Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Juris Doctor (JD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juris Doctor (JD)

I was skimming through my Chapman University booklet and noticed they offer joint degrees. One of which was a MFA/JD in Film and Television Producing. I had never really heard of JD, but figured it was more like a PhD.

I did a little research and discovered it's pretty much the legal counterpart to the MD degree. I also read like other professional degrees (MD, DDS), a dissertation or thesis is not always part of the JD.

So I'm wondering, how does it compare to the PhD/MD. What's the difference between a JD and a PhD?

Looking at the courses for a JD in this specific program, it's all law courses so I can understand that it's geared toward a "law" program. However, why wouldn't they just offer a PhD instead? UCLA is the only other film school who offers a higher degree (PhD) which is in Film Studies Research & Design.

Re: Juris Doctor (JD)

So in simpler terms, a JD is better than a PhD because it's the MD degree of law school. Yes?

Comment

Well, I'll just talk to myself then.

Upon completion of law school, you receive a JD. Maybe I didn't care enough about law school to look into it but I didn't know this.

I guess it makes sense why the Film Producing program at Chapman is MFA/JD because the MFA is geared toward classes that have to do specifically with film production and filmmaking. You are required to be accepted to both the film school and Chapman's law school, and you basically have two transcripts throughout the program. The JD program for Film Producing is all law classes that don't necessarily have to do only with film. They basically are Entertainment Negotations and Contracts, Entertainment Law, International Entertainment Law.

That's pretty great because this is very critical for the entertainment industry. I mean, getting an MFA/JD in Film Producing prepares you for all types of job within the film industry. Sure, I see myself as a writer and not really having anything to do with the business, but this is something that has always interested me. These are the people who end up running Warners and become studio heads.

Pretty cool.

Comment

I don't know if a JD is better than a PhD or Masters. It depends on what you want to do, and what you want to use it for.

Essentially any person who completes law school will earn a JD. They are not capable of practicing law (provided they pass the state's bar examination).

Many people use JD for joint purposes. I know several students at my school who are going for a joint JD and Masters in Business (since our school offers). Another student is simply getting a JD to do consulting for a company. Another person is getting a JD because he eventually wants to be a sports agent. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Obviously getting a JD is more limited. You have better chances of getting a PhD or a Masters in something and pursuing consulting, but a JD is primarily used for people who want to practice law.

There is a student at our school (the smartest one probably) who is a scientist. He has a Masters, went for his PhD, and now he's going for a JD. I don't know why, but I guess he wants to conquer academia.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
          I don't know if a JD is better than a PhD or Masters.
          I do... it's not.
          Some days I wonder if I'm crazy for not doing it when I'm in and could do it w/ tuition paid for... Most days I just want to get done as quickly as possible and go home. I've thought about auditing a few courses like Con law I, II and damages. I worry that if I don't have to do the work, I'll slack and I won't do it.

Mouse would you take Con law if you didn't have to? I think it would be interesting.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
            I do... it's not.
            Care to explain?

The program I'm talking about is a joint program; Masters and JD at once.

You still have to apply to the law school and you'll be graduating from there. So, it's still a plus having it along with the Masters; better than not having it, I guess.

Do people with JD's put a doctor in front of their name? I read they don't because it's not common to do so. But why not? It's a doctorate, isn't it? I don't want to say JD > PhD but I think that's what it comes down to. No?

Comment

There are different fields. If I'm not mistaken isn't there a degree above JD - I think an LLM which is a masters in a specific field of law. I can look that up later. JD is just what you get when you graduate from law school that's what it's been called traditionally, but it's not a doctorate degree for which people are called Dr.
              For someone who wants to practice law, they need to get a JD (well not need, not in CA anyway), so for them that's better.
              For me... I don't need the JD and so that's why I'm not doing it. Yeah, I can be cool and rack up yet another degree, but I don't need it for a job in academia. So, I'll be content w/ taking the law courses that will be useful to me and not spend more time in school than I need to getting a degree I won't need.
              I would advise you to do the same. Why do a grueling dual program if you don't need it? If you decide that you want to pursue a career in which a JD would be useful, then you can apply for a dual degree program like that. You have time... a couple years at least, right?

Oh and I think a PhD is far harder to earn than a JD.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Here ya go...

Originally posted by KinsellaLaw Web Log

Way back when, lawyers got an LL.B. (the bachelor of laws—the "LL" meaning, I suppose, "laws"-plural in much the same way that §§ means "sections"). A master's in law is an LL.M., and a true doctorate in law is an LL.D. (also sometimes given as a straight Ph.D, or as an SJD or JSD—for "doctor of juridical/juristic science"). Apparently, a few decades ago, the American legal bar decided to change the LL.B. to the J.D., in a vain attempt to garner the prestige of Ph.Ds or M.D.s. Under today's rules, one must obtain a bachelor's degree in anything, before entering law school. This does make the 3-year law degree technically a graduate degree, but since the undergrad degree need not relate in the slightest to law (my own undergraduate degree is in engineering!), it is not really a graduate degree in the sense of building on some foundation, and it is thus absurd to view the law degree as a true doctorate. Query: if a regular J.D. lawyer is a "Doctor," what does he become after subsequently obtaining an LL.D.?—a Doctor-Doctor? Many non-American lawyers, incidentally, still obtain LL.B. degrees, though some seem to be following the American model to change from LL.B. to J.D. (without requiring an undergraduate degree though!).

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                  I would advise you to do the same. Why do a grueling dual program if you don't need it? If you decide that you want to pursue a career in which a JD would be useful, then you can apply for a dual degree program like that. You have time... a couple years at least, right?

Oh and I think a PhD is far harder to earn than a JD.
                  I wasn't thinking about applying for this program. I was just looking through the graduate section of the catalog and realized I hadn't seen it before.

This is specifically for Film and Television Producing. You'll basically be working as a studio head or somewhere else on the business side of the industry; hence, the JD degree.

I'm concentrating on film production, which is just as broad because that has to do with cinematography, editing, sound production, writing, etc. I could do my undergraduate in film production and do the dual program for film producing. It wouldn't really be a waste because I will have experienced filmmaking and also spent time learning the business side which deals with law.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                    It wouldn't really be a waste because I will have experienced filmmaking and also spent time learning the business side which deals with law.
                    I don't think the JD is necessary for that though. You can learn what's relevant without taking all the courses necessary for the degree. Whether it's possible to pick and choose courses or complete a different degree is another issue.
                    At the university I attend, there is a different degree specifically for the purpose of allowing those in graduate programs in other fields to get a background in law that will be useful for their research, education, career, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X