Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by Federate View Post
    Official reports more fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh

BAKU, Azerbaijan: More than 20 Azerbaijani and Armenian soldiers have been killed in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh since July, an Azerbaijan government official said Thursday. Armenia disputed the claim.

Eldar Sabirogly, a spokesman for the Azerbaijan defense ministry, said at least 15 Armenian soldiers died during that period. He said the number of Azerbaijani soldiers was about half that number.

However, officials with Armenia's defense ministry said that Armenia had lost no soldiers during that period. Officials in Nagorno-Karabakh, which lies within Azerbaijan, also said their forces had seen no losses.

Both sides routinely accuse the other of breaking a cease-fire and try to highlight one another's military losses.

Armenian and ethnic Armenian forces drove Azerbaijan out of Nagorno-Karabakh in one of the bloodiest conflicts of the post-Soviet era. Some 30,000 people were killed and about 1 million were driven from their homes before the cease-fire was reached in 1994.

The lack of resolution on the region's status has held up development in the strategic South Caucasus region and raised fears of a new war between the two countries.

From http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...an-Armenia.php
    This might be Baku's way of letting out the information (little by little)concerning the operations in Martakert (The one Armenian brought to our attention).

If Baku was honest, they would have reported that 20,000 hectres of land had been caputured by Armenian forces anf hundreds of Azeri soldiers have been killed.

...expect more of these articles in the near future as Baku tries to mask the loss through peice-meal and dishonest reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
      This might be Baku's way of letting out the information (little by little)concerning the operations in Martakert (The one Armenian brought to our attention).

If Baku was honest, they would have reported that 20,000 hectres of land had been caputured by Armenian forces anf hundreds of Azeri soldiers have been killed.

...expect more of these articles in the near future as Baku tries to mask the loss through peice-meal and dishonest reporting.
      I was thinking the same thing when I read this same bogus reports this morning. Here is the Azeri's feeble reaction to what was probably a significant battlefield loss.

Comment

Originally posted by RSNATION View Post
        I was thinking the same thing when I read this same bogus reports this morning. Here is the Azeri's feeble reaction to what was probably a significant battlefield loss.
        This article actually made me happy because it indirectly confirms (through blatant Azeri spin) Armenian's news.

I guess it won't be long now before the facts on the ground are told to the general public.

Comment

If you read between the Lavrov's diplomatic lines, you can see that his underlying message is that Abkhazia and S. Ossetia can be a precedent for NKR if Azerbaijan decides to act militarily.
          His message is actually a stern warning to Baku...i.e., attack NKR and Russia will recognize it's independence.

...pretty crafty!

RECOGNITION OF ABKHAZIA AND SOUTH OSSETIA NOT PRECEDENT FOR KARABAKH, MOSCOW SAYS

The recognition by Russia of Georgia’s Abkhazia and South Ossetia as independent states does not set a precedent for other post-Soviet breakaway regions, the foreign minister said on Thursday. Sergei Lavrov said that unlike Georgia, other ex-Soviet states involved in territorial disputes do not plan to use military force to resolve them. "There can be no parallels here," he said. Moscow said its counterattack following Georgia’s offensive to retake South Ossetia in early August and the subsequent recognition of the two breakaway regions’ independence were its moral duty and necessary to protect them from possible new acts of aggression. The majority of Western states have sided with Tbilisi in the dispute, and strongly criticized Russia. "Russia will actively promote a peaceful solution to all the conflicts in the CIS [Commonwealth of Independent States] in line with international law and UN Charter principles," he said. "We will pursue our mediation in peace talks, including over Transnistria and Nagorno Karabakh." "None of the sides engaged in the Nagorno Karabakh and Transnistria talks have nurtured plans to violate international law, existing agreements, the settlement format and to bomb civilians and peacekeepers," Lavrov said, RIA Novosti reports.

Comment

which is why I didn't note anything insulting to Armenia about his statement that was criticized by us earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
              which is why I didn't note anything insulting to Armenia about his statement that was criticized by us earlier.
              We all have to get better at reading between the lines when it comes to geopolitical speak.

Comment

exactly, it's all very diplomatic stuff, it has to be seen as such. The clauses in the statements are essentially multidimensional, so long as the speaker behind them has the balls to make them so.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
                  If you read between the Lavrov's diplomatic lines, you can see that his underlying message is that Abkhazia and S. Ossetia can be a precedent for NKR if Azerbaijan decides to act militarily.
                  His message is actually a stern warning to Baku...i.e., attack NKR and Russia will recognize it's independence...pretty crafty!
                  Generally speaking, all political statements have to be read in between lines. The Russian Federation has not (yet) signaled any anti-Armenian stances. Everything that the Kremlin has done in the Caucasus since the collapse of the Soviet Union has benefited Armenia, at times directly, other times indirectly. And regarding Artsakh, Moscow has always said that the "territorial integrity" of a nation and a "people's right of self-determination" were both recognized by international law and one should not be elevated over the other. But no, that's not good enough for us, we want them to bomb Baku! It's very sad that we as a people (similar to most other peoples) don't have a healthy understanding of the mechanisms behind politics. And a lot of times Armenian reaction to complicated political situations is very 'Jew' like in character.

Case in point: Consider our reaction here to Lavrov's stance regarding the political status of Artsakh, and Russia Today's report regarding the history Artsakh. Since Moscow did not express great love and admiration for the Armenian nation, our patriots insulted, attacked and criticized Moscow for "betraying" Armenia and for being "anti-Armenian". One even went as far as saying - even Azeris don't fabricate such lies about Armenians...

Time and again, I find myself explaining to Armos - If they (in this case, Russian officials) don't worship us, it does not mean they want us dead.

Let's stop acting like a bunch of whiny Jews.

Some people also always bring up 1921 as a case against Russia. Besides the fact that what happened then was not the work of Russia (it was Bolshevism and ethnic Russian suffered most under Bolshevism), signs that the Armenian Republic was doomed was very clear. Moscow had on its hand a nation that was utterly worthless and hopeless. Other than several thousand poorly equipped soldiers, no significant military force existed in Armenia; no economy whatsoever existed in Armenia; the population in Armenia was severely impoverished; there was less than a million inhabitants in the entire country, half of whom were refugees from Western Armenia; chronic disease and starvation was rampant throughout the country; landlocked; tiny; friendless; Armenia had no natural wealth...

It was xxxxing obvious the country would not last long with those qualifications, especially in the Caucasus.

Had I been one of the Bolshevik officials at the time trying to win over Turkey (and Azerbaijan) I would have also sacrificed Armenia without even giving it much thought. It was a smart move on the part of the Bolsheviks, but it backfired on them when Ataturk made a deal with western powers instead. If one observed Armenia's geopolitical and socioeconomic situation prior to 1921, it would have been very obvious that Armenia as a nation was utterly worthless, thus disposable.

Compared to the Armenia of 1921, today's Armenia is a superpower. Unlike in 1921, Armenia today has a very capable military. Unlike in 1921, Armenia today has managed to defeat its enemies both on the battlefield and in international diplomacy. Unlike in 1921, Armenia today plays a pivotal role in regional politics. Unlike in 1921, Armenia today plays a significant role in Russian politics. Unlike in 1921, Armenia today does have an economy. Unlike 19921, Armenia today has a signification support base in the diaspora. Unlike 1921, Armenia today does have international friends. Geopolitical conditions that existed in 1921 do not exits today.

So, let's stop comparing what happened to Armenia back in 1921 with what is occurring today. Anyway, I'm am just trying to point out our severe political immaturity.

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                  And I got criticized for being an obsessive Russophile...

I am glad you dudes are beginning to better assess the nature and character of international diplomacy.
                  Last edited by Armenian; 09-18-2008, 10:49 AM.
                  Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm glad that you're one of the mentors for this around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                      Generally speaking, all political statements have to be read in between lines. The Russian Federation has not (yet) signaled any anti-Armenian stances. Everything that the Kremlin has done in the Caucasus since the collapse of the Soviet Union has benefited Armenia, at times directly, other times indirectly. And regarding Artsakh, Moscow has always said that the "territorial integrity" of a nation and a "people's right of self-determination" were both recognized by international law and one should not be elevated over the other. But no, that's not good enough for us, we want them to bomb Baku! It's very sad that we as a people (similar to most other peoples) don't have a healthy understanding of the mechanisms behind politics. And a lot of times Armenian reaction to complicated political situations is very 'Jew' like in character.

Case in point: Consider our reaction here to Lavrov's stance regarding the political status of Artsakh, and Russia Today's report regarding the history Artsakh. Since Moscow did not express great love and admiration for the Armenian nation, our patriots insulted, attacked and criticized Moscow for "betraying" Armenia and for being "anti-Armenian". One even went as far as saying - even Azeris don't fabricate such lies about Armenians...

Time and again, I find myself explaining to Armos - If they (in this case, Russian officials) don't worship us, it does not mean they want us dead.

Let's stop acting like a bunch of whiny Jews.

Some people also always bring up 1921 as a case against Russia. Besides the fact that what happened then was not the work of Russia (it was Bolshevism and ethnic Russian suffered most under Bolshevism), signs that the Armenian Republic was doomed was very clear. Moscow had on its hand a nation that was utterly worthless and hopeless. Other than several thousand poorly equipped soldiers, no significant military force existed in Armenia; no economy whatsoever existed in Armenia; the population in Armenia was severely impoverished; there was less than a million inhabitants in the entire country, half of whom were refugees from Western Armenia; chronic disease and starvation was rampant throughout the country; landlocked; tiny; friendless; Armenia had no natural wealth...

It was xxxxing obvious the country would not last long with those qualifications, especially in the Caucasus.

Had I been one of the Bolshevik officials at the time trying to win over Turkey (and Azerbaijan) I would have also sacrificed Armenia without even giving it much thought. It was a smart move on the part of the Bolsheviks, but it backfired on them when Ataturk made a deal with western powers instead. If one observed Armenia's geopolitical and socioeconomic situation prior to 1921, it would have been very obvious that Armenia as a nation was utterly worthless, thus disposable.

Compared to the Armenia of 1921, today's Armenia is a superpower. Unlike in 1921, Armenia today plays a pivotal role in regional politics. Unlike in 1921, Armenia today plays a significant role in Russian politics. Unlike in 1921, Armenia today does have an economy. Unlike 19921, Armenia today has a signification support base in the diaspora. Unlike 1921, Armenia today does have international friends. Geopolitical conditions that existed in 1921 do not exits today.

So, let's stop comparing what happened to Armenia back in 1921 with what is occurring today. Anyway, I'm am just trying to point out our severe political immaturity.

And I got criticized for being an obsessive Russophile...

I am glad you dudes are beginning to better assess the nature and character of international diplomacy.

Well said!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X