Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Russian-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian-Armenian Relations

The Necessity Of Armenia's Alliance With the Russian Federation

All the indicators suggest that Moscow wants to hold Armenia within its political orbit at all costs, even if it means it has to twist a few arms and break a few heads to do so. Taking into serious consideration the volatility of the current geopolitical order in the world today and the overt aggressions emanating from western led forces, I fully support what Moscow is doing within its zones of influence. Regarding Russo-Armenian relations, there should be no limits set to this friendship. Although Moscow is only concerned about its national interests, their actions in the greater Caucasus region are, nevertheless, having positive repercussions for Armenia. The Armenian Republic today has political weight internationally and it is untouchable by foreign forces primarily because of its close multilateral alliance with Russia and to a lesser extent, Iran. I would like to address the following concern that many Armenians have regarding Yerevan's close relations with Moscow; the lose of Armenia's independence. In getting closer to Russia, Armenia doesn't need to worry about losing its independence, Moscow is not seeking to incorporate Armenia into its federation. However, if in the future there is another major calamity within the region and Armenia has an option of joining the Russian Federation for its survival - I say, why not? In final analysis, in the Caucasus, it's all about survival. When you are an impoverished, tiny, landlocked, friendless and a resource-less country you will naturally tend to seek powerful friends. In this regard, the Russian Federation is our only option in the region. Obviously, Armenia also needs to maintain close and cordial relations with the West and Iran. However, when it comes to the West, Armenians should 'never' think that Armenia's national prosperity, or national existence for that matter, is a subject of concern for Brussels or Washington. In this regard, it is no secret that many within Russia's political and military elite, as well as their intelligencia, realize that Armenia's existence as an independent pro-Russian nation within the south Caucasus is crucially important for Russia's longterm national interests. For the foreseeable future, Armenia will be a vulnerable nation. In a worst case scenario, I rather have Armenia survive within the Russian Federation as a autonomous region than survive as an Iranian, Azeri or a Turkish province.

Russia and Iran have both had a long history of rivalry against regional Turks. Even today, Moscow and Tehran do not wish to see the rise of Azeri and/or Turkish power in the Caucasus region. Thus, Armenia can serve as a natural buffer against Turks and their western supporters. This is precisely how Armenia has become a geostrategically pivotal nation for Moscow and Tehran. Nevertheless, I firmly believe that without the Russian/Soviet factor in Armenia's national historiography there would not have been an Armenian Republic today. A point I would like to emphasize here is that as long as true Russian (Slav/Orthodox) nationalists are in power in Moscow the Armenian Republic has not much to be concerned about. Although relations between Russia and Armenia today are close and strategic in nature, Moscow was not playing nice with Yerevan for a while. Relations between Yerevan and Moscow were not very stable during the 1990s. There was a real threat back then that Armenia would brake away from the Moscow's orbit. Some have even claimed that the parliamentary assassinations in Armenia secured Russia's dominance in Armenia's internal affairs. Reality is that Moscow can make or break nations in the Caucasus, especially now that they have been roaring back to life - with a vengeance. Let's take a close look at Georgia and Azerbaijan, they have both essentially become hostages to Moscow. Baku nor Tbilisi are able to resist Russian pressure even though they both have direct access to the outside world, and very close alliances/relations with Turkey, EU, USA and Israel. How would an impoverished and landlocked Armenia would have faired had official Yerevan opposed Moscow's overtures in Armenia?

Taking the above into concideration, it is easy to see why Russia wants to control Armenia's economy, namely the energy sector. Moscow wants to ensure that Armenia is not able to breakaway from Moscow's orbit, and Armenia today is in no position to call the shots with Moscow. In other words, Moscow does not want to place hope in Armenian politicians making the right decisions every few years. By controlling a nation's infrastructure, its lifeline, you secure its allegiance. Taking into serious consideration our people's political inexperience, I support Moscow's actions in Armenia and I fully support the pro-Russian Hanrapetutyun party in Armenia. At this stage in our national development, especially in the Caucasus, Armenia can't allow its citizenry to decide sensitive geopolitical matters. The practice of true "democracy" in a nation like Armenia can potentially prove to be fatal for the nation. Consequently, due to the geopolitical nature of the region in question the Armenian Republic has no other choice but to remain firmly stand beside Moscow. In my opinion, in this day in age, when battle-lines are already being drawn within various geopolitical theaters around the world, the Armenian Republic 'must' seek to become a Russian outpost. This term - "Russian outpost" - used by a Russian politician several years ago in describing Armenia's relationship to Russia outraged many Armenians worldwide. I ask: why the outrage? Just like western Europe is an American outpost, just like Saudi Arabia is an American outpost, just like Japan is an American outpost, just like Georgia is an American outpost, just like Turkey is an American outpost, etc., Armenia's best bet, its only option today, is to remain as close as possible to the Russian Federation and their regional apparatus.

In my opinion, Yerevan needs to more-or-less distance itself from Washington. Accepting money from official Washington is like taking money from a loan shark. Moreover, the US empire today is on a global rampage of exploitation and bloodshed, and its favorite choice of weapon has been the false notion of bringing "freedom" and "democracy" to the oppressed peoples of the world. However, as we have seen, when Washington's version of "freedom" and "democracy" does not succeed in helping realize its agenda, it soon becomes Washington's "shock and awe" time - as we saw in Serbia and Iraq. The fact of the matter is that Uncle Sam is a sick pervert with a blood lust and he has no place in Armenia's internal affairs. Armenia does not need the "democracy" nor the "freedom" that is exported by Washington - more often than not on the tip of a sharp bayonet. What's more, it does not take a genius to realize that the world's most corrupt, the most undemocratic nations have tended to be Washington's closest partners. Today, the bloodiest and the most destructive entity on earth is the political/military apparatus in Washington. Ideologically and geopolitically Armenia's rightful place is with the Russian Federation. However, Armenia should appreciate Mother Russia for practical reasons as well. In my opinion, the future potentially belongs to Russia. Russia controls the largest oil and gas reserves on earth; Russia controls the largest landmass on earth; Russia controls the largest amounts of natural resources on earth; Russia has managed to monopolize virtually the entire gas/oil distribution of central Asia; Russia has finally been able to brake the shackles of their western antagonists; Russians are now on a fast pace resurgence militarily, politically and economically; Russia controls the politics of the Caucasus; Russia controls the politics of Central Asia; Russia controls the politics of eastern Europe to a large extent; And with their economic/military alliances with China - the 21th century potentially belongs to Russia.

What's more, by far, Russia is Armenia's largest and most lucrative trading partner. Annual trade between Moscow and Yerevan is currently over $500 million and it will most probably reach somewhere around one billion in the near future. What's more, Armenia's most affordable source for gas and oil is Russia. What's more, Armenia's only source for affordable and modern military hardware is Russia. What's more, Armenia's only source for nuclear fuel is Russia. And Armenia's only hope in fending off Turkish and/or Azeri aggression in the Caucasus is Yerevan's continuing alliance with the Russian Federation. The only other strategically vital nation for Armenia is Iran. The hard reality is that a tiny, impoverished and landlocked nation like Armenia does 'not' serve the geopolitical interests of the western world - especially when the Armenian nation has serious problems with the West's most vital allies in the region, namely Azerbaijan and Turkey and to a lesser extent, Georgia. Simply put, Armenia only serves the geostrategic interests of Moscow and to a lesser extent, Tehran. This is the hard reality in the world today. This is our reality in the Caucasus. This is what our national destiny has dealt us, at least for the foreseeable future. Armenians are naturally concerned about Russia owning a large share of Armenia's energy infrastructure and many of its vital and potentially profitable industries. I agree that these concerns are valid and such a situation may potentially have some longterm negative consequences. In my opinion, however, we need to place this concern in a proper perspective:

Let's make believe that we have a king ruling over a small, poor, resource-less, landlocked nation that is blockaded and under the threat of a major war. This nation is located within a hotly contested region. There are foreign forces attempting to cause trouble for the small nation internally and externally and is surrounded by unfriendly powers. The nation's industry is dead and it has no secure and/or efficient access to the outside world. The king does not have the proper means to support his social infrastructure. And he knows well that major powers in the world are in bed with his enemies.... Then a powerful emperor from the north sends the king a proposal: "Pledge your allegiance to us, let us run the infrastructure in your country and we will protect you militarily and we will trade with you." As king, what should he do? Yes, it's a very though call. The gloomy picture I painted above is not a fairytale nor is it an exaggeration, it is more-or-less the accurate depiction of the geopolitical situation Armenia faces today in the Caucasus. Let's remember that the Caucasus does not allow for mistakes. The last time we made some political mistakes at the turn of the 20th century, look at what happened - 2 million dead and total destruction of our homeland. The ruling administration in Yerevan, for various reasons, personal and political, have decided that the best way for Armenia to go forward is by allowing Russia full access in Armenia. In an ideal political situation I would have opposed such deep levels of Russian control in the Armenian Republic - but politics in the Caucasus is far from ideal.

Nevertheless, the Armenian Republic is not able to utilize its industry effectively. The fact of the matter is, Armenia does not have the resources, it does not have unhindered access routes, it does not have the money, nor does it have the international contacts for its industry to operate independently and efficiently. What's more, Armenia needs to import its energy - gas, oil and nuclear fuel. As I highlighted above, the Russian Federation has more-or-less a monopoly of the region's energy resources and its distribution. As a result, if not Russia, who is Armenia going to rely on for its domestic energy needs? Yes, Armenia has begun dealing with Iran regarding energy, but Iran has serious problems. As we can see, Iran is virtually under siege and if the West could have its way they would cut off Yerevan from Iran in a heartbeat. What's more, due to Russia's strategic concerns, Moscow does not want to see Yerevan relying on anyone else but Russia. As a result, they are forcing Armenia to allow Moscow to get in on the deal with Iran. So, what can Armenia do at this stage? What options does Yerevan have? Play hardball with Russia by dealing with Azerbaijan and Turkey? I don't think so. Moreover, let us take into consideration that the Russian Federation in its vastness is also an excellent market for Armenian products and a good indirect route to other markets around the world. Therefore, under these prevailing conditions and circumstances in our homeland, why not allow Russia full access into our economy - especially when they are strongly imposing themselves upon us? At the very least, let us find some comfort in the thought that a major superpower today is taking its relationship with the Armenian Republic very seriously.

However, Russia has tended to have internal problem throughout its history. At times, the Russian nation has been very volatile. Russia may be Armenia's dependable partner today but an unforeseen internal problem in the future may change that overnight. This has already happened to Armenia several times in the past. I would like to emphasize yet again that as long as true Russian nationalists are in power in Moscow the Armenia does not have much to be concerned about. Unfortunately, being in the situation it is in today, it is natural that Armenia will be dependent upon a major power for survival. In my opinion, while it lasts, we should take full advantage of our close relations with Russia to strengthen our nation's military, economy and international standing. This way, if the Russian Federation has another one of their internal upheavals in the future our small nation would not be as vulnerable it has been in the past. Those who bitterly complain about Armenia not having true independence due to the Russian presence in the nation are not taking into consideration the nuances of the region's geopolitical situation. Regardless of how proud Armenians are of their national heritage and fighting spirit, Armenians must realize that Armenia is not a major force on earth today and in an increasingly hostile world Armenia needs big friends. Thus, the inevitability and necessity of Armenia's alliance with Russia. As I said, there should be no limits to a true friendship. As such, I hope to see Russo-Armenian relations realizing their full potential. Nevertheless, I realize that with or without Russia, living in the Caucasus has its inherent risks.

Armenian
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Re: Russian-Armenian Relations

Although there are a few wrinkles that need to be ironed out, for better or for worst, Armenia's future lies with the Russian Federation. Why Russia? Besides the centuries long history between Armenians and Russians, besides the fact that due to a Russian presence in the region there is an Armenia in the Caucasus today, besides the fact that Russia is amongst the most advanced nations on earth - Armenians need to understand that the twenty-first century potentially belongs to Russia. This is, in essence, why we are currently seeing a frenzy of activity in the West to contain and/or undermine the Russian Federation throughout Eurasia. What's more, Armenians need to understand that Russia is a natural bulwork against pan-Turkism, western imperialism and Sunni fundamentalism. I am very glad that the "Hanrapetakan" party in Armenia, represented today by president Serzh Sargsyan, has had the strategic foresight to make sure that Armenia remains firmly within Moscow's sphere of influence. Concurrently, I am grateful that Moscow continues to realize the vital strategic importance of the Armenian Republic within the Caucasus. Why is Armenia important for Russia? For geostrategic reasons, namely to keep NATO and Turks out of the Caucasus and to secure its oil/gas distribution networks, Moscow needs Armenia as an ally in the region. And as noted above, for geostrategic, economic and survival reasons - Armenia needs Russian support.

The fact of the matter is, the West has no real interests within the tiny landlocked resource-less Armenian Republic other than to make sure official Yerevan does not interfere with their regional projects. The West's interest in the region is primarily the exploitation of Caspian Sea basin oil and gas, keeping the large powerful nation of Turkey within its sphere of influence and keeping Russia at bay, out of the Caucasus. Needless to say, without the Russian factor at play in the Caucasus, the every existence of the Armenian nation can be at risk. For the West, Armenia is simply a geopolitical obstacle, a nuisance. For Russia, Armenia is a strategic gate, a foothold in the Caucasus, that it has to protect for its national interests. For Armenia, Russia is a sustainer that it needs to stay alive in a very volatile and complicated geopolitical environment. For a small, landlocked and resources-less nation surrounded by historic enemies in an increasingly complicated world, Armenia has no other option but to place its longterm and short term hopes upon Mother Russia. May God bless the centuries old Russo-Armenian alliance.

When it comes to the nature of Russian-Armenian relations the following is what matters:

Armenian

Armenia Armed by Russia for battles with Azerbaijan Scandal compared to Iran-Contra

Russia secretly has shipped more than $1 billion worth of arms to Armenia, apparently to be used against - pro-Western Azerbaijan and - to force the Azeris -and their strategic oil reserves into Russia's orbit. Aman Tuleyev, minister for relations with the Commonwealth of Independent States, has acknowledged that Moscow supplied Armenia with 84 T-72 main battle tanks, 72 heavy howitzers, 24 Scud missiles with eight launchers, 50 armored personnel carriers and millions of rounds of ammunition. Lev Rokhlin, the chairman of the Defense Committee of the Duma, the lower House of the Russian parliament, told a closed Duma session April 2 that Moscow had -shipped $1 billion worth of weapons to the tough, nationalist government of President Levon Ter-Petrosian in Yerevan. His report was similar to Mr. Tuleyev's acknowledgment. Between 1992 and early 1994, when the conflict was at its height, Russian heavy transport aircraft were said to have ferried 1,300 tons of ammunition across the Caucasus to the Armenian capital. Most of the tanks were flown in aboard giant Antonov planes from the city of Akhtubinsk.

The Azeris say Russia also supplied 1,000 hand-fired Strela-2 and Strela-3 anti-aircraft missiles, which were moved by ship across The Caspian Sea, then sent over land through Iran to Armenia. Iran has denied playing any role. Western intelligence sources said The weapons played a crucial role in Armenia's, seizure of large areas of Azerbaijan, which created a million refugees, more than from any other conflict in Europe since World War II. Although Russia's military support for Armenia in its long conflict with Azerbaijan has been well-known, the extent of the arms transfers came as a surprise.

Responding to the revelations, Russian President Boris Yeltsin ordered a major government probe Saturday that could implicate his longtime defense minister, Marshal Pavel Grachev who was fired last spring. Russian military prosecutors are considering calling Marshal Grachev in for questioning over the scandal, which has been compared to The Iran-Contra affair. The- chairman of the Azeri parliament, Murtuz Alesketov, said Saturday the arms shipments could destabilize the Caucasus. "If these arms are not returned, this could lead to a new large-scale war in the region" he said at parliamentary hearings in Baku. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union at the end of 1991, Shi'ite Muslim Azerbaijan has eagerly courted American oil companies to help it develop the immense oil and gas reserves of the Caspian Sea, estimated as second in size and value only to those in the Persian Gulf. Russia has responded by backing Orthodox Christian Armenia, its historic
    ally.

[...]

Source: http://www.geocities.com/baguirov/arms1.htm

ARMENIA AND RUSSIA REASSERT BONDS AMID GEORGIA’S CRISIS

While Georgia’s political crisis continues into its third week, Russian officials have praised Armenia as a chief ally in the volatile Transcaucasus region, potentially strengthening strategic ties between Moscow and Yerevan. On Nov.14, Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov met with his Armenian counterpart Vardan Oskanian in Moscow. Russia’s chief diplomat hailed the bilateral alliance. Oskanian noted "complicated situation" in the region and dismissed media allegations that Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze had requested assistance from Armenian President Robert Kocharian. "It did not happen," Oskanian said, according to the RIA news agency. Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov also distanced Russia and Armenia from the crisis in Georgia. Ivanov dubbed Armenia as "Russia’s only ally in the south," called Russian arms supplies to Armenia "purely defensive" and pledged to replenish them. "Russia’s military presence in Armenia is necessary. The military hardware at the Russian 102nd base makes any threat to Armenia unrealistic," Ivanov told a news conference in Yerevan, according to Interfax. "We will rearm and re-equip the Russian 102nd military base in Armenia." On November 11, Ivanov and his Armenian counterpart Serge Sarkisian signed a number of agreements on the Russian military base as well as on bilateral military cooperation in 2004. The deals seem to bolster what is already a close strategic relationship. "These agreements would allow the 102nd base to feel more comfortable," Ivanov reportedly commented. Russian forces in Armenia reportedly use MiG-29 jetfighters and S300 PMU1 air defense batteries, an advanced version of the SA-10C Grumble air defense missile. According to Russian missile manufacturers, the new S300 has anti-stealth capability and can shoot down combat aircraft, cruise missiles as well as ballistic missiles in an ABM mode. The S300 PMU1 missile system can engage targets flying as low as 10 meters off the ground at a range of up to 150 kilometers.

[...]

Source: http://www.eurasianet.org/department...av111703.shtml

Russia to invest over half billion dollars to Armenian economy

Russian President Vladimir Putin and Armenian President Robert Kocharyan today had meeting, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti agency.
    The sides discussed huge projects to be implemented with the participation of Russia in Armenia. Kremlin source stated that bilateral cooperation in energy with the participation of Gasprom occupies special place among these projects. Over $500 million will be invested in Armenian economy in the framework of this project. Involvement of Russian capital into the development of Razdan Thermal Power Station, construction of refinery near Mehri city, modernization of Armenia’s railways and other transport infrastructures, atomic energy, gold production and other fields are on focus. Putin and Kocharyan also touched on several international problems and the situation in the Caucasus.

Source: http://en.apa.az/news.php?id=33372

Gazprom: Oil Refinery in Armenia To Process Crude Oil from Iran

A subsidiary of Russia's state-run Gazprom gas giant confirmed on Friday reports that it is considering building a big oil refinery in Armenia that would process crude from neighboring Iran. A spokesman for the Gazprom-Neft company, Natalya Vyalkina, told RFE/RL that both the Armenian and Russian governments are looking into the project estimated at a staggering $1.7 billion. She would not say when they could make concrete decisions. Reports in the Russian press have said President Robert Kocharian discussed the matter with Russian Industry and Energy Minister Viktor Khristenko and other top officials during his confidential visit to Moscow last week. Khristenko’s ministry refused to comment on the information. Russian-Armenian cooperation on energy was on the agenda of Kocharian’s follow-up talks with Russia’s President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday. The projected refinery would reportedly be built in Meghri, an Armenian town close to the Iranian border, and have the capacity to process up to 7 million tons of Iranian oil each year. Petrol produced by it would be exported to Iran. Despite its vast oil reserves, the Islamic Republic has to import gasoline to meet domestic demand.

Source: http://www.huliq.com/8161/gazprom-oi...-oil-from-iran

Russia going to finance construction of new NPP in Armenia?

Russia is ready to fully finance construction of a new Nuclear Power Plant in Armenia, IA Regnum reports with a reference to a source in the Armenian government. Some agreements were achieved during the recent visit of Sergey Kiriyenko, the head of the Russia’s Federal Atomic Energy Agency (Rosatom) to Yerevan. Russia will be a joint owner of the new Armenian NPP, according to the source. Russia’s share in abuilding NPPs in foreign states may make from 5% to 20-30%. Kiriyenko said Russia is ready to send specialists for the works to be carried out. The Armenian authorities are planning to build a new NPP, since the republic has no other alternative after the closing of the Metsamor Nuclear Power Plant. At a meeting with the students of the Yerevan State University RA President Robert Kocharian said Armenia should have atomic energy and works are carried out in this direction. Some $240 million is essential to close the ANPP whose operation term expires in 2016. However, with joining the European Neighborhood Policy, Armenia undertook to close the NPP in the shortest terms.

Source: http://www.panarmenian.net/news/eng/?nid=22103

Russian defense minister visited Memorial to victims of the Armenian Genocide

On January 26, Russia’s Deputy Prime Minister, Defense Minister Sergey Ivanov who is currently in Armenia, visited Memorial to victims of the Armenian Genocide in Ottoman Empire in Yerevan. As a REGNUM correspondent informs, the Russian minister was accompanied by Secretary of National Security Council of the Armenian President, Defense Minister Serzh Sarkisyan, representative of the country’s military commandment, Russian Ambassador to Armenia and other officials. Ivanov placed a wreath to the Eternal Flame and observed the pine tree that he had planted by himself at the Alley of memory. Besides, during his trip Ivanov visited Russian military base in Gyumri, met the Armenian president, prime minister and defense minister of Armenia.

Source: http://www.regnum.ru/english/polit/579732.html

One of Russia’s priorities – relations with Armenia - Lavrov

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday relations with Armenia is one of Russia’s priorities. “We believe that stability in the Caucasus depends in many respects on Armenia’s situation,” he told a meeting with students and professors of the Yerevan State University. “It is possible to ensure such stability not by means of creating a certain bloc, but by means of joint efforts,” he said. “Within the framework of the Collective Security Treaty Organization we do not try to fence off ourselves from others or work against anyone,” he said. The Collective Security Treaty Organization is “aimed at stability, counteraction to terrorism and drugs trafficking and open cooperation with the countries interested in resolving these tasks,” Lavrov said. He pointed out that Russia is interested in calm on its borders, stable development of neighbouring countries and “mutually advantageous and equal cooperation with them proceeding from the interests of our economies and our countries.”

Source: http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2....2515&PageNum=0

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

My debate with Hellektor regarding Russian-Armenian relations and Armenians in Russia.

Hellektor, I will respectfully disagree with you regarding Turkish-Armenians and Russian-Armenians. I have distant relatives from Istanbul; I have been to Istanbul; I have had Armenian friends from Istanbul and I have met many-many-many Armenians from Istanbul; Living in New York City I see many-many "Polsahays" on a regular basis. As far as I'm concerned, at best, Turkish-Armenians living in and around Istanbul are useless for us Armenians and at worst, they can be a serious political obstacle for the Armenian Republic. I see them playing absolutely no positive role in the political formulations of the Armenian Republic.

Originally posted by Hellektor
      Secondly, one shouldn't treat an entire community by the actions of a few.
      I see you have not experienced them in their natural setting. In my opinion, most (not all, most) are Turks with a distinct Christian flavor - in the truest sense of the word. And in no way can Istanbul Armenians be compared to Baku Armenians. The "assimilated" Baku Armenians were "Russofied" - not Turkofied as in the case of most Istanbul Armenians.

Needless to say, I'll take a Russofied Armenian over one that has Turkish flavor any day.

Thirdly, please do have the objectivity to put yourselves just for a second in their place and think of what they have suffered during the last thousand years. After all, those millions of martyrs slaughtered throughout multiple genocides by the vicious, atrocious, ferocious, pernicious Turk were mostly Armenians under Turkish yoke, including Grigor Zohrab, Varuzhan, Komitas and Hrand Dink.
      Hrand Dink was a great man, I mourn his death, but he is no Armenian hero for me. And the old Polis, along with our Western Armenian intelligencia, died on April 24, 1915. Today what we have left is - Istanbul, with its Turkified remnants of Polsahays. The Armenian Patriarchate in Istanbul is essentially the mouthpiece of official Ankara. And according to the whore of Istanbul, Mutafoglu, the Armenian intermarriage rate with Turks is 70% plus. Try to grasp the striking implications of this fact. In one or two generations vast majority of Armenians in Turkey will have Turkish blood. This is the reality of Armenians in Istanbul. I don't care about the sociopolitical and/or socioeconomic conditions that caused this situation.

Fourthly, do pay attention to the Armenians living in Turkish occupied Armenian provinces in forms of secret Armenians and Islamized Armenians. I have shared my thoughts on these brothers and sisters of us in this post.
      I have more hope placed on Hamshen Armenians than I do towards so-called Armenians of Istanbul. In a future war to liberate our western lands, Hamshen Armenians can potentially be helpful for Armenia. Istanbul Armenians, however, will definitely be an obstacle. Please get to know these people before you form opinions about them.

Finally, they are our flesh and blood.
      So? So is Levon Petrosian and his followers. All the Armenian criminals and traitors that have ruined Armenia throughout the centuries are our flesh and blood as well. What are you suggesting? Flesh and blood does not interest me at all, I look for ideological, spiritual and ethical compatriots.

We have to remind ourselves that we have been reduced to a small nation as a result of centuries of genocide under the Turkic abomination. We should think of bringing back our kin and counter the Turkish genocidal policy that is still trying to brainwash those Armenians fearing their awakening.
      I advise you to engage Armenians from Turkey in this topic and see how far you will get. You will see more hate and more disdain towards Armenian nationalists, towards the Armenian Republic and towards Hayastantsiner than you would from a Turk.

Incidentally, just look at how fast the Armenians in Russia are assimilating despite the fact that they were born and grew up in Armenia. If any Armenians should leave a place that would be Russia where those fascist thugs are killing our fellow Armenians on a weekly basis.
      Stop your ridicules Russophobia Hellektor. I have seen you make foolish comments about Russo-Armenian relations in the past and I have kept silent. In my opinion, its utterly unbecoming of an intelligent person like you. What you are wishing for is essentially 'suicide' for the Armenian Republic.

God forbid Armenians leave Russia!!! What an insane suggestion. Do you know what the heck you are even talking about? Put all the geostrategic/geopolitical crap aside; put Armenia's affordable Russian military hardware aside; put Armenia's affordable natural gas supplies from Russia aside; put the Russian nuclear fuel provisions for Armenia aside - Armenia benefits to the tune of about 2 billion USD annually because of its close relations with Moscow!!!

I am pro-Iranaian as well. However, compared to Russia, in the realms of economy and militarily, what the xxxx has Iran done for the Armenian Republic? What about the EU? USA?

If anything, we Armenians need a more organized presence in Russia. According to Armen Ayvazian (Ararat Center for Strategic Research), Ankara is spending many millions in Russia to discredit the Armenian Republic and undermine Russo-Armenian relations. And you, an Armenian nationalist, want us to help them realize their dream of breaking Russia away from Armenia? Have you gone absolutely mad, Hellektor?

Regarding assimilation: When Armenians live in non-traditional Armenian lands that are western/Christian, friendly and progressive assimilation is inevitable. However, when Armenians "assimilate" in Russia they give us individuals like Sergei Lavorv, Ara Abrahamian, Arthur Chilingarov and Mikael Poghosian, to name a few. So, if the diaspora is to assimilate let them assimilate in Russia.

Incidentally, how are Armenian-Americans doing regarding assimilation? French-Armenians? Turkish-Armenians?

What happens when Armenian in these nations assimilate? I'll tell you what happens: we get sluts like Kim Kardashian, Armenian CIA agents like Richard Giragosian, and ecclesiastic whores like Mutafian...

Regarding racists: They exist in all nation, especially in former empires going through rough economic times. I suggest you find out what American racists in America's south west think of Armenians. Heh, you are in for a biiiiiiiiiig shock! God forbid America hits severe economic depression and a weakened central government - the Armenian population in southern California will be minced meat at the hands of White Supremacists, Mexicans and Blacks. Nonetheless, the racist problem in Russia is controlled by Western interests as well as criminal entities within the Russian Federation. The central authorities there are beginning to combat this problem.

It seems you have - a lot - to learn about Russia, Russians and Armenian-Russian relations.

They should return to Armenia and help it develop. They fled as the result of Artsakh war and Levin Peterstein's anti-Armenian policy.
      You are being irrational. Like I said, Armenians in Russia send to Armenia about $1 billion annually and Armenian-Russian economic trade brings in another $1 billion. Armenians need to better promote Armenian interests within the Kremlin. Jews took over Washington DC, we need to infiltrate the other superpower, the Kremlin. Nevertheless, regardless of how one looks at it, the only reason why the Armenian Republic exists today is because of the Russian presence in the Caucasus.

Get this through your head: No Russia, no Armenia. Troubling, but true.

It saddens me deeply that I have to discuss this none-issue with an Armenian nationalist.
      Last edited by Armenian; 06-05-2008, 11:05 AM.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Hellektor, your dislike, or hate, or fear, of Russians is not allowing you to see clearly. There seems to be a blurry line between reality and fantasy here. You are an intelligent individual. So tell me: what political "leverage" does official Yerevan have when it comes to dealing with Russia other than promising Moscow that Armenia will serve Russia's interests within the Caucasus?

Please think through your answer before posting it.

Play tough with Russia? Especially now? In the Caucasus? With the kind of neighbors we have? In the political, economic situation we are in?

Have you people gone totally mad?!?!?!

You want to fuck with Gazprom?

The EU and the US put together have not been able to fuck with Gazprom. What if Gazprom says no gas or oil for you Yerevan until you get your act straight. What does Yerevan do in such a situation? Ask Baku, Tbilisi or Ankara for gas and oil supplies? Forget your embattled Iran, they need Russia just as much as we do, if not more. Iran will never sabotage its relations with Moscow over us, nor would they openly side with us due to the Islamic factor.

You want to sabotage Armenia's nuclear fuel provisions?

What if Moscow stops all nuclear fuel shipments to Armenia. Armenian's nuclear power plant provide 40% of Armenia's energy needs. What will Yerevan do then? Ask the US for nuclear fuel?

You want to sabotage Armenian CIS military protection?

What if Moscow decided to lift that protection, one that has essentially kept Turkey on the WEST side of the Arax.

You want to sabotage Armenia's access to low cost modern armaments?

Who will train and equip our military? USA? Turkey? Azerbaijan? Israel? Iran?

You want to sabotage the diplomatic support Artsakh receives from Moscow?

What if Russia began to side with Baku over the Artsakh issue due to Armenia's wish to "play tough" with Moscow? Who do we then ask for political help regarding Artsakh? China?

You want to sabotage the desperately needed $1 billion trade with have with Russia?

What if Russia placed an embargo on Armenian produced goods. What if Moscow pulled out their hundreds of millions of dollars of investments. What if the trade we have with them was lost.

You want to sabotage the disparately needed money transfers Armenia gets from Russia?

What if Russian imposed visa restriction on Armenians traveling to Russia. What if Russia imposed restrictions on transferring money to Armenia. Where will the hundreds of thousands of Armenian migrant workers go work and send money home from? Iran? Turkey? EU?

It's not a happy feeling but yeah they got us by the balls.

They also need us but no way near as much as we need them. For us, our relations with Russia is simply a matter of survival. For them, their relations with us is simply a matter of geopolitical calculation. Thus, Armenia is walking a very fine line in the Caucasus. What we don't need now is individuals like you causing undue tension between Yerevan and Moscow.

Push comes to shove, Moscow can take all of the aforementioned measures against Armenia and 'still' keep their control over the Caucasus. Look at Georgia, they literally have billions of dollars being pumped into their republic from USA, EU, Saudi Arabia, Turkey; they have American and Turkish military and diplomatic help; they have all the sea access they need to trade with Europe and beyond; they have free flowing oil coming in from Azerbaijan; yet due to Moscow, the nation of Georgia today is under a serious threat of breaking up. Azerbaijan is another example of how helpless nation in the Caucasus are against Russia. Baku is essentially a hostage to Moscow.

When you pray at nights, if you pray, make sure you say a little prayer for the Kremlin, because in this very complex and unforgiving world, they have decided that Armenia's existence in the Caucasus serves their interests.

Originally posted by Hellektor
        Dear Armenian,

There's absolutely no need for you to get worked up. I respect you and I am not your enemy. Please keep in mind that people think differently and form their opinions by analyzing the FACTS they come across.

I have also seen comments by you where you have credited the Armenian victory in Artsakh war and the existence of the present Armenian Republic to name but a few to the Russians. I totally disagree with this yet I kept silent. It seems you don't ascribe an iota of credit to the bravery of the Armenians in all wars they have fought, from Avaryre to Sardarabad, from WWII to Artsakh and on.

If you take your time and read my And the Fraud Had a Name, you will get to know my thoughts on Iran, Russia, Georgia and Britain among others. I'll try to concentrate on the point of Russian so-called support of Armenia. Don't forget if Russia provided Armenians with weapons in Artsakh war, they gave double that, plus a helping hand to the Azerbaboons during the Sumgait, Baku, Gandzak pogroms and the Ring Operation. The genocidal acts could in no possible way have been caried out without the green light from Moscow. They knew the implications of breaking away of an autonomous region from a Soviet "republic", which would lead (and did lead) to the downfall of the USSR. Nothing personal against Armenians perhaps (though I doubt this). I have also touched this subject in And the Fraud...

Please keep in mind these points while you read the post:

I. Any government of a given country, if they care in the least about their national interests, adopts a foreign policy accordingly.

II. No nation on the face of the earth will sacrifice their own interests for another country.

Please especially DO KEEP IN MIND: I have absofukkenlutely no objection to the Russo-Armenian ties and I wish that it will continue to be as solid as possible, yet on a basis of equals, not masters and dogs. On the other hand, I do not wish Armenia to fall in the Judeo-Saxon faggotry and be tempted by delusions like Jewmockracy, KATO or Eurofag Union, yet they should continue their so-called complementary policy which I really support.

I have no problem with any nation (Turks are viruses, remember), neither the English nor the Russians nor any other. Every nation has contributed to our civilization in their own way, like any program on your computer does a certain useful job (except for viruses that destroy your programs and files). There are many things Russian that I like, mainly the great Russian composers who have enriched our world with irreplaceable gems... But as far as foreign policy, Russians have always been arch-hypocrites for centuries.

The unfortunate truth is that the Armenians, being engulfed by hostile Muslim invaders have always sought their liberation from the yoke of these by powerful Christian nations, the closest of them being the Russians.

Right from the days of Israel Ori's meeting with Peter the great in 1701 where Ori got nothing but empty promises, to the days of the Iran-Russian wars of early 19th century where with the help of part of the Armenians (the other part being perhaps rightly pro-Iran) Russia took over the rule of the so-called south Caucasus yet immediatetly stabbed us for thank you and rejected the independence of the Meliks of Artsakh putting an end to this stronghold of Armenian Highland, unlike the Persian kings who supported them knowing in them they had powerful allies that defended the northwestern borders of the Persian Empire, to Alexander III's anti-Armenian stance, to Lobanov-Rostovsky's famous retort in 1895, "Yes, Russia wants Armenia, but without the Armenians", to Golitsyn's closing of the Armenian schools and his dictatorial grip on Russian Armenia, to the confiscation of Armenian Church property in 1903, to the retreat of the Russian Army in 1917 from parts of liberated Turkish occupied Armenia in the days of the Judeo-Bolshevik agitation and the moments of life or death when Turkey was nearing Vagharshapat to put an end to the last portion of Armenian existence, when the retreating Russian soldiers burnt the commercial district of Yerevan to loot all the shops, we have seen nothing but treachery from the Russians.

Regarding the conquest of the Caucasus by Russia in early 19th century, Luigi Villari states in Fire and Sword in the Caucasus, “…the very generals commanding the Russian invading armies were often Armenians, such as Lazareff and Loris Melikoff. It is indeed safe to say that but for the Armenians, Russia would never have conquered the Caucasus”. Remember, it's a third party opinion.

To summarize the immense contribution of the Armenians to the Union of Soviet Sionist "Republics" would call for an entire book. Just remember that while Armenia constituted about 1% of the red empire's population, they provided more than 10% of the scientists of the Union, I'm not talking about the artists, actors, composers, directors, musicians, singers, intellectuals, etc. Just think of Mikoian and MiG, Alikhanian brothers, Victor Hambartsumian, Aram Khachatrian, Arnaud Babajanian, Parajanov, etc., etc., etc.

300,000 out of 600,000 Armenians who bravely fought the Nazis, perished in WWII, a war that wasn't even theirs. About 60 Armenian generals among who General Hovhannes Baghramian (Bagramyan), Admiral Hovhannes (Ivan) Isakov, Marshal Khanferiants, Gen. Hamazasp Babajanian, Gen. Barseghov, Gen. Galajev, Gen. Sarkiss Martirossian, Gen. Hyke Martirossian, Gen. Karapetian, Gen. Toumanian, Gen. Arushanian and others lent their military genius and were in the highest ranks of the Soviet Army. Armenians fought on all fronts from the Caucasus to Crimea, from Volga to everywhere in Eastern and Western Europe to the Far East, from Odessa to Japan, from Moscow to Stalingrad, from Kiev to Berlin where they were first to reach and were the only Soviet Army to do so.

The worst of all the Russians had done to us, to me equal to the Genocide of 1915, the treacherous bestial orgy between that Jew-Tatar ogre Lenin and the doenmeh Jew Kemal Ataturd, where 60% of the internationally recognized Armenian Republic of the day, minus the four Wilsonian vilayets, was offered to Turkey and fake "Azerbaijan", the reason for today's Artsakh issue, the reason for the Jugha destruction.

In our days, the Ring Operation with the help of the Soviet Russian army cost us Shahoomian and other districts north of Artsakh, because the Armenian soldiers could not shoot Russians, exactly the same way they could not shoot them back in the days of the fall of Kars. We lost Kars because the Armenians could not bring themselves to shoot the Russian soldiers...

Just imagine, had not the cunning Lenin-Kemal copulation taken place, Surmalu with Mount Ararat, Kars and Ani, Ardahan, Nakhijevan and Artsakh would be parts of today's Armenia and the genocide and war in our time wouldn't have happened. As time goes by we may increase our numbers although probably never as much as if there weren't the Genicide of only 1915 (not counting the whole nine centuries of Turkification, rape, Janissary recruitments and slaughter). How many years will we have to wait just to get the recognition of Artsakh? Will we ever get Nakhijevan back?

Just imagine, the Muslim Shah Abbas, forced my ancestors into Iran and burnt Jugha to cinders but he did not touch the khachkars, yet after the region fell under Russia, they destroyed about 5000 out of 10,000 of those and used it for the nearby railway construction.

Russians have never given a damn about the Armenians. Just like the British (in some cases even worse) they have grabbed every dagger lying around and have stabbed us in the back.

You mention that Lavrov is of Armenian origin. This is where we differ from the Jews. A Jew is much better than us. If they get a high position in a government, their priority is definitely Israel. Why can't Lavrov whisper in Putin's ear and tell him "the whole Artsakh issue is your doing. Undo the wrong by admitting you put us through this shit by offering Artsakh to fake "Azerbaijan""? Why no Russian official has ever mentioned this either?

After the recognition of Kosovo, Russia constantly "threatens" that they are going to recognize Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Transdniestr, but not a word about Artsakh! Unlike Abkhazia or South Ossetia that were not given to Georgia by the Russians but have their problems and disputes in history like the migration of their ancestors to Georgia, Artsakh and Nakhijevan were treacherously chopped off Armenia and to reinforce pan-Turkism, offered by the Bolshevik tsar of Russia to the hardly three year old Frankenstein monster counterfeited on Armenian territory in 1918.

Of course, don't forget that millions of specimens of sub-species of Turks live in Russia, Bashkirs and Uyghurs and Tatars and Balkars and Karakalpaks and I don't know what not besides the independent Central Asian countries, and the Russians have to take those into the equation as well. It is obvious we cannot come first given our limited numbers.

Remember how the Russians prevented that the Iranian pipeline be of a wider diameter so that the Iranian gas could be exported to the Black Sea basin countries and eventually Europe through Armenia and kind of neutralize the importance of Baku-Israel.

Remember how the Russians have bought Armenia and how the Russophile government of RoA has voluntarily sold it all to the Russians.

Remember the killing of countless Armenians by Russian skinhead racists. I can see what you mean by the hypothetical reactions of supremacists in the US and as I said I have lived in Europe for many years and have tasted their disgusting discriminatory attitude, but nothing like what's happening in Russia has ever happened there or in Iran and PLEASE, do not insult your intelligence to blame the Jews for this. As someone said elsewhere, they did not point a gun at the heads of those fascist skins to kill Armenians.

Remember what the "Azeris" did to Artsakh and Nakhijevan Armenians during 70 years of Soviet Sionist yoke in front of the watchful eyes of Soviet leaders, all this despite the enormous service Armenians did to the USSR.

Remember that Gorbachev must have been directly involved with the Sumgait genocide. It couldn't have been done without direct consent and most probably orders from Moscow...

Նժդեհ

Comment

Isn't it sad (or disgusting depending on how you look at it) how diasporans dictate what the Armenian natives should or should not do, or how they can or cannot live? I sometimes can't believe what I hear or see from people. It's amazing how unperceptive, nonobjective and how irrational many of us are, including those amongst us who are nationalists.

Hey, we fought them Azeris with hunting rifles and sling shots - we'll do it again!!!

Hey, we endured years of unemployment, starvation, no electricity, no heat, blockade war, disaster - we'll do it again!!!

Yeah man, fuck it we don't need help we'll unite and take over the Caucasus, then the world!!!

I am glad Armenians in Armenia, for natural reasons, don't think this way.

This is scary shit, nonetheless. In our national spectrum, these types of Armenians are the exact opposite of the self-hating ones like the Ara Baliozian types. However, I am not sure which kind is the more dangerous one for Armenia.

And this is why I say, when it comes to serious politics, fuck the people. Generally speaking, as with all the masses around the world, our people are worthless and useless as well. I am happy with who we have in power in Yerevan today. Our only hope is to keep the Hanrapetakan party in power and to keep the ARF involved in Armenian politics.

Originally posted by skhara
          Why do we have so many idealists rather than realists? Since Armenian isn't going to respond, I'll respond to just a few things in Hellektors post.

What? Bellorussia is going to pay the same as the Russia's domestic consumers will pay. Ukraine and Georgia is "bullish" after both these nations openly declare anti-Russian policy?

Why do you and several others have to state the obvious? Its good to "diversify" and no one is complacent about it. Armenia tried to go for just Iran-Armenia gas pipeline which turned into Armenia-Russia-Iran one. Its one thing to just talk and another altogether to name a specific and achievable milestone.

How long do you think the nation can stand the "most unbearable conditions"? How long do you think people can stand "the most unbearable conditions"? During that period, every Armenian who could get out did get out. And guess where they went? Russia.

Not at their domestic prices, and not "piles of junk".

For example? The billion dollar weapons transfer that empowered the brave Armenian fighters to secure Artsakh and create a buffer zone could have come from where else?

Fine. And in the meantime? Moreover, where do the raw materials come from to build those tanks and planes? Oh, and how about the fuel?

And as far the critisizm of what harm Russia has done to Armenia.

CORRECTION --

THE USSR - NOT RUSSIA. Russia not longer existed -- Russia was dead. Russia was defeated in the civil war between the whites and the reds.

With that said -- with all the harm that the USSR inflicted on Armenia, there is plenty of benefits that Armenia got as well. Such as turning villages into cities. Such as making it possible to keep turks out to maintain the demographic integrity of what was left of Armenia.

Why do so many think they know better than the current authorities.

Russians will behave in ways that are aggressive and cutthroat. Even towards their "loyal dog".

We don't like it? Ok -- or what?

Russia: you better include Artsakh as part of your threat next time or we'll.... or....or..... we'll sound more demanding next time?

I will say that there has been little negative from Armenias relations with Russia during the Czarist period and post Soviet period -- and there was both positive and negative from the Soviet period.
          Bravo

Just one more thing: Both the brave Armenians and the smart Armenians need empowerment to achieve what they achieved. An Armenian "invented" the mig because that Armenian had empowerment through higher education of the Soviet school, because that Armenian had funding and limitless resources of the USSR to design, to experiment, to trial, etc... And it doesn't matter how brave an Armenian is who is armed with a slingshot. Those brave Armenian fighters did what they did with assault rifles, machine guns, ammunition, tanks, and artillery.

Նժդեհ

Comment

What a disgusting outcome...

Instead of discussing what kind of an impact are Armenians of Turkey having on Armenia (which is largely negative), we are discussing whether or not Armenia needs Russia...

What a mentally fucked up bunch of people we are...

Do any of you here see why I say fuck the people, they are mostly worthless and useless?

Armenian nationalists, more specifically natives of Armenia who see the Russian Federation as the only option for Armenia, need to do what they have to do regardless of what the rest of the "people" say and do. And when the people get out of hand, you beat them bloody on the streets. Simple as that.

Aha! Here we go. Armenia has such options? Hmm.... Apparently no one in Armenia's government is aware of such options. So what's the scenario? Armenia declares to Russia: "We have other options" -- Russian's say: "Ok, go with god to your 'other options' ".
            What a suicidal scenario... The scary part is many patriotic, well-meaning Armenians in the diaspora have convinced themselves to this suicidal notion/fantasy that NATO (which includes Turkey by the way) or the US (which includes Israel) is an option against Russia for Yerevan.

I simply can't understand how the minds of these people operate.

You see the shit we as a nation are in?

On one side we have irrational/romantic nationalists like Hellektor and Gevork who think a tiny, landlocked, impoverished, resources-less nation surrounded by enemies can conquer the world simple by "uniting"...

On an other side we have the delusional, psychotic, mentally retarded morons and self-hating vermin like the Levonakans, Siamanto, freaky and Ara Baliozian types...

And on an other side we have the rest of the Armenian population, the vast majority, who are more-or-less careless about Armenia, or being Armenian...

When you juxtapose this picture to the troubling fact that Armenia today is a tiny, impoverished, resource-less nation surrounded by enemies - the resulting picture does not look too promising.

And precisely because of this scary picture I will look north towards Russia for salvation, even if it means I have to be subservient.

Actually, I posted that above -- the answer to that is "The Soviet Union". I don't see what "Russia" has to do with anything here. As "Armenian" pointed out -- the Bolshevik movement was more "Armenian" than it was Russian. Even more so, Georgian, and of course most significantly -- joo.
            Most people on earth will have a hard time not equating the Soviet Union with Russia. This is a result of seventy years of western propaganda against the Russian people. And this stems in the West's inherent fear of Russia's immense geopolitical military economic potential.

A little trivia:

A single entity, the Russian Federation, controls something like 10-15 percent of the total land mass on earth.

A single entity, the Russian Federation, controls something like 20-25 percent of the total natural resources on earth.

A single entity, the Russian Federation, stretches from Ocean to Ocean and is in the very center of the world's geopolitical epicenter, Eurasia.

You do the math...

Had Russian been as disciplined as Germans, or as organized as Americans, or as business minded as the British, or as restrained as the Chinese, they would have been the masters of the universe. Throughout history they have been unstable and problematic. Nevertheless, it seems as if they are slowly learning from their past mistakes. Thus, the panic in the West. We'll see. Baring another unforeseen calamity in Russia, the 21th century belongs to them.

It would be nice to have Armenia on their side, even if as a subservient republic.

So if you want to play "hardball" with moscow -- I am all years and would love to hear at least a sample scenario.
            Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how one looks at it - Armenia today is in absolutely no position to play "hardball" with Moscow. Such scenarios simply do not exist in the real world.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Transdniester wasn't really named as part of the threat. With regards to Abkhazia and S Ossetia: Georgia is completely on Moscow's sh*t list for one, so they'll press on them the most -- and these two territories are de-facto part of the Russian Federation whose populations are basically considered Russian citizens.
              Skhara, enker Hellektor and his type in the diaspora are 'conditioned' to expect lip service, nothing more. Don't forget that is how the West has treated Armenians. They essentially bullshit us to death. That is what they have been doing for decades. They tell us, they promise us, many nice things and we diasporan Armenians swoon.

While US and 'Iran' run away from the Armenian Genocide recognition issue the Russian Duma has actually recognized the Armenian Genocide. But since US give Armenians nice lip service we have individuals like Hellektor saying we need to "play tough" with Moscow and threaten them that we will join the US... Just think of how stupid this sounds on so many levels.

Hellektor, did you accuse Iran for betraying Armenia when Ahmadinejad ran away from paying a visit to the Genocide memorial in Tsitsernakapert? Or did you try to rationalize it and make excuses?

Have you thanked the Russians for recognizing the Armenian Genocide, even though they have a very-very lucrative trade with Turkey?

If we tell Russians - screw you we are joining the US, what if they say OK go ahead?

What then, comrade? Oh, I forgot. You have persuaded me that the Armenian nation is valiantly ready once again to courageously go through another ten years of no electricity, no gas, no oil, no allies, no work, no military, no jack shit.... And we are fully ready to mass produce armaments and spare parts for military hardware when the Azeri army invades Artsakh...

Another point: It would be totally STUPID of the Russian Federation if they openly showed favoritism towards Armenia's claim on Artsakh. First, it would cause a major international outcry. Abkhazia and Ossetia are essentially parts of the Russian Federation, Azerbaijan is not. Second, Russia has a very lucrative bilateral trade with Baku, one that is much-more lucrative that anything Moscow could expect from Armenia. It's bad enough that due to Moscow Baku can't retake Artsakh, Moscow does not want to rub salt in Azerbaijan's open wound.

Instead of seeking shallow lofty statements and promises, as all diasporan Armenians are conditioned to look for, they need to instead look for what is actually happening on the ground, in the real world in other words. Moscow has indirectly, through diplomats, political scientists, deputies and other specialist, have indicated that Artsakh is Armenian and any attempt by Azerbaijan to start a war against Armenia will result is the destruction of the Azeri military and economy.

I am ashamed that we are even discussing this issue. It seems as if even the best and brightest amongst us do not comprehend politics.

I want to post this again. Perhaps it might sink in this time around:

Hellektor, let's help official Baku realize their dream of breaking Russia away from Armenia. After all, Russians can't be trusted. They do kill Armenians on a weekly basis, no? We have been walking a fine line with them anyway. Let's put an end to it. I am sure the Kremlin would like the idea as well. After all, they have much more to gain from dealing with nations like Turkey and Azerbaijan than with a landlocked and impoverished Armenia. After thinking about it, I must say you are right, all Armenians should definitely leave Russia. We should then tell the Kremlin to go and xxxx themselves for all the shit they have pulled on us in the past. How dare they think about their national interests only and betray a lovely Christian people like us Armenians when the Bolsheviks came into power....

Without Russian interference we will then be able to form a powerful union with other major powers around the world. Perhaps with western or Israeli support we will be able to build an economic power house in the Caucasus. We can then convince Americans to form a military/economic union with us like they have done with Albanians and Israelis. Then with American help we will invade Azerbaijan and Turkey and reclaim our lands and force the world to recognize the Armenian Genocide.

You know what? To hell with the West and all the rest, I think we can do all of the above merely by ourselves.

We'll gather our dispersed nation in our homeland; we will unite all of our political establishments; we'll get Krkorian's Lindsay Foundation to finance a massive military buildup in Armenia; we'll get the AGBU to set up NGOs throughout Turkey and Azerbaijan and meddle in their domestic affairs; we'll then have tens of thousands of Parskahais, Fransahais and Amerikhais form special units and begin sabotaging Turkish and Azeri interests worldwide; we'll have all the Armenian businesses throughout the world move their operations into Armenia; we'll then thrust into Turkey and and join forces with valiant Greeks and Kurds in Ankara....

I'm telling you if we can only unite and break away from foreign influences we will become the - greatest - country in the world!!!

Hikmet Haji-zade: "To be our true friend Russia should reject support of Armenian aggression in Karabakh"

Day.Az interview with famous political scientist Hikmet Haji-zade.

-How do you assess current state of Azerbaijani-Russian relations?

Though a definite "calm and business-like tone" is observed in our relations from exterior, unfortunately, this is a deceptive impression. Russia continues to support Armenian aggressors and put pressure on Azerbaijan in different issue. For example, Russia demands from Azerbaijan to stop economic and political support to Georgia and weaken ties with the West and Turkey. On the whole, the situation is far from being ideal. Merely, unlike Georgie, Azerbaijan does not present offenses and claims towards Russia on the international arena and I think this policy is correct.

-Can we count on the cardinal closing of ties between Azerbaijan and Russia under the new President Dmitri Medvedev?

-The cardinal closing of ties between our countries can occur only when Russia rejects the support of Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan, which will also promote the resolution of the Karabakh conflict. Yet, it is not likely to occur soon. The Russian elite and society are at present in euphoria about the Putin policy in such issues and oil funds, the smallest part of which go to Russian budget officers and pensioners.

-But will Russia benefit more from relations with Azerbaijan or Armenia?

Everything depends on what Russia considers to be profitable for it. If following the USSR collapse Russia would have intended to become a democratic national state (as Turkey did following the collapse of the Osman empire) Azerbaijan would be a more favorable partner than Armenia. Unfortunately, the nostalgia about the empire have dominated other feelings and intentions and now, instead of learning to produce ars, Russia again prepares its old rockets. Russia does not want to maintain friendship, cooperate or trade, but it wants to rule! But it will not attain it, as world has changed and it is not so strong as previously.

-What do you think about the arguments, used by CSTO secretary general Nikolay Bordyuzha, who spoke of prospects, our country would have following its return to this organization?

-Nikolay Bordyuzha, speaking about the advantages of the CSTO, has not made a single comment about the Karabakh conflict. And it is not clear how we will cooperate in the sphere of security with such a member of the organization as Armenia, and Russia, by the way, which supports its aggression. Bordyuzha mentioned such spheres of interaction within the organization as a combat with drugs, illegal migration, cooperation in combat with calamities, but he said nothing of the main point! In his interview he had mentioned the word "NATO" several times, it seems that Russia is anxious about both Georgian membership in this organization and expanding cooperation of Azerbaijan with NATO. But who is to be blamed for the attempt of our countries and Ukraine to escape from Russia's pressing influence? I want to hope that the new president of Russia will think over this issue.

-By the way, let's talk again about the new president of Russia. A number of analysts and political scientists noted following Medvedev's being elected the President, that the Korean will start rejecting its empire ambition, stop hopping for restoration of its influence on the whole territory of the former USSR and support separatists, concentrating on the resolution of social internal problems. But now we observe intensification of the Crimea tatars in Ukraine, conflicts in South Ossetia and Abkhazia, raising of the Lezgiun issue in Azerbaijan. Does it mean that Medvedev, in fact, fulfills functions of a representative, leaving the power to the Prime Minister of Russia Putin?

-I also hope that Medvedev will change Russia's aggressive empire policy and I want to hope that if he decides to do it, he will not be alone, he will be supported by the world society; the currently silent liberals within the Russian government; and, by the way, a part of the militaristic elite of Russia can not disagree that Putin has caused Russia to quarrel with the remaining world and that it is time to moderate the intentions and deal with the urgent internal problems. Thus, it will be much easier for Medvedev that it may initially seem.

-Do you agree that the resolution of the UN General Assembly on support of right of refugees and displaced persons to return to their homes in Abkhazia adds to the optimism of the Azerbaijani and Georgian sides, striving for the peaceful resolution of existing conflicts both in South Ossetia and Abkhazia, as well as Nagorno Karabakh?

-Yes, I agree with it. Both Azerbaijan and Georgia should increase efforts in this direction. We should inform the world society about injustice to our peoples and the UN is an important tribune for execution of this task. I consider that most, reading this statement, will say that the UN is only a talking ship and everything depending on super states, which care only about their pockets. But today it is not like this. Not completely like this. Beginning from late 20th century, the community of the countries-voters for the government are becoming stronger and control their elite and public opinion usually contains more morals than the pragmatic policy of the governments. Each year the demand of voters for conduction of fair and moral internal and external policy become more effective. And we should appeal not only to super states and elite but also to world democratic society.

-Then why don't the GUAM countries develop a plan on private support of separatism in Russia in a response to Russia's actions towards the GUAM member-states?

-This is a difficult question. Initially GUAM countries seem not so strong to revenge Russia this way. But on the other side, if we recall the recent history, for example, the Chechen war, we have witnessed that in the mid 1990s both Azerbaijan and Georgia under Schevarnadze supported the Chechen fights for independence. Thousands of Chechens and Dudayev's representatives came in Baku. Schevarnadze helped them even more. But in the result, Russia suppressed the Chechen rebellion and putting a pressure on Azerbaijan, made it reject the active support of Chechens. It is unpleasant to recall it, considering the Azerbaijani-Russian relations. But who is to be blamed for it? Today Russian politicians, before speaking about our eternal friendship, should see the root of the problem. To become out true friend, Russia should reject its support to the Armenian aggression in Karabakh.

Source: http://www.today.az/news/politics/45136.html

Նժդեհ

Comment

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Any legitimate reason why you split this thread from the one in the Intellectual Lounge, spam king?
                Between childhood, boyhood,
                adolescence
                & manhood (maturity) there
                should be sharp lines drawn w/
                Tests, deaths, feats, rites
                stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER
                  (The contribution of Russian officers to the Armenian independence)

June 7 2002 by Hrant SARKISOV

May 26, 1918 marked a New Era for the Armenian people, era of Independence after more than five hundred years of subservient stateless existence. That day, the day of Battle of Sardarapat is the real Independence Day for Armenians. Therefore for us the words INDEPENDENCE and SARDARAPAT are nearly synonymous. Sardarapat is a small spot on the map of Armenia, spot that would have remained unnoticed if it hadn't become the symbol of the great victory, symbol of the glorious hour for Armenian nation, turning point in the modern Armenian history when we proved that we regain our capability to fight and win the battle. Sardarapat, village called in the name of wall built by the governor of a Persian province. Sardarapat… Sa – Ardar – Pat. This is a fair wall. So it sounds in translation from Armenian into English. Probably it was not just a coincidence that this battle took place exactly here. There is truth in it. Here people rose as a wall in the name of eternal truth, the freedom, in the name of life and independence. People remember their heroes. People remember everyone who stood shoulder to shoulder with the Armenians not sparing their life in the name of truth, and brotherhood. Speaking about Sardarapat let us first look at the theatre of operations where the miracle of Sardarapat became possible.

During the first world war Russia waged successful military campaign against Turkey on the Caucasian front. Before ceasefire concluded in December of 1916 many cities of Western Armenia, such as Van, Sarikamish, Erzerum, Trapizond, Artvin, Bayazet were liberated. A little more and the Turks would have surrendered. But the destiny disposed differently. After the October revolution bolsheviks who came to power signed the Brest-Litovsk separate treaty with Triple Alliance states according to which the Russian armies were withdrawn from Caucasus. Territories liberated by the Russian army were to be given back to Turkey.

Withdrawal of Russian troops from the Caucasian front (because of revolution more resembling exodus) began in December of 1917. That was putting Armenians in terrible situation when extended frontline got defenceless. The Armenian army corps had been urgently formed with the active assistance and participation of Russian officers and soldiers. Many of them stayed in Armenia helping to defend the country. For example, during the period of Erzinjan fights and the battle of Erzerum the command over the first Armenian infantry brigade was carried out by Russian army colonel Morel.

Despite the intense fights in the Western Armenia between Armenian forces and Turkish army Turks were rapidly advancing. Erzinjan fell on February 12, then followed Baiburt, and Erzerum. On February 24 Turks occupied Trapizond and Mamakhatun. The threat of Turkish invasion in Transcaucasia, beyond the line agreed in Brest-Litovsk Treaty, became very real. At that time Chicherin, Minister of foreign affairs of Russia, sent a telegram addressed to the German ambassador in Tiflis of the following content: "The Turkish army is advancing towards Batum, Kars, Ardahan, ravaging and killing the civilians. The responsibility for the further destiny of the Armenians is assigned to Germany, for the Russian armies were withdrawn from the Armenian areas at Germany's request. Now constraining the Turkish armies from usual excesses is up to Germany."

Policies of Transcaucasian Federation's government resulted in loss of Kars. The chairman of Transcaucasian Federative Democratic Republic's government Mr. Chkhenkeli ordered Lieutenant-General Nazarbekov, commander of the Armenian corps, hand over the city to the Turks without fight for all that the general himself was categorically against that decision as his armies had a real opportunity to repel Turks' attack and to keep Kars fortress area for more than a month. The objections of the commander of the corps were rejected, and the city and the fortress of Kars that had all resources to stand against the enemy at least for a month was given up with almost no resistance.

Then Turks occupied Alexandropol (Gyumri), and were advancing their large forces towards Karakilis and Erivan (Yerevan). The historical battle took place in the environs of Sardarapat, on the approaches to Erivan, where the Turks were stopped and defeated. The Russians, Greeks, Yezidis fought together with Armenians. The hastily formed First special horse regiment under the command of Sergeant-Major Zolotarev fought with a special courage. (In Cossack formations the rank of sergeant-major was equal to the rank of lieutenant-colonel). A famous Soviet commander Marshal Baghramian fought under Zolotarev's command who made Baghramian non-commissioned officer in the first squadron of the regiment. "He was an efficient, exigent and skilled commander", the marshal would write later about Zolotarev in his memoirs.

Under his command in the battle of Sardarapat the regiment successfully attacked the Turks from the limits of the Kerpalu (Arshaluis) and Kerdukli (Armavir) villages, and destroying Turkish detachments advanced to the Kamishlu (Eghegnut) railway station and liberated the village and Sardarapat railway station. Partisan infantry regiment that consisted of the Cossacks and Armenians under the command of Colonel Perekrestov distinguished in the battle of Sardarapat. The Cossacks caught the Turks by surprise suddenly appearing before them. Captain Shneur was appointed the Chief of staff of Sardarapat detachment. Together with the commander of detachment, General Daniel Bek-Pirumov, he directly participated in the battle.

One of the heroes of the campaign was General Movses Silikov, cadre general of tsarist army, and commander in chief of the Erivan group of the Armenian forces. Besides concentrating the main forces of the group in Sardarapat detachment he properly deployed them and ensured success of the whole campaign. Silikov, udin by origin, appealed to the Armenian nation calling all men and women to stand up for protection of their country.

Marshal of the Soviet Union Ivan Baghramian in his memoirs wrote about Silikov: "I can not pass over in silence the outstanding merits of Major-General Silikov in routing Turks in the environs of Sardarapat in the spring of 1918. I am strongly convinced that Silikov was the most gifted commander among the Armenian generals of that time. As other generals and the majority of senior Armenian officers, he did not know the Armenian language, and had no sufficient notion of the people, its fighting traditions and specific traits of the personnel in national army." Thanks to General Silikov the Sardarapat operation was carried out successfully.

Three hundred yezid horsemen led by Jahangir agha also contributed to the victory, as did two squadrons of Russians who participated in the battle of Sardarapat under the command of Zemliak. Captain Bort headed the Armenian detached shock regiment created in Alexandropol. General Baratov, Lieutenant-Colonels Spitsin, Kafiev, Efremovich, Khmelnitskiy, Khelminskiy, Kablitskiy, artilleryman Ensign Klich, Captain Sakellary and many other Russian officers also participated in the battle of Sardarapat. Groups of volunteers were formed not only in Armenia, but also in Russia. A regiment of 500-600 bayonets under the command of Colonel Samartsev, part of Andranik's division operating on Karakilis line, was sent to Khnus front.

Among those who arrived from Russia to fight against Turkish aggressors, there was also Siberian Armenian company. In March, 1918 in Tiflis Andranik took command over the company which later became a part of the Armenian detached shock regiment. Three brilliant Russian officers were among the staff of the company. Lieutenant Kolmakov, one of its commanders, wrote in detail about this company in the series of articles titled the "Historical Armenian company." Articles were published in 1919 in several issues of "Nashe Vremia" Baku newspaper. "It was a company of 210 Armenian prisoners of war, - writes Kolmakov,- voluntarily surrendered to us in fights with Turks and for unknown reasons evacuated by our government to Siberia, as if in gratitude for their sympathies to Russia." Kolmakov, a Russian patriot fond of the Armenian people and appreciating its fidelity to Russia voluntarily joined the company and arriving in Tiflis joined the formed regiment. Later he joined Andranik's detachment.

Kolmakov participated in many battles, he was fighting side by side with Andranik. He wrote: "Andranik's detachment was encircled, Turks had captured the railway station. It was extremely dangerous situation but someone had to stop Turkish attack and ensure the evacuation of civilians from Kazanchi, Shnshtap, Chiftali, Guyullibulakh and other villages where fierce fights were going. Andranik himself on a lathery horse headed the fight with a naked sabre. Having slightly reined in the horse, the general commanded: "Forward! Follow me! Hurrah!" And he galloped forward fearless as always. We followed him. The Turks rained bullets and shells, but that could not stop us: Andranik was with us. There was Turkish cavalry. It couldn't endure our raid and ran away in panic. Turks were defeated. But Andranik didn't pursue them for a horde of Turks still approached us both from the front and flanks. He ordered all villages to evacuate for our group of three thousand fighters had to occupy a part of the front several thousand versts wide".

The days of the battle of Sardarapat, Andranik's division took up the main thrust of the Turkish army protecting a part of Karakilis-Tiflis road. He held the forces of Vekhib pasha who was intending to transfer the forces to Sardarapat. The Armenian army had to repulse also newly formed Azerbaijan Republic attacks that hankered after the Armenian lands. It is necessary to note here the outstanding role of General Denikin. Azerbaijan and Georgia on June 16, 1919 concluded a treaty against Denikin's Voluntary army and Armenia. In reply Denikin concluded a secret military pact with Armenia. The Republic of Armenia with its forces formed the 7th corps of Denikin's army. On September 9, 1919 Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the South of Russia issued an order: "In view of hostile attitude of the Azerbaijan authorities to the Russian army and in view of perfidious encroachment of the Azerbaijan armies upon Armenia's lands I command all officers of the Russian service in the Azerbaijan Army to leave the ranks of that army."

In 1919 Armenia was supported practically only by the Voluntary army. Denikin sent to Erivan some arms from his poor stocks. The hope for restoration of united Russia didn't abandon the Armenians and the Dashnak government did its best to help Denikin's army. After gaining independence Armenia didn't receive the expected support from England, thus the idea of American support came to the fore. President Woodrow Wilson promised to help but the Senate counted up the possible expenses and decided that supporting Armenia would cost American tax-payers 151,2 mln pounds within 5 years. That was too costly, and in reply to Wilson's appeal to their humanism the senators answered: "We don't want to get involved in European affairs even for humanitarian reasons".

In 1920 after the defeat of the main forces of Denikin Army Armenia again remained face to face with the Turks. The indifference of the Entente states to the destiny of Armenia amazed Russian emigres. "Even Bolshevik Russia is a better protection for Armenia than their official patrons from the Entente", wrote Miliukov. History repeats and teaches us time and again. At the beginning of the century we were unable to reap the fruits of our victory. The events of 1917-1920 should make many our politicians look on current events with a different perspective. Similarities are striking. Those who fought and shed their blood for the Armenian independence forever will remain in the memories and the hearts of grateful Armenians. From generation to generation their names will exemplify the heroism, humanism, true brotherhood, and genuine internationalism.

Source: http://armenia.ru/

Նժդեհ

Comment

GEORGIA DISMAYED BY THE DEPLOYMENT OF RUSSIA'S RAILROAD CONSTRUCTION TROOPS IN ABKHAZIA
                    Alexander Gabuev

Kommersant
                    June 2 2008
                    Russia

Railroad Landing

Russia deployed its railroad construction troops in Abkhazia. Moscow
                    referred to the necessity to repair a railroad that'll link the
                    breakaway republic to Russia and its Olympic facilities of Sochi. In
                    its turn, Tbilisi regards Russia's maneuvers as "plotting a military
                    invasion." The USA immediately sided with Georgia. Nonetheless,
                    according to the information of Kommersant, the deployment of Russia's
                    units in Abkhazia may be a part of Moscow's preparation for a meeting
                    of Presidents Dmitry Medvedev and Mikhail Saakashvili planned for
                    this week.

Road to war

"With the pretext of restoring a trunk-railway in Abkhazia, Russia
                    conceals its preparation for a large-scale military operation aiming at
                    annexation and occupation of Georgia," stated Deputy Defense Minister
                    of Georgia Batu Kutelia. "We consider the activity of Russia as
                    another act of aggression directed against the territorial integrity
                    of Georgia. No doubt, the Russian party is consolidating the military
                    infrastructure to start a military intervention," Deputy Foreign
                    Minister of Georgia Grigol Vashadze echoed Mr Kutelia. "No one deploys
                    railroad construction troops on the territory of another state unless
                    a military intervention is plotted." Mr Vashadze reported that due to
                    the recent activity of Russia a 59th note of protest will be handed
                    over to Russia's ambassador to Georgia Vyacheslav Kovalenko. "In spite
                    of the fact that it's hard to find the Russian ambassador on occasions
                    like this, we'll find him, bring to the MFA and hand over the note,"
                    Mr Vashadze added with irritation.

It is Russia's deployment of its railroad construction troops in
                    Abkhazia, which Russia's Defense Minister announced Saturday, that
                    aroused the indignation of the Georgian government. "According to
                    the order of the President of the Russian Federation on rendering
                    assistance to the republic of Abkhazia, work on restoring railroad
                    lines and infrastructure has been started, where unarmed units
                    and machines of the Railroad Construction Troops of the Russian
                    Federation are engaged," reported the Ministry's Press-Service. In
                    other words, the military justified their activity with the orders
                    that Vladimir Putin gave to the government in April. By the way,
                    Thursday Commander-in-Chief of the Railroad Construction Troops
                    of the Russian Federation Lieutenant General Sergey Klimets stated
                    that his subordinates are ready to provide aid to Abkhazia "in case a
                    corresponding political decision is made." It means that the decision
                    to send Russian troops to Abkhazia was taken at the top level.

Yesterday Foreign Office Chief of the breakaway republic Sergey
                    Shamba told Kommersant that some 400 Russian military were deployed
                    in Abkhazia. However, Saturday Batu Kutelia stated that, apart from
                    the railroad construction soldiers, 500 Russian commandos landed in
                    Abkhazia. Curiously, on that day Russia's Defense Ministry reported
                    that a routine rotation of its peace-keepers was carried out in
                    Abkhazia from May 25 to May 30, with "the total number of those
                    replaced amounting to 500 people," which equals to the figure given
                    by the Georgian Defense Ministry's experts.

Tbilisi has already promised to rebuff "the Russian railroad
                    landing." "If Russia keeps on with that sort of activity, we'll
                    respond harshly to it," Batu Kutelia threatened and promised that the
                    international community will side with Georgia. A few hours later
                    State Department Spokesman Sean McCormack said, "The United States
                    is dismayed by Russia's Defense Ministry announcement on May 31 that
                    it intends to send more military forces into the Georgian region of
                    Abkhazia without the consent of the Georgian Government. We have
                    expressed our concerns to the Russian government and are in touch
                    with the Georgian government about this latest announcement of a
                    Russian military buildup," emphasized the American diplomat.

Road to Sochi

The authorities of Abkhazia explain the activity of Russia's Defense
                    Ministry with purely economic reasons. "There is no malicious intent
                    in it - many people want our railroad system to be restored, mainly
                    from economic considerations," Sergey Shamba told Kommersant. In
                    particular, from the Abkhazian Foreign Office Chief's viewpoint,
                    "one should take into consideration the forthcoming Olympics in Sochi
                    - the railroad can be of use when it comes to transporting cargoes
                    necessary for constructing Olympic facilities."

Interestingly, May 16 Governor of the Krasnodar region Alexander
                    Tkachev also mentioned the need to organize transportation of different
                    materials from Abkhazia by railroad. On that day Mr Tkachev signed
                    an agreement between his region and the breakaway republic about
                    supplies of building materials for Sochi. The governor believes that
                    it's more convenient to supply them from Abkhazia rather than from
                    other regions of Russia because the unrecognized republic is just 40
                    km away from the area where the facilities are erected.

These initiatives are supported by the Russian government as well. For
                    example, in March, as Moscow unilaterally lifted the sanctions against
                    the breakaway republic, Head of the Ministry for Regional Development
                    Dmitry Kozak said that Russia saw no hindrance to purchasing building
                    materials and hiring workers from Abkhazia for fulfilling the Sochi
                    project.

Yesterday Sergey Shamba told Kommersant that the Abkhazian authorities
                    hope that the restoration works at the railroad will be completed for
                    the most part in three months. Governor Tkachev planned to begin with
                    building materials supplies from Abkhazia to Sochi right at that time.

Road to the South Caucasus

For all that, the restoration of the railroad on the territory of
                    Abkhazia will allow Russia to gain much more than just a cheap
                    transportation route for shipping Abkhazian gravel and sand to
                    Sochi. Moscow has been repeatedly trying to repair the railroad
                    (which was destroyed in the course of the Georgia-Abkhazia conflict)
                    linking it with Georgia via Abkhazia: It will enable Moscow to have a
                    direct railroad communication with its key ally in the South Caucasus
                    - Armenia.

As far back as March, 2003 Moscow made its first attempt to do it - the
                    question of restoring the railroad became one of the key points during
                    the talks of Vladimir Putin and Georgia's president Eduard Shevardnadze
                    in Sochi. That time Russia and Georgia negotiated a bargain: Tbilisi
                    provided for a smooth transit between Russia and Armenia,
                    and Moscow
                    promised to thrash out with Sukhumi the matter of Georgian refugees'
                    returning to Abkhazia. These negotiations didn't stop even after the
                    Rose Revolution broke out, and May, 2006 the authorities of Russia,
                    Georgia, Armenia and Abkhazia even set up a consortium to restore the
                    railroad. But the escalation of tensions between Moscow and Tbilisi
                    in the autumn of 2006 prevented the plan from being realized.

According to the information of Kommersant, Moscow has been striving to
                    resume the talks about these agreements. For instance, Vladimir Putin
                    ordered that railroad communications be restored as he suspended his
                    ban on transport links with Georgia in April. Officials with Russian
                    Railways told Kommersant that the matter stalls because a large part
                    of a railroad line is missing from Sukhumi up to the Inguri river
                    that separates Abkhazia from Georgia. Sergey Shamba told Kommersant
                    that the mission of the Russian Railroad Construction Forces is to
                    repair this section - from Sukhumi to Ochamchira. Plenipotentiary
                    Representative of the Abkhazian President in the Gal region Ruslan
                    Kishmaria assured Kommersant that reparation will soon start.

According to Sergey Shamba, the question of the complete restoration
                    of the railroad and resumption of communications from Russia in the
                    Georgian and Armenian direction may be raised in the near future. The
                    sources of Kommersant with Russian Railways and Georgian railways
                    confirm it, too. Russian Railways experts are to go to the site soon
                    to give their estimate of the complexity of works and the investments
                    required. Head of Georgian Railways Irakli Ezugbai assesses the program
                    of restoring the Abkhazian railroad infrastructure at $241 mln. Sergey
                    Shamba told Kommersant that so far the Russian government sponsors
                    the works, but Sukhumi doesn't rule out the possibility of engaging
                    Tbilisi and Yerevan in the project once devised by the consortium.

The talks about restoring the railroad from Russia to Abkhazia are
                    likely to focus on other issues as well. "The Georgian government
                    can agree to do it only in exchange for significant dividends, say,
                    repatriation of Georgian refugees to the North of the Gal region,
                    or lifting the Russian embargo of Georgian goods," opines Georgian
                    political analyst Nika Imnaishvili. Besides, the agreements must
                    provide for the security of the route, especially at the Abkhazian
                    sector. It means that Moscow, Tbilisi and Sukhumi will have to conclude
                    a package agreement. Head of the Georgian Parliament Committee for
                    the Restoration of the Country's Territorial Integrity Shota Malashhia
                    confirmed it to Kommersant that Tbilisi insists on a package agreement.

According to the information of Kommersant, many issues that are
                    to be included in it have been under discussion, for example, peace
                    guarantees in Abkhazia and repatriation of refugees. A personal meeting
                    of Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev and his Georgian counterpart
                    Mikhail Saakashvili must become a key point in the coordination of the
                    matter. The meeting has been planned for June 6 in the framework of
                    the CIS summit in St.-Petersburg. To make all necessary preparations
                    for it, Deputy Russian Security Council Head Yury Zubakov visited
                    Tbilisi last week. The diplomat is responsible for settling disputes
                    on the territory of the former Soviet Union. Another testimony
                    of the parties' ability to come to an agreement has been Vladimir
                    Putin's unexpectedly high estimate of the Georgian President's plan
                    on resolving the Abkhazian conflict. In his interview to the French
                    Le Monde, Russia's president said, "I hope that the plan proposed by
                    Mikhail Saakashvili will be carried out, slowly but surely. On the
                    whole, it's a good plan."

Comment

Working...
                    X