Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Does Russian/Slavic Tribe Of Molokans Still Live In Armenia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Russian/Slavic Tribe Of Molokans Still Live In Armenia?

Hello, everyone!

I think a small number of them still live in Fioletovo, Armenia. But how many?
    Does anyone know? Did anyone of the forum members ever meet the Molokans before?

The very subject of the history of the Molokans is pretty interesting, so I hope there will be an interesting discussion here.

NP

Re: Does Russian/Slavic Tribe Of Molokans Still Live In Armenia?

From Onnik Krikorian:

Fioletova, Armenia
    Hi,

I don't have any news or info to add about Molokans in Armenia but I've just returned from Fioletovo and although didn't get many photos taken because of the weather but also, because most of the villagers did not want their photos taken, I thought I'd send them on. You're free to use them for educational and not-for-profit purposes.

Cheers,
    Onnik Krikorian

The Molokans (Russian: Молока́не) are a "Biblically-centered" religious movement, among Russian peasants (serfs), who broke away from the Russian Orthodox Church in the 1550s. Molokans denied the Czar's divine right to rule and rejected icons. They also reject the Trinity as outlined by the Nicene Creed, the Orthodox fasts, military service, the eating of unclean foods, and other practices, including water baptism.

The name "Molokan" was used for the first time in the 1670s, in reference to the people who ignored the 200 fasting days, drinking milk (moloko = "milk" in Russian). Molokans themselves did not completely reject the name—even adding words like "drinking of the spiritual milk of God" (according to I Peter 2:2, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation").

Heretics were punished in Czarist Russia. Beatings, torture, kidnapping, imprisonment, banishment, dismembering, killing, and other forms of punishment were inflicted upon those called "Spiritual Molokans". In the 1800s, the government's policy was to send the heretics away from the center of the country into Caucasus, especially Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine, central Asia, and Siberia. In 1833, there was a reported outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon a number of Molokans in the Transcaucasus region.

At the end of the 19th century, there were about 500,000 Molokans within the Russia empire. Before World War I there was a well-known colony of Molokans that had been exiled to the Caucasus (an area long within Russian hegemony), mainly to what is now Armenia, Azerbaijan, and eastern Turkey (Kars plain).

Pictures from History of Caucasian Molokans and Dukhobors
    by Ivan Iakov. Semyenov, Erevan 2001

Fioletovo, Armenia

Home of Maksim Gavrilovich Rudometkin in the village of Fioletovo.

Molokans in the village of Fioletovo, Armenia

Graves of the ancestors (village of Fioletovo) [Called domiki, little houses, these have hinged covers to protecct the inscription.]

Village street

Future homemakers.

http://molokane.org

Expelled from the homeland

[October 20, 2004]

"We didn't accept their dirty customs, the commandments of their Church. And so they expelled us," 95-year-old Ivan Nikolayevich tells us the story of the Molokans. The residents of the village of Fioletovo in the Lori Marz hold the customs of their ancestors sacred and follow their religious teachings. Because of these teachings, a number of families from the Tambov region of Russia were expelled by Czarina Catherine the Second more than two centuries ago. God guided them towards the Biblical Mount Ararat. The northern region of Armenia appealed to them; they settled here and established a seven-family community. They built houses, began to work the land, and took root themselves in the foreign land. A commander named Nikitin who was serving in a nearby military unit gave considerable help to the Russians who had been expelled from their homeland. In return, they immortalized him by naming their settlement Nikitin. During the Soviet era, the village was renamed in honor of a revolutionary, Fioletov.

Last edited by North Pole; 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by North Pole View Post
      Does anyone know? Did anyone of the forum members ever meet the Molokans before?
      I had the pleasure of meeting a few Molokans several years ago in Yerevan. They were working as construction laborers near the Yerevan Opera house. I noticed them because of their none-Armenian "look," they were tall, blond with pinkish/redish skin. I approached their foremen asking who and/or what they were and he said they were Molokans. I got to exchange a couple of words with them in Armenian, but that was about it. They seemed very reserved and serious. I felt as if I was disturbing their solitude. After they went about their work assignment their foremen told me that in Yerevan construction contractors like hiring Molokans because they are known to be very hardworking and very honest.
      Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
        I had the pleasure of meeting a few Molokans several years ago in Yerevan. They were working as construction laborers near the Yerevan Opera house. I noticed them because of their none-Armenian "look," they were tall, blond with pinkish/redish skin. I approached their foremen asking who and/or what they were and he said they were Molokans. I got to exchange a couple of words with them in Armenian, but that was about it. They seemed very reserved and serious. I felt as if I was disturbing their solitude. After they went about their work assignment their foremen told me that in Yerevan construction contractors like hiring Molokans because they are known to be very hardworking and very honest.

I suprised the guy knew Armenian, many (at least in the older generation) don't learn Armenian as they don't venture too far and majority of Armenians understand and/or speak Russian. They're like the amish of Armenia.

My cousin served in the army about 7 years ago and in his platoon was a Molokan Russian guy, anyways they are still pretty good friends I met him two years ago, he is nice guy, other than that I've never been to their villages.
        For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
        to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
          I suprised the guy knew Armenian, many (at least in the older generation) don't learn Armenian as they don't venture too far and majority of Armenians understand and/or speak Russian. They're like the amish of Armenia.
          I think there was four or five of them. They were young/middle age. And they did seem to speak some heavily accented Armenian, very basic Armenian. I only got to exchange a few words with them. They looked serious and did not seem to be very talkative.
          Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
            I approached their foremen asking who and/or what they were and he said they were Molokans. I got to exchange a couple of words with them in Armenian, but that was about it. They seemed very reserved and serious. I felt as if I was disturbing their solitude.
            They are:

These refugees are totally unlike other refugees. The do not complain. They speak of the shootings and their anxieties when asked, but do not blame or curse anyone. I never heard them repeat that traditional refrain that Russia has deserted them. They are most grateful for any help give. That Russia or Armenia owes them anything is not part of their mentality.

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
            They're like the amish of Armenia.
            True. But they drive cars....

Comment

Working...
            X