Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

If you had to choose between Christianity and being Armenian.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you had to choose between Christianity and being Armenian.

I know that Christianity is integral to being Armenian, but what takes precedence for you?

If you are a believer in Christianity, then you know that being Armenian isn't enough to save you in the afterlife.

Also, if you're familiar with neo-paganism (the re-emergence of pre-christianity pagan beliefs in europe right now). It affected Nazi ideology and Hitler tried to revive the old nordic religion out of nostalgia.

If Armenians didn't adopt Christianity, and retained their old religion - i'm assuming some form of paganism - would you consider that to be integral? Would you care less about Christianity? (and by the way, what were the pre-christian beliefs of Armenians?

Re: If you had to choose between Christianity and being Armenian.

My religion is My Race.

There are athiest Armenians. The church does have a very important role though.
    But even in the abscence of it there is still the language, alphabet, the Art, the history, the Architecture, these are perhaps influence by our religion but never the less, the are Armenian.

My religion is my race.

Comment

I am very much for Armenians keeping their Christian religious structure today, it has kept us alive all this time.

The members of the community can go their own way and do their own thing, what counts in the end is that they are conscious of our civilization and work for its greater interests which in the end, have to do with helping the community. The Armenian Church provides us with a great foundation to do just this.

Armenian Christianity is part of our civilization and it is also something we have used to survive through all the chaos of our history whilst retaining our identity from becoming assimilated.

It has quite hard, if not impossible, to split Armenian identity from our Christian past.

I don't know SoyElTurco, favoring a particular stance by attempting to answer your original question just seems... wrong.
      Last edited by jgk3; 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by truAnatolian View Post
        My religion is My Race.
        Quoted for Truth.

Comment

Originally posted by SoyElTurco View Post
          I know that Christianity is integral to being Armenian, but what takes precedence for you?
          I can tell you, that for many soviet products like myself, religion doesn't pay much of a role in their daily life. Christianity helped Armenians maintain their nation while under the islamic yoke hence I fully respect from that point -- but I wouldn't call it integral today.

Also, if you're familiar with neo-paganism (the re-emergence of pre-christianity pagan beliefs in europe right now). It affected Nazi ideology and Hitler tried to revive the old nordic religion out of nostalgia.
          There are some groups in Armenia very interested in various neo-pagan beliefs.

If Armenians didn't adopt Christianity, and retained their old religion - i'm assuming some form of paganism - would you consider that to be integral?
          Pretty silly question. Obviously it wasn't integral in adopting Christianity, but I am sure when falling under an alien yoke such as turks, it, amongst other things would have been "integral".

(and by the way, what were the pre-christian beliefs of Armenians?
          Zoroastrianism.

Comment

Armenian Church has helped to keep much of Armenian culture, language, etc. throughout the hard times of invasion and war. Unlike other nationalities Armenian Orthodox religion is one of the most important factors in Armenian identity. Even the "rabiz" in Armenia will make sure to visit church during important holidays like Զատիկ (Easter).
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I hate religion so that would make it a no-brainer, I think.

Comment

already not a christian so....yeah, I'd rather be armenian.

Comment

Originally posted by Stark Evade View Post
                  I hate religion so that would make it a no-brainer, I think.
                  You're not Armenian either so I guess it doesn't matter. Anyone who denigrates the name of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church is not Armenian in my book, regardless of whether you consider yourself Christian or not. I give Anonymouse credit for recognizing the enormous role the Church has played in the development of the Armenian language, literature, culture, music, etc. although he may not necessarily believe in its teachings.

And as a side note, why are you so obsessed with threads concerning religion and trying to 'prove' that the Christians here are absolutely wrong? Orthodox Christians are not fundamentalist protestants; we're not going to come burn you at the stake. I understand where you are coming from in terms of the whole "fundamentalist atheist" weltanschauung but why do you post only in religion threads and not in threads that concern the future of Armenia?
                  Last edited by yerazhishda; 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
                    You're not Armenian either so I guess it doesn't matter. Anyone who denigrates the name of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church is not Armenian in my book, regardless of whether you consider yourself Christian or not. I give Anonymouse credit for recognizing the enormous role the Church has played in the development of the Armenian language, literature, culture, music, etc. although he may not necessarily believe in its teachings.

And as a side note, why are you so obsessed with threads concerning religion and trying to 'prove' that the Christians here are absolutely wrong? Orthodox Christians are not fundamentalist protestants; we're not going to come burn you at the stake. I understand where you are coming from in terms of the whole "fundamentalist atheist" weltanschauung but why do you post only in religion threads and not in threads that concern the future of Armenia?
                    I don't care about your book. Chances are you're a crappy author.

I have a lot of cultural feelings and that's good enough for me.

Recognize the enormously destructive role religion in general has played in Armenian history.

All religions are wrong. Not just Christians. And I want to discuss it because I feel religion is a plague. A disgusting festering disease and a mockery of the potential of the human intellect. Ill logic at it's most disturbing. And for that reason it is very relevant from my point of view. And there is nothing wrong with that. One's contributions do not need to be all or nothing. There is no rule that says if you want to post you also have to post in every stupid happy birthday thread, what are you listening to thread, car thread, movie thread, relationship thread, or history thread, blah blah blah. I have chosen my level of involvement and it is this and it is for my own, perfectly legitimate reasons.

I don't contribute to much else because I just don't care about discussing crap for the sake of discussion with people on a forum. I read about what I do not know and I move on. I have no desire for a social dependence on forums and their members.

The only other contributions I make to which I feel compelled are information about events of significance to the culture of the contemporary Armenian diaspora, such as concerts with Armenian performers along with information about Armenians that are stepping into the public eye and could use all our support (i.e. famous or almost famous). I don't need to do anymore.

Maybe you should also write another self-aggrandizing and egotistical book called "How to be the Best Possible Forum Member According to Yerazhishda." I'm sure everyone cares.

And I'm not an atheist.
                    Last edited by Stark Evade; 11-17-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X