Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

History of the Armenian Genocide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: History of the Armenian Genocide

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    And, (and also with due respect to Crimson Clow and his obvious good intentions), I have to agree.
    Do you feel that there is important information missing from this brief summary? I'd be happy to hear suggestions on how we can make this more complete.
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by HagopJan View Post
      Everybody on this forum should read Dadrian, Sarafian, Kaiser. With all due respect this thread is for kiddies.
      Crimson's post is an excellent introduction to the AG. It claims to be nothing more. The effort put into condensing, in a comprehensible way, is highly commendable and for it to be dismissed as above actually shows no due respect!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
        The thing is, most people will not even read a page of scholarly books because they are in reality either lazy or too dumb (dummies). That is why such a summary is necessary for the average person so that they AT LEAST know something beyond April 24, 1915 (if they even know that to begin with). This is the entire history of the genocide and the events that preceded it as short as possible.

Oh and I would recommend Akcam too in the list of people you named.
        I read scholarly books, just that I am not so good on quoting them.

Comment

I would like to thank you Crimson for the short overview of the Armenian Genocide.
          It is very helpful as it's concise and easy to read.
          I am curious if you are Armenian or have any connections with the Armenians.
          I am Armenian- Canadian, and I wonder if I can use some citations from your article during the commemoration evening in Calgary on April 24th.
          Thanks again

Comment

Thank you, LucineHarut. Yes, I am 100% Armenian by blood, but I was born in America in a non-Armenian community. And yes, you are more than welcome to use anything you want from the piece.

Comment

Do you feel that there is important information missing from this brief summary? I'd be happy to hear suggestions on how we can make this more complete.
              Honestly, I don't see any brief summary of the Armenian Genocide in this thread.

What I see is a long, rambling, mostly off-topic posting.

Would we see in an brief summary of the xxxish Holocaust, a Biblical account of the Garden of Eden, then mention of semi-mythical figures like Abraham and mythical events like the parting of the Red Sea and the arrival into the Promised Land, then accounts of some of the bad things Romans did to xxxs, and then mention of the socio-economic developement of late-Medieval and Renaissance Europe and the implications of the discovery and colonisation of the Americas, followed by a summary of the various wars and revolutions that took place in 19th century Europe, then a summary of WW1 and its aftermath, and then at the very end, a paragraph or two mentioning Hitler and railway trains and gas chambers and yellow stars and what not. No, we would not.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Honestly, I don't see any brief summary of the Armenian Genocide in this thread.
                Really? Well in that case I would simply love to read a short summary of the Armenian Genocide written by your furry grace . Let's see what a brief summary really looks like if you have something to say ...

Criticizing is easy ...
                THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post

What I see is a long, rambling, mostly off-topic posting.

Would we see in an brief summary of the xxxish Holocaust, a Biblical account of the Garden of Eden, then mention of semi-mythical figures like Abraham and mythical events like the parting of the Red Sea and the arrival into the Promised Land, then accounts of some of the bad things Romans did to xxxs, and then mention of the socio-economic developement of late-Medieval and Renaissance Europe and the implications of the discovery and colonisation of the Americas, followed by a summary of the various wars and revolutions that took place in 19th century Europe, then a summary of WW1 and its aftermath, and then at the very end, a paragraph or two mentioning Hitler and railway trains and gas chambers and yellow stars and what not. No, we would not.
                  Still missing the point, I see. No, you wouldn't see a summary in such fashion for the Holocaust. But you're comparing apples to oranges. The J E Wish Holocaust is a well known, well established event, for which only a handful of psychos argue against. Therefore, you need only explain the details of the actual Holocaust itself to educate someone on "the truth". On the other hand, the AG is a totally different story. The perpetrators of this crime deny it to this day, and for a multitude of reasons. You know as well as I do the excuses and reasons the Turks use to justify deporting the Armenians, as well as the reasoning to the claims that the deportations were peaceful, and there was never any intention of annihilation. Therefore, things are far more complex when explaining the Armenian genocide.

In the case of the Armenian genocide, the details for the chronology of what happened post 1914 are FAR less important than what led up to those events. It is critical to shoot down the claims that Armenians perpetrated genocide against the Muslims, or that we were revolting in gigantic numbers, etc. Unfortunately, the Turks have done a great job of making a mess of the history prior to the genocide, thus why you HAVE to dig back deep into the history between the Turks and Armenians, and walk people through what transpired before it, leading up to the ultimate solution. You have to establish the circumstances that would fill people with so much hate that they'd try to wipe out another peoples. The point was to lay everything out very clearly, and concisely, from who each of these people were/where they came from, to how the Ottoman Empire came to be, to how the powers repeatedly changed hands, causing a mired of consequences, to how this talk of Armenian revolts is a myth, to when/why/how genocide came to be "the ultimate solution". I clearly stated this in my intro to the essay:

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
                  I purposely designed this piece to provide preemptive explanations to the standard Turkish arguments and events raised by making sure I covered those periods of history, and what REALLY happened.
                  Perhaps I should have also mentioned that this piece is for EVERYone, not just Armenians. I have it plastered on every website I frequent/am a well known member of, where 99% of the members have never heard of Armenians, much less about the genocide. That's partially why I started out by giving a brief rundown of Armenian history, and how tied they are to their Christian faith. I'm an atheist myself, so such things mean nothing to me, but it is critical to establish the mood that an oppressive Islamic state would have over them, especially by a group of people who were non-Anatolian, and came out of no where to take these lands over. Most people (including many Armenians and Turks) don't realize that Turks are not Anatolian by ancestry.

Then there's the Turk's claim that we lived side by side in harmony for hundreds of years, so why would they want to suddenly commit genocide against the Armenians? I wanted to clearly point out that this was NOT the case. Just because Christians weren't slaughtered by the thousands by the Muslims everyday does NOT mean they lived together in some Utopian blissful state. We were oppressed prior to Sultan Hamid II, but things got even worse when he took over. I tried to give a quick rundown of that.

Next comes the claims of a history of mass rebellions by Armenians. We're usually blamed for instigating the Hamidian and Adana massacres, especially the Henchag and Dashnag parties. If that's the case, why were 124 Muslims found guilty for instigating/being involved in the Adana massacres? This is a fact that a lot of history buffs of that region don't even know about. And as for the HM period, I wanted to clarify that these "revolts" started with Armenians peacefully protesting their oppression, and those protests being met with violence. THEN small pockets of Armenian revolutionaries reacted violently as revenge for the way Hamid was handling the protests. And if these parties were so violent and dangerous, and committed genocide or massacres against Muslims, why was the Dashnag party part of the CUP when the initial Liberal Union wing took over in 1908? Hell, why did they HELP the CUP take over in 1908?

It is SUPER critical that people understand the number of times powers changed hands in the Ottoman Empire, and how each one of those changes impacted the minorities. It is only through realizing/being educated on this that one can understand why a genocide took place. This wasn't some random change of heart the government had. There was a long history of violence towards the Christians, and constantly building hostility and tension that, coupled with motives of greed (oil), culminated into genocide. THAT is FAAAAAR more important in the case of the Armenian genocide than details on which town got deported when, and how many were killed, etc. THAT is what I mean by a brief summary about the history of the AG (not the genocide itself). If you want details about the chronology of events post 1914, there is already a very detailed one pinned at the top of this board.

The gist of what atrocities happened during the actual deportations/genocide are easily covered in the break down of the genocide steps. Greater detail really isn't necessary to make people understand that they were uprooted from their 3000 year old ancestral lands, and either killed along the way, or left for dead. I spent the majority of the piece going over what DID need great detail. The circumstances that led up to those atrocities. I really shouldn't have to explain this to someone who is supposedly well versed on the genocide, and understands the situation and issues that surrounds it, but you seemingly keep playing dumb.

Comment

The thing is, most people will not even read a page of scholarly books because they are in reality either lazy or too dumb (dummies). That is why such a summary is necessary for the average person so that they AT LEAST know something beyond April 24, 1915 (if they even know that to begin with). This is the entire history of the genocide and the events that preceded it as short as possible.
                    "Most people...are in reality either lazy or too dumb"? You have a high opinion of "most people" on this forum.
                    My point is that their are better written summaries for "the lazy or too dumb" Armenians, just google "armenian genocide summary introduction" and check the top sites. For instance wikipedia.

Oh and I would recommend Akcam too in the list of people you named.
                    Yes but I have mixed feelings about Taner Akcam and it has nothing to do with his work.

Comment

2 things. First, you apparently missed the point of this thread, as I very clearly stated that this was designed to give a brief education on the background of this event, not to show you everything I've learned in 7 years. Most people are too lazy to read the 6 pages I typed, let alone the 60,000+ pages I've read over the course of nearly a decade.
                      Maybe i did not miss the point and your "summary" is you're not being objective because it's your "baby". My point is that there are much better written summaries for the "lazy" ones, and it takes less than 20 seconds to find them on the web. Why reinvent the wheel when it's a poor reproduction?
                      "60,000+ pages" is about 200-300 books, that's all came out of 200-300 books?

Second, if you're getting your info from the likes of Dadrian, then with all due respect, YOU'RE reading kiddie material. Dadrian insists on clinging to evidence that has been proven false/fraudulent, as well as claiming that religion was the primary reason for the genocide, which if you did your homework, you'd know is wrong. If you're going to recommend historians, or scholars to people to read, please refer them to better, or less biased sources.
                      Of course people are "lazy", Dadrian is "kiddie material" and you are modest.
                      Last edited by HagopJan; 04-24-2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X