Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

NBA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBA News

LeBron James makes it official: It's Miami

See ya, Cleveland.

Sorry, Chicago, New York and New Jersey. Maybe next time around, Clippers.

LeBron James chose superstar help over the comforts of home and is heading for Miami because he wants to win a championship with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Warren Buffett to LeBron: 'Call me' Health deteriorates for legendary college coach Historic round for PGA golfer NBA, get ready: A superstar trio has just been born.

Ending weeks of will-he-or-won’t-he speculation, the two-time MVP said Thursday night that he’s decided to join the Heat and leave the Cavaliers after an unsuccessful seven-year quest for the ring he covets.

“I can’t say it was always in my plans, because I never thought it was possible,” James said on a made-for-Lebron live show on ESPN. “But the things that the Miami Heat franchise have done, to free up cap space and be able to put themselves in a position this summer to have all three of us, it was hard to turn down. Those are two great players, two of the greatest players that we have in this game today.”

Olympic teammates in Beijing, James, Bosh and Wade all helped deliver gold medals.

This time, it’ll be about a gold trophy, the NBA championship one - the one Wade got in 2006, the one that James and Bosh have yet to touch.

“Winning is a huge thing for me,” James said from a studio in Greenwich, Conn., where an audience of kids from the Boys and Girls club was present for the announcement.

It’s a huge victory for the Heat, which got commitments from Wade and Bosh on Wednesday. That duo, along with James, formed the upper echelon of the most-celebrated free-agent period in league history.

Heat president Pat Riley landed them all, a three-pack of stars to help shape his quest for a dynasty in Miami.

“There’s magic in the number three,” Wade said, a nod to his jersey number.

And for Cleveland, a city scorned for generations by some of sports’ biggest letdowns, James’ long-awaited words represented a defeat perhaps unlike any other.

James is gone. Home sweet home no more.

He said he made the decision Thursday morning and knows it won’t go over well in Ohio.

“They can have mixed emotions, of course,” James said, adding that Akron will “always be home for me.”

His new home - part-time or otherwise - wasted no time in beginning the celebration. Horns honked outside the arena and on Miami Beach, where Wade was watching the announcement with members of his inner circle.

“It’s going to be crazy,” Wade said.

In Cleveland, the immediate reaction was predictably filled with outrage. Television images showed at least one fan burning James’ No. 23 wine-and-gold jersey.

“I can’t get involved in that,” he said. “I wanted to do what was best for LeBron James … At the end of the day, I feel awful. I feel even worse that I wasn’t able to bring an NBA championship to that city.

“To my real fans out there, I hope that you’ll continue to support me all the way to Miami.”

James met with six teams on the free-agent recruiting circuit, and said the process was “everything I thought, and more.”

“We are disappointed that LeBron James did not pick the New York Knicks, but we respect his decision,” Knicks president Donnie Walsh said.

Added Mikhail Prokhorov, the new owner of the New Jersey Nets, another club that swung and missed on landing James: “We have a vision of a championship team and need to invest wisely and for the long term. Fortunately, we have more than one plan to reach success, and, as I have found in all areas of my business, that is key to achieving it.”

And Bulls general manager Gar Forman said he was convinced his organization “made the strongest of bids to acquire LeBron James during this free agency period.”

James, Bosh and Wade entered the pros in the same year, the respective Nos. 1, 4 and 5 picks in the 2003 draft. They went their separate ways: James to Cleveland, Bosh to Toronto and Wade to Miami, where he won a championship partnered with center Shaquille O’Neal(notes) in 2006. That year, James, Bosh and Wade all signed matching contracts to make sure they were all unrestricted free agents at the same time.

Season-ticket sales for the Heat’s coming 41-game season were suspended Thursday afternoon after the entire supply of available seats were sold out. Not every seat has been released for sale yet and some will be held back for single-game purchases at the 19,600-capacity arena.

“I’ll believe it when I see it,” Louisville coach Rick Pitino said while attending a tournament of high school stars at Cleveland State University, co-sponsored by James and Nike, one of the 25-year-old’s corporate partners.

Believe it.

The Cavaliers, a franchise that was in ruins before winning a lottery drawing and bringing James up Interstate 77 from his Akron home, have had the upper hand - until now. They were able to offer him more money - $30 million more - than any other team.

This wasn’t about money, though.

Wade and Bosh both said they would take fewer dollars to make this happen. And that, combined with what Riley and Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said to James on the recruiting tour, was enough to pull off the stunner.

Because they have overspent while trying to please James and win the first title by any of Cleveland’s three pro sports teams since 1964, the Cavs are strapped with a few big contracts that have eaten up salary-cap space and prevented them from making roster moves to improve the team.

They’ve come close to winning it all with James, who at 6-foot-8 and 260 pounds has the quickness of a point guard and brute force of an NFL defensive lineman.

With the possible exception of Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant(notes), James is the NBA’s premier player, but his legacy cannot be fulfilled until he wins a championship.

If it’s going to happen soon, it’ll happen in Miami.

Wade has shared the spotlight in the Heat locker room before, doing so when O’Neal was there for the 2006 title run. And James said that if Wade wasn’t willing to make this megadeal happen, the trio wouldn’t be together.

“At this point, D-Wade, he’s the unselfish guy here,” James said. “To be able to have Chris Bosh and LeBron James, to welcome us to his team, it’s not about an individual here. Because if that was the case, D-Wade wouldn’t have asked us to join him or we wouldn’t have asked him if it was OK to come down here. It’s not about individuals. It’s about a team.”

Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

I was going to make a new thread for the upcoming season, but we can just use this one.

Lakers in '11.

I'll be sure to quote myself (again) in June 2011.
      Last edited by One-Way; 07-10-2010, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
        I was going to make a new thread for the upcoming season, but we can just use this one.

Lakers in '11.

I'll be sure to quote myself (again) in June 2011.
        Don't go overboard...Relax
        Last edited by One-Way; 07-10-2010, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Some other NBA news
          Lakers: Farmer is gone...he has gone to the New Jersey Nets
          Fisher will stay in L.A. cause he said he can't get away from Kobe

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
            Fisher will stay in L.A. cause he said he can't get away from Kobe
            Is that a direct quote?

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
              Is that a direct quote?

No it's not & I know why your saying that bc if it was you would say you need the link to prove it.

Comment

Heat add Juwan Howard for back-up role

MIAMI (Reuters) – Free agent Juwan Howard has signed with the Miami Heat as a reserve forward, the NBA team said Tuesday.

Howard, a veteran of 16 NBA seasons, averaged six points last season with the Portland Trail Blazers.

"He is a perfect fit behind Chris Bosh and Udonis Haslem," Heat president Pat Riley said in a statement.

Howard has a career average of 14.3 points and 6.5 rebounds with seven different teams.

Comment

Pepsi, I would like to take you to a Sacramento King's game when the season starts running again.

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
                    The sad tale of Ray Williams: 10-year NBA vet now homeless

Whichever way your sympathies run, the story of how Ray Williams' life fell apart should serve as a cautionary tale for athletes of the imperative to prepare for life after the game — and, frankly, a jarring reminder to all of us that we should appreciate what we're lucky enough to have while we're lucky enough to have it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,253262
                    Stay in school, kids. Learn math, especially integers since having negative numbers in net balance of income is never a good thing.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Stoudemire in Israel to explore his 'Hebrew roots'

JERUSALEM (AP) -- Amare Stoudemire already knows some Hebrew phrases and sports a Star of David tattoo. Now he's come to Israel to explore what might be his xxxish heritage.

The five-time NBA All-Star who recently signed with the New York Knicks is on a weeklong visit to learn about Israel, its language and religions. He believes he has "Hebrew roots" through his mother, Carrie.

"She studied the scriptures and history and she believes she is a Hebrew," he told The Associated Press on Friday in Jerusalem. "I grew up in a very spiritual home. It's not about religion, it's about spirituality for me."

Stoudemire said he was "soaking up the culture," with his girlfriend and a few other friends from home.

He has long suspected his xxxish lineage - Judaism is passed down through the mother's side. Stoudemire's agent, Happy Walters, said his client is a "student of history" and is "exploring religions in general." He added that Soudemire may turn to a genealogist when he returns to New York to dig deeper.

The 6-foot-10 forward signed a five-year, $100 million contract with the Knicks three weeks ago. He will now be playing in the city with the largest xxxish population in the United States.

The NBA features two xxxish players: Israeli Omri Casspi of the Sacramento Kings and Jordan Farmar of the New Jersey Nets. When Farmar joined the Los Angeles Lakers in 2006, he became the NBA's first xxxish player since Danny Schayes - son of Hall of Famer Dolph Schayes - retired in 1999.

Stoudemire said he's spoken to Casspi a few times about Judaism, "but we didn't go into details about it."

Stoudemire has begun studying Hebrew and his Twitter page features such words as "Shalom," "Le'chayim" and "ze ha'halom sheli," Hebrew for "this is my dream."

"It's great," he said. "Hebrew is the original language."

On Twitter, he also called himself "the new Reggie White," saying "I'm going 2 Israel 2 study Hebrew. It's time 2 get a better understanding on who we R."

White, the late NFL star and ordained minister, traveled to Israel late in his life and studied Hebrew to learn scripture in its original form.

Stoudemire spent his first eight NBA seasons with the Phoenix Suns, where he won the 2003 Rookie of Year award and became one of the league's dominant players. Now, his possible xxxish ties have stirred interest in Israel, with bloggers dreaming he could one day join the Israeli national team.

Stoudemire, however, laughed that off.

"I'm looking forward to playing in the 2012 Olympics," he said. "For the USA."

Comment

Working...
                      X