the quality of his opposition and his breakthrough to 10-round co-main event bouts.

But, in addition to wanting to return home, be around his family and get them more involved in his career, Martirosyan said one motivation for the change was to explore a departure from Shields’ directive of setting and planting his feet, staying in the pocket and throwing punches.

“Ronnie’s an excellent trainer,” Martirosyan said of Shields. “I feel like his style wasn’t really clicking with mine and I needed a change. I had some great results with Ronnie, but I think this move will help me get to the next step of my life.”

While Martirosyan said he won’t abandon the approach of slowing down and relying on his punching power, he does want to return to a more mobile style.

“I like to be on my toes and moving and throwing combinations,” he said. “That’s what I need. I miss that in myself and I want to work on it more.”

Shields said Martirosyan cited homesickness as a big factor when informing him of the decision, and he was understanding, even if disappointed.

“I told him, ‘If you can do better at home, that’s fine, but what’s the reason why you left [home] before to come down here in the first place,’” Shields said. “I understand, he’s 22 years old and he’s still a kid. ...Family is everything and I understood that. I’m not mad at him about anything, I’m just glad I had the opportunity to work with him.”

Martirosyan said his manager Shelly Finkel and his family back home had some initial trepidation about the idea of returning, but trusted in his decision.

He also said that Roach welcomed him back with open arms.

Martirosyan’s training camp and corner crew will now include his father, Norik, a former fighter who taught his son to box when he was 7 years old.

For his part, Martirosyan said he is more focused now and pledges to avoid the distractions that drove him to Houston in the first place and is confident that his development is a priority for the busy and sought-after Roach.

“I see a big difference in Freddie spending more time with me, which is good,” Martirosyan said. “That’s what I need.

“But the rest is all up to me and how I’m gonna perform.”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Freddie hanging out with Mickey Rourke at Pacquiao-Hatton presser in LA earlier this week. http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slides...996747913.jpg/

Former heavyweight Michael Moorer joins Wildcard as trainer. http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=17908

Roach denies Iron Mike a trainer gig for Pacquiao-Hatton fight.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Re: Nightmare comes home

This kid has a ton of potential, I can't believe he's still in his early 20s. I say in about 5-8 years, he will be the biggest name in his division.

Comment

First fight after coming home and joining trainer Freddie Roach's operation: 6/27/09 from Atlantic City against 26-4 Ukrainian Andrey Tsurkan. http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=19936

Lopez-Lontchi Full Undercard Announced: Latin Fury 9
      Posted by: Fred Sternburg on 05-16-2009.

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ – World championship boxing monopolizes Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall on Saturday, June 27 with “Latin Fury 9!” The pay-per-view extravaganza will be headlined by two world championship fights -- World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior featherweight champion JUAN MANUEL “Juanma” LOPEZ defending his title against undefeated North America Boxing Association (NABA) super bantamweight champion OLIVIER LONTCHI and WBO bantamweight champion FERNANDO "Cochulito" MONTIEL defending his crown against former world champion ERIC "Little Hands of Steel" MOREL. The televised portion of the card also features former world champion PAULIE "The Magic Man" MALIGNAGGI taking on undefeated “Mile-High” MIKE ALVARADO in a 10-round junior welterweight rumble and VANES "The Nightmare" MARTIROSYAN risking his undefeated record against ANDREY TSURKAN in a 10-round junior middleweight battle. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Caesars Atlantic City, “Latin Fury 9” will be broadcast Live on Pay-Per-View from the Adrian Phillips Ballroom, beginning at 9 p.m. EDT / 6 p.m. PDT. These eight sluggers boast a combined record of 224-10-2 (135 KOs), a winning percentage of 95% and a victory by knockout ratio of 60%!

Tickets, priced at $200, $100 and $50, go on sale This Monday! May 18, at Noon ET, and can be purchased at the Boardwalk Hall box office, by calling Ticketmaster (800) 736-1420 or online at www.Ticketmaster.com.

“Call it the Perfect Storm because on June 27 Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall is going to be hit by a title wave,” said promoter Bob Arum. “Two world championship fights plus two more battles between top-rated contenders. Whether you see it in-person or live on pay-per-view, fans are in store for an action-packed night. Even though their fights are in Atlantic City, it’s not going to be walk on the beach for any of these fighters."

“Caesars is very excited to welcome these gladiators and their loyal fans to Atlantic City,” said Harrah's Entertainment Sports & Entertainment Consultant Ken Condon. “We are looking forward to what is sure to be another fabulous night of world championship boxing at Boardwalk Hall with these exciting match-ups."

Lopez (25-0, 23 KOs), from Caguas, Puerto Rico, returns to Atlantic City where he captured his world title, dethroning defending champion Daniel Ponce De Leon via a first-round knockout on June 7, 2008, ending De Leon’s three-year title reign, which had included seven successful defenses, five by knockout. Lopez has successfully defended his title three times since, all by knockout with only his most recent, against world champion Gerry Penalosa, going past the first round and stretching his victory by knockout streak to 13. He was named Puerto Rico’s 2008 “Fighter of the Year,” where he went 4-0 (3 KOs), including three first-round knockout world title victories. His professional resume boasts a victory by knockout percentage of 92% which explains why the average length of his fights is under four rounds.

Lontchi (18-0-2, 8 KOs), a native of Cameroon who fights out of Montréal, Québec, Canada, has promised to put up a Canadian cold front that will ice Lopez’s winning streak and title reign. A recent power surge has produced knockout victories in his last two fights, his most recent on April 4 when he successfully defended his NABA title with a seventh-round KO of Cecilio Santos. The former Canadian featherweight champion dropped down to 122-pound division in 2007 where he captured the vacant NABA and NABO titles winning a dominant 12-round unanimous decision over Cruz Carbajal. He has successfully defended the NABA title three times while advancing his world ratings where he had been ranked No. 3 by the World Boxing Association (WBA) and is currently No. 7 by the WBO.

Montiel (39-2-1, 29 KOs), from Los Mochis, Mexico, has captured four world titles in three different divisions. He returns to the ring in defense of his WBO bantamweight title, which he won in Tijuana on March 28 on “Latin Fury 8,” by knocking out Diego Silva in the third round. It was Montiel’s fifth consecutive world title knockout victory. Montiel, considered a crown xxxel of Mexico boxing, captured his first world title in December 2000, knocking out defending WBO flyweight champion Isidro Garcia in the seventh round. He held the title through 2001, successfully defending it three times, before vacating it to dethrone undefeated WBO junior bantamweight champion Pedro Alcazar, whom Montiel knocked out in the sixth round of their June 2002 fight to claim his second world title in as many divisions. After losing the title to Mark Johnson via a majority decision one year later, Montiel reclaimed it in April 2005, stopping Ivan Hernandez in the seventh round. Montiel successfully defended that title seven times during his three-year reign before vacating it to claim the WBO interim bantamweight title.

Morel (41-2, 21 KOs), from San Juan, Puerto Rico, is the second half of this classic Mexico-Puerto Rico battle. With 50 knockout victories between Morel and Montiel, this has all the makings of a Pier Six Brawl!!! Morel captured the WBA flyweight title in 2000, winning a lopsided 12-round unanimous decision over undefeated defending champion Sornpichai Pisnurachank. He held the title for three years, successfully defending it five times against world-class competition with a combined record of 90-12-7 when he fought them, before losing it in a hotly contested defense to undefeated contender Lorenzo Parra in December 2003, a consequence of staying at flyweight too long. Since then, Morel has won eight of his last nine fights while collecting North American Boxing Organization (NABO) junior bantamweight and bantamweight titles. World-rated No. 1 by the WBO, Morel is ready to let his “Little Hands of Steel” fly when he faces Montiel on June 27.

Brooklyn’s own Malignaggi (26-2, 5 KOs), returns to the shores of Atlantic City for the first time since June 2008 where he successfully defended his International Boxing Federation (IBF) junior welterweight title for the first time, winning a unanimous decision over top-rated contender Herman Ngoudjo. Malignaggi, long a Big Apple favorite, captured the world title by dethroning defending IBF champion Lovemore N’dou with one of his best performances, producing a 12-round unanimous decision on scores of 120-106, 120-106 and 118-108. He successfully defended his title twice during his 17-month long reign, including a rematch with N’dou, before vacating it to face Ricky Hatton last November. The only blemishes on his resume have been world title losses to Hatton and Miguel Cotto. He returns to the ring fresh from an April 25 unanimous decision victory over Christopher Fernandez.

Alvarado (26-0, 18 KOs), from the mile-high city of Denver, CO., will be looking to make the most of his East Coast debut. Having knocked out eight of his last 10 opponents, the self-described boxer-puncher has finally broken into the Top-10, world-rated No. 8 by the IBF, No. 9 by the WBO and No. 10 by the WBA, based on his impressive victories over rugged opponents, including knockouts of former world champion Cesar Bazan and world-class contenders Michael Clark and Emmanuel Clottey. Malinaggi is by far the biggest test of Alvarado’s five-year professional career and a true barometer of where he stands in the junior welterweight division. He returns to ring after two impressive 2009 performances – a 10th-round knockout of Clottey on March 7, where he was leading on all three judges’ scorecards 90-80, and an eight-round unanimous decision over Jauquin Gallardo on May 2, again pitching a no-hitter with the judges scoring it 80-71, 80-71, and 79-72. In preparation for their fights against Gallardo and Hatton, Alvarado spent time at Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Boxing Club sparring with Manny Pacquiao.

Martirosyan (23-0, 14 KOs), a native of Armenia now living in Glendale, Calif., returns to the ring reunited with Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach and his assistant trainer former light heavyweight and heavyweight world champion Michael Moorer. Known as “The Nightmare,” the 2004 U.S. Olympian, whose amateur resume boasts victories over world champions Andre Berto and Timothy Bradley, is on the verge of breaking through professionally in the competitive junior middleweight division, where he is currently word-rated No. 12 by the IBF and No. 19 by the World Boxing Council (WBC).

Tsurkan (26-4, 17 KOs), a Ukrainian native now living in Bronx, NY, enters this fight having won seven of his last nine bouts, including NABF super welterweight championship knockout victories over Hector Camacho, Jr. and Sammy Sparkman. In his last bout, the rugged Tsurkan became the only fighter to extend undefeated No. 1 contender Alfredo Angulo beyond the sixth round, making it into the 10th stanza, which was broadcast by HBO.

The “Latin Fury 9” pay-per-view telecast, beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT, has a suggested retail price of $39.95. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. For “Latin Fury 9” fight week updates, log on to www.toprank.com.
      adolescence

Comment

Friendly Reminder....

SATURDAY, JUNE 27, 2009
        from Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ

VANES MARTIROSYAN (24-0, 15KOs)
        -vs-
        ANDREY TSURKAN (26-4, 17KOs)

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

^^^^

Bump
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

VANES MARTIROSYAN TO TAKE ON ANDREY TSURKAN

World championship boxing monopolizes Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall on Saturday, June 27 with “Latin Fury 9.” The pay-per-view extravaganza will be headlined by two world championship fights - World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior featherweight champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez defending his title against undefeated North America Boxing Association (NABA) super bantamweight champion Olivier Lontchi and WBO bantamweight champion Fernando "Cochulito" Montiel defending his crown against former world champion ERIC "Little Hands of Steel" Morel.. The televised portion of the card also features former world champion Paulie "The Magic Man" Malignaggi taking on undefeated “Mile-High” Mike Alvarado in a 10-round junior welterweight rumble and Vanes "The Nightmare" Martirosyan risking his undefeated record against Andrey Tsurkan in a 10-round junior middleweight battle. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Caesars Atlantic City, “Latin Fury 9” will be broadcast Live on Pay-Per-View from the Adrian Phillips Ballroom, beginning at 9 p.m. EDT / 6 p.m. PDT. These eight sluggers boast a combined record of 224-10-2 (135 KOs), a winning percentage of 95% and a victory by knockout ratio of 60%. Martirosyan (23-0, 14 KOs), a native of Armenia now living in Glendale, Calif., returns to the ring reunited with Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach and his assistant trainer former light heavyweight and heavyweight world champion Michael Moorer. Known as “The Nightmare,” the 2004 U.S. Olympian, whose amateur resume boasts victories over world champions Andre Berto and Timothy Bradley, is on the verge of breaking through professionally in the competitive junior middleweight division, where he is currently word-rated No. 12 by the IBF and No. 19 by the World Boxing Council (WBC). Tsurkan (26-4, 17 KOs), a Ukrainian native now living in Bronx, NY, enters this fight having won seven of his last nine bouts, including NABF super welterweight championship knockout victories over Hector Camacho, Jr. and Sammy Sparkman. In his last bout, the rugged Tsurkan became the only fighter to extend undefeated No. 1 contender Alfredo Angulo beyond the sixth round, making it into the 10th stanza, which was broadcast by HBO, eastsideboxing.com reported.

http://www.armtown.com/news/en/pan/20090625/33513/

Comment

MARTIROSYAN BATTERS TSURKAN!

On the Latin Fury 9 undercard at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, junior middleweight prospect Vanes Martirosyan (25-0, 16 KOs) picked up the biggest win of his young career by dominating Andrey Tsurkan (26-5, 17 KOs) for six rounds. Tsurkan's corner stopped the one-sided bout to prevent their fighter from being seriously hurt.

Tsurkan, 31-years-old and a veteran of several ring wars, has taken vicious beatings in his last two ring outings and may have rethink his future before stepping in the ring again. Vanes appears to be shining and moves closer to a major title shot.

Comment

The Nightmare scares scares Joe Greene live on HBO from Yankees Stadium; improves to 28-0.
                It wasn't pretty, but Vanes Martirosyan proved his worth against Joe Greene.
                adolescence

Comment

Opens gym in Glendale, CA.

WWE, WWE News, Wrestling News, WWE RAW, Wrestling, WWE WrestleMania, WWE RAW Live, Impact Wrestling

Will be one of Pacquiao's sparring partners for Pac-man's fight with Margarito.
                  Last edited by freakyfreaky; 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM.
                  adolescence

Comment

Working...
                  X