Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

University Applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University Applications

Yeah I'd imagine that's how it is with programs which have a low number of applicants.

Comment

*shrug* If a hundred or so is low. The relationship with the faculty and student and the investment in the student is different too, so making the right choice might be more important as well.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

It depends on the school and the numbers I'm sure but most large universities (for example SC) get so many applications that they can't afford to wait to process them. They have to keep screening as the apps come in. Now I'm not sure about SC but from my experience, things typically get piled into 3 categories:

1. Obvious accept .. in which case there is no need to wait.
        2. Obvious reject ... goes straight into garbage.
        3. Accept if there is room.

Sometimes the very selective grad programs will give offers to the good candidates with a deadline to respond. If they don't decide to come, then they will go ahead and send another round of offers to a set from the #3 stack. But if all good students wait till the last day, you never know ... maybe you'll get an acceptance offer even if you are not the most spectacular candidate but are in the system waiting

Also keep in mind that admissions are not usually an exact science .. it may very well be that someone will look at an app and dismiss it as garbage, while another in the same department may look at it and consider it ok. But usually the stellar apps stand out so there's not much controversy over those ... but it still happens.

Another thing that goes on also is that some mid- to highly-ranked schools may pass up on the super candidates for scholarship or research assitantship positions because they may be under pressure to fill those spots ... the problem is that if you send an offer to a SUPER candidate, chances of that candidate accepting and coming to a mid- to highly ranked school is not so good... that super candidate is probably going to go to a TOP ranked school Strange but it does happen.

So point of story is every school will be different but if possible, apply early and make yourself stand out in every which way. And most importantly, follow ALL application directions very carefully .. you don't want to end up in the #4 pile of "incomplete app".
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Ok while I'm in a rambling mood .. the other super critical issue is rec letters ... don't know if your apps require recommendation letters but they can really make or break you. The problem is, most people that don't read/write such letters often don't know how they are supposed to write them.

As someone who has read tons of recommendation letters and written quite a few in my day, I can tell you that there is never really a "bad" letter. They are all good. Afterall, no one is forcing anyone to write a letter. However, a good letter will rarely help. You have to have GREAT or AMAZING letters. The wording has to be very over-the-top. So if you get a work manager to write a letter that says "oh he is a good guy and he is always on time and very dependable etc etc" then that letter will essentially be worthless (and at times hurt your chances).

You need letters that say "WOW this guy is the most amazing guy I have seen in my so many years of doing whatever I am doing. He is so spectacular that he is set to become a superstar in this and that field ..." etc .. you get the point. Also it really helps when they compare like: "This guy is among the top 3% of people I have ever encountered" or something like that

So if you are going to ask anyone for letters, if possible, make sure they are going to write a VERY strong letter and not just a "good one".
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Great point about the rec letters Sip. It's really important b/c it's hard to sing all your praises yourself in your personal statement. Haha...

I'd disagree though, there are definitely bad letters. They need to be honest in the letter and the majority of the time (all of the time for me) you are asked to waive your right to see the letter and it gets sent sealed and signed over the flap or it's sent separately from your app. You need to be careful to ask someone who is going to be able to write a good letter because they're not going to lie. Some are nice enough to tell you to ask someone else because they won't be able to write you a strong letter.

Early admissions still came after the deadline for pysch programs, but I think for undergrad or huge programs they might take some before. The app for my current program was due like mid-Jan and I got a phone call early Feb which is reaaaally early. We usually hear back in mid-late March. There was a deadline to accept or reject. It was April 15 I think.

But again I think grad programs are different because the individual prof that will be the adviser will usually select his own student(s). It makes sense in that case to wait until all of them are in to get the best student, but also the best match in research interests.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Grad programs are different but I believe these are rolling admissions.

I need three letters of recommendation. I'm going to ask my film professor who is Chairman of the Film Department -- as good as it gets. I was also going to ask the owner of a production company I worked for. Since he was once a film student and owns his own company now, I thought that may be a good idea. Third one, still debating.

What do I tell them? Especially, the professor. "Make sure it's absolutely amazing!"?

Comment

Just make sure the people you ask have worked w/ you enough one on one to be able to say more than... yeah he's a good student, he was on time, etc. That sounds very cookie cutter. Of course some of them may write that way anyhow (1 of my profs was notorious for this, but I needed a letter from him because I'd taken 3 classes w/ him TAed for him 3x). I did have 2 strong letters so it turned out to be okay).
                Ask them if they would be able to write a positive letter of recommendation. Just be up front if you have a good relationship with them. Say if you don't think you'd be able to write a strong letter, then please let me know so I can ask someone else. Otherwise, if you're worried they might be offended by that, then just ask if they'd write a letter and leave it at that. Most (especially academics) know you don't want one if it's going to be negative.

Make sure you give them enough time (at least 2 wks) and you get them all the materials (e.g. addressed and stamped envelopes, the forms printed out, etc). You might also give them your resume/cv and a copy of your autobiographical statement. That will help give refresh their memory or give them information they can use in the letter. It might also let them know what strengths/abilities you're trying to play up so they can support those.

Comment

Siggie speakems truths

It depends on what kind of relationship you have with the person. Actually, yah it's pretty important who is writing the letter ... a professor (especially one that has been around for many years) carries a lot more weight as they often write tons of letters and even a "good" letter from someone in that position may carry a lot of weight.

You should meet with them and as Siggie said, ask them pretty much directly if they would feel comfortable writing a strong letter as this is very important in your life and you are really hoping to get in etc etc. Say that you would understand if they are busy or can't do it. Now most people won't have the guts to say it in your face that they don't like you So you have to follow it up with a follow-up question to allow them to expand on what they think about you ... but indirectly. So ask something like "What do you think my chances are?" or "Do you think I have a good shot to get in?" something to let them indirectly tell you what they think of you

And the most important thing Siggie said is GIVE THEM LOTS of TIME .. and make it easy for them. Email or give them all your details like resume, grades (if they are good ) and other personal info. Make it as easy or them as possible to write.

Remember to keep reminding them once in a while ... people forget or get busy. You don't want to pester them every day but at least remind them every couple of weeks or just ask if they need any extra info or anything.
                  Last edited by Sip; 10-09-2008, 10:41 AM.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    But again I think grad programs are different because the individual prof that will be the adviser will usually select his own student(s). It makes sense in that case to wait until all of them are in to get the best student, but also the best match in research interests.
                    That's very true ... if a professor wants a student, that student is pretty much in. So it's a good idea to try to build some relationships with faculty. It's not so easy when applying to a different school than where one did undergrad.

Of course not sure how film school works
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Wow, I'm getting more answers than I thought. So much so that I really need to sit down and read. Thanks to both of you.

I'll give them enough time, don't worry. The thing is, I wanted a film professor to write me a letter and I've only had two. One of them was an excellent professor who also teaches at UCLA. He's widely respected, has been on TCM and written film-related articles for the New York Times. His problem was that he doesn't like getting "friendly" with students. He keeps a distance and doesn't really like "talking" to them or getting to know them.

For this reason, I took another professor for my filmmaking course. He's also the Cinema-Television Department Chairman. I figured he'll get a good look at my films in class, and he'll be able to speak more about my filmmaking abilities. However, we won't submit any actual short films until after November and December, and I'll need these letters done by then. I actually got my first project back today and received an A so that's all he has to go by.

So in all honesty, he doesn't really "know" me to well, but we've spoke many times in person and through e-mail. I think if I explain my position and how eager I am for film school, he'll be glad one of his students is trying to do something. They're always encouraging us to try new things and get internships and be apart of film festivals. He already knows I made a short film for myself, so maybe I can let him see that too. I'll try talking to him.

Also, since I need three letters of recommendation, I was thinking he'll be one and as I said, a previous boss will be one. The professor will take care of my academia portion, while the previous boss will speak about my work-related abilities in filmmaking. For the third, should I look for another film related person or who should I go to?

I know of two people I can ask. My brother-in-law, who they won't know is my brother-in-law. I've worked for his business many times; written a script for an informercial, designed their website, etc. He's a Software Analyst, so it'll show another side of me -- working with graphic design, being creative in another light.

Or should I ask my English professor. She's a really great person with pretty good credentials. She has a PhD, and something like 6 MA's. She knows me pretty well and I got an A on all my writing assignmets in her class. She can talk about my writing, since afterall, I am applying as a screenwriting major.

Which would you guys say is the better way to go?

By the way, thanks again and Siggie, the A I got was the project I PMed you about.

Comment

Working...
                      X