Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    I disagree. I think such a radar system makes Armenia stronger strategicaly. The back n forth diplomavy between Russia and EU/USA has worked well for us but there was never any doubt about who our strategic partner is. A effective radar system on armenian soil will increase our strategic importance to the Russian Federation thus gueranteeing further frustration for the turks on both our borders. Deepening ties with Russia is a good thing.
    Well...the 102nd military base in Gyumri makes Armenia stronger strategically. What you are saying is allowing such a radar will further advance Armenia in Russia's good graces. Which is true, however there should be a cost-benefit analysis: the benefit is that we further endear Russia, but the cost is that we allow a foreign (albeit friendly) country to tighten their hold on Armenia. With Gyumri base it was worth it, with this radar I'm not sure....

Originally posted by Sarkis86 View Post
    I agree with Haykakan. The more Russia invests or has invested in Armenia, the better for Armenia because it will give Russia further reasons to ensure Armenia's survival. And especially with an immobile key piece of military infrastructure like this radar being discussed. Particularly as Russia's primary concern has always been to strengthen her capabilities in defending her vast territories, which necessitates advanced and far flung radars to foresee hostile activities as early as it can.

And we need more strategic foresight: strengthening Russia's position in the Caucasus, Caspian and Middle East is to our great benefit, as it automatically weakens turkish and azerbaijani positions there. turkey and azerbaijan are primitive and barbaric entities, they only understand the language of strength and weakness. Further, if turkey feels the Bear gaining strength in the Middle East it will increase turkish fears about meddling in Syrian affairs, which benefits Armenia-friendly Syria and the large and important Armenian community in Syria.
    There is a difference between Russia requesting for Armenia to host the station, and Armenia taking the initiative. Of course, if Russia asks Armenia is in no position to reject. However, I believe that for Ohanyan to make such preemptive statements is unbecoming for a sovereignty nation.

Besides, do you really think that Russia's involvement if a conflict with Turkey/Azerbaijan starts will be changed if there is a radar station in Armenia?
    Last edited by davidoga; 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

which Armenia should not involve itself in.
      You are making the assumption that if you don't house this radar, we will not be on a sh!t list. You are making a mistake in thinking we are not on a sh!t list already. And any political gains you might think will get are just vapor, this is in addition to losing a strategic asset.

Comment

Originally posted by Vahram View Post
        You are making the assumption that if you don't house this radar, we will not be on a sh!t list. You are making a mistake in thinking we are not on a sh!t list already. And any political gains you might think will get are just vapor, this is in addition to losing a strategic asset.
        Originally posted by davidoga View Post
        There is a difference between Russia requesting for Armenia to host the station, and Armenia taking the initiative. Of course, if Russia asks Armenia is in no position to reject. However, I believe that for Ohanyan to make such preemptive statements is unbecoming for a sovereignty nation.
        Read my posts before making such stupid statements.

Comment

Read my posts before making such stupid statements.
          Get a grip on reality please!

for Ohanyan to make such preemptive statements is unbecoming for a sovereignty nation.
          So Armenia can't offer Russia it's Ok without loosing sovereign status?

Anything that brings tangible benefits to both nations is OK
          What about our sovereignty now? Can't have it both ways, please have some coffee, you are getting tripped up by your own words. Fact of the matter is Armenia is trying to reassure Russia that it has no issue with such a move. This is not the first time this has been said, this is not going to be the last time it has been said. Face it, I know you don't like it because of some mixed up ideology you have, but hard facts are on the ground.
          Last edited by Vahram; 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Get a grip on reality please!

So Armenia can't offer Russia it's Ok without loosing sovereign status?

What about our sovereignty now? Can't have it both ways, please have some coffee, you are getting tripped up by your own words. Fact of the matter is Armenia is trying to reassure Russia that it has no issue with such a move. This is not the first time this has been said, this is not going to be the last time it has been said. Face it, I know you don't like it because of some mixed up ideology you have, but hard facts are on the ground.
            No, I don't like you because you make personal insults and ramble incoherently. Nothing that I have said is contradictory. If Russia wants the radar station to be in Armenia, it should be the one to make that request and Armenia can and should accept. However, for the Defense Minister to offer a foreign nation to host a military installation which Armenia has no control over is inappropriate. There is a difference between the two approaches to the issue.

Comment

So I guess you have to teach the Armenian defense minster his job! After all were you not the same person a few months back who was going to teach the Armenian president his job?

If Russia is paranoid after loosing the radar station in baboonistan, it is exactly the right time to reassure them that they are welcome in Armenia. These are the obvious things you miss in understanding reality. You are a champ at contradiction! Whatever the Armenian authorities state something, you state the opposite...LOL

Comment

So I guess you have to teach the Armenian defense minster his job! After all were you not the same person a few months back who was going to teach the Armenian president his job?

If Russia is paranoid after loosing the radar station in baboonistan, it is exactly the right time to reassure them that they are welcome in Armenia. These are the obvious things you miss in understanding reality. You are a champ at contradiction! Whatever the Armenian authorities state something, you state the opposite...LOL
                As far as I understand this is an Armenian defense forum, not a "Oh, look how nice the Sargsyan administration is" forum. Russia knows they are welcome in Armenia. There reservations have nothing to do with Armenia's opinion on the matter.

I literally have nothing more to say to you. My sole point is the one in #12125.

Comment

Merit on both sides of the argument but in my opinion --- we do not sell, trade, or bargain our country ---
                  Russia is our number ONE friend in the world of people.
                  We are not only good for - Russia's - southern defense, we are Armenia.
                  There is a difference between being "Russia's pawn" and being Russia's "Friend".
                  To be in "essence" a Russian county or state is not the goal and should not be the goal.
                  The Russian buying, owning etc. on large scale of Armenian assets, in my opinion is bad news. It should not be the goal.
                  From the signals I'm hearing , it sounds promising.
                  This last --- knowledge --- transfer said to me they ( Russia ) has taken a clear decision to show more RESPECT to Armenia.
                  The Russian awareness of who is steadeadfast and sincere (and) who is the self centered, cut throat, game player, has clearly come to the fore of the Russian conscience.
                  If Russia is our true friend , they will not try to own everything in Armenia, but strengthen their hard pressed friend by making it possible for his friend to get up off the ground.
                  Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by davidoga View Post

Besides, do you really think that Russia's involvement if a conflict with Turkey/Azerbaijan starts will be changed if there is a radar station in Armenia?
                    There are probably a lot of details and behind the scenes negotiations that we are not aware of. I doubt such statements would be thrown around haphazardly by the Defense Ministry, and I doubt that Armenia would chose to convey an important decision such as this by letting the Russian leadership "hear about it on the news".

And like I said, the more valuable Armenia becomes, the more insurance we have. I personally hope that this project becomes a reality.

On a final note, imagine how the azeris will react to their own stupidity and overvaluation of their own positions if their former trump card, Gabala, is replaced by a superior facility in Armenia!

Comment

Originally posted by samvel1982 View Post
                      [ATTACH]2643[/ATTACH]
                      Very interesting .... near Stepanakert.....What's that? S-300 division???
                      Not sure about S-300 but that does look like an air defense station....and well fortified.
                      Cool
                      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                      X