Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

University Applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University Applications

Okay, I'm going to have questions as I work on these applications so I'll be in and out.

When an application tells you to list three other universities you are applying to, should you tell the truth?

I've heard people say only list schols lower than the one you are applying to. Make it look like their school is the best on on the list. However, that doesn't make sense, it's worse, I'd say.

Comment

Sometimes it helps them make a decision on whether you will accept to go there if they offer you admission. They will consider what your chances are of getting into those other places as well.

Believe it or not, some lower-than-top ranked schools will actually not offer scholarships to very top students because they can guess that those students are not going to go there anyway and that ruins the chances for some others students that may need the funding and actually will accept those offers.

I doubt the choice will influence admissions much though ... it is mainly for scholarships and funding planning. They just want to get an idea of the chances you will accept the offers they give you. You don't necessarily want to put junk schools in this section, and you don't really want to make up stuff either. When in doubt, just be honest.
      this post = teh win.

Comment

My film professor wants me to write the letter of recommendation and he said he'll go over and edit it, then sign it and give it back to me. This is exactly what happened when I asked one of the guys I worked for in my internship. They're all so "busy" that they don't mind editing it, but they want me to write it so it's as good as I want it to be.

Can anybody help me out? Can I see some sample letter of recommendations someone as written you? You can PM me if you'd like.

Also, I asked this before but got no answer:

One of the schools wants three letters whereas the rest want two. I already have one from the Chairman of the Film-Television Department, an employeer from my internship from a production company, and for the third I'm thinking one of these two:

1) My future brother-in-law (they won't know he's my brother-in-law) who I've worked for in the past doing creative work. I've helped design his company website, I adapted an informercial, etc. Plus side is he talks about my creative side; graphic design, computer understandings, etc. Nothing academic, nothing film. I pretty much have film covered enough and academic I sort of have it taken care of with the Chairman, although not much.

2) My English professor from a previous semester. She's very, very nice and would do it for sure. I wrote 5 papers in the class including a research paper. I received an A on all of them and an A in the class. Plus side is she can talk about my academics, my writing, how I am as a student. I don't really have that in my other letters, except a little from the Chairman. She also has a PhD, maybe that can help as she signs her name.

I'm thinking English professor, what do you guys say?

Comment

Well, if your employer from the internship can comment on your creative skills, then, I'd say go for the English professor. That way, you'll have all the bases covered.

Comment

Definitely English professor.

One-way, I'll pm you a couple of the many letters I've written later this weekend (have to dig up an old drive) but not sure how applicable they will be to your situation. But the write the letter for yourself thing is pretty standard... at some point I had to write like 5 for myself and it is VERY hard to make them all super good yet different enough that they don't all sound the same.

By the way, a couple of my own letters brought tears to my own eyes
            Last edited by Sip; 12-06-2008, 12:45 PM.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

I can send you a couple but i'll have to type it up since they were to a school i ended up not applying to, so I opened them (I know, shame on me). One is more cookie-cutter and the other is fantastic. It's for a completely different field, so what's important in mine won't be in yours but you'll see how they need to be personal to be good. I don't think writing your own is a good idea and I don't think i t was right to ask you to do it.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I agree.

When I asked my employer, who is more a friend, he said a lot of professors are open about the idea and I should ask my professor first. I didn't, but to my surprise, the professor suggested himself. I guess it is pretty standard, considering my employer also said he had to write his letters because his professors wanted it that way.

Maybe because I'm not applying for graduate level and I'm not/can't get personal enough with my professors. I imagine during film school, I will basically become friends with my professors and have to develop relationships. That way, they will be better equipped to write me a future letter.

Anyway, any PM's will help. I don't want you guys to go through any trouble so anything you have around will be essential. Just so I can get an idea.

Comment

I can't find the cookiecutter one atm, but I have the better one. Can you pm me your email address? It's 1.5 pages and won't fit in a pm.
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Are you properly in awe of my awesomeness?

Comment

Does the applicant generally send the letters of recommendation out themselves or should the person mail it to the school? My English professor is moving to New York so when she writes it, she'll be living there. Should she send it to me and I put it back in another envelope or should she send it to the school?

This is all the information I'm given about the letters:

Undergraduate applicants should send the letters to the Critical Studies Admission Committee at the appropriate address below. Applicants are responsible for verifying that the letters have been received.

Comment

Working...
                      X