Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Monte Melkonian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monte Melkonian

Mher I'd like to thank you for presenting this 5 part interview with Monte in English.
    Like Monte I grew up not knowing my own language.
    When as small children ( under 5 years old ) my grandmother would give my sister and I a bath she would say give me your hand (? tat-teeg ?) or foot (? door-deeg?) & at night she would make warm milk with honey and butter in it and say... Here is your (? Got-teeg ?). I just found out from an Armenian in Watertown Mass that the ? Teeg ? Sound means she was saying ... Give me your " little " hand or foot or here is your little milk. So I now realize all the Armenian I know is baby talk.
    Thanks again from Artashes
    On a different note --- this is the 3rd time I've written this because the first two times even though I've logged in and done all

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
      Can you please keep some things holy and free from your cancer?
      So you think an essay by Monte Melkonian's wife is "cancer". We have just had an ignorant member questioning your "some arab" avatar photo. But what is your excuse for its use given the clear contempt you exhibited here for his family and for his wife's opinions on today's Armenia that are inspired by her memories of her husband's writings and thoughts ?
      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 01-15-2014, 09:20 AM.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        So you think an essay by Monte Melkonian's wife is "cancer". We have just had an ignorant member questioning your "some arab" avatar photo. But what is your excuse for its use given the clear contempt you exhibited here for his family and for his wife's opinions on today's Armenia that are inspired by her memories of her husband's writings and thoughts ?
        I have no problem with her or what she has to say. I have a problem with you specifically finding something negative to post on this day, turning even a hero's birthday into a Armenia is horrible thread. You could have posted a lot of things, maybe even finding something positive to say. But no, the only way you could contribute to this thread is by introducing something negative. This is what I mean by taking it to new lows. Vrej posted the same thing in Armenian by the way, it was bad enough having to read it once, and I restrained myself to not comment. But you had to repost it in another language, so we could read it a second time to really drive home the point of hopelessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
          Mher I'd like to thank you for presenting this 5 part interview with Monte in English.
          Like Monte I grew up not knowing my own language.
          When as small children ( under 5 years old ) my grandmother would give my sister and I a bath she would say give me your hand (? tat-teeg ?) or foot (? door-deeg?) & at night she would make warm milk with honey and butter in it and say... Here is your (? Got-teeg ?). I just found out from an Armenian in Watertown Mass that the ? Teeg ? Sound means she was saying ... Give me your " little " hand or foot or here is your little milk. So I now realize all the Armenian I know is baby talk.
          Thanks again from Artashes
          On a different note --- this is the 3rd time I've written this because the first two times even though I've logged in and done all
          you're very welcome
          Monte is a great introduction for a lot of Diasporans in getting involved in this cause, because here's an all American man who didn't know he was Armenian until he was 12, , who didn't speak a word of Armenian until he was 20, who didn't get to Armenia until he was 32, three years before his death. Yet he went on to become one of the most significant individuals in our nations history. I really recommend his biography written by his brother, a university professor. Those interviews are also a great introduction to Artsakh and the history of the conflict.

Comment

Video of Monte Melkonian and his men after they ambushed some Azeris and killed them during the war. Funny scene near the end.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
              I have no problem with her or what she has to say. I have a problem with you specifically finding something negative to post on this day, turning even a hero's birthday into a Armenia is horrible thread. You could have posted a lot of things, maybe even finding something positive to say. But no, the only way you could contribute to this thread is by introducing something negative. This is what I mean by taking it to new lows. Vrej posted the same thing in Armenian by the way, it was bad enough having to read it once, and I restrained myself to not comment. But you had to repost it in another language, so we could read it a second time to really drive home the point of hopelessness.

You words exhibited clear contempt for his wife's opinions on today's Armenia, opinions that were inspired by her memories of her husband's writings and thoughts. And that contempt suggests you have no real interest in Melkonian's opinions or learning from them. SHE wrote it for "a hero's birthday", not me! And she wrote it to be read by others. But you dismiss it as just "Armenia is horrible" stuff, and think you know more than even his wife about what should and should not be said in public about Monte Melkonian or about what things should be learned from him.
              Last edited by bell-the-cat; 01-16-2014, 03:51 PM.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

OK knowing some of you guys I am going to get major flak for this but I met sedas sister here in NYC during some ASA/AYF gathering. I think her name was lusin? Not very impressed and thats putting it lightly. Nice girl but very leftist liberal feminist westernized type. Even heard Sedas got married to an odar after Montes death and was living in Alaska for some time. I dont know what she is up to now. Anyway why is it important what Montes wife thinks about anything? You guys sound ridiculas. its like saying the catholic popes barber is an atheist. So what?

Comment

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                  Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                  Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by Serjik View Post
                    OK knowing some of you guys I am going to get major flak for this but I met sedas sister here in NYC during some ASA/AYF gathering. I think her name was lusin? Not very impressed and thats putting it lightly. Nice girl but very leftist liberal feminist westernized type. Even heard Sedas got married to an odar after Montes death and was living in Alaska for some time. I dont know what she is up to now. Anyway why is it important what Montes wife thinks about anything? You guys sound ridiculas. its like saying the catholic popes barber is an atheist. So what?
                    ya axper I was at an event hosted by the Hayrenaser organization in honor of his birthday in Dec 2011, and they did a video interview with her and she was in Alaska. In regards to marrying a non-Armenian you can't blame her. In the Armenian community it's not very easily to be remarried if you are a woman. I wouldn't be surprised about the whole liberal westernized feminist crap, as it seems to get people here, especially woman, pretty fast.

I don't know what Monte would do, and I don't want to be like one of those idiots who try to say what someone dead would do, but I find it hard to believe that a guy who had the utmost optimism when there was no Armenia, or when he was in prison, or when he was fighting an improbable war, would just say " oh this is hopeless, we need to feel sorry for ourselves".

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                      You words exhibited clear contempt for his wife's opinions on today's Armenia, opinions that were inspired by her memories of her husband's writings and thoughts. And that contempt suggests you have no real interest in Melkonian's opinions or learning from them. SHE wrote it for "a hero's birthday", not me! And she wrote it to be read by others. But you dismiss it as just "Armenia is horrible" stuff, and think you know more than even his wife about what should and should not be said in public about Monte Melkonian or about what things should be learned from him.
                      My concern was your attempt to make everything about Armenia negative. If you saw an article that day on Hetq about someone praising Monte or highlighting his life, you would never have posted it. Oh No. Because that's not your job. Your job is to create negativity, cancer, doom, and gloom. So you found an article that does that. I don't care what her writings were inspired by. I don't even ask how your gonna prove what inspired her writings. I don't want to descend to these new lows that you always manage to go to. The bottom line is, this sort of negativity, its not constructive criticism, its not talking about what should be improved, or what would be a better way to do things. It's just someone listing general vague negatives about a country, and leaving it at that. It does nothing to improve Armenia. It only contributes to a environment of hopelessness, and I don't see how this is helpful to the Armenian Cause. So she's entitled to her opinion, and discussing her husband. But that doesn't make those opinion valid or worthy of reading.

Comment

Working...
                      X