Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hemshin peoples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hemshin peoples

there are certain foreign services that mean the life or death for Armenia. We'd better get involved in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Կարմիր Բ View Post
      And this means that we should work with Hamshens and create an Armenian minority inside Turkey so as to intervene in their internal affairs, instead of the suicidal and idiotic policies that people like Vigil suggest (that we should dump them).

Quite frankly, I think we should watch out because many self-portrayed "Armenian ultanationalists" might work for foreign services.

Read or reread the many posts in this thread and similar ones by Armenian, Anonymouse, jgk3, Vigil and myself to better understand what is meant by an Armenian and why having Armenian blood is inherently related to having a patriotic frame of mind.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Descendants of Hamshen Armenians commemorated Genocide victims
        25.04.2009 02:28 GMT+04:00
        /PanARMENIAN.Net/ Commemoration of the Armenian Genocide in Ottoman Empire of 1915-1923 took place in Abkhazia.

Hamshen Armenians moved to Abkhazia in mid 19 th century and beginning of 20th century after the Armenian Genocide in Turkey. They come from Hamshen region of Western Armenia (modernTurkey). According to Yerkramas, newspaper of Armenians of Russia, pupils of Sukhum Armenian secondary school read poems about these tragic episodes accompanied by duduk. They commemorated victims by minute of silence.

Armin Vegner: Genocide Photographer film by famous Armenian producer was shown during the event.

Afterwards, wreaths with lit candles were let out in sea.

Comment

A lone ‘Hemşinli’ in Yerevan

Sergey Vartanyan’s roots are in Hemşin, near Rize, and he is looking forward to the opening of the Turkey-Armenia border. His family was forced to migrate to Armenia in 1915.

They first lived in the Çavuştepe (Haykaşen) village in Van’s Gürpınar district. Vartanyan’s great-grandfather, Vardan, was a village elder. Vardan immigrated to Yerevan with his family 95 years ago. He took choreography lessons in Yerevan and became the head of the Armenian State Ethnographic Dance Group in 1930.

Vartanyan was born in Yerevan in 1952. He has never visited Van but he has heard that his family’s home in Van is still standing. It’s isn’t his past that makes Vartanyan the subject of this piece; rather it is the newspaper “Dzayn Hamshenakan” (The Voice of Hemşin), which he has been publishing for six years. This is why Vartanyan, whose family is originally from Van, is called Hemşinli (one who is from Hemşin). His interest in his family’s Turkish roots in general and particularly the people of Hemşin, who live in small towns located in Turkey’s Eastern Black Sea province of Rize, began years ago and culminated in The Voice of Hemşin newspaper, which was founded in 2004.

Initially it was printed every month, with 12 pages monthly, but due to financial constraints it is currently printed every two months on eight pages. Its circulation has declined from 1,500 to 1,000 over the course of the last six years. One of the reasons for the decline is the availability of the newspaper online. All pages of the newspaper can be accessed in PDF format on the website www.dzaynhamshenakan.org. The website also features music videos by Black Sea artists such as Altan Civelek, Harun Topaloğlu and the Vova group, which is known for playing traditional Hemşin melodies. It also contains information about the Hemşin culture and photographs from Hemşin. The Voice of Hemşin is printed in black and white. It may not have a high circulation, but I found that it reaches many countries including Syria, Russia, the US, Lebanon and certainly Turkey.

Noting that it is manly read in Abkhazia where there is a large population of Christian Hemşinli, Vartanyan says: “The Voice of Hemşin is currently published in both Russian and Armenian. If we had an English version we would have more readers. But I do not have the financial means.”

I asked Vartanyan about his interest in Hemşin. He explained that for 30 years he has been following the traces of Armenians who speak dialects of Armenian ever since he came across them in Sochi as a young boy. His work on the Hemşin culture, which started out of curiosity, has evolved into a profession. Of course he’s done a lot of studying over the years as well. “We were going to Sochi [a coastal city in the south of Russia] with my father’s car in 1950. It was the first time I saw Armenians who didn’t speak like us. It was very fascinating to me. During our vacation in 1969, we visited the Armenian Moldovka village near the Sochi Airport. There were over 2,000 Armenians who were trying to open a school in this village. I began researching why and how these Armenians came to Sochi. I tried to understand why they were speaking in different dialects. I was not able to find any serious source on them because of the Soviet Union’s censorship policies. When I began my journalism career in 1981, this curiosity turned into a job. I would go to Abkhazia, Krasnodar and Sochi and write about the stories of Armenians living in these areas. According to a census in 1979, there were close to 74,000 Armenians in Abkhazia and 121 Armenians in Krasnodar. There were reports that the actual population was higher. Scientific studies indicated that the majority of these people spoke the ‘Hemşin dialect’. I traveled around those areas for many years and I relayed the stories of Armenians I met to Yerevan.”

Vartanyan’s writings on Hemşin culture were first printed in various magazines and newspapers. He intensified his research after he founded his own newspaper in 2004. It was easier to investigate and write because there was no problem finding a publication outlet.

Vartanyan (58), who studied philology, is not only the newspaper’s editor in chief but is also involved with everything from the content of the news to its composition and even its distribution. The newspaper does not have an office. Vartanyan has turned a section of his home into an office and he prepares the newspaper from there. He currently does not have a team. His only helper is his Turcologist friend Lusine Sahakyan. Sahakyan, from Yerevan State University’s Turcology department, takes care of the newspaper’s Turkish and English translations. The biggest supporter of the Voice of Hemşin newspaper is the “Hemşin Fellow Citizenship and Philanthropy Foundation,” which was set up in 1992. Vartanyan notes that Hemşinlis living in Russian territories tried to set up similar newspapers in the past but were shut down due to restrictions imposed by the Soviet administration and adds that The Voice of Hemşin newspaper has filled a major gap. “Similar activities by Armenians living in Russian lands were banned by the Soviet administration. In the Krasnodar region [located in southern Russia] and in the Caucasus the more-than-half-a-million Armenians had newspapers and magazines in Russian but did not have any publications in Armenian. With this in mind I set up the newspaper to give Armenians the opportunity to be able to read in their own language. We distributed our newspaper for free, especially in Krasnodar and Abkhazia where there are many Hemşinli Armenians. The demand for the newspaper has increased. We are sending it to more places now.”

I ask Vartanyan about the newspaper’s publication policy. His immediate response is, “We don’t get involved in politics.” Indicating that the newspaper does not include any political articles, he says: “I am not interested in politics. I don’t really like it and I have never signed up as a member for any party. The Voice of Hemşin mainly prints letters and articles from Armenians living in Krasnodar and Abkhazia. I have a section with stories about teachers and students in Krasnodar and Abkhazia. There are many painful memories. Additionally, I allocate space to books, activities and new articles about Hemşin culture. In short, the newspaper is in general oriented towards learning. The newspaper contains articles on the history, philology, folklore, dances, music and dialects of Christian and Muslim Hemşinli people.

He found Muslim Hemşinlis as well
          Vartanyan says he does not have any trouble finding contributors. Noting that he receives articles on the Hemşin culture from people in other countries, he says “Since I used to work at the Armenian Science Academy’s Archeology and Ethnography Institute’s Folklore Department, most of the writers are friends from my academic circle. Even though I don’t pay copyright fees, I receive articles from foreign academics about Hemşin culture. It’s appealing for them to write for this kind of a publication.”

The newspaper is not the only means by which Vartanyan provides information about Hemşin culture. He’s also organized conferences about the Hemşinlis. He has compiled stories, legends and songs he learned in Hemşin villages in Russia and the Caucasus that he has been visiting since 1981 into a few books. “While working for a children’s newspaper with a circulation of 220,000 in 1978, I had collected public stories, legends and conversations that students studying at Armenian schools in various Soviet republics shared with me in their own dialects. I published two books of the best ones. The books were later translated into Turkish, English and German.”

Vartanyan recalls that in addition to Hemşinli Armenians he also focuses on Hemşinli Muslims. He notes that he has published several articles on Hemşinli Muslims and has added these articles to his archives. Due to his efforts Vartanyan has been recognized with the Armenian Writers Union Award. “I compile materials on Hemşinlis in Turkish as well. According to my calculations, there are up to 30,000 Hemşinli Muslims in Turkey today. Even if most them can not read and write in Armenian, they can speak the Hemşinli dialect. In recent years, Dr. Sahakyan examined 16th century Ottoman tax registers and published an article on the demographics and names of regions in Bayburt and Malatya. Nowadays he is focusing on Trabzon. He also has articles on Hemşinli Muslims that have been translated into different languages.”

Vartanyan, who worked for different newspapers in the 1980s, also found evidence of Hemşinli Muslims in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. He notes that most Hemşinli Muslims moved from the Black Sea region to Soviet lands (mainly Adjara and Abkhazia) either during the forced migration period (1915) or before it. Then the Soviets forced them and other minorities to migrate to Central Asia (Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan). “In 1944, 1,385 Hemşinli Muslims living in Adjara [Georgia] were expelled to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan on the orders of Stalin. People from Trabzon’s Sürmene and Hemşin also came to these areas. In 1984 I found Hemşinli Muslims in Kyrgyzstan’s Osh and Kyzyl-Kiya regions. Then I found more in Kazakhstan. There were up to 3,000 Hemşinli Muslims living in Central Asia. I took their photographs and wrote down their stories, legends and songs. I published a portion of these in a book in 2009. I have thousands of archives.”

In addition to journalism, Vartanyan is also busy with publishing. Publishing letters and articles from Hemşinli people has become his second job. He wants to do even more. He wants to set up a new building for the newspaper, a publishing house so he can publish more on Hemşin and set up a museum on Hemşin culture. This is his dream. He also wants to see Rize and Hemşin. While he doesn’t travel to Hemşin, his newspaper does. And that is enough for him for now.

Andan Genç: ‘He is working to preserve the Hemşin culture’
          “I’ve known my journalist friend Sergey Vartanyan for a very long time. I personally saw the trouble he goes through to publish the Voice of Hemşin newspaper last year when I went to Yerevan. He came across Hemşinli Armenians in Russia for the first time in Sochi in 1969. He then intensely researched Hemşinli people and the Hemşin culture in the central parts of Russia and in the Central Asian republics. He publishes his research and the papers of researchers who study this culture in the Voice of Hemşin. For the last five years he has been publishing the newspaper monthly. But sometimes it takes up to three months. He mails his new editions to his supporters in Russia, Abkhazia, Syria, the US, Lebanon and Turkey through his own means. My friend Vartanyan has also been compiling Hemşin stories, songs and legends since 1969. He also has some books that have been translated into Turkish. He prepares his newspaper in an environment that is reminiscent of the local press in Turkey. There are serious financial difficulties involved. But despite all the challenges and hardships he is working very hard to preserve the Hemşin culture and language. He does not have private funds and he finds asking for money inappropriate. He does everything on his own. He welcomes all kinds of support.”
          Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by Homshetsi
            Hi,
            I'm from Hemshin.My family name Apeloğlu(according to your Apelian) and I wonder my history but please if you tell cliche story,you won't try this.And please when you tell history, you will be objective.

Also can you explain my village,my speak language and my questions ?

--So I don't know mean Apel,Cheymakchur,Palovit,Elevit,Xenechi,Gidal....e tc.--
            If you are interested in place names, as a Hemshinli, what you should be doing is recording all the old names of places - I don't mean the names of big settlements that are on maps, but the names of streams, hills, fields and meadows, forests, features in the landscape, etc. These are the names that will be permanently lost within a generation unless someone records them.

The traditional Hemshinli lifestyle is almost dead - even as little as 15 years ago the summer pastures were still full of cattle, now they are almost deserted and the more remote yayla villages are abandoned and falling into ruin.

PS - "ovit" (hovit) means a high valley or pasture, "pal" means a fog or mist, chur" means a stream (or a valley with a stream in it), "cheymak" means white.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I have already recorded them,such as causes I was asked to you.... And please if you haven't got a proof,you couldn't judge me !...

Yes,I have realized our lifestyle is failing also has died.But it's cause isn't that we are degenerating.Plateau (yayla) culture is reducing because we have to emigrate to big cities.And we had to harmonized city lifestyle,we have done...

We never forget our culture,just between us live, like. we didn't forget location traditional names, never...(we use Cheymakchur,Kavron,Qetkelax...etc) still....

Wolds where you said 'derelicta' are announced tourism region and people come back for live there. they're redintegrating houses'.Also more people are -than animals- living, travelling that mountains.

And can you help to me about translate...(Homshetsi mean).Finally I want to remind to you chur=jur ... my opinion !
              First of all use the real names in armenian not the turkish one since if you are hemshin your history is with the armenian one not the turkish which in reality exist to shame you.
              Things will be better if turk let greeks and armenians come and visit there ancestral lands,and open borders with armenia.

Comment

Firstly I didn't say this words are Turkish ...Did you see ? And why you don't answer my "question"? I asked to you "what this word mean?" you said to me "this word is Armenian" ..I'm confused???

I think you are missunderstand me ? I know my history cross Armenian people...I know and I want learning detail history,words meaning....

And Turkish government gave permission divine service in Sumela...This behavior peace bid,isn't it ?But the peace negotiations would be mutually....So Armenian goverment and people give over put forward territorial claims....!

edit:I don't shame speak Turkish I don't shame use Homshetsi words...
                You are a real piece of work you come here asking for help about your name and then you praise Turks , The reason you dont know who you are is cause the Turks stole your identity and you love them for that

Comment

Homshetsi, if you can read this, I strongly advise you not to frequent general Armenian message boards like this. I give the same advice to all Turks (but, alas, I was not able to give the advice to you in time). You will find the very worst sort of people here and will leave with only contempt for Armenians. And it is pointless asking difficult questions because 95% of those here are too ignorant to answer those questions, or indeed provide credible answers to any questions.

I know there are Turkish message boards that have Hemshin-related content (though I don't know how good or bad they are - expect the worst, hope for the best). You could also try here - http://team-aow.discuforum.info - there are some Turkish speakers there.

And I think your posts may have been written using google translate - they were difficult to understand, and you are dealing here with people who like nothing better than see the worst in everyone (except themselves ) so mistranslations will just feed their prejudices. It is possible to get perfect translations from Turkish to English using google translate, but only if the original Turkish is very carefully written.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

And to whoever erased Homshetsi's postings - I strongly object to the erasing of a post that I took the time to reply to, and I strongly object to the erasing of Homshetsi's post written in reply to my reply.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

we use Cheymakchur,Kavron,Qetkelax...etc
                      Originally posted by UrMistake View Post
                      First of all use the real names in armenian not the turkish one since if you are hemshin your history is with the armenian one not the turkish which in reality exist to shame you.
                      Cheymakchur, Kavron, Qetkelax ARE the original names! Why do you feel so able to pontificate about things you do not know about?
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X