Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

NBA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NBA News

Lakers 1st PreSeason Game

Lakers are playing in there first game against the Warriors
    Also, it's the first game of Ron Artest as a Laker.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Grizzlies hope Iverson can help fix what ails them

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP)—The Memphis Grizzlies got the Answer during the offseason. Now they’re about to find out how much Allen Iverson really can help solve the problems of a team trying to rebuild.

The Grizzlies won just 24 games last season and had trouble scoring, averaging just 93.9 points per game—among the worst in the NBA.

Iverson is a scorer, and he is saying all the right things.

But a torn hamstring during the preseason has left a few questions unanswered.

Will the biggest name ever to don a Grizzlies jersey willingly come off the bench in his 14th season or start ahead of incumbent point guard Mike Conley?

AP - Oct 21, 11:03 am EDT NBA Gallery How Iverson handles the situation will also go along way in addressing whether he and forward Zach Randolph add needed veteran leadership or create a disaster in team chemistry?

The Grizzlies won’t start to find any of those answers until the season starts Oct. 28 when they the Detroit Pistons, Iverson’s most recent team. He likely will be coming off the bench then as he works himself back into shape.

Iverson seems intent on helping the hapless Grizzlies change their fortunes and has noticed the excitement created in a town where his new No. 3 jersey has become a hot item.

“A lot of people, obviously when you talk about the Memphis Grizzlies, feel as if getting to the playoffs is enough and is considered a successful season,” Iverson said. “I wouldn’t have signed the contract if I felt that just making the playoffs is what I was coming to accomplish.”

Making the playoffs is a different challenge with this team.

The Grizzlies finished fifth in the Southwest Division last season. Climbing out of the cellar is tough enough, but Memphis was the only one of the five teams in the division not to reach the playoffs.

Four starters return, including the three top scorers. Rudy Gay averaged a team-leading 18.9 points a game, followed by rookie of the year runner-up O.J. Mayo’s 18.5 points. Center Marc Gasol added 11.9 per game.

Conley got an endorsement at point guard when Lionel Hollins took over in January after Marc Iavaroni was fired, and he will open as the starter. What remains to be seen is how much time he splits with Iverson.

But a clash over playing time and starting roles seems inevitable.

It’s difficult to imagine a scenario where Iverson—the four-time NBA scoring champ, 10-time All-Star and 2001 Most Valuable Player—is in warm-ups at the scorers table before the opening tip, high-fiving and hugging the starters as they take the floor.

“Everybody wants to start. I’ve been starting since I was nine years old on every team that I’ve ever been on,” Iverson said. “It’s something I’ve grown accustomed to. Mainly, I just want to lead. I’ve been places some of these young guys have never been. I can help them get to those places.”

He has been trying to fill that role this preseason despite the injury. But the Grizzlies have struggled, turning the ball over at least 20 times in most preseason games. Hollins said he is only worried if that carries into the regular season, and he’s also focusing more on defense.

“We want to be a running team,” Conley said. “We’re starting to realize you can’t be a running team unless you play defense and make stops.”

The Grizzlies remain a very young team, having added 7-foot-3 Hasheem Thabeet(notes), DeMarre Carroll(notes) and Sam Young(notes) through the draft. Hollins now has the luxury of bringing them off the bench and not having to start rookies in every game as Mayo did last season.

Doubts remain about what happens with Iverson and Randolph if Memphis hits the skids yet again. But no one expected the Grizzlies to be the team to snag Iverson, and Randolph, also determined to reach the playoffs himself for his first time since leaving Portland, believes the shock of that will be the team’s theme this season.

“We’ll surprise people. It’s us against the world,” Randolph said. “Everybody’s got us picked last, but we’ve got to show them different.”

Iverson with the Grizzlies. His career is also done like Shaq's.

Comment

NBA Season starts tomorrow & the first game will feature

Lakers vs Clippers

(the ring ceremony will also take place)

I love this time of the Year

Comment

The Spurs had there first game today & they cruised over the Hornets.
          1-0
          they look better with McDyess Jefferson Blair & Ratliff

Comment

NBA season has started & some suprising news alrady:

Clippers number 1 pick is out for 6 weeks
            Lakers lost to the Mavs by 13
            Oklahoma is 2-0

Comment

NBA great Abdul-Jabbar has rare form of leukemia

NEW YORK (AP)—Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is being treated for a rare form of leukemia, and the basketball great said his prognosis is encouraging.

The NBA’s all-time leading scorer was diagnosed last December with chronic myeloid leukemia, he told The Associated Press on Monday.

The 62-year-old Abdul-Jabbar said his doctor didn’t give any guarantees, but informed him: “You have a very good chance to live your life out and not have to make any drastic changes to your lifestyle.”

Abdul-Jabbar is taking an oral medication for the disease. He is a paid spokesman for the Swiss pharmaceutical company Novartis, which makes a drug that treats the illness.

Sports Stories ResonatingJoe Montana selling his $49 million wine compound Photo: UNC has unusual throwback uniforms Photo: NBA player sports old-school afro
              1 of 3 NBA Gallery Citing the way Los Angeles Lakers teammate Magic Johnson brought awareness to HIV, Abdul-Jabbar said he wants to do the same for his form of blood cancer, which can be fatal if left untreated.

“I’ve never been a person to share my private life. But I can help save lives,” he said at a midtown Manhattan conference room. “It’s incumbent on someone like me to talk about this.”

Abdul-Jabbar became concerned last year after feeling odd sensations. He went for tests at UCLA, where he dominated college basketball in the late 1960s, winning three straight NCAA championships from 1967-69.

“I was getting hot flashes and sweats on a regular basis,” he said. “That’s not normal, even for my age.”

An exam showed his white blood cell count was “sky high” and a doctor quickly diagnosed his condition. At first, all Abdul-Jabbar heard was the word “leukemia.”

“I was scared,” he said. “I thought it was all the same. I thought it could mean I have a month to live.”

“That was my first question,” he said. “Was I going to make it?”

A longtime student in martial arts, Abdul-Jabbar said he took the approach of a samurai, to face death without fear.

“I had my face on,” he said.

Instead, doctors told him CML was treatable with proper medication and monitoring.

Abdul-Jabbar is a special assistant with the Lakers and said he hasn’t had to cut back his level of activity of coaching, change his regimen or adjust his diet. “I’m able to sneak out for Thai food,” he said.

“There is hope. This condition can be treated. You can still live a productive, full life,” he said. “I’m living proof I can make it.”

Abdul-Jabbar recently returned from an academic conference in Abu Dhabi and has several speaking engagements planned. Among the people he regularly talks to about his condition is his son, a third-year medical student at the University of California, San Francisco.

The six-time NBA MVP intends to post updates to his Facebook and Twitter accounts and stay connected through www.CMLearth.com, a Web site for those afflicted by the disease.

About 5,000 cases of CML are expected to be diagnosed in the United States this year, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society said. More than 22,000 people are living in the US with the disease.

The disease tends to initially be diagnosed by people in their mid-to-late 60s, and usually affects men more than women.

“I want to spread the word,” Abdul-Jabbar said.

Comment

Before the season started Laker fans were all excited that this is going to be a great year, some people were even going as far as beating the bulls record 72-10. Losing to denver tonight, I don't think there seasons looking all that great.

Comment

Is there or has been any Armenian in the NBA?

Comment

Originally posted by Icy View Post
                    Is there or has been any Armenian in the NBA?
                    Not that I know of, there was a player born in Beirut but not Armenian I think Arabic his name is Ronny Siekly.

Comment

New Jersey Nets
                      have still not won a game

0-12

Comment

Working...
                      X