Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Historic Armenian Movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Armenian Movies?

Hi friends,

Can you recommend me any movies about the ancient history of Armenia? Is there any movies like Tarkovsky's Anderi Ryublev or Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky? I have recently seen Parajanov's Sayat Nova but it was a little bit surrealist but it was awesome anyway.

Re: Historic Armenian Movies?

Originally posted by Vagharshapat View Post
    Hi friends,

Can you recommend me any movies about the ancient history of Armenia? Is there any movies like Tarkovsky's Anderi Ryublev or Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky? I have recently seen Parajanov's Sayat Nova but it was a little bit surrealist but it was awesome anyway.

My knowledge of the Armenian Cinema is, at best, poor, so the following suggested movies may not be the best. Also, keep in mind that, unfortunately, you may not find DVDs or VHS tapes of acceptable quality - at least in the diaspora - and the quality of the copy may negatively - and significantly - impact on your appreciation of the movie; my experience has been a huge disappointment. When possible, avoid buying anything "produced" - i.e. duplicated - by Parseghian Video, as the quality is sub-mediocre, to say the least. By the way, the problem is not with the quality of the original master, but the reproductions.

1. Kim Arzumanyan's "Sayat Nova" - not as cinematographically achieved as Paradjanov's "Sayat Nova," or Tarkovsky's "Andrey Rublev"
    (Please keep in mind that most of the DVDs/VHS tapes that I bought at narek.com were Parseghian Video products.)
    2. Frounze Dovlatian's "The Saroyan Brothers"
    It occurs during the first Armenian Republic of 1918-1920; some may see in it pro-Soviet "propaganda," but that's a matter of opinion, and the "propaganda" is far from being naive and "central," as it is in Eisenstein
    3. Henrik Malyan's "Gdor m@ Yergink"
    Though it may not be considered a "historic movie," it happens in Western Armenia, before the Genocide; and, if I remember correctly, it's in Western Armenian, with a slight Eastern Armenian accent
    Last edited by Siamanto; 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM.
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Thanx Siamanto...

I have always dreamt of a movie that takes place in one of the ancient Armenian kingdoms takes place in Taron when it was capital or in Ani for example or in Tigran the great's time, the Western Armenian cities when they were fully Armenian, prosperous cities full of churches, palaces, pieces of art, monuments, vanks, architectural beauties. I think there isn't such a movie. Isn't there anyone to shoot a movie like this? Atom Egoyan for example. They shoot movies about Rome, ancient Greece, ancient Persia, India, China etc.. I think this must because of political reasons, not to hurt Turk's stupid pride or sumthin. I also want to see a movie about Konstantinople before the Turks....

Comment

I remember distinctly few years ago watching a movie on ANI .... It was in Russian either late 50's or 60's Soviet style and it was a major production with thousands of extras, battle scenes . Unfortunately I can not track it on the net .... it should be searched in Russian.

Comment

The movie about David bek is good, there is another about the persian wars but can't remeber the name and there is a great history movie about zangezur named Zangezur. It's a proganda movie but I don't care it's awsome I love the part when the red army arrives

Comment

Originally posted by Vagharshapat View Post
            Thanx Siamanto...

I have always dreamt of a movie that takes place in one of the ancient Armenian kingdoms takes place in Taron when it was capital or in Ani for example or in Tigran the great's time, the Western Armenian cities when they were fully Armenian, prosperous cities full of churches, palaces, pieces of art, monuments, vanks, architectural beauties. I think there isn't such a movie. Isn't there anyone to shoot a movie like this? Atom Egoyan for example. They shoot movies about Rome, ancient Greece, ancient Persia, India, China etc.. I think this must because of political reasons, not to hurt Turk's stupid pride or sumthin. I also want to see a movie about Konstantinople before the Turks....
            You're welcome!

The following may be of interest:

Is Historical Accuracy a Casualty in `East of Byzantium'?

15-06-2008 13:47:41 - KarabakhOpen

A new production is brewing in Hollywood, one that will recreate a much
            celebrated event from Armenia's heroic past: the Vartanants War. As was
            reported in the May 31st edition of The Armenian Reporter, a new film
            titled `East of Byzantium' is in the planning stage, whose producers
            are currently holding fundraisers to finance the production. If the
            roster of the individuals involved in the upcoming production is any
            indication, the film promises to be in the best traditions of
            Hollywood's epic movies: Roger Kupelian, the man behind the visual
            effects of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Flags of Our Fathers;
            Serj Tankian from the System of a Down, who will write the music score;
            comedian Vahe Berberian, etc. In fact, the producers consider the film
            to be the Armenian `Braveheart'. Surely, such an undertaking deserves
            applause and all the encouragement and success.

As most would agree, film and cinematic art in general offer the most
            influential medium in influencing popular perceptions and forming
            public opinions. Therefore, accurate depiction of the historical events
            and their overall context is of paramount importance. Yet, the scant
            information that is publicly available already offers cause for
            concern. Specifically, the article published in The Armenian Reporter
            and titled `L.A. organizations will join forces to fundraise for an
            epic film on Armenian history' (pg 8,
            http://www.reporter.am/pdfs/A0531-W.pdf) quoted Mr. Alex Kalognomos,
            director of the Arpa International Film Festival, who noted that ``The
            characters of East of Byzantium are epic men and women of Armenian
            history - Gregory the Illuminator, Vartan Mamigonian, and the great
            warrior goddess Anahita.'' It must be noted that this quote not only
            mispronounces the name of the Armenian pagan goddess Anahit, but it
            also mischaracterizes the true nature of this deity.

First, the name of the goddess in Armenian is Anahit. Anahida (or
            Anahita) was the name used to refer to the same (or similar) goddess in
            the old Persian pantheon. Strabo, the Greek geographer, in narrating
            about Armenia refers to the same goddess as Anaitis. In fact, if one
            refuses to use the accurate Armenian version Anahit, it would be more
            logical (yet still incorrect) to use the Greek version Anaitis rather
            than the Persian Anahida. Afterall, the ancient Greek civilization, in
            contrast to the ancient Persian civilization, lies in the foundation of
            the Western civilization, to which this film production belongs.
            Nevertheless, calling goddess Anahit as Anahida (or even Anaitis) in
            `East of Byzantium' would be equivalent to calling William Wallace in
            `Braveheart' with his Arabic (or French) version or pronunciation.

Second, Anahit was not the goddess of war, but that of motherhood and
            fertility. Here is how Sargis Haroutyounyan describes Anahit in his
            book on ancient Armenian myths and tales: `The most worshipped and
            loved goddess Anahit was the daughter or the wife of Aramazd. She was a
            mother goddess, depicted with a child in her hands, with a special
            hairstyle unique to Armenian mothers and women ¦ As a mother deity
            Anahit was the embodiment of motherhood, harvest and fertility' (
            http://www.armenianhouse.org/harutyunyan/04-gods.html#2 ). Please note
            that Sargis Haroutyounyan is the editor-in-chief of the Journal of
            History and Philology of the Yerevan State University's Armenian
            Philology department, head of the department of archeology, history and
            mythology of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of
            Armenia, doctor of philological sciences, professor. In short, he is
            considered an authority on Armenian mythology. Even if Anahit was
            confused by another deity in the same region and was assigned some
            features of divinity of war (e.g. its counterpart in the
            Assyrian/Babylonian pantheon, goddess Ishtar, who was the divinity of
            love, fertility and war), Anahit was still worshipped in Armenia as the
            goddess of motherhood and fertility. In the Armenian pantheon the god
            of war was Vahagn.

As noted earlier, it is of utmost importance that such a significant
            period in the history of Armenia is presented in an accurate manner. It
            is not yet known what other inaccuracies exist in the script or what
            other unintentional misrepresentation could creep in as an inevitable
            result of artistic freedom. As is customary, the development of the
            script and further production of `East of Byzantium' should include the
            advice of trusted and respected scholars of Armenian history. It would
            be rather prudent to enlist experts from Armenia's own academic
            circles, in order to exclude the possibility of `alternative' (i.e.
            false or inaccurate) interpretations of Armenian history present in
            foreign academia. Otherwise, knowing the enthusiasm with which
            Armenians embrace any presentation of Armenian history or culture in
            the mass media, a new generation of Armenians could potentially develop
            the wrong perception of that period in our own history. This also
            concerns the foreign audiences, who would base their understanding of
            Armenian history and civilization solely on cinematic interpretations.

Stepan Sargsyan
            Contributing Correspondent (Los Angeles),
            ARARAT Center for Strategic Research

Published by Ararat-Center at 1:41 am under Article

What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

hehe great news !

Comment

I can't wait for East of Byzantium!

I'm sure they will do a good job

Comment

Working...
                X