Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

University Applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University Applications

I've been trying to avoid this day as much as possible but I suppose it has to be done.

My applications for school are due pretty soon so let's discuss any questions I, or anybody else, may have.

I am applying to USC and Chapman University for Fall 2009 admission. Both schools require a Supplemental Application which consists of materials, portfolio, and essays for the film school itself. This means for I have to submit two applications for each school; one for the school itself and the other for the film school.

Chapman's applications are both due March 1. They seem less tense and strict about each guideline. I also have to prepare a two-minute video. USC's application for the school is due February 2. The application for USC Cinema is due December 1.

The best thing to do is to take step by step. As in, I should worry about the December 1 application, finish it and then move on to what's due in March. The USC Cinema application seems overwhelming but it isn't all that bad. Five out of the eight materials they want are things I don't have to prepare; photocopy of application form, writing samples, portfolio list, letters of recommendation etc.

The hard part is writing the Autobiographic Character Sketch, Emotional Moment Essay, and Creative Challenge. I'm not going to ask for people to read through my writing when we're done but some encouragement would be nice. Any tips? Suggestions? Remember, I have an ordinary application to fill out for each school (easy, considering there's only one major essay) and another, more difficult one, for film school.

Re: University Applications

It might be less of an issue w/ 2 schools, but I think it's helpful to get all the materials together organized by date due in a binder w/ a section for each school/app.
    Applications suck and so does the GRE (or whatever standardized test, e.g. GMAT, LSAT, etc.; which you should be grateful you don't need to take).
    I wanted to ceremoniously burn my GRE books when I got into my current program, but I've resisted as someone might want to borrow them someday, plus the books/class from Kaplan was really expensive).

If they all require personal statements (autobiographical whatever they call choose to call them) you can use the same one. I don't know if film schools are as hard to get into than PhD programs, but you might want to apply to more than 2 so you're not stuck waiting a year if you don't get into either of those 2.

Anyway, it'll be a b*tch now and looking back I'd rather set myself on fire than write another personal statement or take the GRE again, but it'll feel good when you're done. As you're working on them you can motivate yourself by thinking it might be the only/last time you have to do it.

So, Mr. Way... I do not envy the process now, but the idea of starting a film program must be quite exciting.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Well, Siggie, I truly appreciate the motivation. Setting yourself on fire surely sounds fun and it looks like you had a fantastic time!

They all require something different but for the most part, they're quite similar in structure. A little tweaking here and there should be fine. As far as film school goes, USC, mainly, just wants to see how well you can write. Their guidelines, however, seem silly. For the creative challenge I have to write about two very different people who get stuck in an elevator on New Year's Eve. Basically, they want to see how vivid my imagination is and what I'll do with that story. Well, after all, I am applying for a Screenwriting major.

Film school, both undergraduate and graduate, are pretty tough to get into actually. I browsed many forums months ago and spoke with students who applied for Fall 2008. I viewed their progress and got an understanding of what they went through. Unfortunently, the acceptance rate is pretty low. They accept more freshmen than transfers; I'm a transfer. Each department (film production, cinema studies, screenwriting) accepts about 15-20 students a year. Pretty tough. The only PhD in film, as far as California goes, is in Film Studies in UCLA. I'll worry about that later but I'm sure that's much more competitive.

These two schools are my main choices but I'm thinking of also applying to NYU. They're more known for their graduate program but it's worth applying. Their main focus is on a film submission, which I'm pretty much done with editing. No other film school or university really interests me; except UCLA but I have my reasons for not going with them.

Comment

I said rather than do it again... and it's also of note that I went through graduate applications 3 times (once for MA and twice for PhD, though 1 of those was pretty half-assed). I didn't say it was fun and I don't think you expected it to be either. For the programs I applied to, 1-3 students was typical, but there were probably fewer applicants. I think it up ranging between 1-10% for most funded programs.

Could you apply as a freshman even if you've completed some coursework? How far would that set you back. If it was really competitive, I might be willing to repeat a years worth of curriculum rather than getting rejected.

The more programs you apply to the better, but don't apply where you wouldn't go if you got in b/c that's just wasting your time, their time, and your application fee.

I'm curious what you'll come up w/ for the elevator scene too. Maybe you can share once the application deadline has passed. Good luck!
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Unless you're coming from high school, there's no chance as a freshman.

I can apply to a second-choice major for both schools, so if I don't get accepted to my first choice, I'll get in for my second-choice. The thing is, USC wants you to complete the supplemental application for your second-choice too. It's not easy, considering my second-choice would be film production and they require a complete "business" side as in business courses in their school of business. It would be easier to major in film production at USC and minor in screenwriting, but again, the requirements are much higher for production. I perfer screenwriting for USC, anyway.

For Chapman, I'm applying as film production. I can choose a second-major without worries, but I'm not too fond of their other programs. Their screenwriting program for undergraduate is not that great, from what I've heard. Their graduate program is much better constructed. I may try putting down film studies as second-choice; I wouldn't mind actually.

I'm curious what I'll come too for my elevator scene. 2-5 pages is the maximum length. Usually they say you can tell how talented a writer is in a 2-page script. Oh well, it seems difficult now but I'm sure when it comes crunch time, I'll be okay. If not, I'm in the wrong boat. I'll try posting them, maybe.

Comment

I'm sure you'll get the application materials done w/ no problems. Just get started early enough so you there's room for inevitable delays that arise and no reason for panic/stress in the last days.

Comment

I also wish I had some accomplishments under my belt. There are sections where I'll have to fill in any awards or accomplishments, any activities I participate in, clubs and communities I am apart of, etc.

I'll just write "Moderator of ArmenianClub." I'll move to the top of every list, unless Anonymouse/Siggie/nimda are applying to film school. In that case, I'll be right under them.

Comment

1. Apply everywhere ... narrow down later. Unfortunately applications cost money and they are not exactly easy to do but the more you can widen your options the better shape you'll be in later.

2. Apply as soon as possible when they start accepting applications. Deadlines don't mean you should submit your apps that day or that week. Deadlines just mean that they won't even look at anything after that. But schools typically start looking at applications as they come in ... and some even start sending out offers of acceptance way before the deadline rolls around.

Rejections however wait till after the deadline so that they can review them or to make sure they fill all their spots
                this post = teh win.

Comment

I'll second what Sip said...find out if it's a rolling admission. If it is, send them in asap.

Comment

Why wouldn't they wait to make their decisions? Wouldn't they want to get all of them in so they can accept the best of the whole bunch?

I know psych grad programs wait til all the apps are in...

Comment

Working...
                    X