Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What's your record for pages of school material read within 24 hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your record for pages of school material read within 24 hours?

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    Reading for English is easier than reading legal stuff or scientific stuff. I read literature at a much faster face.

I don't have strategies jgk... Other than get started early so you can still read it all.
    Speed reading doesn't work. You sacrifice comprehension.

Sensory memory for vision (called iconic memory) lasts a fraction of a second.
    Maybe you can study the top speed readers in your city/area and see how they perform in different subjects of reading. Some of them have extremely high rates of comprehension and they read diagonally down the page from the top left corner to the bottom right in one sweep, lasting only about a few seconds. They read a page at a time instead of lines at a time on a page.

I think it's directly related to sensory memory and working memory and your findings could be quite useful. Personally, this is a domain I'd be interested in studying from a psycholinguistic approach.
    Last edited by jgk3; 02-11-2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I don't need to do it, it's been done.

You cannot read the words without the eye fixating there and we're blind between fixations (during saccades). Therefore it's impossible to read diagonally.

Moving the eyes takes time, so it's been tested by flashing the words in succession in the same spot, thinking it would increase speed and it didn't help much because we're capped by the time it takes to process meaning.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
        I don't need to do it, it's been done.

You cannot read the words without the eye fixating there and we're blind between fixations (during saccades). Therefore it's impossible to read diagonally.

Moving the eyes takes time, so it's been tested by flashing the words in succession in the same spot, thinking it would increase speed and it didn't help much because we're capped by the time it takes to process meaning.
        Yes, but the variable is how many lexical items you can catch at a glimpse. If you increase the periphery of your "fixation" and have a developped top down processing approach that regulates matters of syntactic functions and also sheer intelligent anticipation of words in a phrase in a text, the matter of reading comprehension changes from a scheme of 1 word fixations to a matter of throwing fishing nets into the pool of text and catching several lexical items at a glimpse, tied together by an automatic, non-eye related but linguistic engagement in putting the meaning of the text together based on tacit knowledge of syntax, morphology, phonology, etc...

So I'm going to have to read the methodology behind the tests you've read about on this matter Siggie, and then someday seek to conduct my own tests. I already have a few subjects in mind

Comment

You can improve to a degree, but nothing close to what speed readers claim. You can't increase periphery. It's impossible to see at a resolution necessary to read words in what you're calling the periphery. You need to review your physiology of the eye. The fovea is tiny and that's where vision is sharp enough to read text the size of print.
          If you just catch a few words here and there, the comprehension would be awful. We skip over words like, the, a, of, etc to improve speed (in other words we do not fixate on these words). Skipping other words would affect comprehension. We can only fill in so much with TDP and even when we do we're essentially guessing, so accuracy/comprehension would be poor.

I wish I had research to share, but I know this stuff from class.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Alright, thanks for your input Siggie. If I need citations on what you've read about it, would you have them on hand?

Comment

That's what I meant when I said I wish I had research to share. They don't exactly publish evaluations of pseudoscientific products/programs anyway though.
              So, no I don't have citations... I did email a friend who is a vision researcher, so she might have something.

You can look up Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP) though and see if that gets you anything helpful.

Here's something to tide you over though.

Comment

Don't know about school material but I have read an entire book in one day, the entire Sasuntsi Davit Trilogy for example. There have been more such cases.
                THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

I've done that too Saco. I once called in sick to finish a Harry Potter book!

We are talking more about reading for school (non-literature).

Comment

I once called in sick to finish a Harry Potter book!
                    Which one ? I read the fifth I think in like three days, mostly because I didn't have much time. I especially love reading at night.

We are talking more about reading for school (non-literature).
                    Can't really remember but I've read my share, lol. I've done a lot of writing if that counts. I was supposed to write an easy that couldn't exceed like 2 or 3 pages. My essay was about 6-7 pages long in the end. I wrote it in great detail and eventually, I couldn't finish it properly without exceeding the page limit. My teacher really liked it but I was very close to failing my exam, lol. Been cautious when adding detail into any of my writings after that .
                    Last edited by Sako; 02-23-2009, 10:57 AM.
                    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
                      Which one ? I read the fifth I think in like three days, mostly because I didn't have much time. I especially love reading at night.
                      I think it was The Order of The Phoenix. I started that one at night and then finished it by evening the next day (spent all day reading since I didn't go to work).

Comment

Working...
                      X