Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Faith healing or inhuman sacrifice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith healing or inhuman sacrifice?

Faith healing or inhuman sacrifice?
    by Steve Duin, The Oregonian
    Saturday July 04, 2009, 10:37 AM

For the life of me, and the life of Ava Worthington, I'm not sure when during Thursday's courtroom testimony I forgot about her parents, trapped in their medieval mindset, and remembered their little girl, who was born fat and happy and didn't die that way.

Maybe it was watching defense attorney John Neidig place the autopsy photos face down in the lectern or question the deputy state medical examiner about the child's "dissection."

Perhaps it was when Dr. Sayonara Mato, a pediatrician at Legacy Emanuel, testified that Ava -- "a big baby to start with" -- spent most of her life falling "off the chart for both weight and height." When the toddler died at 15 months, anointed with oil, she was no bigger than the average 6-month-old.

Or maybe it was when Neidig tried to argue the child died not from neglect but from one of those "virulent" strains of pneumonia so common in these United States, and Dr. Christopher Young responded, "She statistically would be more likely to die from homicide than pneumonia."

Because we are desperate to believe that the familial bonds are sacred and reasonably private, her parents, Raylene and Carl Brent Worthington, are only charged with criminal mistreatment and second-degree manslaughter. They sat quietly through Thursday's testimony, as did the usual ensemble from their church, the Followers of Christ in Oregon City.

In the 25th chapter of Matthew's Gospel, Christ tells his followers that if they are not serving the hungry, the lost, the prisoners and the sick, they are not serving him. They will be told, Jesus says, on Judgment Day, "Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

The survivors in the Worthingtons' church apparently believe differently. They contend that trusting in doctors, hospitals and medicine betrays a lack of faith. The rows of graves in the church cemetery haven't changed their minds. Only the living, you see, have the luxury of pondering the mystery of God's random benevolence.

The prosecution is making a convincing case in this Oregon City courtroom that Ava Worthington wasn't felled by a sudden stab of pneumonia. She suffered for months. Because the swelling of the benign cystic hygroma on her neck compressed her airway and esophagus, she struggled to swallow, struggled to breathe, struggled to accept the nourishment she needed.

While Ava's head grew at a normal rate, Mato said, because the body was so desperate to protect her brain, the rest of her body steadily wasted away: "She stopped growing. That is not an overnight event. That takes months ... Her growth reflects there was a chronic problem."

Not a fatal one, however, for your average, God-fearing parent. Just a signal to go see a doctor, and gently place your child in the hands of someone who understands that bacteria and disease aren't tests of faith, but the inconveniences of life in a fallen world.

Unfortunately, the Worthingtons' faith and the Worthingtons' church shun those interventions. "I don't believe in (doctors)," Ava's father told detectives in Clackamas County's child-abuse unit. Medical treatment "is not a question. It's not even thought."

That is not love or faith or humility talking. That is pride.

In "The Prodigal God," Tim Keller revisits the parable of the son who returns home from a life of squalor and is met by the delight of his father and the bitterness of his older brother.

The son who is restored to the right relationship with the father, Keller reminds us, is the child who surrenders to the wiles of this world, not the uncompromising moralist who thinks he can win his reward and his ticket to eternal life by following a rigid set of rules that makes grace irrelevant.

The Worthingtons, and their supporters, are welcome to live by those rules, but their children -- too young to wave a weak hand of protest -- shouldn't have to die by them.
    MPO99BET Merupakan Situs Mpo Slot Online Deposit Qris Paling Lengkap. Daftar Penyedia Taruhan Depo Emoney & Pulsa Tanpa Potongagan 10ribu Terpercaya.

Re: Faith healing or inhuman sacrifice?

Haven't read everything but here's something I'd like to address...

They contend that trusting in doctors, hospitals and medicine betrays a lack of faith.
    This is BS. God is behind everything. If he didn't want something to happen ... IT WOULDN'T!

A short story...

A fanatic believer was drowing in the ocean and begged God to save him, praying constantly. Just at the momet, a boat was seen in the distance. It's crew wanted to help this fanatic but he wouldn't budge, saying, "God will save me!". So the crew left him where he was, realizing they couldn't persuade him. In the next ten min., another two boats sailed by but this fanatic still wouldn't accept any help ... stating that God would save him again and again. Eventually he drowned...

When he went to Heaven, he asked God why he abandonned him when he was drowning and God replied, "Who do you think sent you those boats?"

Moral: God asked you to believe, to love him unconditionally, and have faith ... not to be stupid !

I am completely against this and must add that this is NOT faith or religion or belief or anything else. This is fanaticism and very dangerous fanaticism, along with a lot of stupidity thrown in there.
    Last edited by Sako; 07-06-2009, 01:28 AM.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

True.

Comment

Absolutely. I'm glad you didn't ask me to prove that as well !

Comment

Originally posted by Sako View Post
          Absolutely. I'm glad you didn't ask me to prove that as well !
          I could but I am lazy right now.

Comment

I could but I am lazy right now.
            Your evil man. You ever think of becoming the devils right hand? You'd do a great a job

Comment

Working...
            X