Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

NBA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBA News

Pepsi isn't telling you what happened, plain and simple, because Kobe Byrant was chosen as the MVP. Pepsi is such a sore loser and hater of the Lakers, that he won't even report the news on Kobe... that's how envious he is. In other news, the West defeated the East, 148-143. Kobe Byrant had 37 points and 14 rebounds, coming very close to the all-time high of 42 points held by Wilt Chamberlain. This marks Kobe's fourth MVP trophy. LeBron James had a triple double and became the second player (the first is Michael Jordan) in All-Star history to hold that record.

Comment

Ouch. O.o I guess you guys don't like each other very much...

I kind of assumed Kobe got MVP again. I hate the guy personally, but I can't deny he really does have talent.

Oh, wow. Ok thanks One-Way!!

(*By the way, I chose another film)

Comment

I don't hate Pepsi, but I hate how he scrutinizes and hates on the Lakers. I don't do that with the Spurs (his favorite team) because I don't hate team and even if I did, I wouldn't put every single loss in his face. Pepsi goes as far as PMing me when Lakers lose. In my opinion, that's pretty pathetic.

I also don't think Kobe is a ballhog; that argument was popular years ago, but if you still have that opinion, you clearly don't know much about basketball. The chances are you just follow the popular opinion now and then and flex your sports muscle by agreeing to these ignorant comments made on him.

I noticed that you chose a film, so thank you. I can't participate, unfortunately, at least not for a while.

Comment

Ah, I see. Ok

Well, I think he is a ballhog, having played basketball myself and managed a high school team and was assistant coach for it. I also typically have to watch Lakers with my family. (You know how people have "football parties"? My parents do a similar thing for the Lakers...). I didn't watch this last game, so he may have toned it down; but usually it seems like he almost needs to be a ballhog. He's a great shooter. He can quickly knock down shots, thus upping the score towards the last minute. I remember last season there were many games I thought the Lakers would surely lose, but then Kobe racked the score back up in the last quarter to win.

I like that analogy though: my sports muscle... I want it to be toned, not bulky

I recall reading your comments that you are very busy. I hope things aren't too hectic for you. Thanks for keeping forum in good shape too. I know how much time that can take... Eep.

Comment

Kobe was a ballhog back in the day when Shaq was on his team. The two had a clash of personalities and egos, and Kobe decided that the best way to be the attention of the team is to keep the ball to himself.

Kobe is no longer a ballhog. Kobe is the star of the team, in the same way that Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Dywane Wade and so on are stars. In recent years, Kobe has had an excellent team around him, so he has been able to pass the ball and have his team play, as opposed to the Kobe/Shaq era, when everybody on his team was horrible. Lakers, however, are not as powerful as they were one or two years ago, so Kobe has had to step up and keep the ball in his hands. The players on his teammate are not always consistent or reliable, which is why he might come off as a ballhog now. In general, however, and in recent years, Kobe has been passing, setting up his teammates, and has built an overall strong team around his star persona. Paul Gasol and Kobe Byrant are an effective force and the two play nicely off each other.

The problem with calling Kobe Byrant a ballhog is that many people don't watch every other team in the NBA as much as they watch the Lakers, and if they do, those teams don't have many stars. Did you guys watch Michael Jordan at all? Michael Jordan averaged 50 points - why isn't he a ballhog? In the same way that he wasn't, Kobe isn't a ballhog, because he lets his teammates play ball. Pau Gasol and everybody else who is willing to play, does play. Kobe steps up and has to turn the game around, but that doesn't constitute a ballhog. The definition of a ballhog would be a player who doesn't pass to the free man when he could. Kobe has proved himself otherwise in recent years.

I will admit that Kobe was going a bit of ballhogging at the All-Star game, though. That's purely because he wanted to be MVP and everybody plays that way in an All-Star Game. Kobe would probably be the first to admit it, and that he played that way to score and receive the attention. The All-Star Game is about showing off and he did that well, but on his own team, he is not a ballhog.

Comment

Well, to first clear things up, we have two definitions of ballhogs.
              yours was: "a player who doesn't pass to the free man when he could"
              when we teach basketball, a ballhog is anyone who has the most dominance of the ball in a game. By my definition, yes, i also consider Michael Jordan a ballhog.

(when will i ever learn my lesson? ) I've come across a few instances on this forum, where words have much more meaning than in 'my society'/'circle'. A ballhog isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can be, such as in your definition; but as i was arguing, it can be a necessity (whether to save the team, or to win an award like MVP).

Comment

I agree with your definition of a ballhog and, in that sense, it's not a negative thing at all. So, I don't see the big deal in making it seem like a negative thing that Kobe is/was a ballhog. Kobe is a star, he needs to be the driving force of the team. It's the same with LeBron James and all the other star players in the teams. In fact, now that Kobe is surrounded by better players, he no longer keeps the ball in his hands, he trusts that his teammates will complete the job. In past years, however, he couldn't trust them because they weren't competent enough to play the game, so I don't blame him for not passing the ball.

In other news, Carmelo Anthony has been traded to the New York Knicks.

Comment

yay!!! we agree!!
                  I used to hate watching the Lakers because it was all about Kobe Bryant and Shaq's pitiful duel of attention. Now it's more enjoyable because, as you said, they improved their team players as a whole (for all the different positions).

I still don't see how the NY Knicks is a good team.

Comment

They aren't, but will be when the team attracts a few more players. The New York Knicks will finally be a worthy team in a year or two.

Comment

At least they have their die-hards

Comment

Working...
                      X