Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Where The $$$ Is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where The $$$ Is...

Originally posted by gmd View Post
    Pepsi, try pimpin.
    gmd. no its ok but thanks for your opinion it really meant alot.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
      There isn't the "best" or "highest paying" job. There's only the right job and what you love to do. Everything else is secondary; do you want to be a plumber? You can make $200,000 a year but do you want to become one? Do you want to be a painter? You can make millions of dollars or die hungry in a broken home.
      Exactly. What good is $200k/yr if you're not passionate about what you do, or if it leaves you angry and stressed at the end of the day? There's nothing worse than hating your job. That feeling of dreading going into work every morning is not worth any amount of money in the world, unless you've become that big of a slave to the dollar. Like the old saying goes, "find a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life".

Moreover, wtf is the matter with Armenians? When did we become so obsessed with money and material possessions? For a culture that is so tied to it's Christian faith, it's amazing that the main concern for so many Armenians seems to be making sure they get into a career that makes a fortune. It doesn't matter if you LIKE the profession, or not. All that matters is the bottom line. How big will my checks be each week? Oh, and then don't forget that you are apparently obligated to flaunt the fact that you make a fortune by driving Beamers and Mercedes. Did all you good, faithful Christians forget you're going to Hell for putting such importance on worldly possessions?

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
        Exactly. What good is $200k/yr if you're not passionate about what you do, or if it leaves you angry and stressed at the end of the day? There's nothing worse than hating your job. That feeling of dreading going into work every morning is not worth any amount of money in the world, unless you've become that big of a slave to the dollar. Like the old saying goes, "find a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life".

Moreover, wtf is the matter with Armenians? When did we become so obsessed with money and material possessions? For a culture that is so tied to it's Christian faith, it's amazing that the main concern for so many Armenians seems to be making sure they get into a career that makes a fortune. It doesn't matter if you LIKE the profession, or not. All that matters is the bottom line. How big will my checks be each week? Oh, and then don't forget that you are apparently obligated to flaunt the fact that you make a fortune by driving Beamers and Mercedes. Did all you good, faithful Christians forget you're going to Hell for putting such importance on worldly possessions?
        You like your job?

Comment

$ - Symbol of slavery... an "S" with 2 nails through it. I'd rather have more free time and earn less money, money is important since its the only tool for survival in our society... but living within your means is key.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by gmd View Post
            You like your job?
            Yeah. Pimping has its perks.

Comment

You want me...? 50 bux... LOLLOLOLOLL

They say its hard out here fo' a pimp.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself. Glad I'm not alone in this.

Comment

There is absolutely nothing wrong with scoping out a field before committing years of education and experience in order to be able to provide for yourself and your family in the future. Ofcourse everyone should do what they love, but when you have responsibilities and a family to provide for, you should not only do what you love, but also be smart about it and make some money along the way. For example, for someone that loves working with kids....they can either go be an elementary school cafeteria worker or an orthodontist. Sure, these are extremes, and the cafeteria worker may develop a new method of managing the food which revolutionizes the industry and ends up making millions of dollars, but generally speaking, orthodontists will be better off financially. And in both cases, you'll be doing what you love...working with kids.

Wanting to make money (be a good provider for your family) is about as basic as instincts get and Armenians are generally good providers (especially the males when it comes to the level of sacrifice I've seen some go through in order to allow their sons or daughters to be able to attend that higher level private school, live in the safer part of town, etc) so asking "when we became so obsessed with money"...well....I would say ever since "money" became the medium which provided for a good home with food on the table.

Comment

Maybe Pepsi can work for you.

Comment

ddd - I think you're missing the point. For starters, your example is erroneous because neither of the jobs you listed is really what is considered working with kids. I highly doubt that throwing food on a plate, or fixing teeth for a living is what they have in mind. Someone who likes to work with kids is either going to be a youth social worker, or a teacher, or a day care attendant, or a babysitter, etc. Something involved with directly interaction with kids, or impacting their lives on a day-to-day basis. IF they don't mind doing ANY of those jobs, than I can understand exploring the best field financially. But to jump from that, to your example of becoming an orthodontist because you like "working with kids" is beyond a far stretch since the profession itself really has nothing to do with working with kids.

Secondly, the Armenians I speak of are not looking to merely "provide for their family". This has nothing to do with being responsible, or any other psuedo-noble cause you want to attribute. I'm talking about the Armenians that want to "make bank". Siggie said earlier in this thread that $75k - $100k/yr isn't considered bank. Perhaps not (though that's subjective). Regardless, if a person can't survive off of $75k+/yr VERY comfortably, WITH a decent chunk of change left over every month, then you're not looking to just "provide for the family". You're looking to spend on over the top luxuries in life. These people want to be able to blow $100 per person at some obscenely expensive restaurant, even though it's all going to end up in the same place as a meal from Chili's in a few hours (the toilet). They want to afford the high end Beamers, or drive a giant SUV, even though there's only one or 2 people in it at a time. JCPenny, or Kohl's isn't good enough for their wardrobe, they need to buy $2k suits, $200 dress shirts etc. from Nordstrom's (or even higher end stores), even though each one is going to be worn once or twice a month at most. There is absolutely NO purpose for wasting money on the above mentioned things other than spending lavishly for sheer status symbol and extravagance. Which brings us to the most important point you missed.

Armenians constantly talk about how it is our Christian faith that has held our identity together for centuries. It is how we got through the Ottoman curse, and how we survive and thrive no matter where we end up globally. Everything is centered around our Christian faith. However, it appears that Armenians are all talk. Are you all forgetting that Jesus told you to live humbly? That it is very difficult for the "well off" to make it passed heaven's gates? Are you forgetting that to desire worldly/material possessions is a sin? I get condemned by most Armenians for being atheist, but I assure you, from what I've witnessed, read and heard, I live my life far more "morally" (by Bible standards) than the VAST majority of Christians that I've meet. Armenians can talk the talk, but when it comes time to walk the walk by following all the rules established by their lord, they're quick to forget about their Christian faith, and become as petty, greedy and materialistic as their Western counterpart consumerist wh*re nations.

Comment

Working...
                      X