Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

NBA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBA News

NBA News: Why Mike D'Antoni Was Better Option for Lakers Than Brian Shaw

While it's obvious Phil Jackson would have been a better choice than Mike D'Antoni to supplant Mike Brown in Los Angeles, some believe former Lakers assistant Brian Shaw was a better option than D'Antoni, as well.

Supporters of Shaw point to the fact that he worked under Jackson and he knows the triangle offense, which may be better suited for this Lakers team than a run-and-gun approach.

But this wasn't about Jim Buss looking for a big name, as some suggested. It wasn't another example of the Lakers organization being clueless, as many have suggested in recent years.

In fact, hiring D'Antoni was really the Lakers' best (and only) option.

Let me explain.

This is not only a team overflowing with superstars, two of them (Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard) have massive egos—egos big enough to single-handedly rule an organization. While Shaw is certainly an excellent candidate based on his work in the past, the fact of the matter is he has never been a head coach. While Bryant, Howard and Steve Nash may respect him, his word isn't going to carry the same weight as D'Antoni's.

D'Antoni, of course, coached Nash for five seasons when he was with the Phoenix Suns. He has also worked with Bryant and Howard as a Team USA coach. Heck, Bryant has respected D'Antoni ever since he saw the former guard star for Olimpia Milano while he was growing up in Italy.

D'Antoni has developed a reputation as a "players' coach" throughout the years. Also, as Steve Kerr noted via the Los Angeles Times, the 61-year-old believes in practices that last a brief 45 minutes to an hour, just to get players loose. Kerr brought up a good point when he noted that Brown "may have been over-coaching the team a little bit."

That makes a lot of sense, considering Bryant and Howard are not players who feel they need to be coached at this point in their careers. They are superstars, and they know it.

In my opinion, Shaw was a better candidate than D'Antoni from a pure X's and O's standpoint. The triangle offense would work well with Howard on the post and the Lakers need to fix their defense.

But that doesn't mean he was a better candidate than D'Antoni. Chemistry is another thing this team needs, and that is much easier to obtain when you have a players' coach working with players like Bryant and Howard. D'Antoni has already developed a rapport with Bryant, Howard and Nash, making it unlikely the Big Three of the Lakers will have a hard time transitioning to their new coach.

You'll remember that one of the reasons the Miami Heat lost in the 2011 NBA Finals to the Dallas Mavericks was because the Big Three had yet to completely gel, and that included with coach Erik Spoelstra.

One season later, they were hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy and everybody was all smiles.

Given the nature of Bryant and Howard in particular, the Lakers needed someone with extensive experience as a head coach who was respected by players throughout the league. While Jackson would have been the ultimate option (respect plus a proven system), D'Antoni is second-best given the Lakers' current situation.

Will D'Antoni lead the Lakers to the promised land?

Well, I'm still a bit skeptical given his system has never produced a championship.

But is it the best the Lakers could have done beyond Jackson?

Yes. Giving Bryant, Howard and Nash free reign to develop together is the best option for this team.

While it's obvious Phil Jackson would have been a better choice than Mike D'Antoni to supplant Mike Brown in Los Angeles, some believe former Lakers assistant Brian Shaw was a better option than D'Antoni , as well...
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
      The NBA Season, has started off great for me.
      While my SPURS are 2-0 , the amazing Lakers that everyone's talking about are a perfect 0-3 lol
      Why do you feel the need to bash the Lakers?

Your Spurs will lose tomorrow. I'll bet my house on it.

Comment

Because I don't like them, they think to highly of themselves.
        We will see who will lose

Comment

Because I don't like them, they think to highly of themselves.
          So, that's a good reason to constantly bash them every chance you get?

Well, come to think of it, that's what I think of you.

Comment

I can care less what you think of me
            Originally posted by One-Way View Post
            So, that's a good reason to constantly bash them every chance you get?

Well, come to think of it, that's what I think of you.

Comment

Good try Lakers, Spurs are just way better

Comment

Good try Lakers, Spurs are just way better
                Wow, did you run to your computer so you could write that?

Comment

Yes I did, Pau Gasol is the best 3 point shooter in the NBA
                  Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                  Wow, did you run to your computer so you could write that?

Comment

Final NBA Score

Indiana 79
                    Lakers 77

they almost had it. Laker fans taught it was the coaching skills of Mike Brown that they were losing, so now they changed the coach & no difference

Comment

HOUSTON (AP)

The daughter of Houston Rockets coach Kevin McHale has died at 23.

TRAGIC SPORTS DEATHS
                      Remembering the many athletes sports lost way too soon.

Alexandra ''Sasha'' McHale died Saturday, and the team disclosed no other details Sunday.

The Houston Chronicle reports that McHale's daughter has long battled lupus, an auto-immune disease, and was hospitalized with a related condition.

Kevin McHale has been on leave since Nov. 10 to deal with what the team called a personal family matter. During his absence, Kelvin Sampson has been the interim coach. There is no timetable for Kevin McHale's return.

Team owner Leslie Alexander said in a statement that he extends his ''deepest condolences'' over the loss of the McHales' ''beautiful daughter.'' He called Kevin and wife Lynn ''loving and dedicated parents who will need our continued support throughout this very difficult time.'' He said the ''entire organization is mourning.''

Some of the Rockets expressed their support for McHale.

James Harden tweeted: ''Praying for coach McHale and his family.'' Chandler Parsons added on Twitter: ''R.I.P. Sasha.''

McHale spent several years with the Minnesota Timberwolves as a coach and executive before joining the Rockets following two seasons as a television analyst.

''While Kevin was with our organization, we all watched Sasha grow up and become an outstanding young woman,'' Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor said in a statement. ''She will be sorely missed by her family and friends.''

Comment

Working...
                      X