Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

History of the Armenian Genocide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: History of the Armenian Genocide

I agree that many Armenians living in Turkey have embraced Turkish culture but it's no different than Armenians living in America that have embraced American culture or those in the Middle East who have embraced Arabic culture. I find it's a necessary evil for survival as long as they don't forget their Armenian culture and identity.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      I agree that many Armenians living in Turkey have embraced Turkish culture but it's no different than Armenians living in America that have embraced American culture or those in the Middle East who have embraced Arabic culture. I find it's a necessary evil for survival as long as they don't forget their Armenian culture and identity.
      Dear KanadaHye,

I respekt your ideas and agree in most of your arguments. Indeed it's important that an armenian should not forget his culture and identity where ever he lives in the world.
      I guess you use the word "to embace" advised, because their is a big differance between to embace a culture or to be assimilate.

In 1983 I was for 10 days in Toronto and I like Toronto and the armenian community there.

Best regards
      Hayayrun

Comment

Originally posted by Hayayrun View Post
        Dear KanadaHye,

I respekt your ideas and agree in most of your arguments. Indeed it's important that an armenian should not forget his culture and identity where ever he lives in the world.
        I guess you use the word "to embace" advised, because their is a big differance between to embace a culture or to be assimilate.

In 1983 I was for 10 days in Toronto and I like Toronto and the armenian community there.

Best regards
        Hayayrun
        I agree Hayayrun. To be honest, even with all the cultural events and Armenian organizations available to the youth in Toronto, they are still rather marginally Armenian in culture. Perhaps it was different in 1983.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I agree Hayayrun. To be honest, even with all the cultural events and Armenian organizations available to the youth in Toronto, they are still rather marginally Armenian in culture. Perhaps it was different in 1983.

Most Armenians that still reside in istanbul are basically turks with Armenian surnames. I know what Hayayrun is talking about. Of course there are ones who kept their Armenianess too but they are in the minority.
          For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
          to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
            Most Armenians that still reside in istanbul are basically turks with Armenian surnames. I know what Hayayrun is talking about. Of course there are ones who kept their Armenianess too but they are in the minority.
            I don't think Turks go to church and there are around 30 Armenian churches in Istanbul. There are also about 5 Armenian highschools and 15 elementary schools. Turks also don't get baptized.

Comment

Dear Armanen,

I am positively surprised, that you support my unorthodox opinion. Indeed most of those pseudo armenians, who live in turkey are, as you already said, basically turks only with armenian names (firstname or surname).
              They speak turkish, their lifestyle is turkish, hear all the time only turkish music, watch only turkish television, think and feel like a turk. Their souls and hearts beat turkish.
              Some of them go to a armenian church, but during the "badarak" they don't understand even one word.
              They speak during the ceremony, without feeling ashamed, turkish with each other for e.g. "do you know how end the foodball game between Besiktas and Fenerbahce".
              Can you imagine my brother, in Samatya (today this place is named Kocamustafapasa) their is a beautiful old armenian church "surp kevork" since many years they established to perform the whole "badarak" in turkish.
              Please it is enough for today, I have to stop writing about this stuation in Turkey, because, every time when I am writing about those "pseudo turks" I feel furiosness.

Best regards
              Hayayrun
              Last edited by Hayayrun; 02-24-2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayayrun View Post
                Dear Armanen,

I am positively surprised, that you support my unorthodox opinion. Indeed most of those pseudo armenians, who live in turkey are, as you already said, basically turks only with armenian names (firstname or surname).
                They speak turkish, their lifestyle is turkish, hear all the time only turkish music, watch only turkish television, think and feel like a turk. Their souls and hearts beat turkish.
                Some of them go to a armenian church, but during the "badarak" they don't understand even one word.
                They speak during the ceremony, without feeling ashamed, turkish with each other for e.g. "do you know how end the foodball game between Besiktas and Fenerbahce".
                Can you imagine my brother, in Samatya (today this place is named Kocamustafapasa) their is a beautiful old armenian church "surp kevork" since many years they established to perform the whole "badarak" in turkish.
                Please it is enough for today, I have to stop writing about this stuation in Turkey, because, every time when I am writing about those "pseudo turks" I feel furiosness.

Best regards
                Hayayrun
                Turkey isn't the only place where Armenians are being assimilated. The problem isn't any different in Turkey than it is in France or Canada or the United Kingdom or Australia or America or anywhere in the world for that matter. The Armenian community in Turkey however aren't free to be Armenian but those in other parts of the world ARE FREE yet the forces of assimilation are greater than their exposure to Armenian culture.

Recent news in Turkey:

Armenians have been included on electoral party lists in Turkey: ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP)

Melkon Karakiose, Tatios Bebek, Margar Yesayan, Jerry Khrimyan and Petros Shirinoglu; main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) – Arev Jebej; opposition Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) – Gegham Karapetyan.

The leadership of pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy party considers nomination of Hayko Baghdad, a representative of the Armenian community of Istanbul.

“If members of the Armenian community and parties reach an agreement, there is a great possibility that Armenians will join the Turkish parliament after a 45-year break,” Zaman reported.

23 non-Muslims, including 8 J3ws, 8 Greeks, 6 Armenians and one Turk-protestant, were elected to the Turkish parliament during the entire period of the Turkish Republic’s existence.

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/world...r_45year_break

Comment

Turkey isn't the only place where Armenians are being assimilated. The problem isn't any different in Turkey than it is in France or Canada or the United Kingdom or Australia or America or anywhere in the world for that matter. The Armenian community in Turkey however aren't free to be Armenian but those in other parts of the world ARE FREE yet the forces of assimilation are greater than their exposure to Armenian culture.

Recent news in Turkey:

Armenians have been included on electoral party lists in Turkey: ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP)

Melkon Karakiose, Tatios Bebek, Margar Yesayan, Jerry Khrimyan and Petros Shirinoglu; main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) – Arev Jebej; opposition Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) – Gegham Karapetyan.

The leadership of pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy party considers nomination of Hayko Baghdad, a representative of the Armenian community of Istanbul.

“If members of the Armenian community and parties reach an agreement, there is a great possibility that Armenians will join the Turkish parliament after a 45-year break,” Zaman reported.

23 non-Muslims, including 8 J3ws, 8 Greeks, 6 Armenians and one Turk-protestant, were elected to the Turkish parliament during the entire period of the Turkish Republic’s existence.

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/world...r_45year_break

We all know this. The point is that turkey committed Genocide, denies it to this day, and these 'Armenians' are still living in this country and are more turkish in culture than Armenian in culture.
                  For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

We all know this. The point is that turkey committed Genocide, denies it to this day, and these 'Armenians' are still living in this country and are more turkish in culture than Armenian in culture.
                    What Armanen's trying to say is that for most Armenians, it strikes a raw nerve to see Armenians living Turkey among Turks after everything that happened to us and the way they are still treated there (even if it might have gotten better). The entire diaspora is assimilating but to see Armenians assimilate into Turks of all things leaves a foul taste in the mouths of most Armenians.

What we fail to understand is that the Bolsahyes do not consider themselves part of the diaspora because they were in Constantinople long before the genocide, for generations long. Before Armenia's independence in 1918, Tiflis and Constantinople were the de facto capitals of Armenian intellectuals for Eastern Armenia and Western Armenia respectively. However, seeing that Bolsahyes started leaving Istanbul in the 60s, 70s, the numbers have quickly diminished and it won't take long for 70.000 Armenians to drown in a sea of 70 million Turks/Kurds. What many Armenians would like to see is Armenians finally leaving Istanbul and settling in Armenia. This is not happening on a large scale but there are people I know who have developed strong bonds with the homeland (Google: Melisa Boz). Others are leaving for the West, like most diasporans in the region, which actually is an even faster way to assimilate but "at least they don't assimilate into Turks".
                    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                      What Armanen's trying to say is that for most Armenians, it strikes a raw nerve to see Armenians living Turkey among Turks after everything that happened to us and the way they are still treated there (even if it might have gotten better). The entire diaspora is assimilating but to see Armenians assimilate into Turks of all things leaves a foul taste in the mouths of most Armenians.

What we fail to understand is that the Bolsahyes do not consider themselves part of the diaspora because they were in Constantinople long before the genocide, for generations long. Before Armenia's independence in 1918, Tiflis and Constantinople were the de facto capitals of Armenian intellectuals for Eastern Armenia and Western Armenia respectively. However, seeing that Bolsahyes started leaving Istanbul in the 60s, 70s, the numbers have quickly diminished and it won't take long for 70.000 Armenians to drown in a sea of 70 million Turks/Kurds. What many Armenians would like to see is Armenians finally leaving Istanbul and settling in Armenia. This is not happening on a large scale but there are people I know who have developed strong bonds with the homeland (Google: Melisa Boz). Others are leaving for the West, like most diasporans in the region, which actually is an even faster way to assimilate but "at least they don't assimilate into Turks".

Well put. I did goodle Melissa and just got results of her on facebook. Is there something specific on her you could link me to? Also, she may want to change her last name, B*z is not a good lastname to have in Armenian.

Comment

Working...
                      X